Actual vet charges for Animal Health Certificates across UK (1 Viewer)

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
If anyone is going to issue EU passports to UK dogs it would be him. However, I am still concerned about the acceptance of an EU passport for a UK resident dog, I can easily see the French for example querying it. One of my dogs already has an EU (Greek) passport so I'm doubly concerned.
AFAIK the purpose of pet passports is to certify the animal is vaccinated against specified diseases. Nobody cares where the animal is "resident", it isn't a resident, or a citizen, of any country. Anyone could take any dog to a vet in the EU, get it vaccinated etc and get a passport for it. I'm sure that EU vets would happily issue a passport, copying over all the vaccination records etc into the new passport, for a fee. Why wouldn't they? As I say, nobody gives a monkey's where it lives or where it's been as long as its healthy and not diseased. Which is why you can find an abandoned dog, take it to a vet and get a passport to bring it to the UK.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Further to my last, for example we adopted a dog in portugal, portugese pet passport, got new passport at Calais because the portugese one hadn't been signed...french vet just copied it over. Dog then lives in UK with us with French passport. Never questioned by any UK vet. Papers have never been looked at on leaving uk.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Further to my last, for example we adopted a dog in portugal, portugese pet passport, got new passport at Calais because the portugese one hadn't been signed...french vet just copied it over. Dog then lives in UK with us with French passport. Never questioned by any UK vet. Papers have never been looked at on leaving uk.
I assume that the rabbies booster has to be done by a EU vet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
AFAIK the purpose of pet passports is to certify the animal is vaccinated against specified diseases. Nobody cares where the animal is "resident", it isn't a resident, or a citizen, of any country. Anyone could take any dog to a vet in the EU, get it vaccinated etc and get a passport for it. I'm sure that EU vets would happily issue a passport, copying over all the vaccination records etc into the new passport, for a fee. Why wouldn't they? As I say, nobody gives a monkey's where it lives or where it's been as long as its healthy and not diseased. Which is why you can find an abandoned dog, take it to a vet and get a passport to bring it to the UK.
One of our frequent traveler dogs has a Greek passport and never been a problem, but why should it for internal EU travel? HOWEVER, we have never been in a position where we wanted to use it to enter the EU from a part II listed country. I don't think anybody in their right mind would think that dogs from the UK would pose a risk, but you could say the same about meat sandwiches! It will only take one EU border entry official who's got out of bed the wrong side, or who holds a grudge about the UK leaving to ruin a holiday! I really, really don't want to go down the AHC route, but until there's absolute clarity about EU issued passports it will probably be cheap at the price.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That was whilst we were part of the EU though ... we don't know for sure what the situation is NOW ... hence the questions being asked ... we need to know for certain and no-one has yet has been able to categorically say one way or the other.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
That's exactly what the vet in Portugal told us when we transferred to an eu passport recently.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's exactly what the vet in Portugal told us when we transferred to an eu passport recently.
I'm not doubting for one minute what the Portugal vet told you but this needs to be confirmed by the govt officials who allow you to bring them into UK which I don't think anyone has yet.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I assume that they have both passports now,UK and EU so are doubly covered,certainly the EU passport was cheaper that the AHC which is only valid for 4 months anyway

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
I assume that the rabbies booster has to be done by a EU vet
No....when in UK we realised the rabies had expired 3 days before we were due to travel to EU. Took dog to uk vet, vet did jab, recorded on french passport, and off we went.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
No....when in UK we realised the rabies had expired 3 days before we were due to travel to EU. Took dog to uk vet, vet did jab, recorded on french passport, and off we went.
But you won’t be able to use a UK (or at least GB) vet for rabies boosters in the future, as they are no longer EU-authorised.

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
Which was fine last year as we were part of the EU and the vets over here were EU authorised vets which as of the 1st January 2021 they are not. An EU pet passport is only allowed to be annotated by an EU vet.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
But you won’t be able to use a UK (or at least GB) vet for rabies boosters in the future, as they are no longer EU-authorised.
Ah, ok I didn't know that. No prob for us as we now settled in Portugal. If we have to return to UK in the future we'll leave her here and get a new dog in UK 🤣🤣🤣

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010

'For info for dog owners traveling to and from Europe. Since jan 1st you are required to obtain a AHC from your vet to travel to Europe and this only lasts 4 months and some prices are upwards of £100 each time. I have spoken to The pet travel helpline which is a government linked organisation (0370 241 1710) and they have confirmed if while you are in Europe and obtain a European pet passport for your dog then you will no longer need a AHC to travel back and forth from UK to europe. We are visiting a vet tomorrow in Portugal to obtain a European pet passport, quoted cost is €15. They transfer all info from current passport into a new one and another bonus is the restrictions of the AHC of 4 months is no longer a problem. Hope this helps make future pet travel a little easier.'

The above is a copy of a post made on the Hymer Owners' Group Facebook page, three days ago. If anyone is worried about going down this route, a call to the Pet Travel Helpline may help to put their mind at rest.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
'For info for dog owners traveling to and from Europe. Since jan 1st you are required to obtain a AHC from your vet to travel to Europe and this only lasts 4 months and some prices are upwards of £100 each time. I have spoken to The pet travel helpline which is a government linked organisation (0370 241 1710) and they have confirmed if while you are in Europe and obtain a European pet passport for your dog then you will no longer need a AHC to travel back and forth from UK to europe. We are visiting a vet tomorrow in Portugal to obtain a European pet passport, quoted cost is €15. They transfer all info from current passport into a new one and another bonus is the restrictions of the AHC of 4 months is no longer a problem. Hope this helps make future pet travel a little easier.'

The above is a copy of a post made on the Hymer Owners' Group Facebook page, three days ago. If anyone is worried about going down this route, a call to the Pet Travel Helpline may help to put their mind at rest.
Excellent! Thank you for posting that. (y)

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning

Just heard from some friends who are currently in the Algarve in Portugal (who incidently own a Hymer - so maybe that's where they got the info from?) they have been and got a European pet passport for their dog whilst they are there.

It's certainly on our "must do" list once we can travel to Europe (y)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
^^This is what I shall be doing if I'm ever allowed into France!!!! UK PP for returning? But should the worming treatment prior to crossing be recorded in the UK or both passports?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
^^This is what I shall be doing if I'm ever allowed into France!!!! UK PP for returning? But should the worming treatment prior to crossing be recorded in the UK or both passports?
I believe ( but there is so much info now its getting confusing! ) you will not need the UK passport if the EU passport is upto date. worming recorded in the passport used to return to the UK.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Unless you are already in the EU and can get a Pet Passport while you are there, you will need an Animal Health Certificate to travel into the EU for the first time after 1 Jan. Once you are in the EU, get yourself an EU-issued Pet Passport and just use that from then on. Consign your original UK-issued Pet Passport to the back of a drawer. :Smile:

LiquidLunch

Free Member
Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!

That sounds like a good idea but as a UK resident will it be accepted at the Tunnel on return????

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
That seems too good to be true. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I think I should come out of retirement and become a vet! The AHC is 9 pages long, one of which is a straight replacement for the existing owner/keeper non-commercial transport form, another five pages have a single entry for the cert number, one page is a pro-forma for the vets address which simply needs a signature and a date adding at the point of examination. That leaves two pages to fill in which are all boxes for numbers/dates/times/brands etc. If it took me longer than 10 minutes I would be embarrassed, especially as it is a fillable pdf which is simply a cut and paste from existing data rather than any handwriting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think I should come out of retirement and become a vet! The AHC is 9 pages long, one of which is a straight replacement for the existing owner/keeper non-commercial transport form, another five pages have a single entry for the cert number, one page is a pro-forma for the vets address which simply needs a signature and a date adding at the point of examination. That leaves two pages to fill in which are all boxes for numbers/dates/times/brands etc. If it took me longer than 10 minutes I would be embarrassed, especially as it is a fillable pdf which is simply a cut and paste from existing data rather than any handwriting.
Could be a nice little 'business' opportunity for you there :giggle: ... I wonder how long it will be before we get 'virtual' vets to view pets on video and then email or post the AHC out ...

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That sounds like a good idea but as a UK resident will it be accepted at the Tunnel on return????
Can I suggest maybe emailing the Pet Travel Helpline at pettravel@apha.gov.uk ? And then print out their reply and carry it with you.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Could be a nice little 'business' opportunity for you there :giggle: ... I wonder how long it will be before we get 'virtual' vets to view pets on video and then email or post the AHC out ...
How would they check the chip virtually or examine the dog? Our vet took more than 10 minutes to fill out Reuben’s passport. He double checked every stage against the instructions, which pleased us as we have seen people turned back because passports have not been properly completed, eg no initial in the vet’s stamp.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Can I suggest maybe emailing the Pet Travel Helpline at pettravel@apha.gov.uk ? And then print out their reply and carry it with you.
Don't want to put an unnecessary downer on this maz , but it still leaves the problem in asking a UK organization what EU entry officials will do, What I've seen so far in the UK government's interpretation of that sort of question leaves a lot to be desired, and seems to be influenced as to they are looking through pro or ant B rose closured spectacles.

I really don't know the answer other than letting a few brave souls try it first, other than that it's going back to last year, all speculation.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Just heard from some friends who are currently in the Algarve in Portugal (who incidently own a Hymer - so maybe that's where they got the info from?) they have been and got a European pet passport for their dog whilst they are there.

It's certainly on our "must do" list once we can travel to Europe (y)
These friends intend travelling back to the UK in March (before their 90 days are up) we'll report back when we know some more. They didn't have to give up the original pet passport issued in the UK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How would they check the chip virtually or examine the dog? Our vet took more than 10 minutes to fill out Reuben’s passport. He double checked every stage against the instructions, which pleased us as we have seen people turned back because passports have not been properly completed, eg no initial in the vet’s stamp.
I never said it would be 'legal' ... just that you can be sure someone tries it at some point! More than likely selling their service on Ebay like every other scammer does.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
These friends intend travelling back to the UK in March (before their 90 days are up) we'll report back when we know some more. They didn't have to give up the original pet passport issued in the UK
I don't see that as a problem as the UK PP isn't recognised for going OUT of the UK to the EU, but on the return the UK border officials should still accept it:

Pet travel documents​

Your pet must have one of the following documents when entering or returning to GB:
  • an EU pet passport issued in the EU (or in GB if issued before 1 January 2021), or a pet passport from another Part 1 listed third country
  • the animal health certificate (AHC) issued in GB used to travel to the EU – which you can use to re-enter GB for up to 4 months after it was issued
  • a GB pet health certificate (for travel into GB only)

Pet travel: to and from Great Britain - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As per my above post if they also keep their UK PP they can use that to return to the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back