Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Don't want to put an unnecessary downer on this maz , but it still leaves the problem in asking a UK organization what EU entry officials will do, What I've seen so far in the UK government's interpretation of that sort of question leaves a lot to be desired, and seems to be influenced as to they are looking through pro or ant B rose closured spectacles.

I really don't know the answer other than letting a few brave souls try it first, other than that it's going back to last year, all speculation.
Ok, here’s a thought. How about we find out who we need to email in the EU and ask the question of them? Anyone any ideas on how we do this? :Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't want to put an unnecessary downer on this maz , but it still leaves the problem in asking a UK organization what EU entry officials will do, What I've seen so far in the UK government's interpretation of that sort of question leaves a lot to be desired, and seems to be influenced as to they are looking through pro or ant B rose closured spectacles.

I really don't know the answer other than letting a few brave souls try it first, other than that it's going back to last year, all speculation.
Ok, here’s a thought. How about we find out who we need to email in the EU and ask the question of them? Anyone any ideas on how we do this? :Smile:

As per my last 2 posts #148 & #149 it says that an EU issued PP or a UK issued PP (pre Brexit) will still be accepted for return to the UK - just take a printout of that.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As per my last 2 posts #148 & #149 it says that an EU issued PP or a UK issued PP (pre Brexit) will still be accepted for return to the UK - just take a printout of that.
But that info is just repetition from the UK government website - which doesn’t address emjaiuk point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Being serious I think that is dangerous. If nobody asks, nobody says no. I think if you ask officially if we can still use your clubs facilities even if we’ve left your club the only possible answer is no. I still think leaving it to the EU entry official is best, I just want somebody else to try it first😀
I’ve said from the very beginning that the EU, for the sake of their continued unity, cannot allow us to be better off outside than in with regard to our relationship with the EU.
The only thing pet owners could do would be a concerted effort via their MPs to attempt to get the UKs part II status changed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But that info is just repetition from the UK government website - which doesn’t address emjaiuk point.
Why not, he asked about whether it would be accepted on return to the UK .... are we answering the same question?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In my experience it is the ferry company staff who check pet documentation, no "officials" are involved. So to confirm what documentation is required you could ask them, the Brittany Ferries point of contact is: pettravelexpert@brittanyferries.com

Their website isn't yet up to date but it does say you can ask using the email address above.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Who employs the officials in the PP office at Calais, they only check the requirements (no eu requirements ) that the UK has for entry into the UK, surely how they got out of bed doesn't come into it.
They are employed by the ferry/tunnel companies. I’m not talking about them, I’m talking about whichever EU official is going to be responsible for checking EU entry requirements. If every T isn’t crossed and every i isn’t dotted then they are going to be open to individual interpretation. This isn’t the case with UK entry regulations, 1 hour outside the time limits for worming for example and you don’t travel.
And if you think the mood of a French customs officer doesn’t affect the way he does his job then I wish you good luck with your travels

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Being serious I think that is dangerous. If nobody asks, nobody says no. I think if you ask officially if we can still use your clubs facilities even if we’ve left your club the only possible answer is no. I still think leaving it to the EU entry official is best, I just want somebody else to try it first😀
I’ve said from the very beginning that the EU, for the sake of their continued unity, cannot allow us to be better off outside than in with regard to our relationship with the EU.
The only thing pet owners could do would be a concerted effort via their MPs to attempt to get the UKs part II status changed.
You know, I’m beginning to believe you’re just on a :reel: trip.:wink:

1. You don’t want to believe what is written on a UK government website, but neither do you want it confirmed by an EU source.

2. You’re worried that an EU entry official might have an axe to grind about Br*x*t or has had an argument with wifey, but you think it’s best that they decide anyway.

3. How are we ‘better off’ by having to obtain an EU-issued Pet Passport? Not only do we have to pay to have a perfectly good UK-issued Pet Passport replaced, we also have to be sure to get future rabies boosters in the EU. We also have to pay for an AHC to get into the EU in the first place. And don’t get me started on all that worming lunacy between GB and Ireland or Northern Ireland. :RollEyes:

4. I already have quite an issue with the UK being Part II listed instead of Part I. I have been trying to find out what the actual requirements are for a country to be Part I listed, but have so far failed - there are only so many hours in a day and my will to live tends to scamper off over the horizon. :wub: All I have managed to find so far is that the listed status is decided on by a vote of the EU Standing Committee on Plants, Animals, Food and Feed - see link to UK government Q&A below:

Broken Link Removed

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Who employs the officials in the PP office at Calais, they only check the requirements (no eu requirements ) that the UK has for entry into the UK, surely how they got out of bed doesn't come into it.
My thoughts, entirely. Surely, those checking the paperwork will have a check list of acceptable documents relating to the animals? Those documents are as listed in Minxy Girl 's post #149. The documents either comply, or they don't.

The people doing the checking will be used to looking at EU issued pet passports, which, provided they have been correctly completed by the vet, are regarded as valid documents.

I'm tending to think that, maybe, we're trying to make this more difficult than it is 🤔 . Of course, I don't want to be the one who is caught out, but some people will be returning with pets on EU passports before the end of March, and we'll be able to see how they get on. Oscar's friends and Helen Ariel will both be coming back from the Continent long before we are allowed to venture there.

At least, time is on our side.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’m sure Malcolm can speak up for himself, but he was wanting confirmation from an EU source not a UK one.
But it will be the UK who sets what is accepted or not for returning here, nothing to do with the EU.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
that is absolutely correct but emjaiuk was asking about entry to the EU not UK which is what maz was answering I believe
Actually if you read his various posts he seems to 'flip-flop' between both questions!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
But it will be the UK who sets what is accepted or not for returning here, nothing to do with the EU.
I’m getting really bored with this now. :RollEyes:

The point I was trying (and obviously failing miserably) to answer was that raised by emjaiuk :

the problem in asking a UK organization what EU entry officials will do

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just to try to clarify a bit as to what I understand the situation to be as to what is required.

Exiting the UK into mainland EU
One of these:​
  • An AHC
  • An EU PP
Returning to the UK from mainland EU
One of these:​
  • A UK PP (issued pre-Brexit)
  • An EU PP
  • An AHC
+ plus worming treatment

As many people already use the EU issued PP both to enter and leave the UK I'm not sure there is an issue if you have one of those - so do we still have questions or not?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I’m getting really bored with this now. :RollEyes:

The point I was trying (and obviously failing miserably) to answer was that raised by emjaiuk :

the problem in asking a UK organization what EU entry officials will do
I suspect me previous post may have answered that.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
My apologies if my posts have been misconstrued. Personally I have no issues or problems with returning to the UK. The UK government has always been consistent that the entry/re entry requirements to the UK have not changed. All that is different is the AHC becoming an ALTERNATIVE way of documenting compliance with those regulations. I think there is a lot of talk at cross purposes on this thread about EU entry and UK entry.
maz I truly am not fishing. As I’ve said before I really don’t want the restrictions and cost of an AHC, but do you not see that asking the EU officially is the same as saying you have made us a partII listed country, but can we act as if we’re a part I listed one?
Again, I don’t know the answer, I wish I did.

Reactions: maz
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As I’ve said before I really don’t want the restrictions and cost of an AHC, but do you not see that asking the EU officially is the same as saying you have made us a partII listed country, but can we act as if we’re a part I listed one?
No, it isn’t. :RollEyes:

Other Part II listed countries (such as USA, Australia) have long been able to use EU-issued Pet Passports to enter and return from the EU. Remember the opening post of the ‘Could this be a workaround’ thread?

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-the-eu-pet-passport-after-1-jan-2021.232314/

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My apologies if my posts have been misconstrued. Personally I have no issues or problems with returning to the UK. The UK government has always been consistent that the entry/re entry requirements to the UK have not changed. All that is different is the AHC becoming an ALTERNATIVE way of documenting compliance with those regulations. I think there is a lot of talk at cross purposes on this thread about EU entry and UK entry.
maz I truly am not fishing. As I’ve said before I really don’t want the restrictions and cost of an AHC, but do you not see that asking the EU officially is the same as saying you have made us a partII listed country, but can we act as if we’re a part I listed one?
Again, I don’t know the answer, I wish I did.
Okay ... so what exactly is the question in simple terms ... words of one syllable would likely help? At least then we stand a fighting change of answering it. :giggle:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect the EU won't be in a hurry to change our status to Part 1. They are watching us to see how far we intend to divert from EU standards. For example, there has been talk here of "Singapore on Thames" and scrapping the legislation which governs the maximum hours which can be worked each week. If these go ahead we can expect a reaction and pet travel won't be a priority on the other side of the Channel.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Okay ... so what exactly is the question in simple terms ... words of one syllable would likely help? At least then we stand a fighting change of answering it. :giggle:
OK I'll try

1.First and foremost NOTHING has changed regarding UK re-entry. In my opinion it shouldn't be part of this thread. The only relevance is that an AHC becomes an alternative way of documenting the worming procedure.

Everything below this relates to entry into the EU only.

2. Prior to 31/12/19 we were all using EU passports and the UK was an integral part of the EU regarding animal and plant health.

3. From 01/01/2020 the EU decided we should become a Part II listed country

4. The only official notification we've had from anybody is that an AHC will be required to take a dog into the EU from the UK. This AHC may have more than one pet documented on it

5. There appears to be no documented reason why a EU passport cannot be used to take a dog into the EU from the UK

From here on is my personal concerns

My own personal belief is that the EU has and will continue to make life as awkward as possible as a punishment for leaving their club, while at the same time allowing those rules that suit them, e.g. zero tariffs on most vehicle imports/exports.
Although documentary evidence has been posted on this tread regarding non EU countries being granted EU pet passports for entry into the EU, and I accept that some EU vets are prepared to issue one to UK resident dogs, I can find no official statement reading this. The concept makes no sense to me. As I understand it the idea of Pet Passports was to document a pets health and vaccination record. If that pet spends most of it's time outside the EU and outside it's control it defeats the object.
I cannot believe that if the question was asked officially the answer could be anything but no.
I am quite prepared to travel with my dogs existing Greek Passport, since nothing has been said or printed that prohibits this. I could envisage a situation where EU pet passports issued after 01/012020 to UK residents are treated differently.

I'm getting bored now, we'll just have to wait and see

LiquidLunch

Free Member
Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!
OK I'll try

1.First and foremost NOTHING has changed regarding UK re-entry. In my opinion it shouldn't be part of this thread. The only relevance is that an AHC becomes an alternative way of documenting the worming procedure.

2. Prior to 31/12/19 we were all using EU passports and the UK was an integral part of the EU regarding animal and plant health.

4. The only official notification we've had from anybody is that an AHC will be required to take a dog into the EU from the UK. This AHC may have more than one pet documented on it

5. There appears to be no documented reason why a EU passport cannot be used to take a dog into the EU from the UK

My own personal belief is that the EU has and will continue to make life as awkward as possible as a punishment for leaving their club, while at the same time allowing those rules that suit them, e.g. zero tariffs on most vehicle imports/exports.
Although documentary evidence has been posted on this tread regarding non EU countries being granted EU pet passports for entry into the EU, and I accept that some EU vets are prepared to issue one to UK resident dogs, I can find no official statement reading this. The concept makes no sense to me. As I understand it the idea of Pet Passports was to document a pets health and vaccination record. If that pet spends most of it's time outside the EU and outside it's control it defeats the object.
I cannot believe that if the question was asked officially the answer could be anything but no.
I am quite prepared to travel with my dogs existing Greek Passport, since nothing has been said or printed that prohibits this. I could envisage a situation where EU pet passports issued after 01/012020 to UK residents are treated differently.

So what was your Question????

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OK I'll try

Ah, so we're working on the principle that you think the EU officials will be purposely trying to make trouble for us? :rolleyes: No wonder we couldn't answer your query specifically!

As for:

As I understand it the idea of Pet Passports was to document a pets health and vaccination record. If that pet spends most of it's time outside the EU and outside it's control it defeats the object.
What's the problem? The rabies vac is only required for return to the UK not for going into the EU, just as it always was. We only have to have the AHC now because the UK issued PPs aren't valid anymore, there have been no changes made by the UK regarding EU passports for bringing/taking dogs into/out of the UK.

For information the vet check before returning to the UK is/was only for worming treatment, the 'health certification' part of the PP was never needed although some vets insisted on filling it in but it was never ever checked by the PP control. Is it this that is confusing you?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I have already done that and will update when I receive a reply (they quote 3 days!) The EU have quite a useful website, you can choose your language and explore a variety of topics.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have already done that and will update when I receive a reply (they quote 3 days!) The EU have quite a useful website, you can choose your language and explore a variety of topics.

It will be very interesting to hear what they say. Thank you. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Just to be sure and save further 'confusion' ... can you please give us details of exactly what you've asked or an extract from your query itself ...

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Wading through the website provided by Nigel P I have found this page:

Non-commercial movement from non-EU countries

Near the bottom of the page under the heading ‘Exceptions’ there is this:

557459FC-0707-401C-9D07-2491283F0F43.jpeg

Now this seems rather a weird way of putting it, but does it refer to a Pet Passport issued in the EU before you leave to go home again?

Can anyone else interpret what it actually means?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back