Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
What do others think of this situation?
We were on a proper campsite, arrive back at the m/h around 7.30pm after eating at the pub. van is boiling as expected. Open all the windows, doors & vents & by 8.30 it's down to 25 degrees, just about to settle down & watch TV when the tugger next door & directly upwind of us gets out his home made BBQ & lights it with fire lighters. Our van was enveloped in thick smoke which went on for around 40 minutes, we had to close everything up & escape until he'd finished, around 9.30!

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We were on a proper campsite, arrive back at the m/h around 7.30pm after eating at the pub. van is boiling as expected. Open all the windows, doors & vents & by 8.30 it's down to 25 degrees, just about to settle down & watch TV when the tugger next door & directly upwind of us gets out his home made BBQ & lights it with fire lighters. Our van was enveloped in thick smoke which went on for around 40 minutes, we had to close everything up & escape until he'd finished, around 9.30!
Am wondering have you looked at Hotels at all (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All in the fun of camping I guess :)
yeah its a difficult one this , woulfdnt have liked it myself but if they are allowed dont think there is much you can do , maybe move if there is a spare place or join them and sit round the other side(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It happens. You could just as easily been upwind and the tugger receiving the benefits of the after effects of a hot curry. We didn’t BBQ until late at the weekend as it was simply too hot, but our posh Waitrose filet mignon would have smelt superb.....;)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I expect to smell BBQs whilst among other campers and as annoying as the thick smoke is when you're directly downwind, it's part of the course of lighting up.

I enjoy sitting out in the fresh air, enjoying my food or a cuppa and occasionally someone upwind will start their old diesel engine up and leave it ticking over, totally oblivious to my needs, so I move for a few minutes.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@simbadog i can simpathise with you I hate the dam things if only people were a bit more considerate they could set up so it didn’t blow over you I’m sure,but all you get Told is move or consider a hotel?(y)(y)(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
yeah its a difficult one this , woulfdnt have liked it myself but if they are allowed dont think there is much you can do , maybe move if there is a spare place or join them and sit round the other side(y)

Obviously BBQs allowed and not an outlandish time so it’s camping , if you partake it’s a risk you take , they had every right to light it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You occasionally get that whilst wild camping too.

But you can move without worrying about a peg

You can use what you'd have spent on fees to go down the pub for the night while you wait for the smoke to die down

You can think to yourself well at least I didn't pay to be smoked out

And you can wait till they've gone to bed let their tyres down and scarper somewhere else after waking them up revving your engine and playing loud music to wake them up .

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I was sat there, waiting for the Sun to go down a little and these people rolled up from the Pub, been there a while I expect, and stuck Coronation Street on, blaring out with all the windows and doors open! Luckily after about 40 minutes they closed the windows and we were no longer disturbed by their TV

Could be a post from the other perspective? No right or wrong to be honest, we tend to BBQ later in the evening when it is hot

I love the smell of a charcoal BBQ and a wood fire but truthfully an too lazy to deal with it all so Charcoal BBQ smoke wafting over whilst I sear my steaks on my gas BBQ is a win win for me(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was on a very pricey Spanish site Easter 2017 and these 3 German vans pitched up with loads of kids. They didn't light any fires but played really loud dance music. I wouldn't say it was late probably 8-8.30pm but I found it intrusive so I felt compelled to ask them to turn it down or off.
They were 3 big German men much younger than me so I felt a bit intimidated. One was really nice but the other two were a bit arsey but in fairness they did turn it off after my second request.

I did wonder afterwards though what the rights and wrongs of the situation were. They were on holiday like me and entitled to enjoy themselves.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
It is simply a problem of the age. It seems that these days next to no one considers the consequences of their actions. This crosses all social boundaries. Just look at pollticiians! Sadly long after we are gone there will be a return to discipline and politeness. You only have to hear the language used on the streets in front of women, children and other folk. Quite appalling.

Mind you, it will have to get far worse before finally the straw will break the camel's back.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
its just the same as the bloke who complained about the funster rally a week ago if you decide to go where other people are you have to be prepared for other people to do other things than you, its camping im afraid , and apart from the smoke at the start, it wasnt going to last all night or anything so , no it isnt somethingh to get annoyed about spoiling their and your holiday.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I was on a very pricey Spanish site Easter 2017 and these 3 German vans pitched up with loads of kids. They didn't light any fires but played really loud dance music. I wouldn't say it was late probably 8-8.30pm but I found it intrusive so I felt compelled to ask them to turn it down or off.
They were 3 big German men much younger than me so I felt a bit intimidated. One was really nice but the other two were a bit arsey but in fairness they did turn it off after my second request.

I did wonder afterwards though what the rights and wrongs of the situation were. They were on holiday like me and entitled to enjoy themselves.
It is hard, I have been shouted at, and shouted at!

And I felt 100% in the right each time so a difficult path to navigate.

I think that I am slowly learning, that as my normal response if shouted at is aggressive and belligerent, more likely to make me do more of the thing that is annoying someone, is instead of me shouting, me simply politely saying "Love the music, don't want to spoil your fun but you probably don't realise how loud it is over there on our pitch, so could you do me a favor and turn it down a bit" is a better approach

Having said that I really love people having a fantastic time, so we are more likely to wander over with a bottle of something and introduce ourselves than complain

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It's a bit inconsiderate of them, if I lit one and it was blowing over someone else's pitch I'd feel a bit embarrassed and move it until it was blowing somewhere else... I'm afraid, you get these selfish people nowadays. (n)

Exactly my view.

I wouldn’t be bothered by them smelling the aroma of the food I was cooking but if, on start up, the smoke/ fumes from the initial lighting of the BBQ was blowing directly on a neighbour, then I’d move the BBQ until it was ready to cook on.

Ian

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I wouldn't light up a bbq near someone who had their doors and windows open. I think it was inconsiderate of them.

On a campsite on a hot evening I doubt you would ever get to light your bbq if waiting for all nearby windows to be closed .

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
peeOnAnything.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It is simply a problem of the age. It seems that these days next to no one considers the consequences of their actions. This crosses all social boundaries. Just look at pollticiians! Sadly long after we are gone there will be a return to discipline and politeness. You only have to hear the language used on the streets in front of women, children and other folk. Quite appalling.

Mind you, it will have to get far worse before finally the straw will break the camel's back.
I think thats unfair on a lot of youngsters I find a lot of older people seem to feel entitled to do as they like and are just as likely to push in front as youngsters in queues etc they also seem to think that they have the right to dictate how others behave just because they are old.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Well our sort of camping with fires all night long and people playing musical instruments and getting stoned and drinking would not go down well with some on here then .
Spending the day collecting firewood and then out with the chainsaw ready for the evenings fire especially in winter .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think thats unfair on a lot of youngsters I find a lot of older people seem to feel entitled to do as they like and are just as likely to push in front as youngsters in queues etc they also seem to think that they have the right to dictate how others behave just because they are old.
I Don't think that was a dig at any age group i took it to be the age we all live in and not specific ly aimed at any group in particular(y)(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I Don't think that was a dig at any age group i took it to be the age we all live in and not specific ly aimed at any group in particular(y)(y)
Sorry it didn't read that way to me. I think a lot of people remember back and forget the bad perhaps the rot if there is one started with the grab what you can culture promoted by Maggie in the 80,s ..................................loadsamoney

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
One of the reasons I like camping away from others and hate when folk park up so close is I like to listen to my music etc and if I'm entertaining I can be noisy :p and I like my privacy.

So I consideratly park away from the herd

But it almost never fails that some Muppet will come and park right next to me ...

That's when I get the ukelele out and start singing kumba ya

Other times I just go in and out to the garage and keep slamming the door

I'm tempted to start going over and introducing myself but cough and splutter a over my hand before offering a handshake etc.

I find making yourself the worst person to park beside often works better than trying to be polite.

Most people are just a bunch of selfish sods nowadays sadly

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sorry it didn't read that way to me. I think a lot of people remember back and forget the bad perhaps the rot if there is one started with the grab what you can culture promoted by Maggie in the 80,s ..................................loadsamoney
Where was it mentioned that youngsters were to blame? No age group was mentioned at all.(y)(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
One of the reasons I like camping away from others and hate when folk park up so close is I like to listen to my music etc and if I'm entertaining I can be noisy :p and I like my privacy.

So I consideratly park away from the herd

But it almost never fails that some Muppet will come and park right next to me ...

That's when I get the ukelele out and start singing kumba ya

Other times I just go in and out to the garage and keep slamming the door

I'm tempted to start going over and introducing myself but cough and splutter a over my hand before offering a handshake etc.

I find making yourself the worst person to park beside often works better than trying to be polite.

Most people are just a bunch of selfish sods nowadays sadly
Wash less??

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Or, you could say that the rot started with the sit on their arse hands out mentality, which is a by blow of the tax the hard working people and give it away to the feckless, Policies by the likes of Micheal Foot!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back