Adding a 2nd Leisure Battery - Help with purchasing additional cables etc (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Yes, I've read similar.

Thank you for confirming.. I think I have everything less battery clamps.

Do you think these ones are ok?

71KO5I9iStL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Some will say don’t bother moving either of the original cables and simply link the batteries.....I followed what I read for creating a balanced battery bank set up.

It doesn’t matter if you move the positive terminal clamp (including all of it’s attachments) or the negative (including all of it’s attachments).

The idea is simply to have the current charge / draw diagonal across the battery bank.

I moved my negative as I fitted a Victron Smart Shunt Battery Monitor at the same time.

It‘s also best practice to keep the two links between the batteries the same length.

71KO5I9iStL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Yes, I've read similar.

Thank you for confirming.. I think I have everything less battery clamps.

Do you think these ones are ok?

View attachment 460720

View attachment 460719
Should be ok as long as they fit your battery posts.

You would however only really need clamps with one lug post for your battery link lead, as your existing ones will still carry all the existing cables....with just one moved to the other battery and one of the new clamps on the new battery and one on the old battery.

If that makes sense......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
17mm on the Negative and 19mm on the positive, not sure what the Varta battery is, can't find it in the specs..

I'll measure the current ones and order the right size.

You've been a great help, thank you!

Should be ok as long as they fit your battery posts.

You would however only really need clamps with one lug post for your battery link lead, as your existing ones will still carry all the existing cables....with just one moved to the other battery and one of the new clamps on the new battery and one on the old battery.

If that makes sense......

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm starting to think the €259 installation quote might be worth it! :oops: :ROFLMAO: but then again I like doing my own modifications!
HOW MUCH!!!!!!
Does that price include the new battery?
I reckon €50 would be taking the piss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
HOW MUCH!!!!!!
Does that price include the new battery?
I reckon €50 would be taking the piss.

Fiat Professional for you.. Hence why I'm keen to do it myself. The battery? They quoted me around €200 to €230, I got a new one for €146 link: Here

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Make sure that the diameter of the holes in the crimps will suit the bolts on your battery connections. Bit of a pain when I found my Victron smartshunt needed 10mm diameter and yet all my existing leads were 8mm.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Great post and very refreshing to see genuine posters here to help others. I’m trying to figure out if one leisure battery and a 100w solar will be good enough weather depending to see us over a week on no hook up in August. Just for lights and a bit of water pumping. Will follow this tread if decide to add an extra battery. 👍🏻
just for lights and water pumnp in august should be fine

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Thank you all the help - This coming Saturday I'll jump in with two feet and fit the new battery "Seat out first" ::bigsmile:

I'll be sure to post some follow up images once the job has been completed!

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Not teaching you to suck eggs, but safety glasses in case you touch and arc something you’re not meant to.
Good advice. The additional battery has turned up but no vent tube in the box, is a tube a must? Can't find any information on the net.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I found a cheap selection of tee's and joints in B&Q but you'll need to search for them - they also
do the tube. Just a tee pushed into the battery will do you if you cut the existing tube ---- if you are lucky

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you can find a bit of tube and a tee joint, you could cut into the existing tube and tee into it. Maybe screenwash tubing would do.

Edit: I'm not the first to suggest this

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Ok, I noticed the current battery "Same as the one ordered" has a vent tube fitted.

See attached:

View attachment 460967
Curious; I understood that AGMs were sealed and didn’t need venting.

I guess that if there is a vent on the battery, it should be bleeding (😉) obvious and, if so, I’d attach a vent and ensure that is vented to the exterior.

Does the vent on your existing battery vent outside?

Ian

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Curious; I understood that AGMs were sealed and didn’t need venting.

I guess that if there is a vent on the battery, it should be bleeding (😉) obvious and, if so, I’d attach a vent and ensure that is vented to the exterior.

Does the vent on your existing battery vent outside?

Ian
2 vents either side.. Current one is routed via the main vehicle battery housing and out the bottom.

I'll sort some tubing tomorrow!

20210128_183735.jpg

20210128_183723.jpg

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Quick question - I've been informed that I should disconnect the main vehicle battery first to avoid a warning lamp from the air bags, is this correct? Otherwise I would have to visit the dealer for a reset.

OP
OP
Ginger.Tog
Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Stealaway Quick question - Do you recommend disconnecting the Vehicle battery prior?

"I've been informed that I should disconnect the main vehicle battery first to avoid a warning lamp from the air bags, is this correct? Otherwise I would have to visit the dealer for a reset."

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I never have.......however there will be plenty of people who will frighten the sh*te out of you with stories of airbags or seat belt pre-tensioners going off.

If you leave the ignition off it won’t register a fault......in my experience with several Fiat vans, where I’ve removed double passenger seats to fit single seats and had to fit a resistor to the missing pretensioner wiring to stop the airbag light coming on, it goes back out after a few power cycles of the ignition.

but do what you feel most comfortable with, because there will always be someone who will say you’ve don’t it wrong or should have done this or that.....

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Stealaway Quick question - Do you recommend disconnecting the Vehicle battery prior?

"I've been informed that I should disconnect the main vehicle battery first to avoid a warning lamp from the air bags, is this correct? Otherwise I would have to visit the dealer for a reset."

As its going under the seat where the sensor wires are going to be I would say yes - just to be sure you don't catch one.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Looks nice and neat(y)

Being picky the colour coding of the leads between the two batteries is wrong. Red should be between positive terminals and black to the negative. But colours don't stop it working, just confuses someone who might look at stuff in a year or two's time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back