LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having real bother updateing the maps. Turned off anti-virus, downloaded Garmin Express and it started doing downloads. It stops downloading about halfway through (tried a couple of times and it stops at same place). No help from Garmin till after the holidays now. How can they not get the updates to work, was there a lack of testing at Garmin ?
[QUOTE="GJH, post: then uninstall and reinstall Express. Seems to be working now though.
(y) Been at mine on and off since this am. Did get as far as 1hr 25 mins at one stage.:cautious:
Tried your solution Graham and turned off A/V now seems to be downloading ok ???????? :unsure:
2hrs. 45 mins left[/QUOTE]
If you are still having problems, fellas, I've documented how I managed it in This Thread.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Well I decided to try my local Aldi thought it was a long shot but I got one :) The latest version of garmin express (4.0.13 something like that) doesn't want to diplay on my laptop for some reason? The program is open but cant see it! So I tried an earlier version (3.29 something like that) and that worked but then after downloading 85% of the map it crashes :( So just going to leave it for the weekend as I'm heading up north :) The sat nav does have 2014 maps pre installed on it so I'll still be able to try it out this weekend ;)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Well managed to find an Aldi with stock in cardiff. Best way to find one appears to be ringing Aldi 0800 34 0800 and ask if they have stock at specific stores, their response via email is also good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had problems downloading map updates, not enough memory, kept stopping with 1 hour 25 mins to go so I put in an SDCard. Fine now, put POI CC CL's on. Will be trying it out next week.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Aldi in Kendal had at least half a dozen on show in a glass case today if anyone is still wanting one.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Had problems downloading map updates, not enough memory, kept stopping with 1 hour 25 mins to go so I put in an SDCard. Fine now, put POI CC CL's on. Will be trying it out next week.

Same problem we had with ours, will get an SD card next week for it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mine kept stopping at that point in Express even with a 16GB MicroSD card installed. Only fixed using Basecamp as per other posts.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
OK, so how do I get it to recognise an SD card?
It did the update OK but it keeps reminding me that the "memory is 90% full" & I need to "purchase an SD card" despite the fact that I have installed one.
I have checked the card with various other devices with no problems.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
OK, so how do I get it to recognise an SD card?
It did the update OK but it keeps reminding me that the "memory is 90% full" & I need to "purchase an SD card" despite the fact that I have installed one.
I have checked the card with various other devices with no problems.
That message had me confused until I realised that the text was badly written. The software only checks the on board memory and (for the purposes of that message) ignores the fact that a MicroSD card is installed.
It seems as there may be some sort of software fault which doesn't clear the fact that an error condition (download failure or full on board memory for example) has occurred so the messages still display.

EDIT - Using Basecamp installed the maps on the MicroSD card.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
That message had me confused until I realised that the text was badly written. The software only checks the on board memory and (for the purposes of that message) ignores the fact that a MicroSD card is installed.
It seems as there may be some sort of software fault which doesn't clear the fact that an error condition (download failure or full on board memory for example) has occurred so the messages still display.

EDIT - Using Basecamp installed the maps on the MicroSD card.
Thanks for the reply but it means nothing to me as a ludite.
I put the card in now what? Never had these problems with totom's. Yes my drive was slow & clunky but it worked. I'd not looking forward to trying to put POI's on this thing.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Have found out that the latest maps version is 2015.40, so if you have that on your Sat Nav your sorted !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for the reply but it means nothing to me as a ludite.
I put the card in now what? Never had these problems with totom's. Yes my drive was slow & clunky but it worked. I'd not looking forward to trying to put POI's on this thing.
Sorry for the delay in replying, I was offline after my last post. Having inserted the MicroSD card, download the maps to the PC using Express then use Basecamp to transfer them to the unit as per my previous post Broken Link Removed.
POIs are loaded using the POILoader program. Very straightforward and explained on the Garmin web site. Basically you put all the POI sets (in any of the several Garmin formats) in a single folder, point the program at the folder and let it do the work.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had my Dezl 560 truck SatNav for almost two years now (basically the same as a 760 but it's a bit smaller). I have the latest maps on it - downloaded a couple of weeks ago - and there is still space in the memory without using an SD card. Not sure why others are finding 'out of memory' problems.
Updating the maps does take a while (we are on a sub 3 mbps internet connection) so I normally leave it to update overnight.
I have had problems with Express hanging a couple of times but not for a year now. Normally this required uninstalling Express completely including the 'library>application support' files (sorry this is for a Mac - don't know what the equivalent would be on a PC) then reinstalling. Note: if you are a Mac user, Express requires a later OS than 10.6 Mountain Lion.

Final thought - the 560 (and presumably the 760) has a POI file limit of 36 (I think - or possibly 32). So if you want to install more POI files than that, you will have to amalgamate some. They can be loaded quite satisfactorily with POI Loader.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have had my Dezl 560 truck SatNav for almost two years now (basically the same as a 760 but it's a bit smaller). I have the latest maps on it - downloaded a couple of weeks ago - and there is still space in the memory without using an SD card. Not sure why others are finding 'out of memory' problems.
There appears to be some sort of glitch in the software calculating the amount of memory available. as posted last night (post #129 above). As it happened I had a MicroSD card available so put that in just in case. Using Basecamp might well have worked without it.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Just switched mine on this morning and only the driver warning screen appeared i.e. no other flash screen. It cleared after approx 15 seconds without having to "agree".

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There appears to be some sort of glitch in the software calculating the amount of memory available. as posted last night (post #129 above). As it happened I had a MicroSD card available so put that in just in case. Using Basecamp might well have worked without it.
On further investigation that is not the case.
I removed the MicroSD card and went into Basecamp where it told me there was insufficient room to install the latest maps. The reason was that 2014 maps were already installed (on the unit when purchased).
For some reason it is not possible to over-write the 2014 maps with the 2015 maps on my unit.
If I have time I will document my full experience and send it to Garmin for their use in fixing their software.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
On further investigation that is not the case.
I removed the MicroSD card and went into Basecamp where it told me there was insufficient room to install the latest maps. The reason was that 2014 maps were already installed (on the unit when purchased).
For some reason it is not possible to over-write the 2014 maps with the 2015 maps on my unit.
If I have time I will document my full experience and send it to Garmin for their use in fixing their software.

I'd agree that the Garmin does not seem to want to over-write the old maps. I wonder if they are in some form of "protected" memory ?

Surely Garmin must be aware that an expansion memory card is needed ? You'd think they would either tell you that or bundle it from the off.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'd agree that the Garmin does not seem to want to over-write the old maps. I wonder if they are in some form of "protected" memory ?

Surely Garmin must be aware that an expansion memory card is needed ? You'd think they would either tell you that or bundle it from the off.
I think it's some sort of software glitch with some of the Camper 760 units which is preventing the over-write as some people have been able to update without using a memory card.
The map update on my 5 year old nuvi 1300 (which No 2 son now uses) went without a hitch using Express a week and a half ago. I can't remember if it has a memory card in it (and can't check as he isn't here) but I've never had similar problems updating maps on it since buying it.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As I have had mine for 2 years, I have had to run several map updates (full Europe). Each time Express has overwritten the previous map installation and there is only ever one map set on the Garmin.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not sure I follow although I only get one nag now when I switch on which is not too bad as before there were 3.

No I meant Use the Sat "nag" whilst driving!!! (Sorry trying to be "Funny" and Failing Badly!!)

Pete

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
zzzzac said:
The other nags wont though i.e. warnings about using device whilst driving etc.

The one about using the thing while moving can be turned off in the settings :)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The one about using the thing while moving can be turned off in the settings :)
I only get one now which it appears cannot be turned off. Better than three though so can't complain.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
For those of you who are using BaseCamp one thing you'll probably need to watch is when you update the map software using Garmin Express it downloads the new map version into a different folder and doesn't overwrite \ deleted the previous version\s. You need to do this manually.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back