At what stage would you say, Enough is enough.????? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
They've always had them haven't they?
Hi.
Thats the way to start off with them. You go to a selection day,get shown what is/may be involved.if you are OK. They send you to a site with an experienced Warden and learn the booking in and out, site keeping procedures. Every one likes clean wash bowls,toilets etc,so you will be taking your turn on that.
Pluses. On the site we started,with the static vans,there would be BBQ's most weekends that you got an invite to,one chap had a bakery and he would now and again bring in a tray of burger buns,ladies brought home made cakes,blokes brought wine and beer. If they wanted me between b/fast and dinner,they would see where the mowing tractor was and i would be near it drinking tea or coffee.
Meeting and chatting to all sorts of people. Our idea was to do it in the summer,then when getting paid off,just jump on a ferry and off down the med. House prices were rising so fast that they would not give you a price till the build was up to first floor,so we pulled the pin and went back into bricks and mortar.
It is what YOU make it
Tea Bag

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Enjoying MH at present and love our trips out in Pembs. 20-30 mins and we end up in a lovely spot. Looking forward to heading off abroad at the end of the year.

In my 50s and retired so count myself as lucky and going to make the most of it. The main thing is we both enjoy it. When that changes then time to try something else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
As a family retired from camping / motorhoming several years ago.

Now brought a lodge (must be a name for such Muppets but it's freehold and Scandinavian)

But still use the van for visiting parents and short trips to coast / dales.

Cheers James

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
After all that has happened in the last 4 years or so we decided to give up at the beginning of this year.
But............. preparing the van for sale made us think again and that, coupled with the current scarcity/price of alternatives, convinced us to give it another go.
Enjoyed the Norfolk show (even though it was a long drive) and have booked for Lincoln. Also hope to get a few C&CC rallies/THSs in before the end of the year and get back to proper plannig of longer trips next year.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Well I've just done two weeks away on a vanventure and I got told that we moved to much and it would been more enjoyable staying in one place for longer.....

That was probably our issue too inasmuch as the stress of finding new spots in some of the places we visited was quite stressful at times.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Currently being forced to stay at home since May due to a very badly broken leg* and it's looking like another 6 weeks housebound. This has made me realise just how hard it is not doing what I usually take for granted, especially motorhoming and motorcycling. This period of forced "rest" has made me resolve to not only appreciate more what I enjoy doing when my life gets back to normal.

*PS not motorcyling related but a domestic ladder malfunction 😜 Should know better at 76 !

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
After all that has happened in the last 4 years or so we decided to give up at the beginning of this year.
But............. preparing the van for sale made us think again and that, coupled with the current scarcity/price of alternatives, convinced us to give it another go.
Enjoyed the Norfolk show (even though it was a long drive) and have booked for Lincoln. Also hope to get a few C&CC rallies/THSs in before the end of the year and get back to proper plannig of longer trips next year.
Glad you came to your senses!:LOL:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am knocking on 80 and having just had one of our best trips driving via Italy and two ferries to Patmos Island, Greece then ferry and flying back, we are looking forward to returning to do the reverse trip in a couple of weeks.

What would make me give up? Not lack of enthusiasm for the lifestyle. Maybe loss of C1 licence but it Poland it lasts for 5 years, even then I would kick OH's butt to do her C1.

So basically I cannot envisage any reason to give up in the foreseeable future.

Of course death might change that view.

Geoff

Mar 9, 2013
amlwch ynysmon
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 620
Exp
Caravan 1990_2013/ motorhome2013-

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Good question old mo :unsure: but
Our mh life only started in 2019, feeling blessed we had the financial opportunity to do it, yes such a massive learning curve,...hubby gets home, face pale and says" I've not got a clue"
We both work full time, in our early/ mix fifties, but each trip, brings excitement, energy and life into us both even stopping in a secluded layby outside hubby old village where he grew up, stopping for cuppa, chill for few hours, was pure ...no words! Just thinking of it makes me 😃
I think for me, us...when that stops, then is our time until then, worries about MOT/Insurace..what ifs?? ..oh God how do we sort that!! Will continue, everyone enjoy it, whatever path you take. :clap:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
No intension of using it overseas just now .would be heading for the costas or Scandinavia but will wait and see how things pan out.
Still use it my staycation is home cp with full services (y) or marina cp wilding :LOL:
Will keep at it for as long as I can see ,and I'm able

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Nice to see you posting again Graham - hope to catch up with you at Lincoln. Glad you haven't given up yet!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

And Shifty will be able to continue denigrating Burstners. :p

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
For me it will be when i can no longer park in places i want to park ....if it gets to a point where sites etc are the only options and you cant access places without hassle it will be time to pack it in.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I sold my 5th wheel and pickup earlier in the year because of the hassle of going south to the sun.

Am going to sell my Hymer as well because its no fun not being able to travel as freely as we have in the 6 years we have been full time .

I just don't feel as welcome as i was a few years ago , the van life wannabees with no idea are ruining my ex way of life .

I have found a little place ,bricks, out in the countryside , if or when the van life bubble bursts or its easy to go to the continent i might buy a PVC.
Don't mean to offend anyone just what i think at the mo .

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
My good lady and i were only talking about this last night in the pub.

We enjoyed our 3 year old Autotrail. 6 site visits in one year.

Decided to buy new. This is when the issues started. The searching, the 2 failed attempts at buying new has knocked us. We are seriously thinking if we want to bother. OR god forbid try a caravan:eek:

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
As a family retired from camping / motorhoming several years ago.

Now bought a lodge (must be a name for such Muppets but it's freehold and Scandinavian)

But still use the van for visiting parents and short trips to coast / dales.

Cheers James
(y)(y)(y)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
My good lady and i were only talking about this last night in the pub.

We enjoyed our 3 year old Autotrail. 6 site visits in one year.

Decided to buy new. This is when the issues started. The searching, the 2 failed attempts at buying new has knocked us. We are seriously thinking if we want to bother. OR god forbid try a caravan:eek:
Have you abandoned the Bailey project or is it an ongoing saga?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
"No"........... The question was "When would YOU call it a day"....

Not me personally....... as said I don`t want to give up in my mind...

Just curious as to why others would give up... :Smile:

The answer is simple, when it's no longer fun or I'm incapable.

(It's often surprising when one thinks their incapable, of walking for example, and the dog needs to go out, strange how we always manage it and as Shrimp mentioned earlier, like the elderly couple, I too try and do most things myself. It keeps the muscles exercised and gives me a daily challenge, just takes a little longer than it used too but who cares? Gives me an excuse to chat to strangers or admire the view.
Leave the long distance stuff for the youngsters (under 65yrs) and appreciate what the UK has to offer, there a lot to see! :Grin:

Talking of challenges, but I KNOW old-mo has a lot of followers and won't object to me high-jacking (slightly) his thread BUT, I have just heard on the News that this years flu jabs will be delayed by HGV driver shortage.
It got me thinking, I can drive up to 3.5tons (my HGV 1 I let go when I retired) and I have a trailer, can WE not help in some way, perhaps Jim could advise, because I'm sure I could transport, at no cost to the NHS, ALL the vaccines needed in my town?

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It was a bit strange at Norfolk trying to remember the names and circumstances of people I hadn't seen for 5 years or more 🙂
We exchanged a few posts. I remember your local authority list well.

Catherine

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back