Am I right to be annoyed? (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
People go camping, motorhome, they light BBQs, they listen to music, they talk outside in groups. That's camping on a field.

If you want quite, no BBQ smells, no noise then I think campsites and rallies are not the place to go in the summer.

Don't get me wrong all the above should finish at a reasonable time say 2am.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
People go camping, motorhome, they light BBQs, they listen to music, they talk outside in groups. That's camping on a field.

If you want quite, no BBQ smells, no noise then I think campsites and rallies are not the place to go in the summer.

Unfortunately camping is not as it was or as you describe anymore its participants these days seem to want something sanitised and certainly boring in my opinion.
The clubs and corporate campsites have created the monster that's not going away anytime soon .
We are finding more and more that actually motorhome owners are actually not very nice people and we have nothing in common with them , they wave on the road but then look at you as if you have 2 heads if you speak to them at a site and I promise only ask them to be my "Speacial Friend " if they annoy me ! (y)
The forums are full of Grey water pervs who want to photograph any fluids being emitted from your motorhome and plaster (Name and shame they shout ) you all over the internet ! They will eventually pick on the wrong person and find either their camera smashed to bits or worse their van wrecked when they leave it .
We have always tried to help our fellow campers but these days we are tending to just leave the idiots to themselves as if what you tell them isn't what MMM or their dealer said they think you are an Alien.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Camping is not an excuse to ignore societal norms. Most campsites I've used enforce reasonable rules and l agree rallies are different. However it could be argued that 2am finish for noisy activities is unreasonable at any event and might just exclude families with young children from camping and rallies. Even Funster events close down at midnight. It's simply a question of being aware of the needs of others nearby.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Unfortunately camping is not as it was or as you describe anymore its participants these days seem to want something sanitised and certainly boring in my opinion.
The clubs and corporate campsites have created the monster that's not going away anytime soon .
We are finding more and more that actually motorhome owners are actually not very nice people and we have nothing in common with them , they wave on the road but then look at you as if you have 2 heads if you speak to them at a site and I promise only ask them to be my "Speacial Friend " if they annoy me ! (y)
The forums are full of Grey water pervs who want to photograph any fluids being emitted from your motorhome and plaster (Name and shame they shout ) you all over the internet ! They will eventually pick on the wrong person and find either their camera smashed to bits or worse their van wrecked when they leave it .
We have always tried to help our fellow campers but these days we are tending to just leave the idiots to themselves as if what you tell them isn't what MMM or their dealer said they think you are an Alien.
Who are all these people you claim are spoiling it we have spent the last six years out on the road and very rarely met anyone that was as you describe in fact most were always pleasant and helpful, and if there is someone out there spiteful enough to wreck our van or smash a camera we’ve not met them yet, I don’t think it’s as bad as you paint it:D(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I wish I had the patience of all these people who never get annoyed at anything.

It must be fantastic to be so laid back.

I think the older I get the more other people annoy me lol .....and yes when I sit and try to look at it from the other perspective sometimes it is just how life is
But I do think attitudes have changed dramatically .....i remember the times when I did use campsites when the kids were young and trying to stop them annoying other people close by only to later wish I hadn't bothered when those same people didn't care about anyone else around them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Camping is not an excuse to ignore societal norms.

well said.. but sadly, it's not just camping..

we have a 'me me me' society where social norms and social graces are old fashioned and laughed at .. I'll do what I like , you can suffer it

on some big sites kids are allowed to roam like a pack of feral dogs while parents sit behind a wind break quaffing cheap wine.. music is played until the early hours .. wouldn't mind if it wasn't always county and western.. :rolleyes: you complain you are at best told to eff off and mind your own business ..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You must have been camping with the wrong people then , or idiots that use handsaws (y)
Turned up at the drove at Stonehenge in a brand new van once and the hippies were amazed to see the posh lot bringing out the firewood and chainsaw.
Nothing wrong with a handsaw gives those biceps a workout while you get firewood

Arrius

Free Member
Jun 29, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
I would pick a fight with the guy, tbh you were extremely understanding of him.

I get it it is a camping site but I am sure there are other spots where he can set his grill and not bother his neighbors.

It is just rude and not acceptable behavior imo. When I go camping, I try my best not to bother anyone else because people drive all that way to relax and enjoy the outdoors not smoke some prick's grill smoke.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
smell.jpg

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
well said.. but sadly, it's not just camping..

we have a 'me me me' society where social norms and social graces are old fashioned and laughed at .. I'll do what I like , you can suffer it

on some big sites kids are allowed to roam like a pack of feral dogs while parents sit behind a wind break quaffing cheap wine.. music is played until the early hours .. wouldn't mind if it wasn't always county and western.. :rolleyes: you complain you are at best told to eff off and mind your own business ..
There’s some quiet nice cheap wines :D:wine:

Arrius

Free Member
Jun 29, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
For some reason, people are becoming less and less mindful of others around them.

It is sad when you think about it, people used to warn their kids to be quiet and think of others before doing something invasive.

Luckily, when you drink enough, there is not a thing in the world that can bother you. Cheers :cheers:

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I would pick a fight with the guy, tbh you were extremely understanding of him.

I get it it is a camping site but I am sure there are other spots where he can set his grill and not bother his neighbors.

It is just rude and not acceptable behavior imo. When I go camping, I try my best not to bother anyone else because people drive all that way to relax and enjoy the outdoors not smoke some prick's grill smoke.
You have to be careful as some people fight back. Right I'm off to light my BBQ.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You have to be careful as some people fight back. Right I'm off to light my BBQ.
It's what you get when you let the townies out into the countryside they complain about everything from smells to mud and shite and obviously smoke too (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For some reason, people are becoming less and less mindful of others around them.

It is sad when you think about it, people used to warn their kids to be quiet and think of others before doing something invasive.

Luckily, when you drink enough, there is not a thing in the world that can bother you. Cheers :cheers:

I agree , we should be far more tolerant of those that love the outside way of life with BBQs and camp fires ;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To answer the original question.." Am I right to be annoyed"

I would say.. can we actually control how "annoyed" we are.. ?

and to be frank.. yes you have every right, and no one has the right to say you can't be annoyed.. next thing you know the Annoy Police will be at your door..

it's an emotion we feel when irritated.. and smoke blowing into a van would annoy me..

I enjoy a BBQ but would always be mindful of others and where the smoke was going and try not to "annoy" anyone..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Wait till the wind is in their direction...

Get out your barbie and chuck on a couple of mackerel ..... :sicker:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back