Anyone been caught at customs yet? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Milk, sausages, bacon, butter and a fray bentos pie to put the sniffer dogs off....no problem

article-2014741-0D03616D00000578-218_306x423.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Going
Is really going to come to that ?
Customs searching Motorhomes and snatching up all the Bovril from OAPs ? 😂
Going back pre schengen.
I remember it well.
The problem is that we have all got used to how easy things were as EU members.
Not so easy to get used to the new reality, particularly when the "advantages" turn out to be smoke and mirrors.

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
Been thinking about what (if any) food we could take when we finally get over to 'Le'Continent'
Although we like eating and buying locally there's few things we really miss; gravy granules, Heinz ketchup, Colman's mustard, curry, custard. tea bags, marmite.
I know, I know -maybe sounds ridiculously English, but we like them.
Would we be allowed to take them?
Steph
Looking at some of the responses to your question one might think they were going to Mars or Outer Mongolia! It’s Europe! They have shops & Supermarkets ! If you can’t forgo the marmite or ketchup for a few weeks , your missing out on a whole new culinary experience. 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Neither it was coming in to france from Belgium ....they ransacked my van damaged my step they were even in my wallet , squirted toothpaste , shower gel etc in the sink , pulled lots of clothes etc out of cupboards ....made a right mess inside yet not once did they ask to see inside lockers or garage etc ..
Then when i was told i could go i seen them flagging in another uk van

This was on my return trip November 2019
I came back last March 4th 2020.... via Calais.... never usually use that port as normally Dunkirk..... me and my pal had been on a cycle race and cycling extended weekend.... pulled by French Customs at the port... now probs as we never are loaded with booze other than the odd beer and some Belgian foodstuffs... Customs went through all the cupboards and out kit bags, made a right frickin mess to be honest..... Chief fella asked where have you been, heading to, what do you do for a living and all that stuff....after they found nothing as we had nothing to hide/declare....Chief fella said thank you and said we had a wasted time, I said we never break the rules....offered vehicle docs....he declined and sent on our way..... we missed our ferry which was a pain.....but at least housekeeping could be done before we boarded... Advice would be make sure you are within the new Rules that apply since this Brexit thing set us back 40 yrs..... oh well

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
<Broken link removed>

Just seen this - don't know how factual it is ..........................
Not very factual. The essence of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement signed by the UK government is the re-imposition of non-tariff barriers swept away in the process of creating the EU single market. This includes the application of the EU rules re Photosanitary checks that apply to all other 3rd Party countries that are not part of the EU. It was what was voted for consciously or otherwise back in 2016 and in the Withdrawal agreement voted for by Parliament, and implicitly by the voters when they voted for the "oven ready deal". In fact, although the implementation period of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, expired on the 31st January the EU/UK have applied the agreed three month grace period on the application of the full set of Photosanitary checks. This expires on April 1st.
See Exporting or moving high risk food and feed of ... - gov.uk
These are the rules for "authorised traders" of course so it may well be that what motorhomes might experience now, if we were allowed to travel, and truck drivers are experiencing, now is merely the application of the full rules that will apply to industrial and commercial parties come April 1st. Don't burn through your Brexit stockpile too fast, if you have one, some further disruption is to be expected. One of the more recent estimates is that suggests that over ten years UK exports to the EU will drop by 36% and imports by 30% compared to EU membership. A small part of that will be your Marmite sandwich.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Not very factual. The essence of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement signed by the UK government is the re-imposition of non-tariff barriers swept away in the process of creating the EU single market. This includes the application of the EU rules re Photosanitary checks that apply to all other 3rd Party countries that are not part of the EU. It was what was voted for consciously or otherwise back in 2016 and in the Withdrawal agreement voted for by Parliament, and implicitly by the voters when they voted for the "oven ready deal". In fact, although the implementation period of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, expired on the 31st January the EU/UK have applied the agreed three month grace period on the application of the full set of Photosanitary checks. This expires on April 1st.
These are the rules for "authorised traders" of course so it may well be that what motorhomes might experience now, if we were allowed to travel, and truck drivers are experiencing, now is merely the application of the full rules that will apply to industrial and commercial parties come April 1st. Don't burn through your Brexit stockpile too fast, if you have one, some further disruption is to be expected. One of the more recent estimates is that suggests that over ten years UK exports to the EU will drop by 36% and imports by 30% compared to EU membership. A small part of that will be your Marmite sandwich.
It's the sort of journalism you get when you employ unicorns as journalists . . . . .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi Andy
Gone from my account but says it will be reverted if not claimed in next 7 days - get that with a lot of stuff off Ebay. They just want to hang onto the money.
Can you send the details off the V5
Cheers
Vic

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Customs if they took my yorkshire tea away

Yorkshire Tea supports BLM. We no longer, therefore, drink their tea.

P.S. "Far right" below is "far right" in BBC terms, which is where this report comes from.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tea brands Yorkshire Tea and PG Tips have voiced support for the Black Lives Matter movement (BLM) after boycott threats from critics.
It began when Laura Towler, a far-right vlogger based in Yorkshire, praised her local brand for not having voiced support for the movement.
Yorkshire Tea said it had not yet commented on the BLM protests as it had been "taking time to educate" itself.
It tweeted: "Please don't buy our tea again."

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
No problem. Marmite is vegan.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I don't know what that means. Perhaps you could explain.
Just another way of saying fantasists - take a couple of facts, embellish them well with fairy dust flavoured with whatever your confirmation bias is (in this case, no guessing where the average Express "journalist" is at) and serve the story up as true.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Just another way of saying fantasists - take a couple of facts, embellish them well with fairy dust flavoured with whatever your confirmation bias is (in this case, no guessing where the average Express "journalist" is at) and serve the story up as true.
Ahh Thx

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Great response, factual and accurate...thank you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some body who is cleaver to make something to put on the roof to pack the food in then when you are through customs retrieve through the roof light ?
You try it first and report back! :giggle:

I wonder if someone has one of those 'satellite' domes they don't want anymore ..... :unsure:

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
Slightly Off Topic but took four hours to get through UK border control at Calais Eurotunnel today. Checking everyone for PCR result, tracking forms filled out and searching every vehicle.

One train leaving every hour with maybe 20-30 vehicles on (as that is how many were making it through border control in an hour).... Expected to be on the 13:20 and ended up on the 17:20.

In positive news the inverter is beefy enough to run the electric hotplate on the stove so still had tea despite the gas being off

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Slightly Off Topic but took four hours to get through UK border control at Calais Eurotunnel today. Checking everyone for PCR result, tracking forms filled out and searching every vehicle.

One train leaving every hour with maybe 20-30 vehicles on (as that is how many were making it through border control in an hour).... Expected to be on the 13:20 and ended up on the 17:20.

In positive news the inverter is beefy enough to run the electric hotplate on the stove so still had tea despite the gas being off
And that's when traffic is light! Looking on the bright side if we have to wait for hours at least we will be in our MH and not a car. We once were delayed at the Tunnel, every vehicle was offered the chance to take a voucher and go to the ferry in case the delay was very long. Most cars and coaches accepted the vouchers and left, leaving all the motorhomes to wait it out. As it happened the wait was only about two hours and I reckon we were back in the UK before any of the cars and coaches.
Hope the late arrival didn't cause you great inconvenience.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

I assume you were you in your MH - did they 'raid' the fridge?

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
And GB custom controls starts in July . So that might be when we start to find out what we can bring back home in our MH’s . Maybe some foods will be banned as well. Who knows .Hopefully though being a free trade deal there will not be any charges.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000

Out of interest, how many UK border control points were open. In the past the main problem has been 4/5 French open and only 1 UK. It sounds like it isn't going to get any better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back