A class v Campervan (1 Viewer)

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
With the lockdown arriving during our viewing of potential / suitable motor homes everything has obviously come to a standstill, so still no motorhome. We had norrowed down our extensive search to an A class European built motorhome, probably a Pilote or a Burstner.
Anyway with time on my hands and thinking ahead I turned my research to planning trips etc. Part of this research was reading many articles in well know motorhome magazines. This has lead me back again thinking about the suitability of an A class. Many of the magazine articles describe wonderful journeys to secluded parts of Europe and the UK. Most of these are by people travelling in various PVC or at least sub 6m vehicles.
So to my question; are there members out there driving A class vehicles happily on narrow roads, up mountains, down in to secluded bays etc etc I think you get my drift. Maybe I am worrying too much, or maybe I have to rethink my choice of vehicle.
All opinions and hearing positive experiences would be most welcome.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have a PVC and we are very happy with it but if we ever changed it one of the smaller A Class would be given serious consideration. Not for the storage space particularly, although room for a spare cassette or two would be nice. The only real disadvantage for us in our PVC are the small tanks. A MH where we could spend a few days without services would be an improvement over what we can manage at the moment, which is being restricted to only comfortably managing one night at a time. We've got used to this but sometimes when we have found a nice remote spot it would have been nice to have stayed more than one night. ?

DBK has some valid points there. We have 2 cassettes(have tought of a 3rd like our friends) and enough water and waste tank capacity that we can manage 6-7 days wild.

If you want to wild and enjoy mountain tops it is the way to go.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Best thing I have ever bought, after the solar panel, was a second cassette.
I can easily do two weeks self sufficient if travelling on my own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have the Exsis and I can’t disagree that space is a bit tight with regards to headroom.
Our last van was an Exsis didn't find the headroom a problem, I suppose it was a bit tight under the drop down bed. Our current Dynamic Line does have a couple more inches.
Biggest problem we had with Exsis was the small 100 Lt water tank also it was behind the rear axle.

Like others always carry a spare cassette.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have a Pilote 600l, width with mirrors 2.7 m or 8'11" old money, and I do like the width of it when we are parked up but it can be a little nerve wracking at times on B roads, the mirrors are elephant ear type sited high up on the body and hanging down, brilliant view but almost exactly the wrong height for artics etc.
I am steeled for the inevitable smack one day, never had this concern on my previous two A class Hymers where the mirrors were lower mounted.
Pluses and minuses to all things, whatever you choose enjoy (y)
We're undecided about the large top mounted mirrors on our Carthago as they are higher so more in the 'target area' for lorries etc, however when we had the PVC with the lower mounted mirrors they were most definitely more in 'jeopardy' from white van etc man! The visibility from the top ones is far superior though.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We're undecided about the large top mounted mirrors on our Carthago as they are higher so more in the 'target area' for lorries etc, however when we had the PVC with the lower mounted mirrors they were most definitely more in 'jeopardy' from white van etc man! The visibility from the top ones is far superior though.
Totally agree, can be a bit nerve wrecking in the UK where most of the HGV's have big stainless steel guards over the mirrors. Than goodness we hardly do any miles in the UK.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Totally agree, can be a bit nerve wrecking in the UK where most of the HGV's have big stainless steel guards over the mirrors. Than goodness we hardly do any miles in the UK.
But generally hgvs tend to be less aggressively driven than white vans, so i think i would prefer to take my chances with my higher mirrors.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Best thing I have ever bought, after the solar panel, was a second cassette.
I can easily do two weeks self sufficient if travelling on my own.
Good advice TUCANO.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Our last van was an Exsis didn't find the headroom a problem, I suppose it was a bit tight under the drop down bed. Our current Dynamic Line does have a couple more inches.
Biggest problem we had with Exsis was the small 100 Lt water tank also it was behind the rear axle.

Thanks Lenny HB, which model Exsis did you have? Have looked at the I 474 which we felt a bit small, but not the I 588 which on paper looks to fit the bill. Perhaps you could give us your opinion please

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We bought a (Brand new) Burstner Iexo 736 A Class after having had all C class the last being an Elddis 255 for 7 years.
the A class counting the mirrors is 20 mm narrower and at 7.5 mar long only 100 mm longer. All I would suggest you do your research carefully. We have found our Burstner of poor construction bit literally falling to bit items not working, it had apparently as later discovered accident damage that had been poorly repaired. The most uncomfortable bed in any motorhome I have ever owned and we’ve had a few. Moving to new after 7 years you would expect better equipment. The Fridge freezer is taller but the frozen compartment pitafull in size yet a large fridge but you can only keep food for so long in a fridge.
The three ringed hob the rings are so close together that in practise you can only get two pans on. The oven size is impractable for most meals, storage space is small other than the garage, lots of fancy led lighting that looks good in the showroom but totally over the top in every day use. The side settees again are uncomfortable with only minimum padding. Most disappointed in such an expensive van.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny HB, which model Exsis did you have? Have looked at the I 474 which we felt a bit small, but not the I 588 which on paper looks to fit the bill. Perhaps you could give us your opinion please
Had the i-678 was 7.2m latest ones are 7.5m. bought it at 3500 kg, upgraded it to 3850 but were still on the limit on the rear axle. If we had kept I would have upgraded the rear axle (about £2.5K to do).
I think on the 2020 Exsis they have dropped the Al-Ko chassis, now on a Fiat chassis, not absolutely sure.

The 474 could be run at 3500kg, the 580 would be pushing it to run at 3500kg unless you travel very light.
The only advantage the 580 has is a bigger shower and without a swing wall and a narrow tall wardrobe. The bathroom comes at a cost very narrow pinch point between lounge & washroom on the 580, that would put me off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Had the i-678 was 7.2m latest ones are 7.5m. bought it at 3500 kg, upgraded it to 3850 but were still on the limit on the rear axle. If we had kept I would have upgraded the rear axle (about £2.5K to do).
I think on the 2020 Exsis they have dropped the Al-Ko chassis, now on a Fiat chassis, not absolutely sure.

The 474 could be run at 3500kg, the 580 would be pushing it to run at 3500kg unless you travel very light.
The only advantage the 580 has is a bigger shower and without a swing wall and a narrow tall wardrobe. The bathroom comes at a cost very narrow pinch point between lounge & washroom on the 580, that would put me off.
I am stuck with 3500kg unfortunately due to the DVLA being awkward (I am diabetic). Which ever MH we choose will be a compromise for the payload and so will need to keep looking!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
We bought a (Brand new) Burstner Iexo 736 A Class after having had all C class the last being an Elddis 255 for 7 years.
the A class counting the mirrors is 20 mm narrower and at 7.5 mar long only 100 mm longer. All I would suggest you do your research carefully. We have found our Burstner of poor construction bit literally falling to bit items not working, it had apparently as later discovered accident damage that had been poorly repaired. The most uncomfortable bed in any motorhome I have ever owned and we’ve had a few. Moving to new after 7 years you would expect better equipment. The Fridge freezer is taller but the frozen compartment pitafull in size yet a large fridge but you can only keep food for so long in a fridge.
The three ringed hob the rings are so close together that in practise you can only get two pans on. The oven size is impractable for most meals, storage space is small other than the garage, lots of fancy led lighting that looks good in the showroom but totally over the top in every day use. The side settees again are uncomfortable with only minimum padding. Most disappointed in such an expensive van.
Sorry to hear about your issues with your MH. Reading many reports over the last 12 months while researching I am surprised about your problems as most reports are positive. For us we will keep looking and asking for opinions.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Good points, manufacturers should concentrate on build quality first instead of finishing touches like led lights etc

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years

The water tank is small, we carry an extra 40l in the garage. Does 4 of us for three days with the spare cassette too.

Not had an issue with rear axle weight and have 100kg spare on the 3500kg all up weight. We do travel light though as we are limited to 3500kg.

We don’t find the headroom an issue either.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On our Carthago we opted to leave out the over cab bed, extra cupboards and saved 40kg weight. We don’t need headroom, both being nicely under tall, but it probably improves it and makes the space fell airier.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The water tank is small, we carry an extra 40l in the garage. Does 4 of us for three days with the spare cassette too.

Not had an issue with rear axle weight and have 100kg spare on the 3500kg all up weight. We do travel light though as we are limited to 3500kg.

We don’t find the headroom an issue either.
I used to carry 40lt in the garage that's what put us on the limit together with the e-bikes and the washing machine.
Which model have you got?

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I used to carry 40lt in the garage that's what put us on the limit together with the e-bikes and the washing machine.
Which model have you got?

It's a 578, bit shorter I believe than the 678. Checked with water and bikes on board and had over 100kg spare. Not much spare with all four of us in there mind.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Can't believe you travel 4 up at 3500kg, just two of us we were over that's why we uprated it.

Don't get me wrong, it's water or bikes, not both. We weighed it with just me in it and were 40KG under so had to either leave the bikes or water to carry the family.

How people manage with a 6 berth at 3500KG is a mystery!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can't believe you travel 4 up at 3500kg, just two of us we were over that's why we uprated it.
Me too ... even our Carthago's weight would have been too tight for just the 2 of us!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't get me wrong, it's water or bikes, not both. We weighed it with just me in it and were 40KG under so had to either leave the bikes or water to carry the family.

How people manage with a 6 berth at 3500KG is a mystery!
Was that 40kg spare overall or 40kg on the rear axle?

Upvote 0

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Clearly, everyone will have their own preferences and of course it's a personal choice.

The difference in width between a typical A-class (or standard coachbuilt ie C-class) and a panel van conversion is about a foot.

It might not sound much (only 6 inches each side), but having had 2 coachbuilts (2.3m wide) and a pvc (2.05m wide), Mrs mikebeaches and I much prefer the agility of the pvc, even though ours is 6.4m long. It is just so relaxing to drive down country roads and through villages (not to mention easier parking), compared to previous coachbuilts.

Each to their own, however. (y)
Hi Mike, sorry to trouble you. We sold our AClass last year and looking for a pvc for same reasons you stated , ie country roads and villages in Europe. We have a shortlist of 3 . Adria twin 640 slb, Cathago gt and globecar vans . Do you have any advice . Thanks for any help. Danny

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Mike, sorry to trouble you. We sold our AClass last year and looking for a pvc for same reasons you stated , ie country roads and villages in Europe. We have a shortlist of 3 . Adria twin 640 slb, Cathago gt and globecar vans . Do you have any advice . Thanks for any help. Danny
Hi! We looked at an Adria 640 and a Globecar Campscout, both of which are good vans. I think we may have briefly considered a Cathago, but it didn't make it on to our shortlist. Our decision was finely balanced, but in the end we decided the Rapido (V68) worked best for us. The price was right, we liked the interior and we were able to get one with the comfortmatic gearbox that we really wanted. We got it new in summer 2016. Also, we'd had an old Rapido as our very first van.

Each of our previous coachbuilts had a 'French' longitudinal fixed double bed, which was OK, but we liked the idea of fixed twin singles. Saves one of us feeling trapped up against the side of the van. But perhaps more importantly, the a twin bed arrangement facilitates nocturnal visits to the bathroom without disturbing each other. ;)

The V68 has a decent 135 litre 3-way fridge, which Mrs mikebeaches appreciates a lot. There's plenty of flexible storage, so we can get our reclining chairs, outdoor table, 2 sets of ramps, 2 hook-up cables, windbreaks, sun umbrellas and all the other paraphernalia we carry around in the boot at the back.

The pvc is much more sure-footed at speed compared to the coachbuilts - think white van man flashing past you on the motorway when you're in a car at 70 mph! Not suggesting we drive it at breakneck speeds or exceed any limits, but it does help on longer journeys ie to South of France, or Spain. In the previous vans we'd typically cruised at around 55-60 mph, whereas in the pvc it's more likely to be 65-70 mph. It's more relaxing to drive, especially on normal roads and country lanes. It's easier to park too.

Initially, Mrs mikebeaches didn't care for the idea of a 'van' rather than a 'proper motorhome', as she saw it. But now she wouldn't consider going back to a coachbuilt. And she's much happier driving the pvc - we take it in turns, which I appreciate. One of the things we really like when we travel to warmer climes is the big side door that really lets the outside in. And if it's especially hot, a lovely breeze comes through when the rear barn doors are also opened.

Yes, you have to get into the mindset of living with a little less space, if you've been used to a bigger van. But it definitely works for us.

If there's anything specific you think I can help with, just ask.

Good luck whatever you decide. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Have to say I like A class and PVCs, we have had both, current one an A class, sheer storage of the A class is incredible, large garage for bikes, exterior lockers, full width ski locker every compartment and locker is fully heated including toilet locker.

Alde heating, twin rear wheel, large separate shower, all in 6.48 metres

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Having owned and used everything from a small 2 berth panel van through all size coachbuilt vans and A class up to 8.5m I can very honestly say that they all have their plus and minus sides. These days we go for comfort over small and nimble every time. On a wet day the walls seem to shrink in on you and tempers get frayed easily. At least with a big comfortable van there is space to escape each other

Getting to out of the way places with a big van, it is down to confidence of the driver as much as pinch points. A good truckers satnav is essential or a truckers road atlas, better still both

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back