Adding a 2nd Leisure Battery - Help with purchasing additional cables etc (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Looks nice and neat(y)

Being picky the colour coding of the leads between the two batteries is wrong. Red should be between positive terminals and black to the negative. But colours don't stop it working, just confuses someone who might look at stuff in a year or two's time.
The cables are correct......it’s just the red cover on the right hand battery thats wrong.....

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Thank you, added a photo with correct cap 😃

20210130_151200.jpg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Colour code for original battery is standard German auto: Black = positive, brown = negative. Colour code for link wires is standard UK auto colours: red = positive, black = negative. Enjoy:giggle::oops::eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Colour code for original battery is standard German auto: Black = positive, brown = negative. Colour code for link wires is standard UK auto colours: red = positive, black = negative. Enjoy:giggle::oops::eek:

Took me £50 of chargers to realise. 😢😢🤦🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Thank you for the clarification, wondered why so many brown cables.🤦

Favmeister

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Clun Valley, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Very nice looking job Martin, it's given me the confidence to tackle mine (y). Just a couple of questions...1) did you disconnect the cab/starter battery while doing the job? And...2) did you disconnect the seat belt warning wire(s) when you removed the seat? Thanks.

Jan 26, 2020
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since October 2019
Looks nice and neat(y)

Being picky the colour coding of the leads between the two batteries is wrong. Red should be between positive terminals and black to the negative. But colours don't stop it working, just confuses someone who might look at stuff in a year or two's time.
Oh Please!...

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I used jump leads purchased off ebay when i fitted my B2B - if you are careful when taking off the crocodile clips you are left with a crimped connection you can drill into and then connect to your battery. makes life a lot easier and you know they are rated high enough for your battery !!

they worked out a lot cheaper than buying cable separately !!
If you’re going to use jump lead cable make sure that it’s copper cable and not copper covered aluminium, used in a lot of the cheap Chinese jump cables and other cabling.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If you’re going to use jump lead cable make sure that it’s copper cable and not copper covered aluminium, used in a lot of the cheap Chinese jump cables and other cabling.
really? as far as i understood the copper clad aluminium dont conduct electricity as well as copper does, therefore need a greater cross sectional area, so fitting a cable rated for 120Amps would be fine when used on a 50A B2B

surely its the rating that is important as opposed to what its made of and as i used the already crimped ends when i did mine i believed that to be not only adequate but also safe?

if it isnt safe then obviously i need to and will replace it as soon as possible, can you confirm whether it safe ??

Always willing to learn, even at my age LOL

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Not many of us use silver, the best conductor, for jump leads, because it's obviously too expensive. We use slightly larger copper conductors instead. As copper gets more expensive, the next best conductor, aluminium, is used increasingly. A slightly larger cross-section is required, and also it is more susceptible to oxidation. The only problem is when copper-coloured aluminium cables are passed off as copper, and priced as such.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Oh no.....around we go again😂😂😂😂

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
really? as far as i understood the copper clad aluminium dont conduct electricity as well as copper does, therefore need a greater cross sectional area, so fitting a cable rated for 120Amps would be fine when used on a 50A B2B

surely its the rating that is important as opposed to what its made of and as i used the already crimped ends when i did mine i believed that to be not only adequate but also safe?

if it isnt safe then obviously i need to and will replace it as soon as possible, can you confirm whether it safe ??

Always willing to learn, even at my age LOL
As Autorouter says, the problem arises when you purchase CCA cables thinking they are copper. Aluminium conducts about 40% less electricity than copper, hence the CSA will be bigger IF they have been correctly specified. I have been caught out, not with jump cables but other “automotive cables” from eBay, only found out when I tried to solder them! If they are the correct, for CCA, CSA and terminated correctly with a crimp connection you should be ok.

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
All the advise above is good. Perhaps once you have worked out the current rating, the length of cable & the size of the bolt holes etc, you could contact a company called Sheridan Marine (01494 652 085) for example. They are based near Goring on the Thames. They will be able to make a couple of cables to suit. They do mail order. They request you call after noon as they are busy in the morning posting out orders. Phone & explain what you are doing they will help. They normally have the correct cables & terminals in stock as they are commonly replacing / repairing the 12 volt engine & domestic systems on the boats. They also sell some pre-made up cables which may suit your installation. Please note their workshop may be flooded due to river levels but it is still worth a ring. To all "Funsters " I recommend you check out their web site As they stock a lot of useful items for use in boats that are equally applicable for use in motorhomes. By the way they are by far the best Chandlers on the Thames.

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Very nice looking job Martin, it's given me the confidence to tackle mine (y). Just a couple of questions...1) did you disconnect the cab/starter battery while doing the job? And...2) did you disconnect the seat belt warning wire(s) when you removed the seat? Thanks.

Thank you!

Yes I disconnected the vehicle battery "First step".
Yes I disconnected the seat belt warning connector "Yellow plug".

I had no warnings once I started the engine! (y)

Joc

Jul 5, 2018
Bluntisham, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
Since 2018
These schematics have been a god send for me in tidying up my wiring in my B694..

View attachment 461847
Pardon me if I`ve missed something (and I`m sure more learned people will correct me if I`m wrong) but a 50 amp CB on the Solar Charging circuit?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Pardon me if I`ve missed something (and I`m sure more learned people will correct me if I`m wrong) but a 50 amp CB on the Solar Charging circuit?
Probably more to act as an isolater if necessary to disconnect the panels.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Are you able to solder the lugs on? That gives a better connection. Just done mine. I also included an Anderson 50Amp socket to connect up a portable solar panel, when acquired. I fixed the plug to the raised ally battery retainer sheet of metal, easy to drop the front grill down and plug in, it had a 12amp blade fuse built into the fly lead.. You may also consider a higher rated Anderson plug for plugging in an inverter at a later date?
Regards.
Mike

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Are you able to solder the lugs on? That gives a better connection. Just done mine.
Regards.
Mike
As per post #79

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
As per post #79

:oops2: