Anyone been caught at customs yet? (1 Viewer)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I could be wrong(again!!) But I am sure that in the time before eec we could take tinned food/meat into france?? Why the difference now??---- how can tinned food contain any problems for europe??
But we will comply with any rules IF we drive back to uk !!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I could be wrong(again!!) But I am sure that in the time before eec we could take tinned food/meat into france?? Why the difference now??---- how can tinned food contain any problems for europe??
But we will comply with any rules IF we drive back to uk !!!
Some of the French are fairly intelligent so I guess that the brighter ones will realise that at some point you might be opening the tins.

-----------

The customs people have one heck of a learning curve to know what's meat, dairy etc. if written in English and to check the small print on every item to check all the greedyments.
My Penguin biscuits contain milk products so will all chocolate be prohibited? :(
Will I have to prove that my Wagon Wheels don't contain wood?

(Yes, maybe they're silly examples but you'll get my point).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The problem I now have, is being a Bovril man, I have to now find someone that likes Marmite to part with their old jar.

Are Marmite jars now going to have a resale value on the Classified section ? :giggle:

I am a Bovril man,

Is Marmite for Remainers and Bovril for Brexiteerss?

Would add new dimension to discrimination. :LOL:

Geoff

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I am a Bovril man,

Is Marmite for Remainers and Bovril for Brexiteerss?

Would add new dimension to discrimination. :LOL:

Geoff

I think you might be onto something there. (y)

It could well be a used in future "B-word" discussions to avoid Coventry i.e. "here we go, another Marmite man" :LOL:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You do realise that some French supermarkets have a section for Brits that even offers Marmite?

At least they did but now ... who knows ... :whistle2:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Daily Express. Say no more.

For those who couldn't be bothered to read it:
But the insider said No 10 and Brussels would soon open talks to paper over cracks in the UK-EU trade deal ā€œwhich doesnā€™t cover everythingā€.

Surely Boris promised us that he would Get Bexit Done. So let's not have talk of re-opening negotiations just because some people feel they need to take certain things into the EU.

Gordon

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Neither it was coming in to france from Belgium ....they ransacked my van damaged my step they were even in my wallet , squirted toothpaste , shower gel etc in the sink , pulled lots of clothes etc out of cupboards ....made a right mess inside yet not once did they ask to see inside lockers or garage etc ..
Then when i was told i could go i seen them flagging in another uk van

This was on my return trip November 2019

You do look dodgy though :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As we understand it Marmite is OK but Bovril is not. Maybe vegetable gravy granules if they're vegan?
Bovril these days Is synthetic and also manufactured in the EU. I eat both.
It's not the humans that concern me, it's my 4 legged friends where the problem lies, they have a special diet dog food not readily available in France. Hay ho life gets more complicated as the day go on
There is an exemption for special diet dog foods. Most of those used in the uk are also sold here in spain

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For those who couldn't be bothered to read it:
But the insider said No 10 and Brussels would soon open talks to paper over cracks in the UK-EU trade deal ā€œwhich doesnā€™t cover everythingā€.

Surely Boris promised us that he would Get Bexit Done. So let's not have talk of re-opening negotiations just because some people feel they need to take certain things into the EU.

Gordon
I read it ... due to the massive issues due to covid I suspect a lot of it wasn't 'fully' dealt with and the existing 3rd country stuff was included as a stop-gap, with the intention of reviewing it in due course once the other stuff was sorted. Had covid not happened I'm certain it would have been clarified and resolved so we never even knew there was ever a possibly of these sorts of issues happening. Remember these things aren't just affecting us going to the EU but EU members coming here and then returning.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another question ... what restrictions are there for us returning to the UK with stuff we've bought abroad?

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Bovril these days Is synthetic and also manufactured in the EU. I eat both.

There is an exemption for special diet dog foods. Most of those used in the uk are also sold here in spain
Just how is Bovril synthetic?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Or, because it was so Q the team that were working that day got to read a British tabloid and said "have you seen this ? 5 euros into the kitty to see who can legally be the most pedantic man on earth" Just to stop the boredom.

In the great scheme of things a ham sandwich has gone missing.

Loving some of the "meat escape plans"

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just how is Bovril synthetic?
I've no idea but was reading about it a long while ago. There has been no meat in it since before bse.
** having just checked this by all accounts they removed it & made it vegitarian . They then reviewed it & changed back in 2006 using a beef extract.
So it appears to have meat extracts in it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovril

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
Iā€™m obviously not as rich as many on here, and found food shopping in France more expensive than the U.K. ( mind you we shop at Aldi and Lidl) so every penny counts which allows Mrs Spongebob and me to take 2 or 3 months in France/Spain in the winter. Any donations for our holiday fund will be much appreciated.šŸ˜‰

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back