Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
sorry wrong thread :doh:
No worries - it’s difficult when a few threads on similar subjects are on the go at the same time. Threads often seem to go off on a tangent - sometimes in a useful direction, sometimes not - so that it can be hard to tell them apart. :Smile:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So the moral of this story is do NOT get a Spanish EU passport for your pet, get one from a vet that does vacs that last 3 years in their country.

I can't see there being any change to EU passport being accepted in the UK - we are 'on a par' with other Part II listed countries so in order to change it for UK residents they would also have to ban it for visitors from Part II listed countries - ain't gonna happen.
I can't see how any changes made by the UK could effect UK vets. People are thinking of getting EU passports to enter the EU. I've no specific knowledge, but nothing I've seen in UK entry regulations prohibits the use of a EU passport to document the required worming procedure. Indeed as far as I can tell, a signed and stamped statement on a vets headed paper confirming the administering of an approved worming tablet to a dog with a certain chip number would suffice for UK entry.
Like i said above call me a pessimist.

If someone had said 6 yeare ago that we'd be in this position I'd be typing this in an independent scotland .

So ill continue to expect anything from the uk government and not count on anything staying the same.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Does anyone know where I can see a copy of an AHC form. The owner of my vet practice, a local Vets4Pets is due to call me to discuss AHC charges, and it would be very useful if I could see a form. The junior vet I saw tonight thought the cost would be £160, and off the record thought it would take about 45minute, approx £200+ per hour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Like i said above call me a pessimist.

If someone had said 6 yeare ago that we'd be in this position I'd be typing this in an independent scotland .

So ill continue to expect anything from the uk government and not count on anything staying the same.
Gods, Tam, your sunlit uplands are bloody dreich! :wink:

Could you do us a favour while you’re in Greece tho’? Find out the duration of the rabies jabs that they use there, and post it in the Rabies vaccination duration thread, please.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
It looks like only 3 pages to actually fill in.
I suppose there's not a lot of point in getting upset, but having looked at the AHC, there's only 4 out of 9 pages that need to be filled in, one of which appears to the the vets stamp, and the others copying straight from the vets records, assuming the dog is registered with the vet. 2 pages are blank!

I'm now thinking of trying to get a national newspaper to do a rip-off Britain article about it.:madder:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Not much experience of newspapers, any suggestions as to who to try?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Does anyone know where I can see a copy of an AHC form. The owner of my vet practice, a local Vets4Pets is due to call me to discuss AHC charges, and it would be very useful if I could see a form. The junior vet I saw tonight thought the cost would be £160, and off the record thought it would take about 45minute, approx £200+ per hour.
If they were to read the document from start to finish for a one of certificate you could justify the charges of £160 for an animal.but once in their system ,and I assume it would be ,they then only have to fill in 3 to 4 parts of pages which should only take a few minutes.
The last time we were in the EU ,the vet in Teruel,checked our dog over , stethoscope etc ,supplied a worming tablet ,because ours was the wrong type. Stamped and signed the passport and the health part and the charge was less than 5 euros.and it was done in the evening within 30 min of requesting.
UK vets are ripping us off.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Cheapest option seems to be is to get a new pet passport when in europe. €15 in Portugal.

One animal health certificate covers up to 5 animals. Not sure what the rules are for showdogs.

Jaws. The first ahc to leave uk will cost you. When you're next abroad, might be cheaper to get another passport issued in europe.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheapest option seems to be is to get a new pet passport when in europe. €15 in Portugal.

One animal health certificate covers up to 5 animals. Not sure what the rules are for showdogs.

Jaws. The first ahc to leave uk will cost you. When you're next abroad, might be cheaper to get another passport issued in europe.
I am gonna be having a chat with the vet about maybe doing a deal.. He is very approachable :)
I am concerned about having to have booster jabs abroad as ( esp now ) I am not confident being able to get them done on time ( when the time comes )

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I am gonna be having a chat with the vet about maybe doing a deal.. He is very approachable :)
I am concerned about having to have booster jabs abroad as ( esp now ) I am not confident being able to get them done on time ( when the time comes )

If your vet is the cheapest at £50 I will certainly travel to Thetford to get the AHC from him.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
How about The Guardian - Consumer Champions. It was opposed to Brexit, so may be happy to take up this cause. :sneaky:
Just been looking into this and not sure it would come under their remit:

When deciding which complaints to take up, we are looking for striking cases – for example where the reader has been very badly or unfairly treated and then ignored when they later complained. We’re looking for cases that speak to other readers, so are interested in larger companies that others will have heard of. We’re also interested in significant financial losses, or at least evidence that a lot of people may have been scammed out of smaller sums.

https://www.theguardian.com/members...ions-firms-hope-well-just-go-away-but-we-dont

Having said this I’m afraid I don’t have any other suggestions to offer. 🙁

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That’s a valid point, John. However if you got say a Portuguese pet passport with the 3-year booster, you’d still be quids in even if you didn’t manage to get a subsequent booster done in the EU. The worst that would happen would be that after the 3 years you would get the booster given in the UK and would then need an AHC to get back into Europe.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
maz Martin Lewis?
That’s a possibility. He already has an article on pet travel after Br*x*t - but it’s just the usual stuff, no real insight:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/12/pets-on-hols/

There’s a bit of rumbling in the forums there, but nowhere near the standard of debate on Fun. :rofl:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6226757/cost-of-new-animal-health-certificate

A couple of points of interest from the above:

1. The RVC (which is not the same as the RCVS) were apparently quoting £93.50 for an AHC at that time, which had risen to £106.50 by the time that we got to it.

RCVS say they cannot comment, they will only get involved if a vet or nurse does not give the correct info or does not advise charge before completing treatment. Cannot speak to anyone at BVA, their website asks us to contact our local vet for details.

This was taken from a post dated 6 Jan in the above thread.

I’m just wondering if two vets birds could be killed with one stone here? Combining the two elements of extortionate charges for AHCs and the workaround of EU-issued pet passports. Would actually make more of a story - and hopefully lead to some in-depth investigation into how to achieve the latter. What do you think?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes I agree, untill someone does it that is on holiday we don't know for sure, still a good sign.

Not wanting to build peoples hope's up, but even though this issue doesn't affect us living in Spain, we feel its always been a rip off with pet passports and the ferry company / euro tunnel and some vets not all, but there are vets that make it up as they go along, we have walked out of vets in France being too expensive. 🤔

But this thread Janie found looks promising. 🙂 Bob.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
But this thread Janie found looks promising. 🙂 Bob.

Thanks for that link, Bob. Some interesting info there tho’ they do seem to think that ‘residence’ is necessary for the issue of a pet passport, when we already know from Americans and Australians (as well as the odd pioneering Funster) that this is not the case.

Somewhat more potentially disturbing tho’ is their last FAQ:

8A6BBA42-2E99-4C9E-A506-1ACDAF7EA72F.jpeg

I can see why this might be the case however I don’t recall the UK government ever warning of this. Their pet travel advice is just as follows:

83FB9D43-78BF-4AE4-8141-687D201A0274.jpeg

Nothing about you must travel directly from one EU country back to the UK. :unsure:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I had always believed that if the rabies booster was given in the UK it was valid for 3 years.
It is for a Uk animal with a UK passport.
I’m surprised that the country of origin of the Pet Passport has any bearing on the booster’s duration
In spain it is the law that rabies vaccination must be administered to cats, dogs & ferrets, every year
Ok, if you are a Spanish resident I can see that you might have to have annual rabies boosters because it is a local law or regulation. But I wouldn’t have thought that was the case otherwise
Not if it is a spanish pet passport that is being used.
You also have to remember that in spain whenever you are out with the animal you must be carrying its paperwork.
It isn't the vaccine that differs its the country
Exactly
That wouldn't be there to provide more work for vets would it?:unsure:
o law has always been yearly.18€ for rabies & 17€ the others
uk vets won't like losing money.
They won't be losing any as they do not get any now ,so any they do get from ahc's is in addition to any income they had before.(y):giggle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Somewhat more potentially disturbing tho’ is their last FAQ:

8A6BBA42-2E99-4C9E-A506-1ACDAF7EA72F.jpeg

I can see why this might be the case however I don’t recall the UK government ever warning of this.
You would think they would have suggested changing to an eu pet passport rather than all the nonsense with multiple export documents, none of which anyone is likely to obtain or even be asked for if they were stopped.

Reactions: maz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back