Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Seems a lot of more experienced vets are foreign and have gone back home!
yes when I lived in Devon from about 95 on we started to get young spanish women vets in the abbatoir & production plants. By 2000/1 they were the majority. The older head woman was head hunted by defra who dangled 80k/year in front of her. Trouble is with brexit, most have returned.
I have a spanish vet ,Pablo,returned from the Uk where I go.He'd been there in Putney for 20 years & the last 8 in Weymouth. the out finished it for him as he wanted the kids to be europeans. Another, Gabriel, who came back a couple of years ago had been in Torquay for the previos 8 years.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Just checked, first consultation was £28 and when we went back for the follow up it was £18, I would be happy for something around the £40-£50 for an AHC but what these vets are trying to charge is nothing short of profiteering and we know they will just blame the dreaded B word. If i carry on taking my hounds on our Jollies, i will definitely be getting an EU pet passport, but at least i will only have to bite the bullet once..................
Fine, as long as you check how long the rabies jab lasts and can be sure you will be in the EU when the booster is due.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Fine, as long as you check how long the rabies jab lasts and can be sure you will be in the EU when the booster is due.
Not too difficult if you opt for a country that has 3-yearly boosters. The booster can be done before the previous vaccination expires, it doesn’t have to be on the exact date.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not too difficult if you opt for a country that has 3-yearly boosters. The booster can be done before the previous vaccination expires, it doesn’t have to be on the exact date.
Yes i think ill get mine done in germany at the same time as their worming.

Im assuming the rabies jags done in the uk last august wont affect jade and Milos spanish passports.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Yes i think ill get mine done in germany at the same time as their worming.

Im assuming the rabies jags done in the uk last august wont affect jade and Milos spanish passports.
One thing I’ve read in a few places is that German vets tend to insist on giving another rabies booster before issuing a Pet Passport. This might not be the case with all German vets but something to check first. I’m not keen on Nix having any more vaccinations than necessary - her last booster was June 2020.

I don’t see that Jade‘s and Milo‘s UK boosters will be any problem. At that time they were given by an EU vet.

(Just an edit because I think I’ve got the wrong end of the stick. I think you are probably talking about getting future rabies boosters in Germany, like in 2 years time.)

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
One thing I’ve read in a few places is that German vets tend to insist on giving another rabies booster before issuing a Pet Passport. This might not be the case with all German vets but something to check first. I’m not keen on Nix having any more vaccinations than necessary - her last booster was June 2020.

I don’t see that Jade‘s and Milo‘s UK boosters will be any problem. At that time they were given by an EU vet.

(Just an edit because I think I’ve got the wrong end of the stick. I think you are probably talking about getting future rabies boosters in Germany, like in 2 years time.)
Mine have spanish passports ...they had rabies boosters done last august before i left uk in September. But as they are on Spanish passports the vaccine is required every year so they expire in august 21
But as i will be returning to the uk in april and have EU passports i will get their vaccines done in germany before I come home in April so i can keep using the spanish passports

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Mine have spanish passports ...they had rabies boosters done last august before i left uk in September. But as they are on Spanish passports the vaccine is required every year so they expire in august 21
But as i will be returning to the uk in april and have EU passports i will get their vaccines done in germany before I come home in April so i can keep using the spanish passports
That’s interesting. I had always believed that if the rabies booster was given in the UK it was valid for 3 years. I’m surprised that the country of origin of the Pet Passport has any bearing on the booster’s duration. Ok, if you are a Spanish resident I can see that you might have to have annual rabies boosters because it is a local law or regulation. But I wouldn’t have thought that was the case otherwise ...... :unsure:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That’s interesting. I had always believed that if the rabies booster was given in the UK it was valid for 3 years. I’m surprised that the country of origin of the Pet Passport has any bearing on the booster’s duration. Ok, if you are a Spanish resident I can see that you might have to have annual rabies boosters because it is a local law or regulation. But I wouldn’t have thought that was the case otherwise ...... :unsure:
No idea but definitely only valid one year ...bit of a pain really

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The interval between boosters depends on the vaccine used. The one used in the UK has a 3 year interval. This difference in intervals probably explains why some have posted different intervals in the same country.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The interval between boosters depends on the vaccine used. The one used in the UK has a 3 year interval. This difference in intervals probably explains why some have posted different intervals in the same country.
It’s not as simple as that - see Rabies vaccine duration in different EU countries

Nobivac Rabies, Canigen Rabies and Versiguard Rabies all have durations of 3 years stated by their manufacturers. Yet, for example, gus-lopez (who lives in Spain) posted a photo of his dog’s pet passport - Versiguard Rabies was the vaccine but the revaccination period was only one year.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It’s not as simple as that - see Rabies vaccine duration in different EU countries

Nobivac Rabies, Canigen Rabies and Versiguard Rabies all have durations of 3 years stated by their manufacturers. Yet, for example, gus-lopez (who lives in Spain) posted a photo of his dog’s pet passport - Versiguard Rabies was the vaccine but the revaccination period was only one year.
It isn't the vaccine that differs its the country

My dogs have had the same nobivac vaccine both in spain and in the uk
Spanish passport dictates 12 month vaccines ....whether the actual vaccine lasts 3 months or not it must be done ebery 12 months on a Spanish passport

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Spanish passport dictates 12 month vaccines ....whether the actual vaccine lasts 3 months or not it must be done ebery 12 months on a Spanish passport
In that case, it would probably be worth your while getting replacement German pet passports for Jade and Milo on your way back to the UK. They are only young dogs and so will need an awful lot of annual rabies boosters in their lifetimes. Swapping to a 3-yearly booster pet passport would benefit both them and you. :Smile:

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012

That wouldn't be there to provide more work for vets would it?:unsure:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In that case, it would probably be worth your while getting replacement German pet passports for Jade and Milo on your way back to the UK. They are only young dogs and so will need an awful lot of annual rabies boosters in their lifetimes. Swapping to a 3-yearly booster pet passport would benefit both them and you. :Smile:
If germany does that then its an option.

I am wary though that this is a loophole and im sure in time uk vets will object to losing money to eu and the loophole will be closed.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
When we had Charlie’s boosters done in Fuerteventura the vet said he also needed the rabies jab we said his English rabies jab was different and lasted for another two years.
He corrected us and pointed out Charlie is now in Spain and Spanish law dictates it’s every year also pointed out that the Guardia Civil could ask at any time to inspect his pet passport.
Charlies Spanish vet charges about €32 for his boosters and rabies combined.

Thanks Maz for getting this informative thread in one place👍

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020

Maybe you should get a German passport too if they do 3 year rabies. Can you guarantee you'll be able to be in the eu every year at around the same time?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Maybe you should get a German passport too if they do 3 year rabies. Can you guarantee you'll be able to be in the eu every year at around the same time?
Ill have to ask them while im there

But as i said above im wary of the uk changing this loophole ....uk vets won't like losing money.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Ill have to ask them while im there

But as i said above im wary of the uk changing this loophole ....uk vets won't like losing money.

I would hazard a guess that animal travel / pet travel is all part of a much bigger DEFRA / EU control package, a bit like ham and sandwiches fall into the importing of meat and dairy.
The point I think I am trying to make is that it is probably not going to change as a specific individual change. And would only come as part of a bigger change.
Also I doubt the EU will be interested in the opinion of UK vets bleating about loss of income.

But hey what do I know. I am after all only guessing. :rolleyes:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would hazard a guess that animal travel / pet travel is all part of a much bigger DEFRA / EU control package, a bit like ham and sandwiches fall into the importing of meat and dairy.
The point I think I am trying to make is that it is probably not going to change as a specific individual change. And would only come as part of a bigger change.
Also I doubt the EU will be interested in the opinion of UK vets bleating about loss of income.

But hey what do I know. I am after all only guessing. :rolleyes:
They don't have to listen to eu vets

They simply have to decide to deny entry to uk on eu passports or state that if the dog owner resides in the uk that tje passport is invalid

And lets face it the uk government is on a mission to bugger up everything it possibly can at present

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If germany does that then its an option.

I am wary though that this is a loophole and im sure in time uk vets will object to losing money to eu and the loophole will be closed.
1. I really don’t see this as a ‘loophole’. It works for Americans, Australians and therefore should for us as another Part II listed country.

2. Re vets objecting to losing money to the EU - all I can say to them is ‘tough‘! Though I might also add ‘Welcome to the sunlit uplands’. :wink:

3. If the (apparently vast majority of) UK vets weren’t so intent on charging ridiculous amounts of money for AHCs, then maybe we wouldn’t be looking so intently for workarounds. :RollEyes:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
1. I really don’t see this as a ‘loophole’. It works for Americans, Australians and therefore should for us as another Part II listed country.

2. Re vets objecting to losing money to the EU - all I can say to them is ‘tough‘! Though I might also add ‘Welcome to the sunlit uplands’. :wink:

3. If the (apparently vast majority of) UK vets weren’t so intent on charging ridiculous amounts of money for AHCs, then maybe we wouldn’t be looking so intently for workarounds. :RollEyes:
Yep i know all that

But i also know its a tight fisted Tory government backed by people of questionable intelligence and morals running the country and that means anything can happen.
Ahc's mean lots of cash for uk vets.
If everyone decides to get eu passports for their dogs instead i can see there being changes brought in.

Call me a pessimist

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have found this thread both informative and very useful it would be great if we could avoid polatics derailing it please.

Life is politics and no matter how much people wish their politics were not responsible for these situations its inevitable. ...and perfectly valid as its the government making these rules and therefore able to change them on a whim.

LiquidLunch

Free Member
Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!
Yep i know all that

But i also know its a tight fisted Tory government backed by people of questionable intelligence and morals running the country and that means anything can happen.
If everyone decides to get eu passports for their dogs instead i can see there being changes brought in.

Call me a pessimist
Of course a Government of a different colour would have made it a Free service for all paid for by the Tax payer no doubt.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Of course a Government of a different colour would have made it a Free service for all paid for by the Tax payer no doubt.
They wouldn't have had to as there would never have been a vote in 2016

That was entirely down to the current government 🤷🏻‍♂️

In which case we would still be using pet passports .

And our sandwiches would also be safe

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

So the moral of this story is do NOT get a Spanish EU passport for your pet, get one from a vet that does vacs that last 3 years in their country.

I can't see there being any change to EU passport being accepted in the UK - we are 'on a par' with other Part II listed countries so in order to change it for UK residents they would also have to ban it for visitors from Part II listed countries - ain't gonna happen.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
So without me trawling through the whole thread again.... is there a quick reference to which EU countries have a vaccs that last the 3 years.
i have been dragging the tinternet and not come up with anything as yet.

I know i am lazy....;)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Yep i know all that

Call me a pessimist
I can't see how any changes made by the UK could effect UK vets. People are thinking of getting EU passports to enter the EU. I've no specific knowledge, but nothing I've seen in UK entry regulations prohibits the use of a EU passport to document the required worming procedure. Indeed as far as I can tell, a signed and stamped statement on a vets headed paper confirming the administering of an approved worming tablet to a dog with a certain chip number would suffice for UK entry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back