Are CAMC finally getting the message (2 Viewers)

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I always put a limit of £40 per night. If everyone adopted that as a maximum for one night it may stop the £50 plus charges they push out. If you pay £50 and accept that as a fair price very soon it will be £55 or £60.
Clearly they are "struggling" with numbers..... I keep getting the "book now" "this and that % cheaper" and today "we are open all year" emails..... I've booked CL's for this year again (prefer them as quiet and the price is also a bonus) ... and next week in Belgium I have 3 Free Aires provided by local towns, a Campsite for €22 a night all in and a serviced aire on the last night to empty tanks etc for €14 ...... and they wonder why people grumble about pricing levels. The last aire is like being in Rowntree Park but not as pricey....lol

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Clearly they are "struggling" with numbers..... I keep getting the "book now" "this and that % cheaper" and today "we are open all year" emails..... I've booked CL's for this year again (prefer them as quiet and the price is also a bonus) ... and next week in Belgium I have 3 Free Aires provided by local towns, a Campsite for €22 a night all in and a serviced aire on the last night to empty tanks etc for €14 ...... and they wonder why people grumble about pricing levels. The last aire is like being in Rowntree Park but not as pricey....lol
But as always your full holiday cost includes a cross channel ferry. So not a true like for like cost. PS. We spend most of our time across the channel as well.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Surely 'Clubs' of any sort should charge the members what it costs to run facilities. I understand that they may want to hold 'Reserves' for future investment.

Is this is what CAMC are doing? If so do their accounts prove that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
They’re taking that stance because they’re deluded. Communicating is something they’re particularly bad at. At the moment they’re just trading on the goodwill of some loyal members who for reasons best known to them stick with their mediocre sites and ridiculous prices.
Prices I guess are for individuals to decide if right or wrong, mediocre sites I am more surprised at, your standards must be very high, nothing wrong with that, could you share where you normally stay so that we can compare mediocrity with what we are missing, I would like a better standard of site so looking forward to visiting your recommendations

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
can i just ask, everybody seems to be having a go at camc but the other lot, camping and caravanning club seems to get out unscathed ? am i missing something ?

Nope; they purport to be MH friendly but just adding the term Motorhome into the club name doesn’t cut it. Unlike the C&CC, the CAMC do not permit members to pay for a service visit. A clear indication that they don’t understand the needs of motorhomers.

Ian

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
But as always your full holiday cost includes a cross channel ferry. So not a true like for like cost. PS. We spend most of our time across the channel as well.

We spend 2 months in EU each year. That's 60 nights. If it was £40 a night that would be £2400. The £180 return ferry crossing is neither her nor there in the grand scheme of things - easily covered by savings made through cheaper campsites/aires.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
can i just ask, everybody seems to be having a go at camc but the other lot, camping and caravanning club seems to get out unscathed ? am i missing something ?

Several reasons for this;

Bank holiday weekends we can still stay at the other club for in the region of 30-40 a ni (where CAMC offer us 70). And we can find availability for it on the week before in many cases.
Service visits
Rallys which you don't need to prebook with slips at start of year, you just ring, and turn up. Rallys are cheaper in general by usually at least £5-10 a night
Pop-up campsites and THS are near half the price with MANY more THS on the other clubs system
Bookings are easily done with short notice (and able to more easily be cancelled) if forecast is bad.
No off-grid pitches

It's not all price focussed, but they also seem to look after us motorhomers better than the club with motorhome in their name. For us, we've stayed 2 to 3x the nights at their sites and CS's than CAMC, and a large part of this is CAMC pricing themselves out of the market. But in general the other club meets our needs as motorhomers better. If we do renew it will be for the CL's NOT the club sites.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
They’re taking that stance because they’re deluded. Communicating is something they’re particularly bad at. At the moment they’re just trading on the goodwill of some loyal members who for reasons best known to them stick with their mediocre sites and ridiculous prices.
Mediocre?

Maybe York Rowntree, but the others we have tried are usually either very good or excellent.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I sometimes think us Motorhome owners have got the wrong end of the stick. I always used the sites when tugging as you know what you get and the standards are very good. I would usually stay for a week, would never do that in the Motorhome which is why I chucked the membership in, it just didn’t make sense anymore.

I think the prices are ridiculous, but that said, I wonder if it’s us who are wrong and that’s why they don’t seem to get it?

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
The CAMC do not appear to have any Pop Ups this year. They have emailed me that they are not doing the Beaulieu one but to keep logging on to search. A bit late me thinks. Have cancelled direct debit.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We spend 2 months in EU each year. That's 60 nights. If it was £40 a night that would be £2400. The £180 return ferry crossing is neither her nor there in the grand scheme of things - easily covered by savings made through cheaper campsites/aires.
I agree, you've done the maths. I guess there must be a break even point after which going across The Channel works out cheaper financially. You cannot of course put a value on the difference in cultural experiences. I'm just working out if it's cheaper to go to Brittany than to Cornwall given that we mostly use the CCP sites at 12 euros as against £40+ in Cornwall. 😃

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I agree, you've done the maths. I guess there must be a break even point after which going across The Channel works out cheaper financially. You cannot of course put a value on the difference in cultural experiences. I'm just working out if it's cheaper to go to Brittany than to Cornwall given that we mostly use the CCP sites at 12 euros as against £40+ in Cornwall. 😃

Hmmm... While I agree you cannot put a price on cultural experiences I'd love to go to Cornwall but it's too far, the roads are too small and I can't afford the campsites!

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Currently staying on a private adult only site on the edge of the Somerset levels, EHU metered so will be interesting to see the total charge (38p per unit) hot showers are by coins so maybe £1 for a good splash. Facilities are tired and basic but super hot water at the sinks. Pitch is level and best of all a bus stop at the site entrance with limited service but will allow us a trip out today. Pitch costs £20 per night.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Surely that doesn’t work, you are paying a high premium to belong to an expensive club to gat a small discount off insurance. Wouldn’t it be cheaper to bin the club and just pay the insurance.
There's some quite big discounts. 20% I think at cotswold outdoor. Soon pays for itself even if you don't go on a site.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
There's some quite big discounts. 20% I think at cotswold outdoor. Soon pays for itself even if you don't go on a site.

The discounts from various shops etc. only help if you want something and /or have the money in the first place, us paupers that are on a strict budget don’t go around looking for stuff to buy even if it is discounted!

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I sometimes think us Motorhome owners have got the wrong end of the stick. I always used the sites when tugging as you know what you get and the standards are very good. I would usually stay for a week, would never do that in the Motorhome which is why I chucked the membership in, it just didn’t make sense anymore.

I think the prices are ridiculous, but that said, I wonder if it’s us who are wrong and that’s why they don’t seem to get it?
You have hit a large part of the nail on the head! Tiggers have no choice they must use sites. So the tuggers will go even I thought they are a diminishing clientele. We became life members at a fee that has saved us a small fortune so at least we can do CL’s still.
Given Jim never had a constructive reply to his letter to the CAMC it is arguable these threads are only a way to let off steam! Perhaps Fun needs to sell punchbags with CAMC on them!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Surely 'Clubs' of any sort should charge the members what it costs to run facilities. I understand that they may want to hold 'Reserves' for future investment.

Is this is what CAMC are doing? If so do their accounts prove that?

If you are a Member you get to see the abbreviated Accounts in the Club magazine. My impression is that the Club executives are being very coy in their Report regarding actual bookings and site occupancy. The reality probably is that it is not going as well as it could financially thanks to a combination of their dire new booking system, and excessive increases in pitch fees, set when the Club executives panicked regarding higher energy costs. The next set of Accounts might indicate how the Club's finances have suffered thanks to these factors (and the effect of the disastrous recent IT hack).

The CAMC have always been hoarding reserves, spending extremely sparingly on adding to their site network in line with growing membership. Acquisitions in recent years have tended to be Affiliated commercial sites who were already part of the Club's network, instead of developing brand new sites. Meanwhile, the Club is soon going to lose a very popular leased site that was always full - Baltic Wharf in Bristol. The proposed replacement site is going to be miles outside the City itself, at a less convenient location between very busy roads, so not a like-for-like offer for the Members.

My impression is that the adverse effect of the excessively high pitch fees at last is being recognised so there are various discounts on offer instead of basically reducing overall pitch fees to a more reasonable level.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Meanwhile, the Club is soon going to lose a very popular leased site that was always full - Baltic Wharf in Bristol. The proposed replacement site is going to be miles outside the City itself, at a less convenient location between very busy roads, so not a like-for-like offer for the Members.
But thats the local council not C&MC choice, they would like to renew but back handers mean council want to build there.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
But thats the local council not C&MC choice, they would like to renew but back handers mean council want to build there.
If you have any evidence of backhanders or illegal financial transactions by councillors or council officers please report it to the Local Government Association as it contravenes the Code of Conduct that all councillors have to abide by. All councils are required to promote and maintain high standards of conduct by councillors under section 27 of the Localism Act 2011, but individual councillors also have this responsibility.

Each council has a Section 151 officer who provides advice on the scope of powers and authority to take decisions, maladministration, financial impropriety, probity and budget and policy framework issues to all Councillors and will support and advise Councillors and officers in their respective roles.
At Bristol, Stephen Peacock the Chief Executive has that role. Please email him with you concerns. stephen.peacock@bristol.gov.uk

Sorry but I dislike this knee jerk reaction by some Forum members who assume that backhanders are rife, this isn't Albania or an African republic. Councillors here by and large are honest hard working people. They get minimal expenses and have an inbox/phone calls that take serious time to deal with.

No evidence for your claim? then please desist.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
We owned and ran a CL for 15yrs, Those that book the cheapest site they can get should not expect the Ritz.For most of our time we charged £10 a night with 6amp hook up one basic shower £1 by token and a basic toilet,2acres for 5 pitches.Beach and town easy reach 1/2 mile 2 miles respectively taxi to town 3yrs ago under £5. Bus £1.50each way.
We had to buy and get all infrastructure installed(hook up's alone several thousand today drains for waste and toilets,water etc .
We had reasonable occupancy rates, but after all costs electric,water,sewage,public liability insurance, rubbish disposal,annual hook up testing,mowing etc was it financially worth it definitely not.Could we have charged more..no because that was the going rate.
Yes we did make maybe £50 a week over the year, did we do it because we needed the money,or for the snide stroppy comments we got from a minority of(usually better off) customers No we did it because we had some really nice regulars.Would I set up a CL today as a money making venture at£25 a night I very much doubt it.
Our site is no longer a club the new owner thought not worth the trouble.( Also every viewer we had did not intend to keep a CL)
The biggest barrier to it being the club blanket rule of max 5 pitches ? Not a club rule a government rule).All this time the nearby club site charged 2 or 3 times more and pro rare packed em in.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
The way "immigration" is going it'll only be a matter of time!:RollEyes:
Ha Ha! but not from Albania as they seem less inclined to take the rubber boat taxi .
This is from The Times recently:

The number of Albanians coming to Britain illegally on small boats has plummeted from more than half of all arrivals last summer to less than 10 per cent of migrants, according to Whitehall sources.15 Jan 2023

African migrants are another story altogether.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Exactly but the £208 for the crossing this Tuesday....still works out reasonable value for us especially as some sites are now mid £40's PN .... a caveat is of course now is.... I just checked the CCC sites and now Mrs Sg has rolled over the 60 yr old mark.... two of us now take the age concession price to a decent level of £25 a night for 2 of us at 2 of their bigger club sites.... so we may get some UK time on their sites as well as our usual CL usage

Sep 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Interesting to hear from someone who owned and ran a CL. The problem identified is the limit on numbers. This will not change whilst two large companies that masquerade as clubs are seen as the voice of Motorhomers and Caravanners. They are perfectly entitled to charge whatever they like but they cannot at the same time purport to represent our pastime. There is a serious conflict of interest which has stifled competition and inflated prices due to inefficient working practices - just check how many people work at CAMC HQ.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
The discounts from various shops etc. only help if you want something and /or have the money in the first place, us paupers that are on a strict budget don’t go around looking for stuff to buy even if it is discounted!
Nor do I. Some big assumptions.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
ow Mrs Sg has rolled over the 60 yr old mark.... two of us now take the age concession price to a decent level of £25 a night for 2 of us at 2 of their bigger club sites.... so we may get some UK time on their sites as well as our usual CL usage
£25 a night!
Is that just so you can sit an a bit of ground, use their toilets & showers?
Remember-you have your own toilet & shower!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
two of us now take the age concession price to a decent level of £25 a night for 2 of us at 2 of their bigger club sites....
Mrs Poppycamper and myself also both get "Old Git" rate but very rarely use club sites because of price... don't recall getting pitch for £25 at any site..
Incidently your statement of 2 of the bigger sites does not fill me with confidence..... Only 2 sites out of the many many more sites they/we own!!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Interesting to hear from someone who owned and ran a CL. The problem identified is the limit on numbers. This will not change whilst two large companies that masquerade as clubs are seen as the voice of Motorhomers and Caravanners. They are perfectly entitled to charge whatever they like but they cannot at the same time purport to represent our pastime. There is a serious conflict of interest which has stifled competition and inflated prices due to inefficient working practices - just check how many people work at CAMC HQ.

I think the CAMC behaves as though it has a monopoly. Delusional. Snobbish too. I was staggered when I saw in their recent Magazine that one of their annual towcar awards went to a Bentley Benteyga. How many Members own one of those? Yet to see one on a CAMC site.

The CAMC does need its call centre staff. Every time I want to book, their woeful online system freezes at the final payment stage when I try to pay the deposit using their link to Worldpay. I might as well not bother with my computer, and simply ring CAMC to book and pay over the phone because it will save a lot of time. Too much hassle. I will also use more independent sites. CAMC's loss.

Once again, I will spend more pitch nights abroad in 2024 than in the UK because (a) I just turn up instead of needing to make a reservation and pay a deposit (plus there are still free Aires) and (b) pitch fees are much much cheaper so that offsets the channel crossing cost.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Mrs Poppycamper and myself also both get "Old Git" rate but very rarely use club sites because of price... don't recall getting pitch for £25 at any site..
Incidently your statement of 2 of the bigger sites does not fill me with confidence..... Only 2 sites out of the many many more sites they/we own!!
Last year we certainly paid less than £25 a night on ccc club sites with elderly persons discount.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back