A class v Campervan (1 Viewer)

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
With the lockdown arriving during our viewing of potential / suitable motor homes everything has obviously come to a standstill, so still no motorhome. We had norrowed down our extensive search to an A class European built motorhome, probably a Pilote or a Burstner.
Anyway with time on my hands and thinking ahead I turned my research to planning trips etc. Part of this research was reading many articles in well know motorhome magazines. This has lead me back again thinking about the suitability of an A class. Many of the magazine articles describe wonderful journeys to secluded parts of Europe and the UK. Most of these are by people travelling in various PVC or at least sub 6m vehicles.
So to my question; are there members out there driving A class vehicles happily on narrow roads, up mountains, down in to secluded bays etc etc I think you get my drift. Maybe I am worrying too much, or maybe I have to rethink my choice of vehicle.
All opinions and hearing positive experiences would be most welcome.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Another vote here for the Exsis-I578, 3500k and just over 700k payload so I would also recommend the 588 that that you've looked at (wouldn't buy from Travelworld again tho, their aftersales has been dreadful).

The size has never caused an issue and as everyone has said, its all about personal choice - external size versus interior comfort/storage.

Good luck with search.

Terry

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I forgot to add the advice I was once given about camping in a smaller van.... It is like being in a prison cell and you very soon get annoyed at the habbits of your cell mate. In fact a prison cell has more space

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
We had a pvc which for mobility was excellent , we know have a coach built to see more of Europe, it can get a bit tight in Devon or Cornwall, just have to plan a bit better. My wife prefers the pvc for Cornwall but I prefer the comfort and size of the coach built. If I was you I would hire them both before a big purchase that way you will try before you buy.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there. We have had large family (7m+) Motorhomes for many years. Our latest is an A Class, and we have never had trouble with getting to where we want to be. We have needed to ‘rest’ on the mountain roads in the alps to lest the brakes cool, and careful looking ahead on hairpins is always advised. Remember, your van is based on a light commercial- so if your local builder can get there, so can we. Just remember to read the signs and be polite.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Hi Mike, sorry to trouble you. We sold our AClass last year and looking for a pvc for same reasons you stated , ie country roads and villages in Europe. We have a shortlist of 3 . Adria twin 640 slb, Cathago gt and globecar vans . Do you have any advice . Thanks for any help. Danny
We settled on the Cathago after looking at loads. Rear bed means loads of storage. As others have said its a breeze to drive, and having come from Caravans we have lost some comfort but worth it. But we won’t miss the construction issues that we have had with every new caravan. Having a metal box is very reassuring.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
We’ve had A class Hymers for the past 10 years and have travelled over much of Europe and also, Morocco - without any difficulties. As an ex truck driver I think it is more to do with confidence and observing the road ahead. If you get into a tight situation with say, a truck coming along a narrow road, it is better to either slow right down or even stop than risk damage... don’t be macho about it! Of course, there may be the odd time when you have to reverse back or even perform a U turn if unforeseen difficulties arise... no problem! We are not in a rush!

With regard to PVC or A class... for the past year we have really considered downsizing - primarily because I am the wrong end of 70! Thinking ahead, I thought that when we next changed it would make sense to go for a PVC to avoid any possible future licence issues. With that in mind, we hired a 7m long Mercedes PVC in N Z in Jan/Feb this year and, although it was a lovely vehicle and was great to drive... we almost couldn’t wait for our 5 weeks to finish. We hated it! (The van, that is!). It was such a shame but it solved an issue for us and we have now ordered a coach built that is just under 7m and is over 3.5t and will prefer to enjoy whatever time we have in it - rather than putting up with the cramped and inconvenient space of a PVC. We appreciate that everyone has a different opinion and has different circumstances. Although I am approaching 80, I am still fit and agile and walk and cycle every day so, that was not an issue with the PVC... it simply just felt a very untidy, limited and inconvenient way to camp. I ought to mention that we go to Southern Europe every winter for at least 4 months and (Brexit allowing) may continue to do so. We went for a coach built this time because we wanted a certain layout and also, the new 9 speed auto gearbox that was in our price range. Horses for courses!

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 1999
We started with a small hi-top about 20 years ago. 11 years ago we decided we wanted more space so purchased a large 7.3 m motorhome with a large garage. If I'm being honest, we ended up filling it with anything we 'might need someday'. Earlier this year we purchased a new smaller 'pop-up' campervan. The width difference isn't really a major factor, but it was more the length and height reductions which influenced us. We always found it very difficult to park legally near towns and many attractions, as there are so few motorhome parking spaces around. Also, having driven Scotland's many single-track roads for many years, the recent (pre-covid) increase in folk driving the NC500 meant that often we were struggling to find room in a passing place if another vehicle was already there. Therefore the length issue was our main reason for going smaller. As for the height reduction from over 3m to 2m, there are bonuses in that we can now access many forestry commission car parks and beauty-spots with 2m height barriers. Oh, and I almost forgot, we now get 40% more mpg as we are much more aerodynamic. You need to decide what it is that you want a motorhome / campervan for, as it is always a matter of compromise. Our new camper may be smaller, but it still has a cassette toilet and shower.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We’ve had A class Hymers for the past 10 years and have travelled over much of Europe and also, Morocco - without any difficulties. As an ex truck driver I think it is more to do with confidence and observing the road ahead. If you get into a tight situation with say, a truck coming along a narrow road, it is better to either slow right down or even stop than risk damage... don’t be macho about it! Of course, there may be the odd time when you have to reverse back or even perform a U turn if unforeseen difficulties arise... no problem! We are not in a rush!

With regard to PVC or A class... for the past year we have really considered downsizing - primarily because I am the wrong end of 70! Thinking ahead, I thought that when we next changed it would make sense to go for a PVC to avoid any possible future licence issues. With that in mind, we hired a 7m long Mercedes PVC in N Z in Jan/Feb this year and, although it was a lovely vehicle and was great to drive... we almost couldn’t wait for our 5 weeks to finish. We hated it! (The van, that is!). It was such a shame but it solved an issue for us and we have now ordered a coach built that is just under 7m and is over 3.5t and will prefer to enjoy whatever time we have in it - rather than putting up with the cramped and inconvenient space of a PVC. We appreciate that everyone has a different opinion and has different circumstances. Although I am approaching 80, I am still fit and agile and walk and cycle every day so, that was not an issue with the PVC... it simply just felt a very untidy, limited and inconvenient way to camp. I ought to mention that we go to Southern Europe every winter for at least 4 months and (Brexit allowing) may continue to do so. We went for a coach built this time because we wanted a certain layout and also, the new 9 speed auto gearbox that was in our price range. Horses for courses!

But that sounds like it had also something to do with layout, the PVC you couldn't wait to hand back was longer than the coach built.

Upvote 0

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
We are an 8.4m A class...spent months at a time all over Spain & Portugal...never had an issue...yes the satnav has twice tried to take us down roads I wouldn't have gone down by choice..though we still made it...also we thought we were really big till we got over there...its then you realise we are actually pretty average..when we first bought her I admit I was a little apprehensive at driving her but within a few days all was fine and I actually look forward to driving it now....and one thing you can never beat....extra space..

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We drive our A Class 7.50 metre MH down through France and over the Pyrenees, into Spain.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your profile says 'van conversion' so what have you got?

We love the driveability and manoeuvrability of a PVC which is why we've had three and ONLY changed to our A-class due to it's being virtually the same size (2.12m wide instead of 2.05m and 6.41m long instead of 6.36m), if we hadn't been able to get an A-class of this size we would have stayed with the PVC.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Cazpaul. Yes, I understand that but it was the most common layout of twin bench seats at the rear that could only be converted to a longtitudanal bed layout... my feet were in the passageway because bed too short. I am only 5.11 tall. Narrow passage with kitchen one side and toilet/shower on the other with bench seat dinette behind the driver. Everything seemed so cramped and banged head and nearly broke specs numerous times. Only one person could use the passageway at a time. Don’t mention the shower... don’t mention storage either! We are mid size couple of average weight. Basically, just not for us but I can well understand why some people prefer them. We really wanted one and have looked at all or most of them at NEC numerous times. I think the narrowness was/is the real culprit! We would have been delighted had it or, any similar PVC suited but.....

A couple of years ago we looked at a new Hymer Exsis in Germany...thinking it might be a good van to downsize to and even then we couldn’t believe how narrow and cramped it seemed, which, at the time, stalled anymore thoughts of downsizing. But, as the years roll by and with the age counter revving up... thought we would review the situation... Will see how we feel in a few more years....??

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your profile says 'van conversion' so what have you got?
Scratch that, after doing some 'detective work' I've found out that you have a Benimar Mileo 202 at 2.31m wide which is the problem we had when we got a Chausson Flash 04 at 2.3m wide, the width was the issue and it was after owning it that we got our first camper (Autocruise Accent).

Upvote 0

Landscapes

Free Member
Apr 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
We spent so long deciding what to buy, and something that suited our specific needs. We looked at a Burstner and were ready to buy until the better half realised she couldn’t reach the clutch pedal on the rare occasions when I might ask her to drive.
In the end we bought a 2018 T6 new campervan conversion. So motorhome to campervan. Clearly compromise on space had to be made. But for what we need right now, we made exactly the right choice. We can drive the VW where we want. We can park it anywhere that a car would fit (as keen photographers a must to be able to park, step outside at sunrise and snap away), we can park in supermarket car parks, even those with a height barrier. We get between 40-45 mpg. We have a drive away awning if we want to stay somewhere for a few days.
Yes it’s small and we seem to be always having to move things to get what we want from cupboards etc. We have to make the two beds up and pop up the roof. We don’t have an oven, but it’s amazing what you can do with a safari chef.
We have definitely encountered people looking down their noses at us. But we don’t really care. It suits us.
Maybe in five years we might need a bigger space. But Dirty Doris the camper is perfect ?

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Have you thought of the EuraMobil coachbuilts like the Active, Profile or Terrestrial (mine is the latter at just under 6mtres with a double floor so is a bit high (3.2metres) so in France avoid the toll roads. Build quality is excellent but rare in the UK, however most motorhomes use generic stuff. The Profile is built I gather on a Ford chassis, Activa and Terrestra on Fiat. They only build motorhomes and their works are very helpful for any queries you may have. They are part of the Trigano group.

Upvote 0

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years

Hi Rodney, thanks for that information. Just looking at moment until showrooms open. We are doing our research on 4 models now . We will rent one for a week to see how it feels after having a large defleffs Aclass. Do like the Malibu, Adria, globecar and v68 rapido had loads of good advice from members on this site. Very helpful.how is the new automatic gearbox? . Thanks Danny

Upvote 0

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
We settled on the Cathago after looking at loads. Rear bed means loads of storage. As others have said its a breeze to drive, and having come from Caravans we have lost some comfort but worth it. But we won’t miss the construction issues that we have had with every new caravan. Having a metal box is very reassuring.
Hi leggyfoxsilver, thanks for help, we both like Malibu, do you have the single beds? Any faults with it ? We need to see at least 4 on our list. Is yours the new automatic, if yes , do you rate it?. Cheers Danny

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Although I still have two years left on my C1 license we were beginning to see the writing on the wall as I approach my 80th in a few days time. We miss the space of our Itasca Navion with the slideout but we eventually went for the Globecar Campscout. The Rapido V68 was also a very strong contender. The two things that have made a huge difference to downsizing, apart from other changes and additions we made are the blow up extension and the extra cassette. The two biggest factors that narrowed down our search were a need for a 138 litre 3 way fridge and space for "stuff". Both vans fitted the bill.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
On a slight tangent, but the OP didn't say where he was going to keep his purchase.

One key reason why we bought a PVC was to be able to keep it on my drive and avoid the need for storage elsewhere. There is a covenant in the deeds that prohibits keeping a caravan on the property. That's very common with housing built from the 1960s onwards. Whether by definition caravan includes a MH is a question that still awaits a test case. I have discussed this on other threads previously so won't elaborate here.

I consulted with all the neighbours first, to see if anyone would object to a slightly bigger "campervan" on my drive than the previous VW pop top that they were used to seeing. The responses were quite positive. A coachbuilt MH might have been a step too far. The Rapido PVC doesn't look like a builder's van, has a more automotive look with silver paint, relatively small side windows, altogether quite discreet and not out of place. Nobody has complained (touch wood) although I had to assure one neighbour that if he ever wanted to sell his house I would move the PVC out of view. He thought that it might put potential buyers off.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Hi Rodney, thanks for that information. Just looking at moment until showrooms open. We are doing our research on 4 models now . We will rent one for a week to see how it feels after having a large defleffs Aclass. Do like the Malibu, Adria, globecar and v68 rapido had loads of good advice from members on this site. Very helpful.how is the new automatic gearbox? . Thanks Danny

Hi Danny, We are waiting (Like many) for lockdown rules to relax and be able to pick our new one up.
Will let you know what the auto is like then.
Good luck with your eventual choice.

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
The old bin lorry argument is fine but I haven't seen many pristine unscratched bin lorries on my travels ;)

Martin
True but the bin lorry driver doesn't exactly worry about trees and bushes brushing his bodywork nor is he bothered by the odd dent or scratches. Just saying.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back