LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
So they have 4 designated caravan bays for the whole town and wonder why people having staycations end up parking in random places
1597765409960.png

Maybe one of the 64 other sites (where they may have to contribute)?

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
So, HGV drivers will get penalty notices for parking and sleeping overnight in a lay-by?

There is only one reason for banning 'overnighting' in a car park where other vehicles without occupants are allowed to park overnight is to fill the pockets of camp site owners.

Yes, some inconsiderate idiots leave rubbish but it's not just motor home users that do that, just look at any car park near a fast food outlet.
Others, not just motor home users, make a noise in the 'quiet hours' but so do many inconsiderate car owners.

ALL local authorities need to get a grip on the possibilities of revenue earning from their parking areas and overnight parking for motor homes, Torridge District Council have done it so have Chester, Hawick, Cambridge and many others. If Pembrokeshire and others with the same attitude don't understand what is required they should get out into Europe and learn how it's done and then follow the European example.

Sorry I don't class myself as a FLT but I don't like most camp sites and I don't mind paying a reasonable price to park overnight within a community and partake of its commerce or in a beautiful remote spot.

After all if I am touring and wish to stop in the early evening, eat (local restaurant or in the camper), sleep overnight, have breakfast and move on why on earth would I want to pay £20 or more for the privilege of a parking space on a camp site? I'm self contained and at the most need to fill and empty grey & black for which a small fee is quite acceptable. I have no problem with spaces for 'overnighting' being limited to protect the environment and strongly enforced if reasonably adequate are provided.

PS You would never guess that I love the French way of doing things would you?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
If we are all sensible..there would be no problems. It's the folks who don't really give a toss who are to blame. I personally agree with him and I believe that what they should do is actually.. Get a security guy to lower a barrier of a night time to prevent it. Any one who needs a space to stop would have already thought about it Im sure.
It only takes a few to screw it up for us all. That goes for life too!

Kev

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
View attachment 416793

Maybe one of the 64 other sites (where they may have to contribute)?
Sites .I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Most contain other people, children, bars, swimming pools etc;etc; something many of us have no need or use for.
but I don't like most camp sites
+1
Call me Old fashioned, but I tend to go the weekend I have a booking rather than turning up and 'chancing it'.
That's the problem." Booking" many wish to just travel, stop ,sleep , move on.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

That's fine, no problem with that, just do it legally without inconveniencing everyone / anyone else (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Totaly agree booking goes against the grain when it comes to Motorhoming, never know where will end one day to the next.
If I had to book every time I went anywhere it would be time to give up the Motorhome, might as well stay in a Hotel.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I'd happily see Illegally parked Motorhomes taken away and crushed. Those who prefer doing it the French way know where they can go ;)

If it's not legal then, please - go to where it is. Don't try and impose your preferences on the rest of us!

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'd happily see Illegally parked Motorhomes taken away and crushed. Those who prefer doing it the French way know where they can go ;)

If it's not legal then, please - go to where it is. Don't try and impose your preferences on the rest of us!
The majority are parked legally, those that aren't are being fined - that's deterrent enough surely. More places to park and better facilities are the answer, most FTL/FLT's would pay a reasonable amount for the privilige

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
People have to recognise that they don't have a right to just pull up where they like and stay overnight. Particularly that many areas are struggling with Covid and communities are nervous, this type of behaviour is only going to add to antagonism and withdrawal of any limited facilities and tolerance. It certainly won't encourage authorities to make greater provision when the community sees the visitors as a nuisance rather than benefit. The articles suggest many are not simply staying overnight, but are there far outstaying their welcome and at the same time creating problems by insanitary waste dumping, obstructing emergency services and similar. If this behaviour (even if it is from a minority) doesn't change swiftly so people show respect to an area, motorhoming, campervans, caravaners are all going to become persona non gratis in many areas.

There seems to be a protest that they only have 4 suitable spaces. I say congratulations that they made that provision. Many areas have none. We have to recognise the authorities aren't compelled to provide facilities, indeed in many areas, even public toilets are closed (before covid) as an expense they couldn't afford. Reality is don't blame the authorities for not accommodating, blame the people who are abusing the area when they know the facilities don't exist.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Call me Old fashioned, but I tend to go the weekend I have a booking rather than turning up and 'chancing it'.
I wouldn't call you old fashioned - just different to me. I prefer to wing it and not have to be a slave to an itinerary. But I wouldn't park illegally, or leave my mess anywhere.

It's just the same old story - a minority spoil it for everyone.

So don't beat everyone with a big stick - deal with those individuals that behave badly please!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I have gone - to Europe where we are welcome.

Wales seems to be out of step with its EU cousins.

Not so easy in Poland, the e.u.'s beggar.

Poland
Wild camping in Poland is illegal. You are probably thinking of the Tatra and Karkonosze Mountains if you want to wild camp. Unfortunately, those mountains are very crowded and there is a good chance you will get caught if you wild camp there. You aren’t even allowed off the paths at those mountains. However, you might be able to find secluded places in other parts of Poland (outside of National Parks) where you could get away with wild camping.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Try finding a site in the UK outside of March to September that is even open, or a CL or CS that isn't a muddy field in Winter.

Not everyone with a motorhome treats it like a caravan or just wants to tour in the Summer.

You get to a site before 'lockup', pay for a 'day' and have to leave by 11 the next day.

Pay and display parking with a 24 hour, no return policy is all that many motorhomers want.

And why not reopen public toilets with waste disposal points? - closing public toilets should not have been allowed on public health grounds anyway

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It is all a bit daft in Pembrokeshire this year. There are an unprecedented number of visitors.There are cars and vans parked everywhere at all the beaches.

Its not motorhome owners leaving the mess it’s trendy surfer types in their VW pop tops and tenters.

The idiots park each side of already narrow roads and it’s chaotic. I heard a story that last week it took someone 30 minutes to drive along Freshwater West beach which must be 1/2 a mile max. Surf boards left in the road and general obstructions from people who don’t really give a shit about anyone other than themselves.

I applaud Pembrokeshire CC for doing something about it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
People have to recognise that they don't have a right to just pull up where they like and stay overnight.

But they do have the right. Unless of course they are irresponsibly overnighting where it is against local laws to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back