Advice for our longest holiday yet. (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
In a last minute change of plans instead of flying to a family celebration in Portugal in a few days, I’m going to drive down as fast as I can then meet my wife and family who will already be there. My plan is now to take a couple of months off and slowly drive home along the coast from the Algarve into Spain and ever North, perhaps stopping at a c and cc rally for a week or so. Now I’m far from a newbie but this will be our longest holiday yet and I wonder if those of you lucky enough to enjoy extended breaks have any tips to pass on?
I have a refillable lpg bottle, an extra cassette, a little charcoal bbq and an electric griddle. Tv watching will have to be restricted to dvd films as we don’t have a dish. I have acsi, Aires books, maps and a gps, but is there anything else I’ve not thought about?
Thank you.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Looks like you don't have solar. Could be useful as many sites on your way will not be open this time of year especially in France, though many are open in Spain and Portugal. Most aires don't have ehu. I would recommend travelling with a full water tank for the same reason, as the water will be turned off in many aires to avoid frost damage.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Looks like you have it sorted. We don’t do anything differently on long trips to weekends away in Uk apart from the making sure have all documents.
Make sure your breakdown covers you otherwise there’s nothing you cannot sort on way.
Have a wonderful trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Crazylegs
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Looks like you don't have solar. Could be useful as many sites on your way will not be open this time of year especially in France, though many are open in Spain and Portugal. Most aires don't have ehu. I would recommend travelling with a full water tank for the same reason, as the water will be turned off in many aires to avoid frost damage.

We do have solar, in yet another one of my oversights I forgot to mention it, much like the time I went to Germany without my passport!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Personally I can't justify solar panels, certainly not for the cost and advantages. We've been motorhoming for over 10 years and last holiday was 6 weeks and didn't miss solar anywhere and we used Aires mainly without EHU and if I remember correctly, parked up at one place for 5 days and didn't have a problem in the usage and starting up to leave. However, that's my opinion based on my experience.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
You will need to register a credit card against your vehicle registration as you enter Portugal if you intend to use the toll roads A22 springs to mind

Top up with everything in Spain before entering Portugal as its a lot cheaper, gas, fuel food and booze

Relax enjoy and remember two months is more than a holiday so no eating out and drinking every day , most of all ENJOY.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like you are all sorted, we started taking two month trips nearly two years ago. We find once we are away in the van time is irrelevant never want to come home. If it's 2 weeks or 2 months we take the same stuff with us the only extra we carry now is a washing machine.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Personally I can't justify solar panels, certainly not for the cost and advantages. We've been motorhoming for over 10 years and last holiday was 6 weeks and didn't miss solar anywhere and we used Aires mainly without EHU and if I remember correctly, parked up at one place for 5 days and didn't have a problem in the usage and starting up to leave. However, that's my opinion based on my experience.
Depends on how you use your van we have been getting by with 200 watts of solar just bought a 3rd panel and a bit peeved I've not got room on the roof for a 4th. We couldn't survive without it.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds like you are all sorted, we started taking two month trips nearly two years ago. We find once we are away in the van time is irrelevant never want to come home. If it's 2 weeks or 2 months we take the same stuff with us the only extra we carry now is a washing machine.

Can you explain how you use the washing machine please.....eg, do you site it outside the MH? How does it drain etc?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can you explain how you use the washing machine please.....eg, do you site it outside the MH? How does it drain etc?
Sit it just inside the garage, has a drain hose that we put a bucket under, fill it up from a shower I fitted in the garage.
It's one of these, loads of Funsters have them, washes & spins very well, you do need a Pure sine inverter to run it if not on EHU.
upload_2017-12-24_10-18-54.png

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Depends on how you use your van we have been getting by with 200 watts of solar just bought a 3rd panel and a bit peeved I've not got room on the roof for a 4th. We couldn't survive without it.
Think my main problem is putting one on the roof. Not hot a flat bit as such and never had one and what you haven't had, so to speak

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Is that like a twin tub then? Is it very heavy to move about?

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
One thing I make sure of is the ability to access my bank and credit card accounts over the internet - make sure to understand how to access them safely (eg, not by public wi-fi &c.).
Make sure things like insurance, MOT and tax don't expire while away.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Think my main problem is putting one on the roof. Not hot a flat bit as such and never had one and what you haven't had, so to speak
Denpends on your power use and how many batteries, 3 batteries in ours and use about 30a/h a day, more in winter, and can hit the batteries for another 60a/h if we charge the e-bikes.
Is that like a twin tub then? Is it very heavy to move about?
I think it's about 13kg, I can move it & pick it up on my own without any problems and I have to be careful or I will put my back out, had back problems for over 30 years.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What's that all about. Planning & Motorhoming two words I would not use on the same page let along the same sentance.:xrofl:

You could use a portable one Lenny . It only take's second's to set up , you do have to fold if your moving on , but it's no worst than a camp chair . At present i've got an old 100w on the roof , but i plan on trading that in for 2x150w panel's , and backing them up with my 100w portable , which should give me a total of 400w . Interested in your twin tub too , but i'll get back to you on that one at a later date .
Far too much hassle and you have to chain them up to stop them walking, rarely stay more than one or two nights anywhere and don't do sites unless we have to. Likewise we would never buy a Motorhome without fixed beds & table, like to stop put the handbrake on swivel the seats open the beer, that's what Motorhomings all about. I'll leave the flaffing about to the tuggers, been there done that, never again.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
One thing I make sure of is the ability to access my bank and credit card accounts over the internet - make sure to understand how to access them safely (eg, not by public wi-fi &c.).
Make sure things like insurance, MOT and tax don't expire while away.
Good point. I also make sure all bills and credit cards paid automatically by direct debit and inform bank and card providers of travel plans.
Check house insurance and a MH. Insurance for maximum days allowed away from home.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You are doing the right things it’s not nice if you haven’t got somewhere to stop and been driving for four or five hours especially through France this time of year but you don’t need to worry there are plenty of aires that you can use,once you’ve done it a couple of times planning becomes easier and less important.
Have a great trip and enjoy it don’t worry and get yourself stressed it’s not worth it you’ll find somewhere to stop.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Very Good Point!
Print off some references for street signs, get acquainted with which colour signs are for peage, which for toll-free (I seem to remember the colours are opposite in some countries!), what the parking limitations are &c. Especially when / how the road priority changes for "priorité à droite" to "sensible" :xlaugh:
Be aware that some French divers are unaware of conventions regarding indicating or road positioning - especially on roundabouts.
As it's going to be your first extended trip, don't forget that when you return, you will have to concentrate on re-learning to drive on the "wrong" side, go round roundabouts the opposite way. Ask me how I know! :xdoh:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We carry a uk MasterCard credit card and on our last two trips to France used it everywhere without problems so no need to carry too much cash.
The card was needed to pay at Aires that were barrier controlled and also for autoroute tolls. Try and get one that is transaction fee free then there is no need to worry if you decide to use a bit of toll road by design or accident. Some bits of toll road can be very useful and less stressful than finding your way on your own through and around larger towns.
If possible travel the first bit of France on a Sunday as the roads are much quieter without any lorries.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
With regard to Visa debit card, I assume that’s what you have. It is not possible to pay for goods and services, fuel, tolls etc with a debit card. You can only use it to withdraw cash in euros from an ATM. Santander visa debit charges a percentage of the amount drawn out PLUS a transaction fee on top.
If you don’t want to get a credit card then many funsters recommend prepayment cards such as Revolut. I think you would have to use an app on your phone to transfer money onto it from your bank account. Many fuel stations in France are unmanned so some sort of payment card required.
I will do a search for one of the threads on this subject and post a link.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/revolut-or-not-to-revolut.137600/

You mention that the radio you are looking at has internet access. I’m not sure how this works but in order to access the internet from any device such as this or indeed your phone, you need to have some form of data contract to use the mobile 3G or 4G network.
The only other way to access the internet is by logging onto private WiFi systems such as that provided by a campsite or by some restaurants and cafes. You have to be in close range to do that.

Last edited:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It is not possible to pay for goods and services, fuel, tolls etc with a debit card. You can only use it to withdraw cash in euros from an ATM.
Perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying, but I’ve used a debit card to pay for just about everything, in France, Spain and Portugal.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying, but I’ve used a debit card to pay for just about everything, in France, Spain and Portugal.
Same here,,,they are accepted world wide,,BUSBY,,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We use a post office credit card all the time and pay it off at the end of the month with no fees but have also used our debit card without any problems.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back