ALDI with Garmin (4 Viewers)

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
When I first started on mine (and had trouble) Express had just updated to v 4.0.13.0. It is now 4.0.16.0 :)

I was the same and it was then updated to 4.0.15 which worked I see with your post its been updated again!

I have to say that I sure glad I bought it as before I was just using my tablet and now prefer the garmin. :)

If anyone is interested I'm using a long extention which I was using with the tablet as it has the same ball attachment it works with the garmin and works great jn that the sat nav is far forward to the radio so not to block your view, I'll link it below

The one in the picture has a "clamp" which you can take off and just use the ball attachment!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. The program updated the device just as I had expected it should have when I first tried a week ago. It also took about half an hour for me.
Looks like Garmin have fixed the bug(s).

& how much is a week of your time worth ? :)

This is all very odd.. Baffled as to why some folk could simply plug in and get the job done ( before Garmin fixed the issue ) and others could not.. Very very strange indeed !
The mix of systems is that the newer ones have routes that always take you past an Aldi .:LOL:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well, as per my other post earlier today went in for a sandwich and came out with a sat nav so still on sale in some stores.
The attached SD card compatibility printout might be of use \ interest to you?

I've also got a soft copy (pdf) of the User Manual but too big to attach to a thread. Anybody know if it can be uploaded into Resources section and, if so, how? Size is 3.81Mb

Attachments

• What is the largest size Secure Digital (SD) card that an automotive device can accept_.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 39

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well, as per my other post earlier today went in for a sandwich and came out with a sat nav so still on sale in some stores.
The attached SD card compatibility printout might be of use \ interest to you?

I've also got a soft copy (pdf) of the User Manual but too big to attach to a thread. Anybody know if it can be uploaded into Resources section and, if so, how? Size is 3.81Mb
No need to load the manual to the Resources section. It is available for download on the Garmin web site Here.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It could be that there was a mix of software versions within the batch of devices sold or maybe a problem with certain operating systems. It may also have been server overload creating an error condition which wasn't recognised as cleared when it was fixed.
I replied to Garmin when I had sorted my machine out and asked that they provide details of the reason but I don't suppose they will.
I've just had a reply from Garmin in which they confirm the problems were with their server:
Thank you for emailing Garmin Europe.

The issue was a communication issue with the latest version of Garmin Express and the Camper 760's. I can assure you there was no error your end, it was our server.

I trust the issue is now resolved. If this is not the case then please don't hesitate to contact me so I can help you further.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Well it's going back tomorrow. On the way back from Peterborough it kept losing the satellites on the M62 & M6 & as soon as we turned off the A road the garbage Garmin had a fit. Told me to turn off & then turn right at a no right turn ( been like that for years), then kept telling me to turn down roads that I know are not suitable for the van. Good job I knew the roads & where I was going, can't trust it now, glad I've still got the TomTom Via (TomTom have offered 12 months map upgrade for £29.95.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If anyone wanted one of the Camper sat navs and think they might have missed out then it may be worth checking with your local Aldi.
We were in the branch in Middlesbrough where we bought ours this morning and noticed that they still had stock.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Well it's going back tomorrow. On the way back from Peterborough it kept losing the satellites on the M62 & M6 & as soon as we turned off the A road the garbage Garmin had a fit. Told me to turn off & then turn right at a no right turn ( been like that for years), then kept telling me to turn down roads that I know are not suitable for the van. Good job I knew the roads & where I was going, can't trust it now, glad I've still got the TomTom Via (TomTom have offered 12 months map upgrade for £29.95.

Well, I got the the TomTom Via upgraded to Camper version (with 12 months map upgrades).
Works great, so far, not tried to take me down any totally unsuitable roads - yet!

Reactions: GJH

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Latest on the Aldi/Garmin sat nav.

Just took it back for a refund, had some very interesting routes planned by it. Most confused by the routes chosen when adding via points. Example going to Lenches Lakes, either via M4-M50 or M4-M5. IF going the later route then a46 on to a44. If going via m50 would expect to go via pershore onto the a44. Alas the garmin preferred route is m4-m5-a46-a44 not a bad choice until you try and push it to go via m50 and Pershore. The nav flatly refuses to route from Pershore to Lenches Lakes adding a 100m to the trip by retracing part of the route..

Ok you may think that the route isn't suitable for the set profile. When planning the return journey it was quite happy to go through Pershore.

Pity really quite liked the clear instructions and traffic, however wasn't 5 times better than a £40 Chinese version

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No comment other than to say mine has behaved perfectly in every way possible including adding some fairly weird via's I needed to go to..

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No comment other than to say mine has behaved perfectly in every way possible including adding some fairly weird via's I needed to go to..
Likewise for ours and also transferring from BaseCamp.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
As said quite surprised really. Was also mystified why Garmin support stopped responding to email on the subject of strange route selections.

Glad yours works ok maybe a batching issue as some had problems with the updates and others didn't.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
too many anomalies for me, i brought this for a bigger screen as i already have the tomtom camper satnav which i have been using for the last year or so with no issues but a small screen, it seems to route quite differently to the tomtom and already been down a couple of tight roads in UK. i think i will take the garmin back as quite a bit of money even though on offer. I have a snooper as well but only used this once as dont like the interface, should of stuck with what I know.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't believe you buy a sat nav then have to have a PC to make it work , you can get a 7 inch tablet with here maps for all the world that regularly updates its self anytime it is on wifi for about half of what these things cost.
Makes no sense to me.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know someone's going to come up with pois now, but there is more pois than you can shake a stick at on "here maps"

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can't believe you buy a sat nav then have to have a PC to make it work , you can get a 7 inch tablet with here maps for all the world that regularly updates its self anytime it is on wifi for about half of what these things cost.
Makes no sense to me.
I think it's horses for courses for individuals.
Wouldn't have \ use as tablet if I got one for free (and I have been offered one) as I just don't like them. Some family members do have so I've tried a couple.
One of the reasons I use Garmin is their route planning software on a 55" screen. It's great!:)
I do have Here maps on my phone and use when walking so wouldn't knock them.
A bit like pc vs mac, I guess.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
i can't fault Aldi's return policy though, took it back today with no fuss.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Aldi accept returns within 60 days of purchase. Apparently you can return stuff if you don't like it.

The website t&cs mention resolving the issues with the OEM as a first step. Took mine back all boxed up in original packing having had email ignored by garmin. Explained it didn't route as expected, garmin weren't talking to me can I have my money back please.

Didn't look happy but! Excellent approach to customer dissatisfaction.

(Post post edit to correct grammar)

Last edited:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Aldi accept returns within 60 days of purchase. Apparently you can return stuff if you don't like it.

The website t&cs mention resolving the issues with the OEM as a first step. Took mine back all boxed up in original packing having had email ignored by garmin. Explained it didn't route as expected, garmin weren't talking to me can I have my money back please.

Didn't look happy but! Excellent approach to customer dissatisfaction.

(Post post edit to correct grammar)
Did the same, just said the routing was awful with no help from Garmin, refund on the spot. :)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
How come some report issues with routing whilst others don't? Is this relative to the software/map versions installed and in use at the time? Perhaps routing preferences and vehicle dimension settings? Redirection by the the traffic feature? Bizarre...

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
The only thing that bugs me about the Garmin is that unlike TomTom, there doesn't seem to be a facility to view the route in advance so it can be changed if required, e.g. to change from M25/M3/M27 to A27/M27 E. Sussex to home. With TomTom it shows instructions as text or map and parts can be avoided.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back