Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
If your anywhere near Penrith, Aldi have a stack of the Garmin satnavs still available ,I've just been and got one .. But they're not on display you will have to ask.... the TVs had all gone in minutes :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Good heads-up bertiebasset!

Since my TomTom 730 has started misbehaving I'd been on the lookout for a replacement. Trotted off to my local Aldi with low expectations of nabbing one, pleased to find they had a few available.

Now sitting and waiting for 2hrs and 18mins worth of updates to go through...no doubt to lose more of my rapidly disappearing hair!

David

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Did I say loss of hair? Yep, the damned thing had me sitting there while it updated, followed the instructions on screen and it asked me to do it all again - then decided to throw a wobbly with an "error occurred" message.
Thought it must be sorted the first time around, so took it outside and switched it on and put in a random destination only to be greeted with "no map data" message.
Quick google of the problem tells me that if it occurs with this model to contact support.
Waited 30 mins to speak to someone who walked me through a few steps and it still didn't work..."do you have anti-virus enabled?"
Umm, yes...well turn it off and try again.

Seems to updating maps now, but can I see any warning about disabling anti-virus on the start up guide, no.

Guess, I'm extremely stupid and all those who've bought one and gone through the up-date process are a lot smarter than me and knew about this AV business!

Fingers crossed it works

David

Reactions: zac

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Did I say loss of hair? Yep, the damned thing had me sitting there while it updated, followed the instructions on screen and it asked me to do it all again - then decided to throw a wobbly with an "error occurred" message.
Thought it must be sorted the first time around, so took it outside and switched it on and put in a random destination only to be greeted with "no map data" message.Quote.]

Mine did that too, I just swithed the Satnav & computer off, re-started both & updated again.
Worked fine that time.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Didn't switch off my AV to update. Must depend on certain brands of AV maybe.

I had heard their customer support were slow but 30mins is still far better than tomtom's support. They are just shocking and don't seem to give two hoots about their customers.

Luck of the draw I suppose. Glad you got it sorted though.

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
And time to breathe...all sorted now:)

The anti-virus is AVG free edition, must be good it even stops sat-nav updates!

David

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
If your anywhere near Penrith, Aldi have a stack of the Garmin satnavs still available ,I've just been and got one .. But they're not on display you will have to ask.... the TVs had all gone in minutes :)
That's a pity ...none available in my area but Penrith just a bit to far away to nip and get one:crying1:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:) Have read all posts with interest .....Just been out and invested in one at Aldi in Dronfield nr. Sheffield. :D Thanks for the heads up (y)

Now the fun begins ?....................I may be some while :whistle::whistle:
Jude

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just returned from my local Aldi in Tyne and Wear, still had a couple left. About to plug into PC now!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just returned from my local Aldi in Tyne and Wear, still had a couple left. About to plug into PC now!
Hope you have better luck than me. Bought mine in Middlesbrough and been working on it all afternoon. Had to ring Garmin support then uninstall and reinstall Express. Seems to be working now though.

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hope you have better luck than me. Bought mine in Middlesbrough and been working on it all afternoon. Had to ring Garmin support then uninstall and reinstall Express. Seems to be working now though.

Had a bit of a prob, could'nt download express but then discovered I was on Garmin USA page. Now busy downloading maps so fingers crossed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Still had problems (reported to Garmin) but managed to download the maps to the computer so am currently updating the unit from the computer using Basecamp (though it seems stuck at 6%, 53 minutes remaining).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Downloading is only part of it. It then has to install. I leave mine overnight to update itself, it takes hours. Different model but I suspect they are all the same.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Updating using Express continued to fail and I'm awaiting an answer from Garmin. In the meantime, though, the Basecamp update route appears to have worked.
I'm currently backing up the whole lot onto the laptop by file copy rather than rely on Garmin backup routine.
Then I need to sort out my PoIs to add them and complete set-up.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Having real bother updateing the maps. Turned off anti-virus, downloaded Garmin Express and it started doing downloads. It stops downloading about halfway through (tried a couple of times and it stops at same place). No help from Garmin till after the holidays now. How can they not get the updates to work, was there a lack of testing at Garmin ?

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Those having issue's updating I feel your pain!

What I don't understand is why the maps, even if needing an update, are not pre-loaded? It certainly seemed as though mine was "empty"

Good luck to you all:)

David

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Having real bother updateing the maps. Turned off anti-virus, downloaded Garmin Express and it started doing downloads. It stops downloading about halfway through (tried a couple of times and it stops at same place). No help from Garmin till after the holidays now. How can they not get the updates to work, was there a lack of testing at Garmin ?

Just for testing purposes have you tried with an sd card inserted (if you have a spare one that is) or another computer? mine updated using windows 7 with AV still running although i can appreciate everyone's computer is different. It does seem pretty strange that there are no maps on this to start with, even my tomtom camper had maps on although out of date but i could at least use the device without the need to update if i chose too.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
[QUOTE="GJH, post: then uninstall and reinstall Express. Seems to be working now though.[/QUOTE]

(y) Been at mine on and off since this am. Did get as far as 1hr 25 mins at one stage.:cautious:
Tried your solution Graham and turned off A/V now seems to be downloading ok ???????? :unsure:
2hrs. 45 mins left

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Could be an issue with AVG AV as another user had an issue with this software, might help others to remove it before starting the update. Not ideal but at least it will then work until Garmin can sort something out, if they will of course

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bought one in Swindon yesterday, had to ask if they had any sat navs, lady went out back and returned with one.
Updated fine without adding memory.
Today added CCC poi, just fit internal memory, will order SD card.
Not used in anger yet, but looks impressive.
I use Garmin GPS for hiking, so impressed with this make.
Did put route in down to Devon, it did select one road I know is not suitable for MH.
Will continue to play.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not impressed with Express, though it worked fine on the other Garmin I have (which No 2 son now uses) even last week.
I managed to update by downloading the maps to the computer (which also installs Basecamp) then running Basecamp (you have to find the .exe file as it doesn't create an icon) and loading the maps to the device from the computer.
I've now loaded all my POIs and they seem OK.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
[QUOTE="GJH, post: then uninstall and reinstall Express. Seems to be working now though

(y) Been at mine on and off since this am. Did get as far as 1hr 25 mins at one stage.:cautious:[./QUOTE said:
Error message again at 2hrs.25min.....
Will try and ask someone with better brains .:oops::oops:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Used mine for the first time yesterday, Farnham Surrey to Chester Racecourse, worked perfectly including the traffic information.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Only just caught up with this thread, been away ,interested but do I take it if I havnt got a PC they won't work, only got iPad now chucked PCs

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Only just caught up with this thread, been away ,interested but do I take it if I havnt got a PC they won't work, only got iPad now chucked PCs
Garmin Express system requirements
System Requirements
Windows
  • Windows XP or newer, Microsoft .NET 4 Client Profile (included)
  • 1024 x 768 display, USB port and 1 GB RAM
  • High speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)
  • May require up to 13 GB free disk space
Mac
  • Intel-based Mac running OS 10.7 or higher running in 64bit
  • 1024 x 768 display, USB port and 1 GB RAM
  • High speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)
  • May require up to 13 GB free disk space
Tablets simply aren't designed to run that sort of software.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As with all satnav's you need the computer to do the map updates etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back