Always buy German they told me.. (4 Viewers)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Its really really odd..
But we love the van although we have named it Christine after the cult 80s film...

You shouldn't need to fix her then, just park it up and it will self fix :)
Hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Because you didn't have a choice as it came on the van you wanted(y) and now you have your fingers crossed that it keeps working.

Martin

I know, I look at it this way, its worked fine for over 13 years so the build quality must be decent.
Motorhomes are complex machines, there are always things that will go wrong. I think on the OP's van at least he has the satisfaction that its aluminium inside and out and he will not get any problem with damp.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
There are a few things on modern vans that I don't think are needed and do seem to give problems, powered front blinds, electric locking doors to name but two.

Martin
That’s the only good thing about our HYMER PIG
(y)
Those Remis things are the work of the devil, just thinking about them makes me mad (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry to hear of your problems Paul but unfortunately there are Friday vans , perhaps best to get sorted and trade in , sad though it is :(
We thank our lucky stars that our Hymer has been perfect, fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Very happy with our Auto-Sleepers. Just a few minor niggles, none of which were the fault of A-S.

Blast, that’s gone and done it! Everything will go wrong now I’ve said that :LOL:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'd agree the grass isn't always greener. Is any van free of problems? Just try looking positive as hard as it seems.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Should have bought that S790 Paul @haganap. Despite David's @DavidG58 best efforts to deter us, we're really pleased with our S800 and we do put a lot of Davids woes down to operator error :LOL:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Buying a motorhome is a bit like having building work done at home, you have to allow an extra 10% of money for the problems you’re going to get.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi Paul ,firstly sorry hear about Nikkis mum,its always a wrench when you lose your parents.We are on our 2nd N&B ,first one was an 88F and now we have an 88EK both of which had snagging problems which have all been rectified, the bottom line is that motorhomes are now so complex that it is inevitable that there will be problems of on thing or another. But i do believe that the N&B build quality is as good as you can get in a motorhome. Im sure that when your things get sorted you will have a great motorhome.
Best wishes to you , Nikki and your families.
Brian & Jo

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you drove around in a semi detached house of the same value what do you reckon would fall off/break!(n) Although you have my sympathies Paul, both for Nikki’s mum, and your van, which does seem to have had an overload of shitness, get everything fixed at an extortionate cost and you should end up with a good van! If not move next door to @DavidG58 and compare woisms!!:(:eek::rolleyes:(y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Nikki and Paul, sorry to hear of your troubles with the van. We were extraordinarily lucky with ours (touching my wooden head as I speak...) which is why we are in no hurry to change it, notwithstanding the constant browsing of Internet for vans we think would suit us better!

Hope when you get the van fixed you can have years of trouble free 'fun', and in the meantime.... Keeeeeeeeeep Dancin!! (y)

On a different subject, our son is loving his job as a mental health nurse, working with the Gloucester Crisis Team - can you believe it's four years since we had a chat about your job, and you told us to tell him to go for the Mental Health Nursing Degree? Good advice, which he followed, and is now at the start of a career he knows he can do well in. (y)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know am lucky as I was not born with good looks, but having owned nothing but German vans since I sold my Commer Highwayman almost 30 years ago and having lost count of how many German vans that have past through my hands since, I do not recall having any problems other than basic running repairs that I couldn't fix at the side of the road. Ah, the joys of being born lucky instead of good looking.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry about the problems your having Paul.
We have been motorhoming for 13 years and had 6 vans the last 4 brand new 2 which were Auto Sleeper coach built and they were the biggest load of crap the last one at 2 years old had damp in the rear as well as 3 years constantly back to the factory.
We have gone on to a PVC German built and it’s the best van we’ve had, in the first week of ownership the fridge was faulty and at 3 weeks of ownership the dealer fitted a new fridge, with no other faults at all.
We have now had the Globecar 17 months and it’s absolutely great, we’ve had remarks would we like anything better than a PVC, been there and done that, it’s also been called a tin box but we just love it and wouldn’t touch a leaky coach built ever again.

John.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I know am lucky as I was not born with good looks, but having owned nothing but German vans since I sold my Commer Highwayman almost 30 years ago and having lost count of how many German vans that have past through my hands since, I do not recall having any problems other than basic running repairs that I couldn't fix at the side of the road. Ah, the joys of being born lucky instead of good looking.

nothing to do with luck, it's the fact that all your German vans were built in the 1990.s, as simple as that.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm risking saying this but my auto trail since I've had it haven't been much trouble. The last hab check was clear but I would like a smaller van conversion. Don't want to exchange in case I get a whole lot of trouble we have had a few vans in the past which was a lot of trouble

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Paul, I am so sorry your much needed holiday has been blighted by all these van problems. I dispaire with motorhomes sometimes.

As you know we are about to follow you in making the next van 'The Van' and spending, for us, a huge amount of moneh, but your experiences are putting me off. May be we will save our money and buy another old(ish) one.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi paul... sorry to read about the problems... and Nikkis mum...

Ive long been of the opinion that most newer motorhomes certainly at what is considered the budget end of the market , like my chausson are increasinghy been built to look good , be lightweight and have over complicated electrics... result is half the materials are barley fit for purpose , and cant be repaired effectively... its hard to relpace a screw thats failed in a cardboard egg box like board. Or get a solid fixing into foam :LOL:. And no one seems to (dealers included) understand the power supply systems..
Ive found the quality of finish poor with countless faults ...if id been relying on the dealer to sort them in never have had the van in the first year:( and on the one occosion i let them have it i could have done better myself than their efforts..
Safe to say i wouldnt be motorhoming if i couldnt look after the van myself...problem is as i get older im less enthusiastic about having all that work:D..
Anyways hope you enjoy your travells... hopefully most problems sorted...
O and hows the running going..?

Andy.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
O and hows the running going..?

Andy.

Cheers Andy...
Not bad..I'm up to 94 marathons with 6 in 8 weeks to get me to 100 starting in two weeks after the crap ive ate and drank this Holliday is going to be tough...have an iron man planned for next June and a boxing match to fit in somewhere inbetween !!! Hope your plodding along.

@Armytwowheels .
Don't let my experience put you ofc Sandra...that vanous.looks nice... it's not a problem for the likes of us as Colin and I Have the knowledge to fix these things and the finance (Just)

What and who I feel sorry for are the folk who invest everything chasing a dream and getting a nightmare..those that don't know what tools do what... How this industry has never been on watchdog or similar is beyond me...
This chap had the right idea..build it yourself
20180921_090907.jpg

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm up to 94 marathons with 6 in 8 weeks to get me to 100 starting in two weeks after the crap ive ate and drank this Holliday is going to be tough...have an iron man planned for next June and a boxing match to fit in somewhere inbetween !!!

yea plodding along ok thanks Paul..

:Eeek:.. I hope the body stays good for all that.. it sounds an extremely tough schedule..
best wishes for it all..
Andy

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As you know we are about to follow you in making the next van 'The Van' and spending, for us, a huge amount of moneh, but your experiences are putting me off. May be we will save our money and buy another old(ish) one.
We bought our Hobby when it was ten years old and haven't had a thing go wrong other than a fridge jet (Dometic). The mot examiner says its like new underneath (Fiat) with no worries.
I do wonder at some of the new van complaints, is it because their thrown together, Stevie Wonder is doing the PDI? What the hells going on?

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Paul,very sorry to hear about Nikki's Mum,are thoughts are with you all.
I think in terms of your Van choices, its time to build your own, you have the "knowledge" go on it might look as nice as that one you posted a pic of.:LOL:(y)

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
Well having read all the comments ,some are very good ,but if I was you I'd get on with sorting out your problems yourself sod the dealer unless you get it done properly for free ,then you will have more faith in all the equipment and running gear ,but whatever you do good luck and if I can help with anything let me know .your best welsh mate from afar ,I can't remember what you look like anymore .stu

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Our last trip of around 7 weeks culminating in a visit to the Lincoln Show:

Set off with duff fridge (waiting for parts) (still waiting)
Drove from Lichfield to Newark with trailer handbrake on (only the stub axles, wheels, and tyres survived)
New 180Ah leisure battery failed during our stay off EHU at Newark (supplied new in February by dealer from whom we bought the van. Turns out to be a no-known-make generic thingy.)
Small chip in windscreen as we left Newark for Norfolk and East coast
Touring Norfolk another chip this time on the bottom edge of the screen that immediately turned into an 8" vertical crack
Had to leave Hunstanton and return home two weeks early because my Mother was taken into hospital. No Lincoln for me.
The trip from Hunstanton to Kendal caused the windscreen crack to extend upwards to around 3/4 of the height of the screen.

On the upside no base vehicle faults - it behaved perfectly - and no water ingress. And the reason for my Mothers hospital visit isn't serious.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Yes but most of the things that go wrong are the after fits that people add after buying, expensive levelling systems with a multitude of wires, control boxes and paraphernalia to name but one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back