Are CAMC finally getting the message (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
the latest obsession about posts is you now have 2 posts and you slot your van between them now - still annoying but hey ho.

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
as a comparison ( although i have no intention of ever going back to caravan and camping club ) how do they match up price wise ?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
everything that has been said is all true, but why has caravan and camping club escaped everyone's wrath ? I gave that bunch the heave ho years ago as i was sick of the " follow me and park there " attitude - freindly my arse , it felt like a school for naughty boys.

That’s not so different from many sites here and abroad where you’re allocated a pitch on arrival. I know that’s not universally the case but it’s not unusual either. On the few occasions I’ve asked for a specific pitch on a C&CC site, it’s never been a problem provided it doesn’t complicate other bookings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
the latest obsession about posts is you now have 2 posts and you slot your van between them now - still annoying but hey ho.

I understand why they do it, It's much less confusing and ensures a decent gap between vans. There are far too many numptys out there.

On our CL we have 5 narrow hardstandings with 8m of grass between each. A couple of months ago someone parked on the grass in the middle effectively making sure that if anyone used a hard standing either side of him they'd be too close to him. What a plonker, and how he moaned when I asked him to move :doh:. In front of him was an acre of grass he could have parked on. :rolleyes:

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
That’s not so different from many sites here and abroad where you’re allocated a pitch on arrival. I know that’s not universally the case but it’s not unusual either. On the few occasions I’ve asked for a specific pitch on a C&CC site, it’s never been a problem provided it doesn’t complicate other bookings.

I have no issues with C&CC sites, they offer EHU reasonably cheap (£10 a night extra usuall) and our average price per night for 2 of us this year at their sites has been around £22 where our average at CAMC is nearer £40.

£22 a night is CL terrotoriy but this is for full sites, walkable to facilitys and towns, unlike a few CL's. I can only put this down to electricity as C&CC with electric pitches are a lot per night extra!

This may just have been "this" year due to their excellent GRASSUK30 code which allowed at many sites a grass non-EHU pitch to have 30% off.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I understand why they do it, It's much less confusing and ensures a decent gap between vans. There are far too many numptys out there.

On our CL we have 5 narrow hardstandings with 8m of grass between each. A couple of months ago someone parked on the grass in the middle effectively making sure that if anyone used a hard standing either side of him they'd be too close to him. What a plonker, and how he moaned when I asked him to move :doh:. In front of him was an acre of grass he could have parked on. :rolleyes:
No issue with the post markers per se. As you say they work well when people follow the norm and it must be frustrating as a site owner when people go off piste. I found it amusing and none sensical that most of my pitch was unused yet I was stepping out of my van onto about 18” of hardstanding and the wet grass. Made even more so as the pitch to my left was occupied yet the two pitches to my right were vacant?

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
How do people who dont like being told how to pitch up deal with being at a site which tells them which pitch you are going to be on before you even enter the site 🤔

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have no issues with C&CC sites, they offer EHU reasonably cheap (£10 a night extra usuall) and our average price per night for 2 of us this year at their sites has been around £22 where our average at CAMC is nearer £40.

£22 a night is CL terrotoriy but this is for full sites, walkable to facilitys and towns, unlike a few CL's. I can only put this down to electricity as C&CC with electric pitches are a lot per night extra!

This may just have been "this" year due to their excellent GRASSUK30 code which allowed at many sites a grass non-EHU pitch to have 30% off.

£10 per night for electricity!

That would be outrageous for us, as we have no electric heating for water nor heating living area, only charging batteries and running fridge and LED lights.

Have they no way of assessing usage?

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+

That would be outrageous for us, as we have no electric heating for water nor heating living area, only charging batteries and running fridge and LED lights.

Not currently ::bigsmile:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Relax, in my experience, it is normally about £5.
Still not cheap but at least with CCC one has a choice. 🙂

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I just got an email from CAMC with the offer of a free night before end of March next year

I am happy with both the main clubs, use the CL and CS network as well as the club sites. I also use permissive stops so a bit of everything.

With a club site you know the standard you expect, you know the rules and you know the cost. If you are happy with this what's the issue? If not then don't use these sites.

:)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Relax, in my experience, it is normally about £5.
Still not cheap but at least with CCC one has a choice. 🙂

Still too much when I arrive with fridge already cold after driving, so only needs to be topped-up occasionally, especially in UK night temperatures. LEDs do not take much.

We have just been through Italy and Austria and some sites were €10 with all services - electricity, showers, water included.

Do the Clubs' management ever get out to these places?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For off gridders ..

NON EHU CLs

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
No issue with the post markers per se. As you say they work well when people follow the norm and it must be frustrating as a site owner when people go off piste. I found it amusing and none sensical that most of my pitch was unused yet I was stepping out of my van onto about 18” of hardstanding and the wet grass. Made even more so as the pitch to my left was occupied yet the two pitches to my right were vacant?
You wait until the warden has disappeared, move the peg over a vehicle's width, then re position on the peg. Job done. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Just looked at Broadway CMC for three nights later this month. Quite close to us but far enough away for a trip into Broadway and it’s lovely pubs and restaurants.
£104. No thanks.
Responded to their latest survey. I was not complimentary about their prices and their website experience. I don’t suppose they give a flying fig.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We do like EHU for the CPAP machine. We can manage 3 nights with no "top up" to the batteries (driving, solar or shhhhhh genny, although genny top up is never quiet lol) but it's always a bit of a worry so paying for EHU when necessary is fine by us.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
S
Been a member for 20 years but no longer crazy prices these days I forgot to renew my subs and had a email saying that I had a few days to make my payment or that would be it no reminders would be sent and my membership would be cancelled.

So with that sort of attitude I opted to.keep my money and spend it on the other side of the channel
Same here two years ago...BUSBY.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
How do people who dont like being told how to pitch up deal with being at a site which tells them which pitch you are going to be on before you even enter the site 🤔
Simple, they go elsewhere, or, they do as requested and get on with it. Looking at Jim's post 364 you do get NumPy who still turn up wanting to do it their way

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
Just about to go to the Cotswolds and thought we would stay at the site in Morton on the Marsh. They want £40 a night in October! Tried another of their sites in Derbyshire in Chatsworth and it's £48 a night! Somehow I don't think the message has got through.
Agreed, I've received another email saying they have listened to us about expensive prices but they have had to put the prices up again in 2024😂🤣🤬

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Wife just had me book the CAMC clubfest as she wants to see one of the acts. £330 for 2 people for 4 ni without EHU. First time going, but I guess it's not overall that bad given it's actually not much more than one of their campsites with no acts.

We won't be renewing CAMC membership, but it does make sense to use it "whilst" we have it I guess.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Had a "Late Availability" email today from CAMC lol..... this followed last weeks "Book Your Free Night" and "Book Club Fest".... and I have no interest in the Free Night or the Club Fest.....Although we have no intention of heading off until February (I have some upgrade bits in the offing for the van, plus work is getting in the way) I decided to be nosey to see what I could actually book...Turns out there is space (not "low availability) at the usually hard to stay at like Chatsworth, Castleton, Moreton, Broadway, Sandringham and more..... for the lead up to and for Christmas.... where last year we couldn't get in any of those. Oh Well..... never mind...lol

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
You wait until the warden has disappeared, move the peg over a vehicle's width, then re position on the peg. Job done. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
I guess they got wise to your little trick. They have now painted the pitch to show where the markers sit. Marker sits on the white lines if you move them, it's obvious :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

Jun 7, 2022
Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Had a "Late Availability" email today from CAMC lol..... this followed last weeks "Book Your Free Night" and "Book Club Fest".... and I have no interest in the Free Night or the Club Fest.....Although we have no intention of heading off until February (I have some upgrade bits in the offing for the van, plus work is getting in the way) I decided to be nosey to see what I could actually book...Turns out there is space (not "low availability) at the usually hard to stay at like Chatsworth, Castleton, Moreton, Broadway, Sandringham and more..... for the lead up to and for Christmas.... where last year we couldn't get in any of those. Oh Well..... never mind...lol
We thought we might use the free night voucher as we still occasionally use CAMC but on closer inspection you have to book before the end of December. We never book more than a week or two ahead of a trip as we just wing it, mostly dependent on weather, so it's of no use at all! That's why we love having a van, spontaneity.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We thought we might use the free night voucher as we still occasionally use CAMC but on closer inspection you have to book before the end of December. We never book more than a week or two ahead of a trip as we just wing it, mostly dependent on weather, so it's of no use at all! That's why we love having a van, spontaneity.
Exactly -> it's a very Caravan focussed offer as I see it.

That said, we're not perfect motorhomers as we have booked our Xmas break in October -> with CACC not CAMC as the prices for CAMC were shocking.
We would have driven around but ahem wanted to guarantee somewhere for both Xmas and New years weeks. (Sandringham CACC for latter if anyone there).

For Jan->March when the offer valid it's VERY weather dependant if we even go out -> so we are not preplanning a jot. So the voucher will go unused sadly.

I just wish they saw their offers with our eyes -> we stayed away (as new motorhomers) 2 bank holidays since owning ours. CAMC wanted £3-400 for those weekends. CACC wanted £71 for a Fri->Mon stay. nothing changes our mind more than raw cost, and given we booked in locations for both where there were CACC and CAMC in close proximity, I couldn't see value in paying effectively as much as a hotel would cost (£100 a ni is my benchmark for a good Hilton) for a pitch (admittedly with EHU where CACC had none).

That all said, clubfest is good value, and we like some of the CL's. Membership renewal for us entirely depends on how clubfest goes for the wife, who will be in charge of that renewal.

Sep 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Let me think stay on a site for £40 plus per night run by an organisation with 350 hq paid staff and 6 plus site wardens to fuss around and nothing other than a toilet block or. …. Cross the channel, get a pool, a restaurant and a pitch to use as you wish, run by very helpful people, no booking, no membership fees and about £20 a night mmmmm… a hard one.

Jun 7, 2022
Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Let me think stay on a site for £40 plus per night run by an organisation with 350 hq paid staff and 6 plus site wardens to fuss around and nothing other than a toilet block or. …. Cross the channel, get a pool, a restaurant and a pitch to use as you wish, run by very helpful people, no booking, no membership fees and about £20 a night mmmmm… a hard one.
Couldn't agree more! Last year spent a total of 7 weeks in France, used mostly ACSI sites, usually with a pool, fresh bread, clean facilities etc average under £20 a night.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Not happy with CAMC prices especially over the summer and school holiday periods so we avoid them during those times. We are members and at sites like Bridlington, open all year, midweek is less than £30 per night for 2 adults this time of year. We do head to Europe for a few weeks a year and enjoy the Aires and cheaper sites. But build in a ferry or Chunnel cost and it’s an expensive trip to France or Spain for a short 2-3 night break 😎

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back