Are CAMC finally getting the message (6 Viewers)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Cross the channel, get a pool, a restaurant and a pitch to use as you wish, run by very helpful people, no booking, no membership fees and about £20 a night mmmmm… a hard one.
Conveniently forgets the cost of the ferry/tunnel, the diesel and the extra driving time :unsure: .

Currently musing about a few days away next week... Hertford C&CC
90 mins drive, 10 litres diesel, £14.45/night hardstanding with EHU.
Admittedly, no pool but plenty of pub/restaurants within 20 min stroll

Jun 7, 2022
Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Conveniently forgets the cost of the ferry/tunnel, the diesel and the extra driving time :unsure: .

At approximately half the price per night, it doesn't take long to recoup the cost of the crossing. We've also found that C&CC is often at least £10 a night cheaper than CAMC for the same facilities in a similar location.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
At approximately half the price per night, it doesn't take long to recoup the cost of the crossing. We've also found that C&CC is often at least £10 a night cheaper than CAMC for the same facilities in a similar location.
Totally get where you are coming from but one size don’t fit all. Return ferry xing £250-300 so 12 to 15 nights to recoup. France not really the option this time of year especially if you want a pool, unless you fancy a ski resort. So it needs to be further south. The majority of sites across Spain closed for the winter. Certainly doesn’t fit anyone wanting a short break.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Totally get where you are coming from but one size don’t fit all. Return ferry xing £250-300 so 12 to 15 nights to recoup. France not really the option this time of year especially if you want a pool, unless you fancy a ski resort. So it needs to be further south. The majority of sites across Spain closed for the winter. Certainly doesn’t fit anyone wanting a short break.
Plus various insurances necessary abroad. And we can’t all go for weeks on end.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I received the club magazine today which has two page piece on "Price drop on over 1.5 million pitches" and a few examples. Note that's only the pitch price, not the overall price, there doesn't seem to be a reduction on the person fee and the price drops are for selected dates. Interested I logged on to the website to be greeted by a full front page telling me about these savings. Last year we stayed at Stamford Club site July 23rd and were charged £24.80 per night. So ever the optimist I tried to book Stamford for a night 2nd April 2024 thinking it would be nice to see that the new price would be , Guess what , £24.80 a night exactly the same. `reminds me of the packer of digestives I bought yesterday, a smaller packet with slightly smaller biscuits but gone up in price.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

Always the same with these threads, and always from the same few people.
Not sure what they're trying to prove. A lack of mathematical understanding maybe ?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I guess they got wise to your little trick. They have now painted the pitch to show where the markers sit. Marker sits on the white lines if you move them, it's obvious :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:
I wouldn't know Stewart, as we gave up on the Caravan And Motorhome Club (rip off profit making) Business a good while ago.
In fact, when last at Cambridge there were 2 x white pegs on each pitch, whereupon you pitched in between them. That seemed to make more sense, than struggling to get in and out the MH, with your continental hab door right next to a blooming hedge. :doh:

Last year we stayed at Stamford Club site July 23rd and were charged £24.80 per night.
Ah yes Ian, that'll be the site.......................nowhere near Stamford. :doh:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Sep 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Don’t quite understand, but my basic problem is the two largest site owning businesses purport to represent members and are the de facto national consultation bodies. Which in essence is a massive conflict of interest. I fully appreciate it costs more to cross the channel, but I believe that we deserve better. Take for example the CL provision which again is controlled by these two organisations and has seen no advancement in the legal framework in my 40 years of caravan/motorhoming/camping. Most cls now charge about the same as a European site, if the pitch numbers could be increased a little then it may still be worth their while without putting up their prices.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Had a "Late Availability" email today from CAMC lol..... this followed last weeks "Book Your Free Night" and "Book Club Fest".... and I have no interest in the Free Night or the Club Fest.....Although we have no intention of heading off until February (I have some upgrade bits in the offing for the van, plus work is getting in the way) I decided to be nosey to see what I could actually book...Turns out there is space (not "low availability) at the usually hard to stay at like Chatsworth, Castleton, Moreton, Broadway, Sandringham and more..... for the lead up to and for Christmas.... where last year we couldn't get in any of those. Oh Well..... never mind...lol

I won't waste fuel and site fees to put up with grey skies and cold miserable weather...Spain either direct ferry or through France depending of time of year.
BUSBY.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
At Southport CMC a few weeks ago, very busy over the weekend.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
and always from the same few people.
Not sure what they're trying to prove. A lack of mathematical understanding maybe ?
Not trying to prove anything except there are two sides to the debate.
And I'm not understanding your mathematics point ... I understand that some club sites are cheaper than driving hundreds of miles and paying ferry costs when some only have a few days away.
I won't waste fuel and site fees to put up with grey skies and cold miserable weather...Spain either direct ferry or through France depending of time of year.
How does that work if you only have a long weekend?
Been a lovely sunny day here with clear blue skies.

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
Just received this email from CAMC with reduction to deposit and 20% off a variety of sites during midweek.
All during the peak period .
Maybe with all the noise about their fees and perhaps people voting with their feet theyve had to react?

View attachment 768743
I didn’t renew as its just not proven worth it to us and C&C Have much better deals .

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Over 10 years ago we gave up CCC and stayed in C& Cc as we loved their Temporary Holiday Sites. Used them all summer

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Over 10 years ago we gave up CCC and stayed in C& Cc as we loved their Temporary Holiday Sites. Used them all summer
Think you mean "gave up CC" or as it is now CAMC.
THS are run by the CCC,
Just read again.. too many CCCCCCC,'s
Assume by CCC you mean "Caravan Club", and by C& Cc you mean "Camping and Caravanning" club.
Sorry not being pedantic but many get confused by the 2 clubs..
Worst thing the Caravan Club did (simply CC) Was to change to the CAMC (Caravan and Motorhome Club).
Sorry only my view..

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Think you mean "gave up CC" or as it is now CAMC.
THS are run by the CCC,
Just read again.. too many CCCCCCC,'s
Assume by CCC you mean "Caravan Club", and by C& Cc you mean "Camping and Caravanning" club.
Sorry not being pedantic but many get confused by the 2 clubs..
Worst thing the Caravan Club did (simply CC) Was to change to the CAMC (Caravan and Motorhome Club).
Sorry only my view..
Correct. It was CC when we left and C&CC that hold THS

Carol

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Just saw 'Roaming Radfords' youtube at the CCC awards evening. Nice little dinner do. Paid for 'us' members?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Just saw 'Roaming Radfords' youtube at the CCC awards evening. Nice little dinner do. Paid for 'us' members?

To be fair, it’s not unusual for ‘clubs’ of all types to have award events usually based around a posh frocks dinner and speaker. Not my idea of a fun night out, but hey ho. While the CCC continue with the age concession rate, I’ll probably remain a member.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
No issues with CCC -> we love their pop up sites, love their prices (not age concession, but grass no ehu rates), love their staffs attitude, and never had a bad experience on their sites to date. CAMC we've had people complain about which way around we park (not their staff) despite the rules being you can go either way!

I think the club without motorhome in it's name does rather better for most motorhomers than the one with it in it's name effectively. The only positive we have with CAMC is it does still have our favourite site to date (Kessingland), but it's a shame as it's not open in winter.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Just read in the CMHC magazine that registrations of caravans and motorhome (25,000) this year is a concern. (Page 48) Given the age profile, disillusionment and lower numbers taking it up, that there may be a dwindling number of potential members for future years. I wonder what long terms plans the Club (or indeed both clubs) has for their future? Diversification into pods or pool complexes, selling sites to balance books, takeovers by US concerns, or .... who knows what else. Tweaking a little discount of pitch fees here and there may be fiddling while Rome burns.
Ps. Moho registrations now outnumber caravan registrations for the first time, but i think many of us have noticed this trend for a couple of years.

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Not particularly surprised that registrations are down & am pretty sure the trade will point to supply issues. Whilst this is still true for certain models/manufacturers it appears that stock is starting to appear in numbers on forecourts. With the price of many new vans up by 40% in the last few years it will price many out of the market & maybe we’ll see the return of budget models & limited editions.As Margaret Thatcher said you can’t buck the market. I agree with her & 46 years in the sharp end of the motor trade tells me things can change & sometimes quickly,so maybe the caravan site owners will have to change too.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Just read in the CMHC magazine that registrations of caravans and motorhome (25,000) this year is a concern. (Page 48) Given the age profile, disillusionment and lower numbers taking it up, that there may be a dwindling number of potential members for future years. I wonder what long terms plans the Club (or indeed both clubs) has for their future? Diversification into pods or pool complexes, selling sites to balance books, takeovers by US concerns, or .... who knows what else. Tweaking a little discount of pitch fees here and there may be fiddling while Rome burns.
Ps. Moho registrations now outnumber caravan registrations for the first time, but i think many of us have noticed this trend for a couple of years.

Another telling quote from page 49 - OUTLOOK FOR 2023 :

"Understandably, some of our members, in the face of tighter budgets, have chosen to reduce their stays on the main UK Club sites. This has happened at the same time as more members have chosen to venture abroad ... and this has created a compound impact for UK sites when soaring cost inflation is considered. The net effect is that the Club does not expect to quite achieve its 2023 budget surplus."

What does not expect to quite achieve mean, exactly? I suspect that the Treasurer has a pretty good idea of the current revenues and expenditure to date in 2023. Trouble ahead, methinks. Quite possibly why they are discounting pitch fees and cutting the deposit to 10%. If all was going swimmingly well they wouldn't do stuff like that. DON'T PANIC! :xdoh:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
As they started as a caravan club they could put their sites miles from any attraction, they park up for a week or more and use the tow car to drive out. Motorhomers do not have the car so really need sites closer to the attractions or publiic transport. Club shuttle busses?

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
See CAMC are finally getting the message?? Membership fees to rise to £63 from 15th Dec 23. From £55 I make that about a 14% rise. They call it a small unavoidable increase, but recognising cost of living pressures state that they have delivered a range of discounts and promotions to members?? Mmhhh!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
See CAMC are finally getting the message?? Membership fees to rise to £63 from 15th Dec 23. From £55 I make that about a 14% rise. They call it a small unavoidable increase, but recognising cost of living pressures state that they have delivered a range of discounts and promotions to members?? Mmhhh!

At this rate maybe 2024 is the year they implode?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Cancelled my membership as of the end of the month after 14 years.

I simply can’t sustain the price rises.

I wouldn’t mind so much if I didn’t have to pay for electric, but I do regardless on most pitches.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My Facebook memories remind me that for many years, I have been at Bristol’s Baltic Wharf site at this time of year, having had to book many months in advance.

Out of interest, I had a look at availability. Apart from 30th and 31st December, there are no nights that are fully booked in the next 6 months.

Not really surprising seeing that for 2 adults it’s an eye-watering £53.40 until it drops to a £38.60 a night until mid-March when it goes back up to between £45 and £52 a night. Bonkers prices!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
My Facebook memories remind me that for many years, I have been at Bristol’s Baltic Wharf site at this time of year, having had to book many months in advance.

Out of interest, I had a look at availability. Apart from 30th and 31st December, there are no nights that are fully booked in the next 6 months.

Not really surprising seeing that for 2 adults it’s an eye-watering £53.40 until it drops to a £38.60 a night until mid-March when it goes back up to between £45 and £52 a night. Bonkers prices!

I think Bristol’s Clean Air Zone had played its part in keeping folks away. Get that wrong and you get a very expensive stopover! I think between the two of them CAMC and Bristol Council will kill off the prospect of a campsite in Bristol City.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back