LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I am in the process of adding two more batteries and have all the gear ready 35 mm sq cable and ends I have a hydraulic crimper the question is are you to put any thing on the copper wire before crimping ie to stop corrosion.
image.jpg

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
I use heatshrink covering the whole of the tube and a similar amount of the wire insulation at the least.

Difficult to tell from the pic, although it does look about right, but you want the insulation trimmed so that the tube is full of copper and the insulation is touching the tube.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would run some solder over the wire first and as suggested put some heat shrink over the wire before you crimp it up (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would run some solder over the wire first and as suggested put some heat shrink over the wire before you crimp it up (y)
Do NOT solder wires before crimping, as when you crimp the join the wires will break apart giving a poor joint. A crimped joint cold welds the metals together it completely defeats the object if you solder the wire. Not only would you get a poor joint also it will work loose over time.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Do NOT solder wires before crimping, as when you crimp the join the wires will break apart giving a poor joint. A crimped joint cold welds the metals together it completely defeats the object if you solder the wire. Not only would you get a poor joint also it will work loose over time.
I have never heard of a cold weld, crimping is a mechanical joint only,there is no welding or fusion of the wires,or wires to the crimped lug.
Crimping is usually preferred because it's easier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Crimping is usually preferred because it's easier
It is preferred because it is more reliable. A crimp may not be a true 'cold weld' but done correctly it should deform every individual strand and exclude air from the joint. Just in case it doesn't (as with Fiat earth straps) Vaseline or even WD40 will fill any voids.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Crimping is usually preferred because it's easier.
No, it is because it makes a better joint.

Excerpt from an article about crimping wires:-

As more pressure is applied to the connection, metal in the wire strands begins to stretch and flow. This loosens and drives off any surface oxides that might have increased the resistance of the connection. With more pressure comes more deformation of the wire bundle until the formerly round cross-section of each strand is gone, replaced by a collection of strands with flattened sides snugged up next to each other in a honeycomb pattern. The result is cold-welded, gas-tight junctions between the strands and the crimp connector.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
the question is are you to put any thing on the copper wire before crimping ie to stop corrosion.
I find that the heatshrink size that just fits over the connection after crimping is fine, and shrinks down to grip the cable and connector. No need to slide it on before crimping.

If you were bothered about corrosion you should be using marine grade wire, which has tinned strands to better resist corrosion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I find that the heatshrink size that just fits over the connection after crimping is fine, and shrinks down to grip the cable and connector. No need to slide it on before crimping.

If you were bothered about corrosion you should be using marine grade wire, which has tinned strands to better resist corrosion
It’s in a dry area I had just wondered if it was the done thing, normally I just crimp and cover and have never had any problems.

Jan 26, 2020
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since October 2019
Just crimp them on, put some heat shrink over the end of the terminal and wire

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When I was working at the bus workshop the electrician used to crimp the battery and starter terminals and then run solder into the terminal. He said that was what the small hole next to the ring is for.
He made up the cables for the winch and second battery on my Discovery I can’t remember any terminals pulling off cables so I assumed he knew what he was doing.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
then run solder into the terminal. He said that was what the small hole next to the ring is for.

The hole is to be able to check the crimp has been done properly, i.e. the copper is in far enough. The reality is though, all of these "must do it this way" things are for terminals that are carrying the maximum current continuously and are required to last 20+ years...

However, the must do's in this instance aren't actually a hardship to do, so why wouldn't you?

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The hole is to be able to check the crimp has been done properly, i.e. the copper is in far enough. The reality is though, all of these "must do it this way" things are for terminals that are carrying the maximum current continuously and are required to last 20+ years...

However, the must do's in this instance aren't actually a hardship to do, so why wouldn't you?
Only 20 YEARS ! 🤣

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Soldering connectors instead of, or as well as, crimping makes for less reliable joints in a vibration-prone environment like a vehicle or aircraft. Solder joints are forbidden in aircraft repairs, and in most makes of motor vehicles - certainly Audi.There are decades of reliability studies to confirm this. Solder joints fail in the long-term under vibration much more than crimps. The best way is crimp and cover, which is what you are doing.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I have just used one of these.

View attachment 458773

Seemed to do a good job. The strength of the crimp depends on the hammer I suppose. I did consider the sledgehammer but decided that was a bit too much!
Just a little tip for anyone using one of those crimp tools......always remember to remove your thumb from the top of the tool first 😱😂🤪😱😂🤪

D66054E7-C189-4F1A-A662-2D84DE3E547F.jpeg

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just crimp it using a decent powered (hydraulic/electric/pneumatic) crimp tool, and correctly sized die. Only crimp once.
The hole is there solely to show the lug is fully seated on the conductor.
If you want to put heat shrink to make it look pretty, or for colour coding - that's fine.

Do not put solder anywhere near it.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My crimping tool is just like a VERY large pair of two handed pliers and, if the joint is going to be near a damp environment, I dip the end of the wire in some 'copper ease' and then crimp. Red heat shrinks are good on the positive lead leads.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2010
Katikati, New Zealand
Funster No
I have just used one of these.

View attachment 458773

Seemed to do a good job. The strength of the crimp depends on the hammer I suppose. I did consider the sledgehammer but decided that was a bit too much!
This is far and away the most reliable way of achieving a good crimp joint. It avoids any mismatch between the crimp terminal and the hydraulic crimp tool, particularly if the copper wire strands don't perfectly fill the terminal tube before crimping. I used two different hydraulic tools before ending up with the simple hammer tool, and never looked back after that. Test the mechanical strength of your crimped joint before you cover it up with shrink tube. You'll avoid disguising/hiding a poorly made joint - the above comes from bitter experience! You absolutely shouldn't use solder - it can form a point of rigidity in the joint around which the flexible wires may bend and ultimately break through metal fatigue.

Justyn HARRIS

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Luton UK and Barenton Normandy France
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exactly... well said.. obviously an engineer or holder of a time served apprenticeship.. as opposed to a Google education.. lol
Me= a semi retired master tech . Vehicle diagnostic technician.. happy motorhoming

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back