B to B or split charge relay charger in Elddis Accordo? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

BillyboyfaeBuckie

Free Member
Dec 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
I have an Elddis Accordo 120 and would like to know what sort of split charge system is fitted. I can find nothing in the van to give me a clue apart from the attached photos of something on the negative of the starter battery. The year of manufacture is 2017.
20221120_133828.jpg
20221120_133839.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
On ours the +ve red cable goes to a relay box in the pillar behind the drivers seat then onto the BCA fuse box where there's about 10 more relays, I suppose a relay connects the two batteries when D+ is 14v

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The positive terminal is just all the standard Fiat fuses.
The relay in the negative terminal is a high power latching relay not seen one of those fitted before, often used for emergency battery disconnect.

2017 so unlikely to have a B2B so you probably will have a relay for split charge somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
The positive terminal is just all the standard Fiat fuses.
The relay in the negative terminal is a high power latching relay not seen one of those fitted before, often used for emergency battery disconnect.

2017 so unlikely to have a B2B so you probably will have a relay for split charge somewhere.
Were Ducato models not fitted with 'stop-start' and intelligent alternators by 2017?

Rule of thumb is if the vehicle is fitted with the above then it should have a B2B unit to charge the leisure battery(ies). Not as though this seems to have been implemented by many motor home builders. The exception is when the leisure battery(ies) are integrated into the OEM charging system with battery monitoring working with the alternator controls. i.e. the latest VW Grand California etc. which of course is built as a motor caravan by base vehicle manufacturer.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Were Ducato models not fitted with 'stop-start' and intelligent alternators by 2017?
Vans were but Motorhome chassis didn't get smart alternators until Euro 6d around September 2019.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
If it's a BCA pdu then it's highly unlikely to a smart alternator.

On BCA pdu's the split charge relay in built in to the pcb and a real pain to work out which relay it is - need to sort out my Bailey MH, but it's been to cold recently.
Now I've got xmas and frozen MH pipes to sort out 1st - drained down but taps left closed. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On BCA pdu's the split charge relay in built in to the pcb and a real pain to work out which relay it is
Do you have a photo of the BCA PDU, with the PCB visible? Usually the split charge relay is on the shortest path between the leisure battery terminal and the starter battery terminal. With some short wide PCB tracks to the relay power terminals. And it will be one of the biggest relays on the PCB.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Unfortunately Bailey have put the BCA PDU in the bottom of the wardrobe which is extremely difficult to access.

I will probably have to dismantle the wardrobe when I install Votronic B2B, Victron IP22 mains charger & Ablemain (which is stuck in a sorting office que), which will be after I sort out the damage to the water pipes, as I failed to leave the taps open after draining down. So may be a few months away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BillyboyfaeBuckie

BillyboyfaeBuckie

Free Member
Dec 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Thanks guys for the help so far. My Pdu is indeed at the bottom of the wardrobe, just a sealed white box with the fuse panel built in so that you can access all the small blade fuses from the front and also the 240v circuit breakers. I have come to the conclusion that I don't have a B2b system. I would love to fit a Victron to back up the split charge relay but it all looks a bit beyond my capabilities. I see that you can buy a kit so I might look into that. Sorry to hear about your frost damage Artilleryman, haven't tried mine yet but usually withstand any amount of frost as long as all taps open.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
At least my PDU is set back so I can access the screws that mount it to the floor, my access flap is by the entry step, with another access panel at the front of the wardrobe.

I'm hoping that the floor panel of the wardrobe unscrews and the shelf underneath is the same.

As I've already (just) installed a LiFePO4 120AH battery and Victron SmartSolar mppt 75/15, the rest will need to be done before next season.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
At least my PDU is set back so I can access the screws that mount it to the floor, my access flap is by the entry step, with another access panel at the front of the wardrobe.

I'm hoping that the floor panel of the wardrobe unscrews and the shelf underneath is the same.

As I've already (just) installed a LiFePO4 120AH battery and Victron SmartSolar mppt 75/15, the rest will need to be done before next season.
Photo's

Attachments

• IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Vans were but Motorhome chassis didn't get smart alternators until Euro 6d around September 2019.
A very tongue in cheek reply...

Sorry to hear that the Ducato chassis specifications were so far behind the other manufacturers. :xwink: My 2016 T6 VW has a smart alternator so I thought most other makes would be up to the same level of technology.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A very tongue in cheek reply...

Sorry to hear that the Ducato chassis specifications were so far behind the other manufacturers. :xwink: My 2016 T6 VW has a smart alternator so I thought most other makes would be up to the same level of technology.
Not behind they held off the smart alternator for Motorhome converters as a standard alternator is more suitable for use in a Motorhome. :xsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BillyboyfaeBuckie

BillyboyfaeBuckie

Free Member
Dec 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
If I don't have a smart alternator then at least I'm getting full voltage all the time through the split charge relay. Not ideal but better than having a smart alternator but without a B2B. Anyway I might take the plunge and go for a B2B kit from Simply Split.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
If I don't have a smart alternator then at least I'm getting full voltage all the time through the split charge relay. Not ideal but better than having a smart alternator but without a B2B. Anyway I might take the plunge and go for a B2B kit from Simply Split.
I would suggest the Votronic 3324 VCC 1212 30 as this gets good revue's here, not sure about a pre made cable kit - but then I have crimping tools so am confident about my crimped joints - and I can choose where to fit all the components, rather than how long are the cables.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back