LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It was not me with my mobile camping BBQ :)
New BBQ.jpg

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Mmm, really don't think we're cut out to be campers :unsure:. I hate barbecues and barbecued food with a passion, detest the smell and smoke. I also don't like hearing children or dogs or loud music. We bought our motor home to get away from everyone and everything which is why we prefer CL/CS sites. Would love to do more wild camping but I'm such a wuss and worried about people sneaking about at night up to no good. I'm also a loner, so pretty anti-social. Does this make me a bad person or just a miserable sod :LOL:
Yes.....:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
People go camping, motorhome, they light BBQs, they listen to music, they talk outside in groups. That's camping on a field.

If you want quite, no BBQ smells, no noise, no generators, then I think campsites and rallies are not the place to go in the summer.

Don't get me wrong all the above should finish at a reasonable time say 2am.

You missed something, but I’ve fixed it for you.

Ian

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I didn't realize quoting a line from a film could be so controversial, When that line is used buy people so much today when they squeeze too much BB-Q lighter fluid on the charcoal & light it & run!

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
What do others think of this situation?
We were on a proper campsite, arrive back at the m/h around 7.30pm after eating at the pub. van is boiling as expected. Open all the windows, doors & vents & by 8.30 it's down to 25 degrees, just about to settle down & watch TV when the tugger next door & directly upwind of us gets out his home made BBQ & lights it with fire lighters. Our van was enveloped in thick smoke which went on for around 40 minutes, we had to close everything up & escape until he'd finished, around 9.30!

Yes - you have every right to be annoyed and maybe you should have asked them to politely put it out - failing that if you have a scooter perhaps start it up upwind of them with a bit of oil added to the fuel tank - that might get them to understand your annoyance.:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I didn't realize quoting a line from a film could be so controversial, When that line is used buy people so much today when they squeeze too much BB-Q lighter fluid on the charcoal & light it & run!

I never took offence.. but after recently watching the Ken Burns documentary about the Vietnam war I thought it poor taste.

The line in the movie was to show how that particular US officer viewed these people, and how war had changed him.. it's perhaps how they cope with the killing people ?

The war crimes committed by both sides were atrocious .. and not IMV something to joke about when lighting a barbie ..

this haunting image will be forever be etched on my mind .. the little girl who suffered terrible burns now lives in Canada

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In the context of a burning barbie ruining your day the meme was a Joke with someone trying to be funny. Laugh or don't..

Complaining about it and posting a photo of a burning child. Welcome to motorhome facts :doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In the context of a burning barbie ruining your day the meme was a Joke with someone trying to be funny. Laugh or don't..

Complaining about it and posting a photo of a burning child. Welcome to motorhome facts :doh:

"someone trying to be funny" ... forgive me, I didn't see the humour..

" Complaining about it " . I never reported or complained. I posted to explain why some may be offended ..

I wasn't the only one who commented.. didn't see you make a sarcastic comment to that post ..

Disgusting... totally disgusting.

JJ :cool:

" Welcome to motorhome facts " what a churlish comment to make Jim, I though you better than that.

the photo offends please feel free to delete.. or indeed the whole post , that is your prerogative.. I stand by my view

Last edited:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Anyone know how much the subscription is for "Permanently Offended Magazine" these day's ?:whistle:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I could fit A/C for you?.

I feel for you and know the arguments inside out from both sides.

To be fair, I am not a confrontational person (usually). But, that said, I have had my fair share of campsite rows.

I generally tolerate most things on a campsite. It is usually people who complain to us. You know the sort, the dog barks all day whilst sat next to its owner. The same one who parks their car across your pitch, the ferrel kids run riot. Then, when you put the radio on (moderate). Here we go "EXCUSE ME"......Blah Blah.

When We had our BIG Frankia, everyone hated us. From inadvertently blocking sea views (playa montroig (only way we could fit on our pre-booked sea front pitch)).

To blocking some mouthy loud guys Satellite signal. I mean, who sets a blinking sat dish up on a trailer, next to a vacant pitch. Then Asks why I could not park somewhere else? (how about, because its too big to fit any other pitch). So despite me offering him a feed from my twin LNB, he went off and sulked. Only for me to turn the van 90 degrees for him to get a signal, but with our hab door facing his. He got to see me every morning with, well erm,... "MORNING!".

But the best one of all was not on a campsite, but on Pont Aven. Afternoon sailing back from Spain with our Daughter and two Grandchildren. Sat on our Cabins Balcony, children playing inside. We were sat with a bottle of Cava celebrating our holiday. Suddenly, Mrs Bouquet from the neighbouring balcony, called me over and faintly whispered over the waves.....

"Excuse me, could you keep your conversation a little lower, only my Husband and I can hardly hear each other. And we are sat in the cabin at the table"..........................

Some people should just stay at home.

I hope the next time the OP gets some more considerate neighbours.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Were you right? I think the question should be 'was it reasonable' to get annoyed. From this thread it seems not. IMHO petty everyday annonyances are best put to the 'does it really matter' test and forgotten about. Otherwise they start to dominate your life... which is not a great way to happiness.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think the best way to deal with these situations is the tried and tested method used by the other community of "travelers" ,
rip your shirt off and in your best Irish accent challenge them to a bare knuckle fight! :LOL:

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
There’s Barbecuing and there’s the loose interpretation of “Man Make Fire to Cook”
I often watch as fellow campers set up the BBQ especially if they are using charcoal or briquettes. Unless you have grasped the fundamentals of using these materials correctly more often than not it will result in lots of annoying smoke, flames, charred meat and possibly food poisoning.

The simple way to avoid upsetting your neighbours is to use good quality briquettes. Weber are widely available and do a good job. Don’t dowse them in lighter fuel, use Weber or similar lighter cubes and a Chimney Starter. If there is space and you can safely find somewhere away from the wind and neighbours to light the coals, a Chimney Starter is the best way to prepare the coals evenly. Once they have turned grey and the flames have subsided you are good to go.

I use a modified Weber Jumbo Joe when we are away in the MH. The addition of a temperature gauge in the lid allows for more accurate cooking. Although probes will work just fine. Depending on what I am cooking and for how long will mean I either use direct heat or indirect heat, this is the important bit and where some people go wrong. The occasional fat dripping from meat on to hot coals will produce flames which is fine, but too much flame will cook and char the outside too quickly leaving the middle underdone, ok ish for steak but deadly for chicken, sausages, pork etc. Using a combination of indirect and direct allows for the meat to cook as desired without too much smoke and flames.

Another trick is to cut the oxygen off by placing the lid on if things are a bit fierce to start with. The BBQ is one of the most versatile bits of cooking kit available, so versatile in fact you can pretty much cook anything and everything from Chillis, Chutney, and Chinese Stri Fry to Rice Pudding, Bread and Butter Pudding, Sticky Toffee Pudding and even a Victoria Sandwich.

Make your neighbours salivate not suffocate.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
There’s Barbecuing and there’s the loose interpretation of “Man Make Fire to Cook”
I often watch as fellow campers set up the BBQ especially if they are using charcoal or briquettes. Unless you have grasped the fundamentals of using these materials correctly more often than not it will result in lots of annoying smoke, flames, charred meat and possibly food poisoning.

The simple way to avoid upsetting your neighbours is to use good quality briquettes. Weber are widely available and do a good job. Don’t dowse them in lighter fuel, use Weber or similar lighter cubes and a Chimney Starter. If there is space and you can safely find somewhere away from the wind and neighbours to light the coals, a Chimney Starter is the best way to prepare the coals evenly. Once they have turned grey and the flames have subsided you are good to go.

I use a modified Weber Jumbo Joe when we are away in the MH. The addition of a temperature gauge in the lid allows for more accurate cooking. Although probes will work just fine. Depending on what I am cooking and for how long will mean I either use direct heat or indirect heat, this is the important bit and where some people go wrong. The occasional fat dripping from meat on to hot coals will produce flames which is fine, but too much flame will cook and char the outside too quickly leaving the middle underdone, ok ish for steak but deadly for chicken, sausages, pork etc. Using a combination of indirect and direct allows for the meat to cook as desired without too much smoke and flames.

Another trick is to cut the oxygen off by placing the lid on if things are a bit fierce to start with. The BBQ is one of the most versatile bits of cooking kit available, so versatile in fact you can pretty much cook anything and everything from Chillis, Chutney, and Chinese Stri Fry to Rice Pudding, Bread and Butter Pudding, Sticky Toffee Pudding and even a Victoria Sandwich.

Make your neighbours salivate not suffocate.

Barbecuing should not be that complicated, it's a blue job and we are only men:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

I was shown how to make "man cook with fire" by a Boer when I lived in RSA in the 70s .. they call it " braaivleis, "

The word braaivleis (English: /ˈbraɪfleɪs/; Afrikaans pronunciation: [ˈbrɑːifləis]) is Afrikaans for grilled meat. The word braai (plural braais) is Afrikaans for barbecue or grill and is a social custom in South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Malawi

All we took on the truck was a piece of expanded metal for the grill, and a billy can for cooking the tomato BBQ sauce..

Fuel was found in the bush and the fire built between a circle of stones , wait until fire is glowing embers then place grill on top to cook .. That was how I did it for many years afterwards.

The most memorable braaivleis had a whole ox on a spit.. this was at Impala Platinum, the mine where I worked.. it was to celebrate ONE fatality free month.. yes .. that was a good month, noone was killed..:(

Nowadays due to so many regulations on camp sites about using BBQs it's easier just to use a gas model.. such as the Weber Q 1200, which is as close as it gets to the real thing.

No mess , no fuss and you get that great BBQ flavour from the meat juices sizzling and smoking on the plates below.. flavour should never be derived from the smoke from the fuel..

I also use a big Weber kettle for smoking brisket and a Weber Go Anywhere when we go somewhere it can be used

Reactions: Jim

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Why not just walk round with a friendly beer and chat about it, so much simpler than all this chuntering on and on the internet. Your well fed neighbours will never read all this.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Why not just walk round with a friendly beer and chat about it, so much simpler than all this chuntering on and on the internet. Your well fed neighbours will never read all this.

The only grumble your hear from me is my tummy. Too much information is a dangerous thing for some.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back