Been busy fitting Solar, Inverter, 6 Leisure Batteries, and B2B Charger (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I found some cables near our TV, I thought it was a pre installation for Satelite. Do you reckon it might be terrestrial signal from the roof aerial ?
Yes Germans use an F connector for TV aerial where as in the UK we only use F connectors for satellite.
For it to work you need to turn on the 5v antenna supply in your TV menu (or buy a new TV). If your TV doesn't have it you could use a supply intended for a masthead ampilfier providing it's a 5v one.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Shouldn't have long to wait.:D2

Wine cheap in France/Spain/Portugal/Italy etc and freely avalible.
No battery power, nothing works and that means no ice for the G&T's.:D
In our van ice for the G&T's is not negotiable.

Fairly certain it is the same as Hymer now fit, does FM radio, DAB radio & TV with seperate amplifiers for each and it works very well, couldn't be bothered to put the sat dish up last night, had perfect HD picturer on the TV from it.

And guess who I’m coming to when I’m going to do all these things to my van.....:rolleyes: :D2

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
An impressive effort without doubt. Your batteries alone weigh 150 Kgs (and there was me wondering about whether to fit an extra 12Kgs of battery) - I just hope that corner of your boot can handle it long term.

My nightmare would be driving over the first decent sized speed bump or ferry ramp and seeing all the electrics suddenly go off :)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Very nice set up and well done for doing it yourself. I recognise the wood and cupboard handles so assume its a N&B Flair you have purchased?
I had the exact set up installed in my Flair (factory fit - not brave enough) and as you say Victron is a great piece of kit. My favourite feature was the load share ability, I used that more than anything when plugged into 4amp supplies and borrowing the rest from the batteries was great.
Did you consider using a Lithium Ion Battery? I'm very impressed with them
Morelo install MasterVolt system which IMHO is not nearly as good.

Well done!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Very nice set up and well done for doing it yourself. I recognise the wood and cupboard handles so assume its a N&B Flair you have purchased?
I had the exact set up installed in my Flair (factory fit - not brave enough) and as you say Victron is a great piece of kit. My favourite feature was the load share ability, I used that more than anything when plugged into 4amp supplies and borrowing the rest from the batteries was great.
Did you consider using a Lithium Ion Battery? I'm very impressed with them
Morelo install MasterVolt system which IMHO is not nearly as good.

Well done!

It’s an Arto 78F Island bed model.

Did consider Lithium batteries but didn’t find a reliable supplier who offered a reasonable cost option.

Edit: was just looking at Victron lithium batteries, about £1,100 for 90ah and they only come with a 2 year guarantee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Robert

Great job.

Thankfully we do not have your electric needs.

However our Sterling B2B does a great job for us combined with 2 X 90A hab batteries, but then we move every 2-3 days because we cannot be away long.

What is the max weight of your Arto? Was that the ex-Polch figure or have you uprated(with or without additions)?

One worry I would have about fitting so much gear and its cost is losing C1 entitlement after 3 years and then not being able to recoup the cost on a re-sale.

Geoff

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert

Great job.

Thankfully we do not have your electric needs.

However our Sterling B2B does a great job for us combined with 2 X 90A hab batteries, but then we move every 2-3 days because we cannot be away long.

What is the max weight of your Arto? Was that the ex-Polch figure or have you uprated(with or without additions)?

One worry I would have about fitting so much gear and its cost is losing C1 entitlement after 3 years and then not being able to recoup the cost on a re-sale.

Geoff

Hi Geoff
We ordered full air suspension to be factory fitted so got a free uprate to 4800kg by the factory.
This gives us 1,100kg payload.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes Germans use an F connector for TV aerial where as in the UK we only use F connectors for satellite.
For it to work you need to turn on the 5v antenna supply in your TV menu (or buy a new TV). If your TV doesn't have it you could use a supply intended for a masthead ampilfier providing it's a 5v one.

Lenny
Just took another closer look and the coax cable Is spotted is in the bathroom, ready for the bedroom TV
There doesn't appear to be Coax pre installed for the lounge TV.
Might have a look above the oven and see if its coiled up there and what exactly is coming out of the bottom of the Aerial, as it enters the van there.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
factory fit - not brave enough) and as you say Victron is a great piece of kit. My favourite feature was the load share ability, I used that more than anything when plugged into 4amp supplies and borrowing the rest from the batteries was great.
Excuse my ignorance but what part of the kit that Robert has installed has the load sharing facility as this sounds quite a useful tool

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Excuse my ignorance but what part of the kit that Robert has installed has the load sharing facility as this sounds quite a useful tool
It is called an inverter - charger In essence if the unit detects that the load (what they are using) is higher than the supply (the mains available via the hook up lead) the battery charger will turn off (improving the situation) and start to invert (make hook up from the power in the batteries) to make up the shortfall in the hookup

When things return to normal (the load is lower than the available supply) the inverter turns off, reverts to being a charger and replaces the power taken from the batteries to solve the problem

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
May have dropped back down behind the panel, found this pic of a 2018 van.
upload_2017-10-26_16-47-47.png

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We’ve got a couple of electric cars and we’re told never to tow them as it causes them to catch fire. They need to go on a trailer
But I’m hoping that one day regenerative braking is an option on mh’s
& when they do catch fire they are extremely hard to put out & require monitoring for some period once out as they can reignite.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Nice job there. Makes my one solar panel and 110 amp GEL battery look quiet miserable. But it works for us. I did think of getting a second 110 amp GEL battery but haven't found a need for it yet. Other than lighting, heating fan motor and the TV we don't really have any other demands. Oh recharging mobile phones. You have made me envious and I'm tempted to go for that second GEL battery.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Today’s project was to fit 11kg Gaslow refillable bottles into my gas locker.

I chose Gaslow over Alugas as the Gaslow ones are factory fitted with a filter.

Started by cutting two discs of carpet to prevent the bottle from marking the base of the cabinet.

4ADFE03A-48F1-4BA3-A20D-AB85BC9DCA9E.jpeg

Next I cut a hole in the skirting for the Euro filler panel. The filler came with a self adhesives template for marking the holes.

092B3A16-9976-4FB4-AEF9-EA523E7A5F2E.jpeg

1039A754-B5F6-4258-A21C-67307C7AADA4.jpeg

812F08BC-D1D2-4CCA-8FC3-DA97EC66745E.jpeg

After fitting the filler I ran the pipe to the gas locker, clipping it to the back of the skirting.

9A7EE56A-C022-435A-B0F7-BF1C37AB06BA.jpeg

I then connected the bottles to each other and to the regulator.

E46936DE-064F-4990-8226-BA0F667A3940.jpeg

DB32E47E-17A0-4F76-8779-92DCA3E048EF.jpeg

Taking care to make an uphill run to the regulator, do that any condensation falls back towards the gas bottles

F61C5E30-0528-499E-B493-980F8EC2921E.jpeg

Finally I connected the bottle that the dealer had supplied with the van to the external filler point, to allow me to check for leaks.

51BAE8EE-2F2E-431C-BDC6-43DC9F4DEB8C.jpeg

I bought the bottles as a complete kit from Autogas 2000

Total project cost £493.56.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Today’s project was to fit 11kg Gaslow refillable bottles into my gas locker.

I chose Gaslow over Alugas as the Gaslow ones are factory fitted with a filter.

Started by cutting two discs of carpet to prevent the bottle from marking the base of the cabinet.

View attachment 194165

Next I cut a hole in the skirting for the Euro filler panel. The filler came with a self adhesives template for marking the holes.

View attachment 194166

View attachment 194167

View attachment 194168

After fitting the filler I ran the pipe to the gas locker, clipping it to the back of the skirting.

View attachment 194169

I then connected the bottles to each other and to the regulator.

View attachment 194163

View attachment 194162

Taking care to make an uphill run to the regulator, do that any condensation falls back towards the gas bottles

View attachment 194164

Finally I connected the bottle that the dealer had supplied with the van to the external filler point, to allow me to check for leaks.

View attachment 194161

I bought the bottles as a complete kit from Autogas 2000

Total project cost £493.56.
Not doubting that they will be there somewhere, but can't see any holes in the base to let any escape ing gas out

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Not doubting that they will be there somewhere, but can't see any holes in the base to let any escape ing gas out
The gas locker is vented
Thanks for asking

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Nice job, I particularly like the clipping down of the hoses..... I’ll copy that if you don’t mind Robert....(y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
9a7ee56a-c022-435a-b0f7-bf1c37ab06ba-jpeg.194169

It might be a trick of the light, or a mark but that metal band looks as if its fractured just above the rivets :cautious: ?
Surely not, on a quality German van.
Well spotted !
It’s a splodge of black Sikaflex or similar

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back