Are CAMC finally getting the message (2 Viewers)

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Just saw 'Roaming Radfords' youtube at the CCC awards evening. Nice little dinner do. Paid for 'us' members?
I agree do we need all this fluff. Radfords are great at getting freebies. Oh you are right we pay.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
My Facebook memories remind me that for many years, I have been at Bristol’s Baltic Wharf site at this time of year, having had to book many months in advance.

Out of interest, I had a look at availability. Apart from 30th and 31st December, there are no nights that are fully booked in the next 6 months.

Not really surprising seeing that for 2 adults it’s an eye-watering £53.40 until it drops to a £38.60 a night until mid-March when it goes back up to between £45 and £52 a night. Bonkers prices!
I was recently at Baltic Wharf for four nights. For three days there was not an empty pitch.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
See CAMC are finally getting the message?? Membership fees to rise to £63 from 15th Dec 23. From £55 I make that about a 14% rise. They call it a small unavoidable increase, but recognising cost of living pressures state that they have delivered a range of discounts and promotions to members?? Mmhhh!

Another way of looking at it -

Is the CAMC trying to move upmarket, managing out low income trash members like me with an affordable Ducato PVC? Is the Club management turning into climate change zealots? Anyone else see a pattern, or is it just me?

The October Club magazine featured their Towcar of the Year results.

Class 1 winner VW ID Buzz Style SWB 204PS 77kWh £64,885
Class 2 winner Skoda Enyaq Coupe IV 82kWh VRS £55,865
Class 3 winner Skoda Octavia Estate SEL 2.0 tdi 150 PS DSG £35,535 (ooh look, a cheap-ish diesel)
Class 4 winner Polestar 2 Long Range Single Motor £46,050
EV Winner Nissan Ariya 87kWh Evolve-E4 ORCE £61,540
Class 5 winner Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid Platinum Edition £78,710
Luxury Winner Bentley Benteyga Extended Wheelbase £220,120

I find it odd that almost all of the Class winners are rather expensive EVs, despite the CAMC lack of proper chargers at their sites. As for that Bentley Benteyga, you need to be a Premiership football player ... xroll:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have lost all patience with them, they auto renewed after being asked not to, so they refunded and cancelled this was this year, although Ihad asked them not to renew again next year, October 2024.Cancelled rowntree on 1st december got phone call on day we were meant to arrive, asking where we were! Explained we had cancelled and had proof, had taken a dated screenshot fortunately. After several emails and eventually a phone call they sent me a voucher for a club i am no longer a member of. Have been told it can take up to 30 days for it to be looked at. Am so angry as had they not cancelled the membership i would have been meeting up with a fellow funster in February.
Felt wording of their email was a mixture of aggressive and patronising.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

Class 3 winner Skoda Octavia Estate SEL 2.0 tdi 150 PS DSG £35,535 (ooh look, a cheap-ish diesel)

I find it odd that almost all of the Class winners are rather expensive EVs, despite the CAMC lack of proper chargers at their sites. As for that Bentley Benteyga, you need to be a Premiership football player ... xroll:

What a load of irrelevant nonsense.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I think Bristol’s Clean Air Zone had played its part in keeping folks away. Get that wrong and you get a very expensive stopover! I think between the two of them CAMC and Bristol Council will kill off the prospect of a campsite in Bristol City.
I really really do not understand this.
Bristol, London and any other Clean Air Zone City's. With campsites in there zone.
Do they not want tourism? And all the financial benefits it brings.
Surely, they can introduce an exception for motorhomes or cars towing vans into their pollution zone.
No they just want to grab as much as they can

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Bristol, London and any other Clean Air Zone City's. With campsites in there zone.
Surely, they can introduce an exception for motorhomes or cars towing vans into their pollution zone.
It would be quite interesting to know what proportion of motorhomes are compliant to most clean air zones.

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007

Is the CAMC trying to move upmarket, managing out low income trash members like me with an affordable Ducato PVC? Is the Club management turning into climate change zealots? Anyone else see a pattern, or is it just me?

They most certainly are way out of touch because apart from the Octavia I’ve never seen or am likely to see any of the others on a campsite.Then again they gave an award to a van with something like 140kg payload.How can they be so interested in what you’re driving & then go all Topgear when dishing out awards!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
At the point of introduction, Bristol reckon 71% of all vehicles were compliant.
Mine isn’t and it would cost me £9 each time I drove it to the site so a minimum of £18 to add to the cost of staying there.

catspyjamas lives in Bristol and has a non-compliant motorhome which would cost £100 a day to bring home from storage to load it for a trip away.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Mine isn’t and it would cost me £9 each time I drove it to the site so a minimum of £18 to add to the cost of staying there.

catspyjamas lives in Bristol and has a non-compliant motorhome which would cost £100 a day to bring home from storage to load it for a trip away.

Ouch!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It would be quite interesting to know what proportion of motorhomes are compliant to most clean air zones.
Funnily enough I can take my 2014 4.1t euro 5 diesel motorhome into the Glasgow LEZ but Mrs poppycamper cannot take her 2014 euro 5 diesel Fiat Panda 4X4 in without charge...
How the feck does that work...
Emmissions my arse.
as ABBA said....
MONEY, MONEY MONEY.!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@catspyjamas lives in Bristol and has a non-compliant motorhome which would cost £100 a day to bring home from storage to load it for a trip away.
Not Bristol I know, but if entering the LEZ with our N+B Flair MH, we stand to benefit from a £200 fine on the way in on a Monday for example, and again with a £200 fine on the way out on the Tuesday. Gordon (effin) Bennett, what on earth is that all about? :mad: I want to pitch up on a site, do the touristy bit and spend some dosh, then leave by the quickest route out to the M25 again, to head home.

Whilst on a C&CC THS on the edge of Bath, I fortunately managed to avoid the Bath toll, by taking a route which avoided us heading east and miles out of our way, to a junction of the M4, through narrow country roads and tiny pretty villages. It was by taking a route down and close to the city, but through a tiny village, and over a 4.5t bridge with a £1.00 toll charge...........when plated at 6.85t.

Where there is a will, there is a way. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Whilst on a C&CC THS on the edge of Bath, I fortunately managed to avoid the Bath toll, by taking a route which avoided us heading east and miles out of our way, to a junction of the M4, through narrow country roads and tiny pretty villages. It was by taking a route down and close to the city, but through a tiny village, and over a 4.5t bridge with a £1.00 toll charge...........when plated at 6.85t.

Where there is a will, there is a way. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
And that is deemed to be more environmentally friendly!

I took a wrong turn going to the Bath Marina site earlier this year and had to stump up the £9 charge. Last month, I drove miles out towards Bristol to avoid the toll.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Just saw 'Roaming Radfords' youtube at the CCC awards evening. Nice little dinner do. Paid for 'us' members?
I wonder if they are even members of the club. I can’t watch the videos, they seem to know everything🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They most certainly are way out of touch because apart from the Octavia I’ve never seen or am likely to see any of the others on a campsite.Then again they gave an award to a van with something like 140kg payload.How can they be so interested in what you’re driving & then go all Topgear when dishing out awards!
The ones who buy the biggest advertising wins apart from the Bentley I expect they just fancied a spin in that.

When I had my business a music magazine did a review of one of my audio mixers, wouldn't publish the review unless I bought advertising.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp

Same with the big motoring mag, EV or EV.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
And that is deemed to be more environmentally friendly!

I took a wrong turn going to the Bath Marina site earlier this year and had to stump up the £9 charge. Last month, I drove miles out towards Bristol to avoid the toll.
The roads we followed in to the Marina site, from the M4 westbound Janine, were quite horrendous at stages, and certainly not conducive to being environmentally friendly.
Allowing us to come down the main drag through the city, would have caused a lot less pollution.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Clean air zones have nothing to do with climate, but all to do with revenue generation. And still the councils manage to bankrupt themselves.

Merry Christmas :xsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back