Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I doubt if you will as we were notified that UK citizens, including ones who are permanent residents in other EU states & holding Identity cards, could no longer use any of the EU helpline systems.
If so, I think that is a great shame. :(

I would have thought it in the EU’s interest for everyone to clearly understand what is and isn’t allowed.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The original UK issued passport was based on an EU one and contained all the same details ,but in English. As we are now out of the EU the UK based passport won't be accepted but there is no reason why an EU issued pet passport shouldn't be accepted.the next time we take the dog abroad,we will buy an EU passport,I don't want to keep paying £50 plus for an AHC which is only valid for 4 months.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
St Anne’s Veterinary Group, Eastbourne

Hold the record so far for most expensive AHC at £136.06 for the first animal plus £91.43 for each subsequent animal on the same AHC.”

OMG, thats my vets, great...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Hold the record so far for most expensive AHC at £136.06 for the first animal plus £91.43 for each subsequent animal on the same AHC.”

That's more than a pet passport.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The original UK issued passport was based on an EU one and contained all the same details ,but in English. As we are now out of the EU the UK based passport won't be accepted but there is no reason why an EU issued pet passport shouldn't be accepted.the next time we take the dog abroad,we will buy an EU passport,I don't want to keep paying £50 plus for an AHC which is only valid for 4 months.
how easy is it to get an EU pet passport, how long does it take? it seems like a good solution, but does anyone know the details AND have been through the process before the travel ban came into force?

just found this article

Last edited:
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

If it’s any consolation, they are no longer the record holders. :Smile:

That position is currently held by Vets4Pets, Portsmouth - who will charge you £160 + £39 for the consultation, ie a truly shocking £199 for an AHC. Each additional dog on the same AHC is £50. See post #185.

Jonathan2712

Free Member
Jan 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
£106 for 15 minutes work nice if you can get it....
Daylight robbery.
If our dog was younger (14) then we would go down the EU vet passport route.
Well, its 15 min work, plus 7 years at university, straight As at A level, straight A's at GCSE. But don't let those simple facts get in the way of your moan.

Its not the 15 min that your paying for, its the decades that it took to allow them to do that work in the first place.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, its 15 min work, plus 7 years at university, straight As at A level, straight A's at GCSE. But don't let those simple facts get in the way of your moan.

Its not the 15 min that your paying for, its the decades that it took to allow them to do that work in the first place.
It shouldn't cost any more than a standard consultation though ....

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

That really doesn't wash. the 7 years as we know is paid for over several years of practising,and that's all they are doing , practising,it's isn't supposed to be paid for at one consultation AHC. :oops:

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I think the issue isn't in the main the individual vet being greedy, yes it's a very hard profession to get into, I tried and didn't get the grades required but the problem is most vet practices in the UK are not independent, small businesses run by the vet anymore. They are owned by big groups out to make money for their backers. I have a good friend who is a vet and worked with/for one other vet who owned a small practice. A brilliant vets who didn't over charge or carry out unnecessary work but the owner died suddenly and the family sold out the practice to vetmed group and it totally changed and my friend was sacked because he didn't agree with their cutthroat methods. It's still possible to find independent vets and I'm guessing they are the ones not ripping people off for the certificate. I'm taking my custom to the eu where it still seems possible to get a fair price for a minor piece of paperwork.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
how easy is it to get an EU pet passport, how long does it take? it seems like a good solution, but does anyone know the details AND have been through the process before the travel ban came into force?

just found this article

Yes, that article was one of the ones that got me thinking about this whole EU-issued Pet Passport as a workaround. Who needs an AHC (other than to get across to Europe in the first place)?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

None of those simple facts as you have called them passed me by or got in the way of what was not a moan. It was an opinion that clearly touched a nerve with you.

Vets are not the only one's who have to study hard and be at the top of their game to get through. Lots of us have been there done that in an equally demanding career.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
how easy is it to get an EU pet passport, how long does it take?
At my vet's you walk in & they'd do it there & then
its the decades that it took to allow them to do that work in the first place.
yes & we have dozens of them qualifying every year here & jobs for only about 15% of them .the rest have either always had to go abroad or take some other job.Last one doing locum at my vets that I spoke to was joining the Guardia Civil as no work for a vet.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

I see this is your first post. Hi and welcome to the Fun!

:welcome3:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005

I spoke to our vets receptionist to find out if they had any idea of costs. They said around £120 but its not finalised. She said all the receptionists were still looking at the forms and learning the codes to fill them in.

Reactions: maz

LiquidLunch

Free Member
Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!

Actually it IS the 15 min you are paying for, I am not here to pay for someones education other than through my taxes. I pay for a service which in this case is overpriced.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes, I’d seen that link before. It’s interesting to find out what individual vets are actually charging. I don’t believe in encouraging those who are out to profiteer.
that's all of them then. including the Royal Vet College for recommending a fee of £106 per pet!
One thing i learned a long time ago is very few vets are vets because they love or care about animals

Its purely to make money out of OTHER peoples love of animals.

And in the last 10 - 20 years they must be loving it as these days people spend thousands prolonging the life of pets that a few decades ago they would have just put to sleep.

Very few poor vets.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
BUT !!!
Be warned !!!!
As lovely ( and cheap ! ) as they are, do check the vet has actually signed and stamped any paper work !!!!
Maureen did not check when we left... got to the chunnel and the twit had forgotten to stamp ours.. Had to go to ANOTHER vert in Calais and start again !!!!!!
Too many of them dont do proper checks

The one in maillerie sur mer stamped jade's passport fit to travel last October and never noticed her rabies jag had expired ....turned away at caliais and had to stay another 21+days before we could cross.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Shortage of Vets apparently, my sister has a tea rooms on a farm that lets out some buildings to small companies.
One of the buildings is a vets, that has now shut and also another one of there practices as they cannot get vets.
Plenty around that can cut a dogs nuts off or clip some toenails but this is a country vet that deals with big farm animals.
Seems a lot of more experienced vets are foreign and have gone back home!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Shortage of Vets apparently, my sister has a tea rooms on a farm that lets out some buildings to small companies.
One of the buildings is a vets, that has now shut and also another one of there practices as they cannot get vets.
Plenty around that can cut a dogs nuts off or clip some toenails but this is a country vet that deals with big farm animals.
Seems a lot of more experienced vets are foreign and have gone back home!

at a guess life is easier dealing with domestic pets and considerably less demanding than your regular Farmer.

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie

So why does a consultation only cost £18 and usually lasts about 15 minutes, they have seen a money making chance and are trying to milk it

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
The last consultation we had was £50!
Just checked, first consultation was £28 and when we went back for the follow up it was £18, I would be happy for something around the £40-£50 for an AHC but what these vets are trying to charge is nothing short of profiteering and we know they will just blame the dreaded B word. If i carry on taking my hounds on our Jollies, i will definitely be getting an EU pet passport, but at least i will only have to bite the bullet once..................

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
The last consultation we had was £50!
I should mention, the robbers also charged me £28 for a £3.50 dressing and bandage... but Sid the Sausage was happy so i just paid it! (the bill was itemised) At least Dick Turpin wore a mask

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back