Anyone been caught at customs yet? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Been thinking about what (if any) food we could take when we finally get over to 'Le'Continent'
Although we like eating and buying locally there's few things we really miss; gravy granules, Heinz ketchup, Colman's mustard, curry, custard. tea bags, marmite.
I know, I know -maybe sounds ridiculously English, but we like them.
Would we be allowed to take them?
Steph

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Been thinking about what (if any) food we could take when we finally get over to 'Le'Continent'
Although we like eating and buying locally there's few things we really miss; gravy granules, Heinz ketchup, Colman's mustard, curry, custard. tea bags, marmite.
Steph
Yes . I think itā€™s dairy and meat products that are restricted

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Customs if they took my yorkshire tea away šŸ˜€

5D93FAFD-BCC9-42D2-990D-BDFF3B15B7AD.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Steph
We do have Heinz ketchup and if you want custard buy the mix for flan and use as custard powder but donā€™t add sugar as is already in the mix . Curry well you can buy curry powder or if it is ready made sauces we have Pataks . Tea bags in the English aisle . Mustard too but depends on shop

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Lots of hiding places on a motorhome .......... just saying !
Exactly ive a few hidden compartments and i figure unless they are sending yiu through a scanner it would be very easy to tuck a few items away in a motorhome.

To be honest last year when my van was violated by french customs inside they never even checked any of the outside lockers or garages ....mental

OllyHughes

Free Member
Feb 15, 2010
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 584
Exp
Since 1992
It's not the humans that concern me, it's my 4 legged friends where the problem lies, they have a special diet dog food not readily available in France. Hay ho life gets more complicated as the day go on

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We do have Heinz ketchup and if you want custard buy the mix for flan and use as custard powder but donā€™t add sugar as is already in the mix . Curry well you can buy curry powder or if it is ready made sauces we have Pataks . Tea bags in the English aisle . Mustard too but depends on shop
As you say; we've found it depends on the shop and as we travel every couple of days or so it's a bit hit and miss.
We think we'll be going directly to Spain so won't be in France at all. I know on the Costas getting English stuff is easy but we're going along the coast to Santiago so it might not be so easy. It all adds to the adventure .
It's not a massive problem - although it would be if we're not allowed tea bags. Then there would be trouble!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Exactly ive a few hidden compartments and i figure unless they are sending yiu through a scanner it would be very easy to tuck a few items away in a motorhome.

To be honest last year when my van was violated by french customs inside they never even checked any of the outside lockers or garages ....mental
Was that going back to the UK or coming from?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It's not the humans that concern me, it's my 4 legged friends where the problem lies, they have a special diet dog food not readily available in France. Hay ho life gets more complicated as the day go on
I'm pretty certain I've read that special dietary/medicinal foods with meat or dairy for us and pets is permitted. Perhaps a note from your doc or vet is required but that does seem a bit OTT.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Was that going back to the UK or coming from?
Neither it was coming in to france from Belgium ....they ransacked my van damaged my step they were even in my wallet , squirted toothpaste , shower gel etc in the sink , pulled lots of clothes etc out of cupboards ....made a right mess inside yet not once did they ask to see inside lockers or garage etc ..
Then when i was told i could go i seen them flagging in another uk van

This was on my return trip November 2019

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Wonder how many Funsters will now be saving jars and containers for future use? :LOL: Recycling at its best

The problem I now have, is being a Bovril man, I have to now find someone that likes Marmite to part with their old jar.

Are Marmite jars now going to have a resale value on the Classified section ? :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back