LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Nice motor spotted at Shell Bay, Studland, Dorset this morning.

Wondered if it belonged to a funster? :giggle:

PXL_20210912_091643560~2.jpg

PXL_20210912_091728978~2.jpg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have had 6 Range Rovers soon to be 7 and 5 of them needed warranty work, Land Rover are spot on with their after sales and don’t try to worm there way out of claims.
None of the issues caused me to abandon the vehicle.
I would never buy one out of warranty though as the repair bills would be horrendous😁

Plenty of motorhome manufactures could do with looking at RR customer care though☹️☹️

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I’m sure it will be cheaper than the new plastic defender, and with a far better design

No fluffy stuff, and all tried and tested engineering. Two engines, both BMW 6 pot petrol and diesel with an 8 speed ZF box. All washable, and prewired for extras.
Made by INEOS?? the british chemical guy
WOW...nice

Didnt even know they were into motors

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Having driven and owned Landrovers from Series2A / Series3 / Early90 and an early Discovery I think the Wilks brothers would think Landrover have missed the point of a cheap do anything vehicle.
To me a Landrover had to be driven and it rained in but that was part of its character. An old advert was that they could be driven in ballet shoes or size ten wellies.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Having driven and owned Landrovers from Series2A / Series3 / Early90 and an early Discovery I think the Wilks brothers would think Landrover have missed the point of a cheap do anything vehicle.
To me a Landrover had to be driven and it rained in but that was part of its character. An old advert was that they could be driven in ballet shoes or size ten wellies.
I had a 1949 series 1 when at college, then a 1962 series 2a and then a 1990 V8 Discovery within a month of launch - loved 'em all. :giggle: (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm not a massive fan of the original Landy. It was easy to repair... but it needed to be. Almost every photo you see of one being driven, the driver's window is open. Because otherwise it would mist up, and there's nowhere to put your arm otherwise as it's so narrow.

The new Defender. If you haven't seen one in the metal... it's huge. Much bigger than the old one and bigger than it looks in pictures. I think someone designed the shape in CAD, then realised it had to fit over the Discovery floorpan and just scaled it up 30% to make it fit. It is luxurious inside. But like every modern car, it'll be hard to repair. And they are expensive. It weighs a little bit more than the old one at 2.2t

The Grenadier... is exactly the same. It looks more like the old Lanny, but it's just as modern and hard to fix as the new Defender. And it costs about the same too. And it's also 2.6t, so it's not exactly going to skip across a muddy field.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The Grenadier... is exactly the same. It looks more like the old Lanny, but it's just as modern and hard to fix as the new Defender. And it costs about the same too. And it's also 2.6t, so it's not exactly going to skip across a muddy field.
That isn‘t strictly true. its a far simpler construction than the new Defender and that is something that they are pursuing. It’s being designed for such people as the HALO trust, and able to be maintained any where it needs to go.
The engineering is tried and tested stuff such as the BMW engine, the ZF Gearbox, and mechanical shift on the transfer box.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
That isn‘t strictly true. its a far simpler construction than the new Defender and that is something that they are pursuing. It’s being designed for such people as the HALO trust, and able to be maintained any where it needs to go.
The engineering is tried and tested stuff such as the BMW engine, the ZF Gearbox, and mechanical shift on the transfer box.
The Grenadier has a body on frame construction. Which is simpler to design and construct, but unless you've got a massive lift, it doesn't really help the average mechanic any more than a monocoque. And it's probably the reason it weighs 400kg more.

BMW engines are not exactly renowned for their high mile reliability or in the field serviceability. The ZF gearbox is the same 8 speed as the Defender (which is used in about half the cars on the road at the moment).

Apart from having less leather and plastic cover panels, I'm not sure where it'll be easier to maintain...?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The simple defender has body on frame design, which in certain circumstances makes some jobs easy but it’s not like you need to do it every service. The weight isn’t particularly an issue. Robustness is. The engines are easy sourced and used in many vehicles as is the box, hence them being used. It also has a basic suspension setup, which is one of the items that get abused with its job, and no silly toys like sonar, and loads of sensors that stop things working. I already know people who have handed back their new plastic Defenders. You cleary don’t like the Grenadier, but I would suggest you have a go in it before giving it a hard time. For me it’s nice that people are out there to produce things that aren’t just three year, then get rid plastic vehicles, that are all show and toys but no quality.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The simple defender has body on frame design, which in certain circumstances makes some jobs easy but it’s not like you need to do it every service. The weight isn’t particularly an issue. Robustness is. The engines are easy sourced and used in many vehicles as is the box, hence them being used. It also has a basic suspension setup, which is one of the items that get abused with its job, and no silly toys like sonar, and loads of sensors that stop things working. I already know people who have handed back their new plastic Defenders. You cleary don’t like the Grenadier, but I would suggest you have a go in it before giving it a hard time. For me it’s nice that people are out there to produce things that aren’t just three year, then get rid plastic vehicles, that are all show and toys but no quality.
I'm just not convinced that the Grenadier will be significantly different to the Defender in terms of complexity. It's still got a road going Euro6 BMW engine with the countless sensors. I bet most diagnosis is still done with a computer plugged into the OBD port. Plus INEOS aren't an automotive company with decades of experience, this is their first car. And they aren't even outsourcing the manufacturing, they are making the factory too. Will the engineering be perfect first time?

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I've got 2 LR's, a defender 90 and a Discovery Sport. Like chalk and cheese. Don't use the defender as much as I should really, sits in the garage for most of its life, apart for MOT and the very old run around the block. As for the Disco Sport just had a brand new engine complete with turbo fitted.

Getting back to the OP question. It's not mine but wish it was, I know the new defender is a bit like Marmite, personally having driven one, I like em.

Attachments

• IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    643.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5181.JPG
    IMG_5181.JPG
    517.9 KB · Views: 16
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I'm just not convinced that the Grenadier will be significantly different to the Defender in terms of complexity. It's still got a road going Euro6 BMW engine with the countless sensors. I bet most diagnosis is still done with a computer plugged into the OBD port. Plus INEOS aren't an automotive company with decades of experience, this is their first car. And they aren't even outsourcing the manufacturing, they are making the factory too. Will the engineering be perfect first time?
Everything needs OBD port, it’s even part of the MOT now, and certainly will be, but that doesn’t make it complicated, it often assists with repairs. Yes this is their first car, but Land River, like Fiat have made millions of vehicles. That doesn’t appear to make them reliable. As said I know people who have paid £70 odd thousand for a new Defender, and the dealer has had it longer than they have, and am reading on hear of new motorhomes not managing more than 16miles before requiring new engines, and even that takes weeks to diagnose. The fact they are making it themselves, in their own factory gives me more confidence that it will be good, rather than getting someone to just assemble it to a price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back