Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How please?

Had to think for a bit...
Try altering things when going along.. You will be told you cannot do it .. but offered the poss. of turning that off .. That should work :)

Reactions: GJH

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Having found one and spent half of the day trying to update the maps am a bit miffed (put mildly) that all I get is a message to say an error has occurred during update, what error?? And why??

Guess I'll have to wait to speak to support, unless of course someone has already done so and has an answer?

Would appreciate any advice, tried with & without sd card ditto different PCs, also tried hard reset

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sorry for the delay in replying, I was offline after my last post. Having inserted the MicroSD card, download the maps to the PC using Express then use Basecamp to transfer them to the unit as per my previous post Broken Link Removed.
POIs are loaded using the POILoader program. Very straightforward and explained on the Garmin web site. Basically you put all the POI sets (in any of the several Garmin formats) in a single folder, point the program at the folder and let it do the work.

That's easy for you to say.
It updated OK, at the third attempt, without the need for an SD card but now gives a warning that the memory is 90% full. I inserted a card but it doesn't seem to recognise the fact. As far as POI's are concerned, where do I start, TomTom is slow & clunky but this thing is toooo complicated for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I get the "nag" Bit:- (Female Voice) "Turn around when possible".? Obviously I have done something wrong? (Again!!!!):D:D:D:D

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's easy for you to say.
It updated OK, at the third attempt, without the need for an SD card but now gives a warning that the memory is 90% full. I inserted a card but it doesn't seem to recognise the fact. As far as POI's are concerned, where do I start, TomTom is slow & clunky but this thing is toooo complicated for me.
See http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I loaded a POI file into my Garmin recently, the campercontact list, and could I find them on the device afterwards! Took a bit of Googling to discover they were listed under "extras". Different model Garmin to the one discussed here but probably similar.

I also had problems when I first got it updating the maps as it wouldn't over-write the old file - but it does now. There has obviously been a change introduced during one of the periodic updates to the device's operating system.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I think it's some sort of software glitch with some of the Camper 760 units which is preventing the over-write as some people have been able to update without using a memory card.
The map update on my 5 year old nuvi 1300 (which No 2 son now uses) went without a hitch using Express a week and a half ago. I can't remember if it has a memory card in it (and can't check as he isn't here) but I've never had similar problems updating maps on it since buying it.
Yip, not only without a SD card but within an hour also without any problems. OK, download speeds can account for update time but memory? V strange.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Used it today to take me from Sherborne to Brixton and back, in my fiat panda, worked beautifully but I think I am being a muppet as I couldn't see how to do "via" as I wanted to come back via Portsmouth direction to avoid the A303, I just entered Portsmouth and then knew the way. Any ideas how to do it please?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it's like my Garmin, having punched in your destination go back to the home screen and select a new destination and it should ask if you want this to be a new destination or a via.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Used it today to take me from Sherborne to Brixton and back, in my fiat panda, worked beautifully but I think I am being a muppet as I couldn't see how to do "via" as I wanted to come back via Portsmouth direction to avoid the A303, I just entered Portsmouth and then knew the way. Any ideas how to do it please?

On mine (different model) you use Trip Planner.
From memory
Enter Start Location
+ to enter additional waypoints
Done when finished

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Well changed the 760 at Aldi and have the same issues. Failure to update the maps and routes through narrow roads rather than larger main routes. However does tell you that it's going to be narrow.

Looking forward to a conversation with Garmin support and very thankful for the Aldi 60 day returns policy if still having issues.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
No, rather think I'll be very interested in getting my hard earned back.

Now following script from Garmin, will post outcome when had chance to try it etc.

Cheers

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had an acknowledgement reply from Garmin yesterday:
Thank you for emailing Garmin Europe.

We have recently received several contacts where map updates for the Camper 760 are failing with the message "There was an error installing the update." This issue is currently being investigated and we hope to get it resolved shortly.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I had an acknowledgement reply from Garmin yesterday:
Hopefully by the time we get back from our travels to Morocco and get my hands on the unit my daughter bought for me Garmin may have fixed the issue.
"We have had several contacts" yeah right - their help desk has obviously been flooded with complaints!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hopefully by the time we get back from our travels to Morocco and get my hands on the unit my daughter bought for me Garmin may have fixed the issue.
"We have had several contacts" yeah right - their help desk has obviously been flooded with complaints!
Obviously so. Indeed, in my e-mail to them I said
As you are probably aware, several people bought the Camper 760, as I did, as a result of the Aldi offer. You are probably also aware that several people have had problems similar to those I experienced and some haven't and will not be surprised to hear that they have been discussed on motorhome forums (Motorhome Fun is the one I use).
:)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
After installing a 16GB cat 10 memory card the unit successfully updated the maps to the latest version in under 30 mins (mind we have a fast broadband). Did not have to disable AVG anti-virus at all.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
After installing a 16GB cat 10 memory card the unit successfully updated the maps to the latest version in under 30 mins (mind we have a fast broadband). Did not have to disable AVG anti-virus at all.
Did you have to use Basecamp as I did or did Express behave itself?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Some News

Followed the following advice from Garmin and the sat nav is now up to date.

Good luck.

If you receive an error message while using the Garmin Express application, please try the following solutions in the order they are presented below.

Your computer must have the below requirements in order for Express to work:

• Windows Vista SP2 or newer, Microsoft .NET 4.5(included)
  • 1024 x 768 display, USB port and 1 GB RAM
  • High speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)
  • May require up to 13 GB free disk space
Make sure the software of the Garmin device is up to date.

For a step by step guide to assist you with this, please click the link below:

http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/customer-care/Updating_device_software_in_Express.pdf

With the Express program itself, it is very important to use the latest version of the application. First, we suggest to completely uninstall express. You can uninstall this by following the steps below:

1. Click Start.
  2. Click Control Panel (Windows 8 users will need to access the Control Panel from the Apps menu).
  3. Click Add & Remove Programs or Programs in Features for Windows Vista/7 users.
  4. Click on Garmin express
  5. Click on Remove or uninstall.

You can then reinstall express to ensure you are using the latest version by following the steps below:

1. Click http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/B/GarminExpressInstaller.exe
  2. Click Run
  3. Accept the terms and conditions and click Install
  4. Click Launch
I would recommend removing the device, completely closing the application and then reopening it and re-associating the device. This procedure can fix a variety of issues. I have included information below on how to complete that process:

1. Open Garmin Express.
  2. Click Tools
  3. Click Remove Device
  4. Disconnect the device from the computer.
  5. Close the Express window.
Now that the device has been removed, we will need to close the application.

1. Right click the Garmin Express icon in the system tray (lower right hand corner, next to the clock on your computer).
  2. Click Exit.
  3. On your keyboard, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
  4. Click Start Task Manager (Windows XP users can skip this step)
  5. Click Processes.
  6. Right click ‘Garmin.Cartography.MapUpdate.CoreService.exe’.
  7. Click End Process.
  8. Close the Task Manager.
  9. Click the Windows Start icon.
  10. Click Programs/All Programs.
  11. Click Garmin.
  12. Click Garmin Express.
The application will now launch, reconnect your Garmin device to the computer and follow the on screen prompts to associate the device to Express.

You should now be able use Garmin Express without any issues occurring.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Straight thro Express, direct from website to Sat Nav
Following Geordies' posts I decided to see what Express would do on my machine. I removed the MicroSD card (which is where Basecamp had installed the maps) before I started. The program updated the device just as I had expected it should have when I first tried a week ago. It also took about half an hour for me.
Looks like Garmin have fixed the bug(s).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Some News

Followed the following advice from Garmin and the sat nav is now up to date.

Good luck.

If you receive an error message while using the Garmin Express application, please try the following solutions in the order they are presented below.

Your computer must have the below requirements in order for Express to work:

• Windows Vista SP2 or newer, Microsoft .NET 4.5(included)
  • 1024 x 768 display, USB port and 1 GB RAM
  • High speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)
  • May require up to 13 GB free disk space
Make sure the software of the Garmin device is up to date.

For a step by step guide to assist you with this, please click the link below:

http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/customer-care/Updating_device_software_in_Express.pdf

With the Express program itself, it is very important to use the latest version of the application. First, we suggest to completely uninstall express. You can uninstall this by following the steps below:

1. Click Start.
  2. Click Control Panel (Windows 8 users will need to access the Control Panel from the Apps menu).
  3. Click Add & Remove Programs or Programs in Features for Windows Vista/7 users.
  4. Click on Garmin express
  5. Click on Remove or uninstall.

You can then reinstall express to ensure you are using the latest version by following the steps below:

1. Click http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/B/GarminExpressInstaller.exe
  2. Click Run
  3. Accept the terms and conditions and click Install
  4. Click Launch
I would recommend removing the device, completely closing the application and then reopening it and re-associating the device. This procedure can fix a variety of issues. I have included information below on how to complete that process:

1. Open Garmin Express.
  2. Click Tools
  3. Click Remove Device
  4. Disconnect the device from the computer.
  5. Close the Express window.
Now that the device has been removed, we will need to close the application.

1. Right click the Garmin Express icon in the system tray (lower right hand corner, next to the clock on your computer).
  2. Click Exit.
  3. On your keyboard, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
  4. Click Start Task Manager (Windows XP users can skip this step)
  5. Click Processes.
  6. Right click ‘Garmin.Cartography.MapUpdate.CoreService.exe’.
  7. Click End Process.
  8. Close the Task Manager.
  9. Click the Windows Start icon.
  10. Click Programs/All Programs.
  11. Click Garmin.
  12. Click Garmin Express.
The application will now launch, reconnect your Garmin device to the computer and follow the on screen prompts to associate the device to Express.

You should now be able use Garmin Express without any issues occurring.
God am I glad I ditched windows PCs for ipad, instructions there I haven't seen in 5 years , forgot they ever existed, don't think il be getting a garmin, thanks

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Following Geordies' posts I decided to see what Express would do on my machine. I removed the MicroSD card (which is where Basecamp had installed the maps) before I started. The program updated the device just as I had expected it should have when I first tried a week ago. It also took about half an hour for me.
Looks like Garmin have fixed the bug(s).

Yes, but the buggers waited till I had shelled out £10 for an sd card !! Which I probably didn't need after all.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, but the buggers waited till I had shelled out £10 for an sd card !! Which I probably didn't need after all.
As it happens I had bought a MicroSD card at Newark show so used that - but then shelled out 10 quid to replace it and another tenner for a spare :cry: Never mind, they'll come in useful for something :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is all very odd.. Baffled as to why some folk could simply plug in and get the job done ( before Garmin fixed the issue ) and others could not.. Very very strange indeed !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is all very odd.. Baffled as to why some folk could simply plug in and get the job done ( before Garmin fixed the issue ) and others could not.. Very very strange indeed !
It could be that there was a mix of software versions within the batch of devices sold or maybe a problem with certain operating systems. It may also have been server overload creating an error condition which wasn't recognised as cleared when it was fixed.
I replied to Garmin when I had sorted my machine out and asked that they provide details of the reason but I don't suppose they will.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Competence or eh incompe............... :Smile::imoutahere:

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Well finally got mine updated :) I see they've updated the garmin express, I just did it straight to the sat nav!

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back