Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
You would think they would have suggested changing to an eu pet passport rather than all the nonsense with multiple export documents, none of which anyone is likely to obtain or even be asked for if they were stopped.
Ah, but that would be admitting that there is a sensible EU solution to a Br*x*t-induced problem. :wink:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
maz
I’m just wondering if two vets birds could be killed with one stone here? Combining the two elements of extortionate charges for AHCs and the workaround of EU-issued pet passports. Would actually make more of a story - and hopefully lead to some in-depth investigation into how to achieve the latter. What do you think?
maz, That was exactly my thinking and why I originally suggested The Guardian. I think journalists are more likely to be attracted by a juicy tale with a bit of a political twist, (although I realise that we're not supposed to mention politics and the B word on here.)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
....But, on the other hand (said she, just thinking out loud.) We think we've found a work around ie by getting EU passports for our pets. Might it not be to our advantage to just use this work around, rather than drawing attention to it, and risk 'The Powers That Be' taking a hard look at it, and closing it off? 🤔
Just a thought. :sneaky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
....But, on the other hand (said she, just thinking out loud.) We think we've found a work around ie by getting EU passports for our pets. Might it not be to our advantage to just use this work around, rather than drawing attention to it, and risk 'The Powers That Be' taking a hard look at it, and closing it off? 🤔
And a very valid thought. (y)

I suppose I tend towards wanting it confirmed that our belief is correct, and then wanting as many people as possible to know about it so that it becomes a normal practice. I have been known to veer towards the optimistic tho’. :wink:

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
at a guess life is easier dealing with domestic pets and considerably less demanding than your regular Farmer.
For many years now it has become much more difficult for "large animal" veterinary practices to enrol newly qualified vets.
A much higher percentage of those attending veterinary college these days are female and many of those are uninterested in working with farm animals and with the rough and tumble, dirt and danger that are inevitably at times involved in so doing.
Finance also are a large factor these days. Farmers cannot and will not pay exorbitant prices for veterinary treatment, if an animal isn't paying it's way, it is sold or slaughtered. That is a hard fact of life.
Domestic pets (and equines) are commonly now insured, thus treatments and operations that a few decades ago would not have been considered are now routinely carried out at truly eye-watering charges.
Often the first question a vet asks is "is the animal insured"?

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Too many of them dont do proper checks

The one in maillerie sur mer stamped jade's passport fit to travel last October and never noticed her rabies jag had expired ....turned away at caliais and had to stay another 21+days before we could cross.
Sorry Tam, that vet seemingly made a mistake but it is YOUR responsibility as the owner to know when your dogs are due their various jags and boosters.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for that link, Bob. Some interesting info there tho’ they do seem to think that ‘residence’ is necessary for the issue of a pet passport, when we already know from Americans and Australians (as well as the odd pioneering Funster) that this is not the case.

Somewhat more potentially disturbing tho’ is their last FAQ:

View attachment 461184
I can see why this might be the case however I don’t recall the UK government ever warning of this. Their pet travel advice is just as follows:

View attachment 461188

Nothing about you must travel directly from one EU country back to the UK. :unsure:
I suspect the 'confusion' in the above is that they are repatriating rather than 'holidaying', if I was in their position I'd just carry on and use the UK PP as there's no way they'd be checked anywhere else other than the EU exit border.

That was my thought too ... if we make too much noise it could backfire!

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Maybe let sleeping dogs lie? 🤣🤣

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
The owner of my vets, which is a Vets4Pets location actually called me back this morning as promised. Reading between the lines he didn't seem to happy with the V4P corporate approach to the cost of AHCs. He wouldn't be drawn on his charges, saying they hadn't been finalized yet. He did however suggest I contact

Andre Cirone

Pets Abroad UK Merrywood Farm, Almners Road, Lyne, Chertsey, KT16 0BJ (About 10mins from J11 M25)
Phone : 0800 002 9110, +44208 979 3124 and 07557 004582

Email : info@petsabroaduk.co.uk

This is a pet transport company run by an Australian who he uses as a locum sometimes. I've spoken to him and he will charge £75.00, and he can transfer any current vaccine information from an existing UK passport. Still expensive IMHO, but a lot better than some. He said he's always willing to chat on his mobile number.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry Tam, that vet seemingly made a mistake but it is YOUR responsibility as the owner to know when your dogs are due their various jags and boosters.
It is

But when im paying a vet thats authorised to do return to uk worming and animal health checks i expect them to do their job and actually check both the animal and the passport before they sign it fit to travel..

And i can guarantee the body that oversees those vets would also expect them too.

Its a bit like taking a car for a service and mot and the mechanic just signing the service book.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I'm not sure that I agree. The vet did the required worming and checked that Jade was in good health and fit to travel -what they didn't check was your paperwork.
An easy mistake for a busy person also coping with language differences. Again something as owners we need to double check rather than risk being denied entry as you were or horror of horrors end up with our beloved dog in quarantine.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oh dear, now where did I put my violin?
Not sure how to take that BUT if you're stating that you actually support the current mob and indeed the fiasco that has led us here all whilst now living in another EU country it kind of beggers belief.

I know there are quite a few on here that have done that but i didnt think you were one of them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm not sure that I agree. The vet did the required worming and checked that Jade was in good health and fit to travel -what they didn't check was your paperwork.
An easy mistake for a busy person also coping with language differences. Again something as owners we need to double check rather than risk being denied entry as you were or horror of horrors end up with our beloved dog in quarantine.
The only paperwork i have is the dogs passport ...the vaccination history is there on the passport.

The job im paying them for is to check that is in order and to sign the declaration on the passport which states .
I hereby declare the animal to be in good health and fit to travel.

If the person at the tunnel can check it surely the vet who is supposed tk be trained should check it.

Its the same as back in August when they were given rabies jags in the uk the vet there tried to tell me i would not get them back in the uk without a titre test which was absolute codswallop.

My point being that just because a professional is supposed to BE a professional dont assume they are as some dont have basic common sense.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes

Same as my thoughts the other day ...my dogs had EU passports prior to us leaving the eu and therefore should still be valid.

I can see there being loopholes closed should everyone in the uk that travels with a pet suddenly start getting eu passports for them.

At some point i see vets or customs or someone noticing this and changing it

Even if the only reason for doing so is to be awkward or make some sort of point

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It is

But when im paying a vet thats authorised to do return to uk worming and animal health checks i expect them to do their job and actually check both the animal and the passport before they sign it fit to travel..

And i can guarantee the body that oversees those vets would also expect them too.

Its a bit like taking a car for a service and mot and the mechanic just signing the service book.
No it’s not. Its like taking your car in for a service and then complaining that it doesn’t have an MOT.

They sign to declare “I hereby declare the animal to be in good health and fit to travel.”,

Do you want them to check your boat/train tickets too.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No it’s not. Its like taking your car in for a service and then complaining that it doesn’t have an MOT.

They sign to declare “I hereby declare the animal to be in good health and fit to travel.”,

Do you want them to check your boat/train tickets too.
And its people like you happy to accept poor service that lets poor service exsist.

The whole reason a vet has to check an animal prior to travel is because the system does not trust the owner to do it

Thats why the worming has to be done by the vet ....and i think rabies is a little more serious than an itchy arse.

Mot isnt required for a service however a valid rabies vaccine is required to be fit to travel between countries therfore your analogy is completely irrelevant.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
And its people like you happy to accept poor service that lets poor service exsist.

The whole reason a vet has to check an animal prior to travel is because the system does not trust the owner to do it

Thats why the worming has to be done by the vet ....and i think rabies is a little more serious than an itchy arse.

Mot isnt required for a service however a valid rabies vaccine is required to be fit to travel between countries therfore your analogy is completely irrelevant.
You are the one that need others to check your paperwork, and that makes us all have to jump through hoops to comply.

The vet checks that the animal is healthy, not that you can do paperwork or not as it was.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You are the one that need others to check your paperwork, and that makes us all have to jump through hoops to comply.

The vet checks that the animal is healthy, not that you can do paperwork or not as it was.
You obviously have trouble reading

I dont need anything checked

The law for travelling back to the uk requires a pet passport to be checked and stamped by an authorised vet

The vet checked and stamped the passport when he shouldn't have

It really is that simple.

If you are happy to pay for a service that is not done properly you go ahead

I on the other hand am not happy.

In the end i had to pay for worming and consultations twice in the space of a month due to professional incompetence.

Your desire to be pedantic is really of no interest to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure how to take that BUT if you're stating that you actually support the current mob and indeed the fiasco that has led us here all whilst now living in another EU country it kind of beggers belief.

I know there are quite a few on here that have done that but i didnt think you were one of them.
I think the violin was in relation to your comments about B....t which IMV are totally unrelated and unhelpful in relation to us trying get our vets out of/in to the UK ... however if you wish to carry on with that then I'll get our my violin too (yes I DO have one!) and me and Val can do a duet. :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Too many of them dont do proper checks

The one in maillerie sur mer stamped jade's passport fit to travel last October and never noticed her rabies jag had expired ....turned away at caliais and had to stay another 21+days before we could cross.
I'm of the view that it is your responsibility to make sure that the actual paperwork is in order, may seem harsh but no different to making sure that your own passport is valid, the vet is there to do the worming only, they actually don't need to even look at the rabies bit as it's not relevant to what they are doing so why should they be blamed for not seeing it was out of date?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You obviously have trouble reading

I dont need anything checked

The law for travelling back to the uk requires a pet passport to be checked and stamped by an authorised vet

It really is that simple.

If you are happy to pay for a service that is not done properly you go ahead

I on the other hand am not happy.

In the end i had to pay for worming and consultations twice in the space of a month due to professional incompetence.

You needed the dogs vaccine dates checked for you clearly.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They just have to confirm that the dog is the one in the passport and that the correct worming treatment has been given, nothing else.

See above.

See above.
Why is it pedantic?

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months

Tam, at the time of that vote I was living in Scotland as a "white settler" with no motorhome or thoughts of visiting, never mind moving to Spain.
Prior to divorcing I had been married to a patriotic Highlander for the teens of years. He was and still is an intelligent well educated and well read man. He did not support independence.
I am of largely Welsh blood and lived there for 20 years, in those days too, due to having an "English " accent and not speaking the language I was considered by many an "outsider" or "incomer".
Back in those days the "Welsh Nats" frequently had "house warming " parties at tbe properties of second home owners and outsiders.
The patriotic ones took pride in showing us their beautiful countryside, encouraging and helping us to learn their language and shared their music and traditions with us and helped us to integrate into their communities.
I try not to judge people but treat rhem according to how I find them.
I admire patriotism, I find it an admirable and desirable quality.
I find Nationalism devisive and undesirable and politics and politicians frequently the same way. IMO the people of this world need more than ever before to work together to find a way forward to make the world a better,safer and happier place.
To hell with B**x*t, remoaners and the rest of the assortment, let's just get on with living the best lives we can, in the world we have now.
Sorry folks, Rant over.🙂

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, at the time of that vote I was living in Scotland as a "white settler" with no motorhome or thoughts of visiting, never mind moving to Spain.
Prior to divorcing I had been married to a patriotic Highlander for the teens of years. He was and still is an intelligent well educated and well read man. He did not support independence.
I am of largely Welsh blood and lived there for 20 years, in those days too, due to having an "English " accent and not speaking the language I was considered by many an "outsider" or "incomer".
Back in those days the "Welsh Nats" frequently had "house warming " parties at tbe properties of second home owners and outsiders.
The patriotic ones took pride in showing us their beautiful countryside, encouraging and helping us to learn their language and shared their music and traditions with us and helped us to integrate into their communities.
I try not to judge people but treat rhem according to how I find them.
I admire patriotism, I find it an admirable and desirable quality.
I find Nationalism devisive and undesirable and politics and politicians frequently the same way. IMO the people of this world need more than ever before to work together to find a way forward to make the world a better,safer and happier place.
To hell with B**x*t, Remainers and the rest of the assortment, let's just get on with living the best lives we can, in the world we have now.
Sorry folks, Rant over.🙂
Again that's very easy to say when it no longer affects you. Scotland has a very valid reason for feeling betrayed. And a very valid reason to choose to go it's own way. And as Scotland has always been treated better and been more welcome in europe than it's ever been in the uk it has more chance of working together in europe. We are experts in dealing with neighbours who think they are better than us after all.

So that's my rant

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
My ex would frequently bring up Culloden and never miss a chance for a snipe at the English despite being married to me and working with several English apprentices, chosen and selected by him. of whom he was immensely proud. I guess some Scots have selective memories and are unable to forgive,forget and move on, a bit like some modern day leaders apologising for the slave trade or the Spanish amada.
It takes all sorts and fortunately we don't all think alike and different passions stir our souls.😁

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The owner of my vets, which is a Vets4Pets location actually called me back this morning as promised. Reading between the lines he didn't seem to happy with the V4P corporate approach to the cost of AHCs. He wouldn't be drawn on his charges, saying they hadn't been finalized yet. He did however suggest I contact

Andre Cirone

Pets Abroad UK Merrywood Farm, Almners Road, Lyne, Chertsey, KT16 0BJ (About 10mins from J11 M25)
Phone : 0800 002 9110, +44208 979 3124 and 07557 004582

Email : info@petsabroaduk.co.uk

This is a pet transport company run by an Australian who he uses as a locum sometimes. I've spoken to him and he will charge £75.00, and he can transfer any current vaccine information from an existing UK passport. Still expensive IMHO, but a lot better than some. He said he's always willing to chat on his mobile number.
Thanks for that, Malcolm. (y)

Unfortunately, after your post the thread descended into bickering and/or politics - those involved, please do not hijack this thread. Thank you.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
At the risk of stirring things further, which is not my intention, I was told that the 'Fitness to Travel' section of a Pet Passport was only for 'shipped' animals, e.g crated for air travel. It was/is not required for animals travelling accompanied by their owners. The subject arose because that section is one of the smallest, and consequently fills up first. So in the case discussed earlier, it needn't have been signed at all.
DISCLAIMER I have no documentary proof of this.. Eurotunnel agreed verbally that this was the case, but declined to put it in writing.
Yet another example of poorly worded and ambiguous regulations regarding pet travel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back