Been busy fitting Solar, Inverter, 6 Leisure Batteries, and B2B Charger (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Robert, firstly very nice job looks great, secondly whilst others may think your spending loads..... I believe in an old saying I heard years ago "there are no pockets in a shroud", so spend it, enjoy it and lastly who gives a shit what others think............... ENJOY.
If that is aimed at me , you are wrong, and I think at least @Robert Clark knows this, I have every admiration for his life style , and would have loved to do the same if I was twenty years younger, I was just commenting on the difference in value of our respective vans, and no I am not envious either, I would be afraid of ever getting on the road and scratching it.:(:):)(y)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Be careful you don't compromise your payload Robert - extract below from N+B Arto brochure.

What is the maximum load weight of the rear garage area?
250 kilograms.
On which chassis is the Arto built?
Always on a Fiat Ducato base with the AL-KO low-frame chassis.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If that is aimed at me , you are wrong, and I think at least @Robert Clark knows this, I have every admiration for his life style , and would have loved to do the same if I was twenty years younger, I was just commenting on the difference in value of our respective vans, and no I am not envious either, I would be afraid of ever getting on the road and scratching it.:(:):)(y)
As many on there know me if it was aimed at you I would have said. It was not, it was a general quote, sorry if you read it that way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Thats a really good job Robert ,im always in awe of people like your good self that have the knowledge and technical knowhow to carry out such work .my DIY and techno skills are zero :LOL:.
well done(y)
Brian & Jo

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can I just ask without it being misconstrued? What do you do with all the electric, we have just two 85amp batterys and two 100w Solars and on our last 5 week trip never came anywhere near running out of power without hookup, we did do a fair bit of driving though which topped them up, but you also get about a bit on your tours.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Time to invest in an iPhone charger then !

F1BE867F-7396-4FA7-9DD5-964DCE4D6060.png

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Can I just ask without it being misconstrued? What do you do with all the electric, we have just two 85amp batterys and two 100w Solars and on our last 5 week trip never came anywhere near running out of power without hookup, we did do a fair bit of driving though which topped them up, but you also get about a bit on your tours.
Our major power consumers are our Nespresso coffee machine and secondly Mrs C’s hair dryer. We also carry a mini washing machine. We also find that Dometic absobsion fridges suffer in the heat so also have a wine cooler fridge (compressor), so are sure of keeping things really cold.
When at home I love drinking warm English beer, but in the sun only a ice cold lager will do.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Our major power consumers are our Nespresso coffee machine and secondly Mrs C’s hair dryer. We also carry a mini washing machine. We also find that Dometic absobsion fridges suffer in the heat so also have a wine cooler fridge (compressor), so are sure of keeping things really cold.
When at home I love drinking warm English beer, but in the sun only a ice cold lager will do.
I agree. I too have a multiple battery set up, large inverter, multiple solar panel set up, hi output B2B and have a huge consumption of mains!

I also have a 6Kva built in generator, as a back up. I think having a wine/beer cooler in a locker is a wondrous thing, and saves clogging up the fridge freezer with booze, and not having a hair dryer available 24/7 is not an option as far as my wife is concerned.

We could compromise, but why should we? With my set up I can use my camper pretty much anywhere, and use every gadget fitted anytime.

I still work full time, so Like Robert and Mrs C value our time off, so if we enjoy a cold beer or glass of wine, or my wife is happier using a hairdryer than hanging her head out of the window, or kneeling on the floor in front of a blown air outlet, so be it.

To further irritate some (y) my Satellite TV set up is 220 volt, as are the two domestic sized TV's in the camper, as is the mini Dyson, the rechargeable hand held Dyson and one of my ovens (I love cooking ;))

Great installation Robert, keep the pictures coming!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Sounds like great set up, I used to have a 460AH battery bank 2x230AH with 240w of solar and a 1000w inverter. I never ran out of power.

One question though, did you weigh all the bits so you have an idea of weight as iirc my 2 batteries weighed 120KG.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sounds like great set up, I used to have a 460AH battery bank 2x230AH with 240w of solar and a 1000w inverter. I never ran out of power.

One question though, did you weigh all the bits so you have an idea of weight as iirc my 2 batteries weighed 120KG.
I have considered weight, most product spec sheets include the weight so I haven't needed to weigh anything yet.
If I do have a problem with weight I could always move stuff from the garage to the under floor in the main cabin.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
To further irritate some (y) my Satellite TV set up is 220 volt, as are the two domestic sized TV's in the camper, as is the mini Dyson, the rechargeable hand held Dyson and one of my ovens (I love cooking ;))

Oh dear !!

Thanks for reminding me Eddie, but I clean forgot to mention that our TV is 220V and our rechargeable Dyson, and the chargers for our electric bikes, and our electric toothbrush, and my shaver charger and our slow cooker, and Mrs C had an electric toaster hidden away somewhere.

I hope we don't incur the wrath of the Decadent Appliance Police

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Oh dear !!

Thanks for reminding me Eddie, but I clean forgot to mention that our TV is 220V and our rechargeable Dyson, and the chargers for our electric bikes, and our electric toothbrush, and my shaver charger and our slow cooker, and Mrs C had an electric toaster hidden away somewhere.

I hope we don't incur the wrath of the Decadent Appliance Police
Well if we are coming clean. My electric car, I tow on a electromagnetic A Frame. It charges from the retarding braking system on the RV which runs on LPG

Forgotten about charging the electric bikes, toothbrushes, toaster, and Chef Aid Mixer, and Halogen oven (Oh and a Remoska)(electric knife sharpener)

Two last pieces of decadence (as deemed by the pull another blanket over you :LOL:;)) We have a heated towel rail in the bathroom which is brilliant and we have a LED, fake log effect, fire with built in heater! realistic enough that people try and "warm their hands"

Simple things :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well if we are coming clean. My electric car, I tow on a electromagnetic A Frame. It charges from the retarding braking system on the RV which runs on LPG

Forgotten about charging the electric bikes, toothbrushes, toaster, and Chef Aid Mixer, and Halogen oven (Oh and a Remoska)(electric knife sharpener)

Two last pieces of decadence (as deemed by the pull another blanket over you :LOL:;)) We have a heated towel rail in the bathroom which is brilliant and we have a LED, fake log effect, fire with built in heater! realistic enough that people try and "warm their hands"

Simple things :)
I was joking about the car! It runs on petrol, but that has given me an idea lol

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I feel your pain Robert, sharp has no concept of what she uses, typical day.... electric kettle on for tea, sometimes goes on twice for one cup as she flutters around, shower, hairdryer and straighteners cup of tea again then may have the ramuoska on for the morning..... sat tv for most of the evening... thankfully it all held out for the six weeks away we just came back from:D2

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I was joking about the car! It runs on petrol, but that has given me an idea lol
We’ve got a couple of electric cars and we’re told never to tow them as it causes them to catch fire. They need to go on a trailer
But I’m hoping that one day regenerative braking is an option on mh’s

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Dave
I connected the B2B directly from the engine battery to the garage. Sterling recommend different size cables depending on the cable length. For runs upto 8m they suggest 16mm.
You can download the installation manual from their website

Hope this helps
Hi Robert,

Yes that’s great thanks :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nice job Robert, I’m going to upgrade my system a bit more when my current 2 banner agm’s give up.... which I’m informed they will...?
Shouldn't have long to wait.:D2
But my dilemma is I may have to put the extra batteries in a nearby locker....
Less wine space or more batteries..... (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)
Wine cheap in France/Spain/Portugal/Italy etc and freely avalible.
No battery power, nothing works and that means no ice for the G&T's.:D
In our van ice for the G&T's is not negotiable.
By the way what’s the black little Ariel for on the roof..... radio..?
Fairly certain it is the same as Hymer now fit, does FM radio, DAB radio & TV with seperate amplifiers for each and it works very well, couldn't be bothered to put the sat dish up last night, had perfect HD picturer on the TV from it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Fairly certain it is the same as Hymer now fit, does FM radio, DAB radio & TV with seperate amplifiers for each and it works very well, couldn't be bothered to put the sat dish up last night, had perfect HD picturer on the TV from it.

I think the question re "little black ariel" was aimed at Roberts roof in which case I would say yes to radio, actauly the roof hatches and fittings including that "little black ariel" look very similar to our Flair roof which is 12 years older.

Martin

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I think I'm suffering from 'kit envy'. :D

That is looking like a very nice job Robert, just wish I was as confident about installing kit in a brand new van. (y)
Can't wait for a guided tour when we next meet up somewhere.

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think the question re "little black ariel" was aimed at Roberts roof in which case I would say yes to radio, actauly the roof hatches and fittings including that "little black ariel" look very similar to our Flair roof which is 12 years older.

Martin
Yes identical to the one on my Hymer, it is for FM, DAB & TV with separate amplifiers.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes identical to the one on my Hymer, it is for FM, DAB & TV with separate amplifiers.
TV on the "little black ariel" it might look the same as ours but it's advanced a bit obviously.

Martin

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yep, get perfect HD reception with it & the DAB is very good as well.
I found some cables near our TV, I thought it was a pre installation for Satelite. Do you reckon it might be terrestrial signal from the roof aerial ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back