Always buy German they told me.. (3 Viewers)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Was your Tiffin Allegro a German van?

JJ :cool:

I forgot that one, and the Rockwood Beachwood, oh, also the Dodge Ram and fifth wheel, although I do believe Dodge which is owned by Chrysler, is owned by Mercedes now. Ooops, I also forgot the Citroen Relay PVC.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do wonder at some of the new van complaints, is it because their thrown together, Stevie Wonder is doing the PDI? What the hells going on?
... would have been useful if ours HAD been PDI'd by somebody, neither of the dealers who'd had it had done one ... even Stevie Wonder would have found some daft things I'm sure!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have gone on to a PVC German built and it’s the best van we’ve had, in the first week of ownership the fridge was faulty and at 3 weeks of ownership the dealer fitted a new fridge, with no other faults at all.
What was the problem with the fridge? Also which dealer changed it for you? We're not overly happy with ours and are now wondering if there's a problem with it ...

We have now had the Globecar 17 months and it’s absolutely great, we’ve had remarks would we like anything better than a PVC, been there and done that, it’s also been called a tin box but we just love it and wouldn’t touch a leaky coach built ever again.
Similar here(y) ... despite the issues we had with our previous one and this one, the thought of ever going back to a coachbuilt fills me with dread! :eek:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
What was the problem with the fridge? Also which dealer changed it for you? We're not overly happy with ours and are now wondering if there's a problem with it ...

Similar here(y) ... despite the issues we had with our previous one and this one, the thought of ever going back to a coachbuilt fills me with dread! :eek:

The problem with the fridge Mel was it cycled frosted and defrosted,
SMC fitted us a new one at three weeks into ownership.
We find now that we use the fridge on five setting and once completely frozen we turn it down to Four on night setting and this works fine for us.

John.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Back to the title of the thread, an interesting quote from a conversation on a German "liner forum" so it's not just us noticing the decline.

Martin

That's clear, but what has become of the good quality from Germany. The big companies just want to make profit ok. But the "little" herb around the corner. I think it's very sad what has become of made in Germany.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The problem with the fridge Mel was it cycled frosted and defrosted,
SMC fitted us a new one at three weeks into ownership.
We find now that we use the fridge on five setting and once completely frozen we turn it down to Four on night setting and this works fine for us.

John.
Hmmmm ... do you know how they got hold of a new fridge for you John? I'm beginning to smell a rat ... I know for a fact that they used to 'cannibalise' unsold new vehicles to keep customers happy ... and our fridge is doing just what yours did ...! :(

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hmmmm ... do you know how they got hold of a new fridge for you John? I'm beginning to smell a rat ... I know for a fact that they used to 'cannibalise' unsold new vehicles to keep customers happy ... and our fridge is doing just what yours did ...! :(

Surely not, if that is the case then its despicable behaviour to sell the van knowing what has been done.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Mel I spoke with Thetford first and then SMC, and Thetford gave the go ahead and sent a new fridge to SMC.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Surely not, if that is the case then its despicable behaviour to sell the van knowing what has been done.
Well it appears from what John has said that the rat I was smelling wasn't the one I thought it was ... it was my dog farting! :D

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Also Mel Thetford had The product code off me for the old fridge which I can’t remember and they said that they would have it back to test in their workshop. mine was one of the first compressor fridges with the open backed freezer our new one is the same but the mark 2 as a sealed freezer compartment.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes maybe cannibalisation isn't so widespread after all thank heavens.:LOL:
I know it happened, I was told so by one of the chaps there who was dealing with my warranty stuff so 'from the horses mouth' (or one of the Shetland pony's I suppose!), it came to light when we'd gone for some stuff for our previous FamilyScout and found they'd not done it all due to lack of spares, I asked if they could take them off another vehicle and use our replacements for those when they were available and was told they used to do that but were told not to do it anymore by Globecar - other dealers do it too so it's not just at one company that this happens.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Also Mel Thetford had The product code off me for the old fridge which I can’t remember and they said that they would have it back to test in their workshop. mine was one of the first compressor fridges with the open backed freezer our new one is the same but the mark 2 as a sealed freezer compartment.

John.
That's interesting as we have the open backed one, along with the gap at the front of the bottom of the freezer door which is also uninsulated ... madness. We're gonna see if we can improve the insulation for the freezer and its door to see if it helps.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That's interesting as we have the open backed one, along with the gap at the front of the bottom of the freezer door which is also uninsulated ... madness. We're gonna see if we can improve the insulation for the freezer and its door to see if it helps.

You shouldn't be having to p1s-, sorry mess about doing that to a brand new fridge/ Van combination .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
is your date of joining from when you first look at the forum or from when you start to pay for membership?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You shouldn't be having to p1s-, sorry mess about doing that to a brand new fridge/ Van combination .
Totally agree ... but having had the freezer food part-defrost a few times for no apparent reason we don't want to risk food poisoning and more importantly ... my ice-cream melted! :cry:

If we can sort out where we are going wrong with it (if we are) and/or improve how well it works then all will be good, otherwise we'll have to see about getting it checked to see if it is faulty.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
is your date of joining from when you first look at the forum or from when you start to pay for membership?
Usually from the first day you sign up as a 'freebie' member, or if you pay for members, immediately, from then. I joined the forum originally when it was a free forum over 10 years ago but eventually Jim managed to 'extract' a life-time membership fee from me. :D

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Looking on the German forums they have the same gripes as we have here
Late delivery, difficulty getting warranty work done, dealers not returning calls etc
We have a German van. And would definitely buy the same make again they are good but not perfect

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The more I read threads like this the more I want to keep our N+B Arto(2003) with its 2.8Jtd engine, with still under 50,000 miles.

Even Carthago owners have been complaining. I have not researched Phoenix and Morelo, but they seem not to have our size(7-8m)

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel I spoke with Thetford first and then SMC, and Thetford gave the go ahead and sent a new fridge to SMC.

John.
John, do you know what number you rang for Thetford?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back