Been busy fitting Solar, Inverter, 6 Leisure Batteries, and B2B Charger (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Whilst waiting for my new van to be registered in the UK and therefore stuck at home, I decided to use this time to carry out some essential as well as some none essential jobs.

Here's what I've done so far;

6 Leisure Batteries
We spend much of our time off grid, so battery capacity is important to us.
Our van was supplied with 1 leisure battery under the floor, which supplies the lighting, water pump etc, so I decided to add 6 Varta LFD 90's in the garage, on an independent circuit, simply to supply my inverter. The benefit of keeping the two sets of batteries separate is that when the inverter in drawing maximum current (about 125 amps) the led lights in the van won't dim.

8654811B-66AE-4391-AEC8-56A93B644A0A.jpeg

The batteries are connected using 70mm cable, so I invested in a hydraulic cable crimper which made attaching the cable terminal lugs quick and easy. I also invested in a hot air gun as there was a lot of heat shrink sleeving to apply.

Total battery capacity is now 540a

Total project cost £837.21

Victron Battery Monitor

Knowing the state of charge of my leisure batteries is very important, so I've fitted a Victron BMV700 battery monitor, plus an optional bluetooth dongle which allows me to see how my batteries are performing on the Victron App.

36E425E3-572D-4082-9FC2-79E63B656F67.jpeg

541DEB18-D490-432A-A1B4-1040E47566FE.png

Total project cost £179.08

600W Solar Panels
To help keep our 6 leisure batteries topped up we have invested in 5 solar panels from Photonic Universe. These have been fitted using aluminium brackets which I purchased from Ebay, the supplier cut them to the correct size at no extra cost. I chose a Victron MMPT 100/50 solar controller, which as an output of up to 50 amps and connects to an App on my phone which shows at a glance how the panels are performing.

A6E3FD84-46EA-4537-AD6D-26895E9806D7.png

When I tested the panels at 3pm this afternoon they were generating over 250w in October sunshine

032E0260-ABAE-4621-AA0C-5179EF55AF54.jpeg

387E18A2-F951-43A8-A013-4BDE1A62C5C4.jpeg

DC23F266-8538-4BEE-89E4-4B9036CAC6ED.jpeg

The panels not only make optimum use of the space available on the roof, but are also very close together, meaning that I was able to run the cables on the underside of the panels ensuring that there is very little exposed cable and no cable trunking on the roof. I've connected the panels in parallel using 2 pairs of 6mm cables, which are then joined together before entering the solar controller in 10mm cable.

Total project cost £1,150.14

Sterling B2B Charger
I've installed a Sterling 60A battery to battery charger as the leisure batteries are independent of the factory fitted leisure battery and as such have no access to the on board charging system. I ran the cables from the engine battery to the garage by following the cable runs that the van manufacturer used. To make it easier working under the van I invested in a mechanics lie on trolley.

4E0CFF64-7D0D-454E-BBA3-B1FF8FB726A5.jpeg

I also fitted a Sterling Battery Maintainer, which is a more powerful version of a Battery Master in that it charges at 3a. I have used this to trickle charge the single leisure battery from the battery bank that I fitted in the garage.

B69938BA-1515-4BBF-9C8E-461F82025CEA.jpeg

Total project cost £424.30

2kw Inverter
To enable us to enjoy life's little luxuries whilst on the move, I have installed a Victron MulitPlus Compact 12/2000/80-30 inverter charger. This manages the onboard 230V circuit, and in the event of EHU being lost instantly restores power and provides a stable 2k power supply.
It is switched by a remote control which I have mounted in a cupboard, allowing me to turn off the inverter when not in use. The inverter is connected to all the power points in the van and has a dedicated mini RCD consumer unit.
I also invested in a Victron Mk 3 interface which allows me to connect the inverter to my PC so that I can

332EE408-A762-4D7C-9A4A-A76DF266A650.jpeg

Total project cost £1250.44

I'd like to thank @Lenny HB who helped me plan the project.

Projects still to be done;
Refillable gas bottles
Fit automatic washing machine
Fridge fans
Wine chiller
Smoke alarm and fire extinquisher
New curtains (Sadly Mrs C rejected the factory fitted ones)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Very tidy job Robert,
Your a braver man than me drilling into a brand new van...

Silly question as I don’t have a Scooby Doo about electrics but when the batteries are fully charged what happens to the power generated by solar panels?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Very tidy job Robert,
Your a braver man than me drilling into a brand new van...

Silly question as I don’t have a Scooby Doo about electrics but when the batteries are fully charged what happens to the power generated by solar panels?
It goes to waste sadly

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wow what a major job well done!
Think how much it would have been if you had paid someone and they might not have done such a good job.(y)
Obviously it’s got a massive payload!!
Washing machine aswell!
( are you getting an ice machine
# justaskingforafriendwholikesiceinhergin!!):LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I thought your ambitions were aiming a bit low until I read you plan to fit a wine cooler. A really sensible extra! :)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Nice job @Robert Clark :)

Funnily enough you've fitted a number of the components we are looking at for our re-fit.

We are going the lithium route, but thinking of using the same sterling B2B (except 120a version), the same Inverter/Charger (except the 1600w version) and the same MPPT. All of the above can work with LifePo4 by the way - so great for you if you decide to change from Lead Acid in the future :)

I'd be very interested in any updates you might post about how it's all working over time :)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Nice job Robert, I’m going to upgrade my system a bit more when my current 2 banner agm’s give up.... which I’m informed they will...?

Currently have 300w panels 1800w inverter running through victron controller....

But my dilemma is I may have to put the extra batteries in a nearby locker....

Less wine space or more batteries..... (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well done sir. Totally independent.
Happy travels.
Mitch.
PS. If we see you on our travels, I shall sneak over in the night and "plug in" ! ! ! !
Mitch.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
By the way what’s the black little Ariel for on the roof..... radio..?
Yes its a radio aerial.
I'm wondering if it does TV too, as we had a similar one on our last van which did both.
If it doesn't do TV, I won't bother fitting one, as we seldom watch TV in the UK

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Should have gone Votronic with AES output for S+ fridge control;)

Martin
I did consider that Martin, but decided with there being a wine cooler in the garage running on 230V, there may not be much spare solar to run the fridge as well.
Plus I LOVE Victron kit, so it was a no brainer

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Firstly, i think that load is a seriously impressive piece of kit.
Just wondering about the practicalities of it though. Not wanting to be a sourpuss or similar but we dont do electric hook up and only have 120 watts solar panel and a couple of batteries with 12 volt lighting and tv (Gas does all the heating and cooking fridge) and although we are away in the summer in France, we dont even bother with taking the electric hook up anymore.
I cant see how we would use anywhere near 6 batteries worth of electric (struggling to use one up)
Washing machine as well.... that is quite a weight.
Looks really well done though. Congrats.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back