LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Anyone know if there is a way to stop having to clear the three agree screens every time you turn it on ?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
hmmm - I'm not so impressed with it now.
The splash screens on start up are irritating, and can find now way to turn them off.
More importantly, and disappointingly, it doesn't come with Live Traffic, parking or speed camera alerts - unless you pay extra. All standard (and free) on my TomTom, and for a nominal fee on Co-Pilot.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The splash screens on start up are irritating, and can find now way to turn them off.
More importantly, and disappointingly, it doesn't come with Live Traffic, parking or speed camera alerts - unless you pay extra. All standard (and free) on my TomTom, and for a nominal fee on Co-Pilot.
It's supposed to come with Digital Traffic according to the advert. You may be able to pick up general car park (not motorhome) POI sets from one of the POI forums but I don't think anyone supplies speed camera data for free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Live information on your journey is available as an android app from your phone . haven't tried it yet though .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
For anyone in the HULL area still looking they had one (at least) in the Beverley Road Store at about 11.30 am to-day. I don`t think they close before 8pm?

Pete.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Live traffic alerts are £15.49 via smartphone app . speed cameras £15.49 , dynamic parking £3.99 , advanced weather £3.99

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Its a Garmin 760LMT
L for lifetime
M for maps
T for traffic.
IE lifetime maps and traffic

However this model doesn't seem to do anything until the traffic receiver is plugged in. Thats the little box mid way along the 12V car charger cable, the receiver is powered by the 12V. When I plugged it into the car and set a route to Dover, she announced "contraflow reported on M4" and showed a road narrows sign 30miles ahead.
I'm sure I'll get used to it, as its different to my NUVI. Be aware that the traffic re-routing can be next to useless, as she knows about delays on major routes but has no info on the adjacent minor routes. These minor routes are usually more jammed up than the motorway, she directs you off the motorway when you are actually better off just putting up with the motorway jam.

I've just managed to turn off the blasted speed camera warnings, as I took it out in the car today, and got very fed up with the mobile speed camera warnings, they seem to come 3 or 4 times a minute.
Beep, beep - 60mph mobile camera zone in 0.2 miles
Beep, beep - 60mph mobile camera zone
Beep, beep - 40mph mobile camera zone in 0.5 miles
Beep, beep - 40mph mobile camera zone
Beep, beep - 30mph mobile camera zone in 0.2 miles
Beep, beep - 30mph mobile camera zone
Beep, beep - 40mph mobile camera zone in 0.8 miles
Beep, beep - 40mph mobile camera zone
etc etc
I had switched of the warning tone on speed limit change, but seemed to get then by the backdoor with the speed cameras.
It seems ever road is a potential mobile camera zone, and than in Wiltshire where all fix camera are switched off.

On a positive note I had managed to load my home brew list of 103 French Aires. But I need to do it again as it doesn't handle ascents on letters very well.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I bought one of the caravan cover on spec. and it does actually nearly fit over My Oddessey all except the front grill. So it was a good buy at £69.99 it seems quite well made but it is a nightmare to get back in the box so it will stay in the bag, as is until it gets fitted for the bad weather next autumn. At least it will stop the potential leaks getting in because of the trim that dams the roof towards the front making a puddle there. I also got black streak remover and two bottles of caravan cleaner which is OK too. They also have some TV simulators to use when we are away, they look like the flickering of a TV set being watched and us being at home.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You can easily upgrade XP to Vista .. should give no problems at all ( but in all honesty unsure if Vista is still supported .. if it aint SP2 could be a wee problem getting hold of ! )

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Just found out that the Garmin Express needs Windows Vista SP2 or newer. I'm still running XP (old fashioned type of chap ;) ) Help!:rolleyes:

Like wise! Had to pop around to my grandson (age 13) :active: to get him to register it for me on his lap top :):)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Just found out that the Garmin Express needs Windows Vista SP2 or newer. I'm still running XP (old fashioned type of chap ;) ) Help!:rolleyes:

Well I did everything on my old Vista laptop. Its the only microsoft computer I have. I keep it in the MH to allow me update spreadsheets when I'm away. All other machines in the house are Linux or ipads.

Anyway after playinh for a couple of days with the new satnav. I decide to update the lap top as it was nagging me saying its out of date.

Only one update available VISTA SERVICE PACK 2
So I did all that was needed with a Vista machine but without servicepack 2:confused:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I brought one today in Alton, not opened it yet as still debating as i already own the tomtom camper satnav but wanted to be able to plan my own routes and have a bigger screen which this does seem to be able to do. I have read a few posts though about the thing sending people down restricted roads which is something my tomtom camper has never done. Aldi i believe have a 60 day returns policy so will probably wait a while to see how others get on and if no good i will just return it.

Anyone actually started using it in their motorhome for routing and has it been ok i.e. not taken you down any height/width restricted roads? i realise it is early days so may not have enough people using it yet.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had a practice run collecting my son from uni yesterday, i was in my car but had programmed in the van dimensions. It didnt try to take me down any funny roads but i deliberately took a narrow shortcut and immediately a warning appeared along the top telling me it might not be suitable. Also warned me about riadworks and how long the delay was, I had not connected it to bluetooth as far as i know. Seemed easy to follow, so far so good.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Got one today, only just found out about the offer as we are just back from France,they still have stock.
Looks like the updates will take some time.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
went to cambridge Aldi, friday morning!!!!:whistle: and got the last telly, excellent kit

:):):):):)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Got mine yesterday. Need to play around with it for a while. Chinese Sat Nav is now a back up (y)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Decided to unpack mine and update it, took about an hour to do all the updates including firmware, i did add a 16gb micro sd card class 10 to it only because i have some spare after reading a few posts about people running out of space. All went smoothly, i aLso read that the EULA nag will go once you have used the device for a period of time. The other nags wont though i.e. warnings about using device whilst driving etc.

Also managed to transfer over all the custom POI's i have which was surprisingly painless given the hoops i have to go through with my tomtom camper. Just need to test it now on the road. All in all for the price you cant go wrong as my i paid over £350 for the tomtom camper which although does do a good job is on the small side screen wise and although it does have lifetime maps the traffic each year is around £50 which is a lot considering.

I did just order some cheap screen protectors from amazon at just under £4

only time will tell.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Tap "where to" then "address" then "enter postcode".

Thanks. Finally got it, although took 3 attempts at updating and re-downloading maps to do it. There were no selections after address. Couldn't even find "London". :eek: Was just about ready to send it back. :censored:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Updated mine without problems (y) this morning in under an hour without adding a SD card. Looks like a good piece of kit but time will tell. Will give it a whirl at the weekend.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Updated mine without problems (y) this morning in under an hour without adding a SD card. Looks like a good piece of kit but time will tell. Will give it a whirl at the weekend.
Post back if you can once you have actually tested it as I won't be able to test mine properly for a few weeks.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Post back if you can once you have actually tested it as I won't be able to test mine properly for a few weeks.
Will do

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Got one, and seems very good, although it took a couple of attempts to load the maps, as with other funsters.
Does anyone know if it's possible to enter Lat and Long into the unit, as can't see where to do it, and we are off to a campsite in Provence in the summer that the Sat Nav will not recognise the address of.
Cheers
Jim

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Got one, and seems very good, although it took a couple of attempts to load the maps, as with other funsters.
Does anyone know if it's possible to enter Lat and Long into the unit, as can't see where to do it, and we are off to a campsite in Provence in the summer that the Sat Nav will not recognise the address of.
Cheers
Jim
Tap "where to" then scroll down to "coordinates".

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Cheers
Jim
Once you have found the coordinates app, hold it down for a couple of seconds then move it to the first page. Makes it easier to find.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back