A class v Campervan (1 Viewer)

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
With the lockdown arriving during our viewing of potential / suitable motor homes everything has obviously come to a standstill, so still no motorhome. We had norrowed down our extensive search to an A class European built motorhome, probably a Pilote or a Burstner.
Anyway with time on my hands and thinking ahead I turned my research to planning trips etc. Part of this research was reading many articles in well know motorhome magazines. This has lead me back again thinking about the suitability of an A class. Many of the magazine articles describe wonderful journeys to secluded parts of Europe and the UK. Most of these are by people travelling in various PVC or at least sub 6m vehicles.
So to my question; are there members out there driving A class vehicles happily on narrow roads, up mountains, down in to secluded bays etc etc I think you get my drift. Maybe I am worrying too much, or maybe I have to rethink my choice of vehicle.
All opinions and hearing positive experiences would be most welcome.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would prefer the luxury of touring in a decent sized A class than having the ability to drive to a mountain top that might not have a place to stop when you get there, if I really want to go up that mountain or down that country lane I will overnight somewhere sensible and then use the scooter that is in the garage for the jaunt. If I/we wanted to wild camp in remote spots we would have a different van.

It really comes down to how and where you want to use the van and we can't answer that for you, when you get chance again you need to sit in a few options and see what you would actually want to live in and what compromises you are prepared to make.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi, don’t think it’s a case of larger A classes being unable to get to places, local buses and bin lorries do, but what are you more comfortable driving.
Personally I’ve always loved the drive of a panel van, like it’s narrowness but you do lose (a bit ) on interior space.
As ever it’s compromises and prioritisation. Happy choosing!!
Bill

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There are many places that you can get with a lot larger than 6mtr PVC . I did notice a few restrictions with 12mtr 12 tonne A class , but surprisingly you can get anywhere there is a bus service :) I have downsized to 7.5 mtr 7.5 tonne , but that is more to get 6wd . I am looking to get to some very secluded places :) In reality you only start getting a bit restricted when you go above 8-9mtrs . Particularly when traveling in Europe .

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have had an 'A Class(N&B Arto L7m W2.3m H3m) for 10 years and have toured mostly on Continent but also Lakes and Scotland.

We have very rarely found roads where we could not go, except those clearly signed as 2m wide. Once or twice we have been limited by a sharp steep hairpin where we would have gronded the rear overhang, but that has been in 10 years.

In some medieval villages you need to be aware of overhang heights, but same with trees on country roads - just look ahead and realise you are driving a 3-dimension box.

With those points in mind you will be fine so do not over worry. Lots of us take 'A' Class anywhere we want to.

Any slight inonvenience of a small diversion on a very few occasions is more than compensated by the additional living and storage space.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hymer do a model called Exsis which comes in either A or C class and both are almost as narrow as a PVC.
Hi Sillious Sodus,
We did look at the Exsis at the Erwin Hymer place at Stafford. Unfortunately the headroom above the raised two single beds (we wanted this layout) and under the cab drop down bed was too low for me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
I would prefer the luxury of touring in a decent sized A class than having the ability to drive to a mountain top that might not have a place to stop when you get there, if I really want to go up that mountain or down that country lane I will overnight somewhere sensible and then use the scooter that is in the garage for the jaunt. If I/we wanted to wild camp in remote spots we would have a different van.

It really comes down to how and where you want to use the van and we can't answer that for you, when you get chance again you need to sit in a few options and see what you would actually want to live in and what compromises you are prepared to make.

Martin
Hi Martin,
We have sat in numerous MH's and really the only ones we liked have been A class. Perhaps I am getting to much time on my hands ad over thinking things. We know what ever we chose there will be a compromise, I guess the choice between mountain tops and comfort, at the moment comfort is winning

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi, don’t think it’s a case of larger A classes being unable to get to places, local buses and bin lorries do, but what are you more comfortable driving.
Personally I’ve always loved the drive of a panel van, like it’s narrowness but you do lose (a bit ) on interior space.
As ever it’s compromises and prioritisation. Happy choosing!!
Bill
Hi Bill,
I guess the compromise thing is the real question. There are limitations at both end of the size debate, maybe more thought is required !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
There are many places that you can get with a lot larger than 6mtr PVC . I did notice a few restrictions with 12mtr 12 tonne A class , but surprisingly you can get anywhere there is a bus service :) I have downsized to 7.5 mtr 7.5 tonne , but that is more to get 6wd . I am looking to get to some very secluded places :) In reality you only start getting a bit restricted when you go above 8-9mtrs . Particularly when traveling in Europe .
Hi Tacr2man,
Maybe I am over thinking this and getting too paranoid. We only want 7 or 7.5m as I am restricted to 3500kg.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Clearly, everyone will have their own preferences and of course it's a personal choice.

The difference in width between a typical A-class (or standard coachbuilt ie C-class) and a panel van conversion is about a foot.

It might not sound much (only 6 inches each side), but having had 2 coachbuilts (2.3m wide) and a pvc (2.05m wide), Mrs mikebeaches and I much prefer the agility of the pvc, even though ours is 6.4m long. It is just so relaxing to drive down country roads and through villages (not to mention easier parking), compared to previous coachbuilts.

Each to their own, however. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
We have had an 'A Class(N&B Arto L7m W2.3m H3m) for 10 years and have toured mostly on Continent but also Lakes and Scotland.

We have very rarely found roads where we could not go, except those clearly signed as 2m wide. Once or twice we have been limited by a sharp steep hairpin where we would have gronded the rear overhang, but that has been in 10 years.

In some medieval villages you need to be aware of overhang heights, but same with trees on country roads - just look ahead and realise you are driving a 3-dimension box.

With those points in mind you will be fine so do not over worry. Lots of us take 'A' Class anywhere we want to.

Any slight inonvenience of a small diversion on a very few occasions is more than compensated by the additional living and storage space.

Geoff
Hi Geoff,
I thinking that you are correct, over thinking is not helping me, obviously too much time on my hands

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Martin,
We have sat in numerous MH's and really the only ones we liked have been A class. Perhaps I am getting to much time on my hands ad over thinking things. We know what ever we chose there will be a compromise, I guess the choice between mountain tops and comfort, at the moment comfort is winning

Nonsense. I forgot to mention we have taken our Arto up narrow steep roads in the Pyrenees and Alps.

Also I find that other vehicles, including 'white vans' give way when there is no passing room. Maybe more so with our very large windscree because ours looks like a 16-seat coach from the front.

If you like the 'A' Class just go for it and stop worrying.

Geoff

Upvote 0

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
What sold the A class for us in the end was driving position . I am six feet tall and when behind the wheel of a C class I found my visibility was severely restricted due to the extra height of the drivers seat on a swivel base . Also we have a fair degree of comfort inside our vehicle especially when the weather is not so good , I also disliked the continental bench seating arrangements in continental vans . At the time of purchase we had two dogs so room for them and us to move around was important . I realise that we are all different and choices have to be made to suit our circumstances , like nicholsong we also have an N & B Arto 69 g which we have owned for 12 years unfortunately we will be selling this year as we are emigrating to Australia it will be a sad day when it goes .

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Tacr2man,
Maybe I am over thinking this and getting too paranoid. We only want 7 or 7.5m as I am restricted to 3500kg.
To get any sort of payload you probably need to keep under 7m.

We have never really had any problems getting anywhere, our van is a bit narrower at 2.21m.
Had to reverse ½m or more out of the odd Spanish village but even a PVC probably wouldn't have got through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have no problem and its almost 10m, just get a good satnav and programme in the size and away you go, I have used my snooper venturer since 2011 and never got stuck.
RS 1.jpg

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Carthago Compactline is a narrow A class so you’ve got the best of both worlds.
Hymer do the same too. I personally wouldn’t want to tour in a PVC but it suits some people.
Each to their own and all that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Nonsense. I forgot to mention we have taken our Arto up narrow steep roads in the Pyrenees and Alps.

Also I find that other vehicles, including 'white vans' give way when there is no passing room. Maybe more so with our very large windscree because ours looks like a 16-seat coach from the front.

If you like the 'A' Class just go for it and stop worrying.

Geoff
Sound advice Geoff, thanks.

Upvote 0

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
It would be worth hiring and trying so that you don't fall into the category of "buy three to get the one you want." No one van is perfect for everything. Ours is a 6.4 PVC with a fixed bed across the rear, suits us fine as it has a lot of load space and storage and a big fridge/freezer, and we tend to sit outside it so inside is really for travelling and sleeping unless the weather is really poor. I do notice a lot of the big motorhomes arrive, park, close blinds and never to be seen. It's a case of each to their own and only you can decide.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Martin,
Not necessarily, the last 3 vehicles were PVCs at 2.05m wide (lengths: 6m, 6.36m + 6.36m) but we changed to a Carthago C-Compactline i-138 A-class which is only 2.12m wide and 6.41m long which has given us more comfort and storage space but we can still take it to all the places we took the PVC.
Hi Tacr2man,
That is the second thing you should be thinking about, the first is how you intend to use it, then you will know how much kit etc you will want to take with you which will let you determine if the payload of any MH/PVC you are looking at is suitable - do NOT under any circumstances rely on the published payload figures from manufacturers as they can be extremely out of kilter with reality, with an allowable 5% margin for error in their figures which may not sound a lot but in reality it can take a chunk out of the payload allowance.
Clearly, everyone will have their own preferences and of course it's a personal choice.

The difference in width between a typical A-class (or standard coachbuilt ie C-class) and a panel van conversion is about a foot.

It might not sound much (only 6 inches each side), but having had 2 coachbuilts (2.3m wide) and a pvc (2.05m wide), Mrs mikebeaches and I much prefer the agility of the pvc, even though ours is 6.4m long. It is just so relaxing to drive down country roads and through villages (not to mention easier parking), compared to previous coachbuilts.
This is why we went for the narrow 2.12m A-class we have which is the narrowest one that is produced by any manufacturer I believe, the next one is a the Hymer Exist models at 2.2m.
Carthago Compactline is a narrow A class so you’ve got the best of both worlds.
Hymer do the same too. I personally wouldn’t want to tour in a PVC but it suits some people.
Each to their own and all that.
Agree about the Compactline which we have, the Hymer is fatter as mentioned earlier. Its all about what you want to do with the MH/camper in the end. The campers suited us for a good few years but now the A-Class meets our needs more.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a PVC and we are very happy with it but if we ever changed it one of the smaller A Class would be given serious consideration. Not for the storage space particularly, although room for a spare cassette or two would be nice. The only real disadvantage for us in our PVC are the small tanks. A MH where we could spend a few days without services would be an improvement over what we can manage at the moment, which is being restricted to only comfortably managing one night at a time. We've got used to this but sometimes when we have found a nice remote spot it would have been nice to have stayed more than one night. ?

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We have a pop top T5 with all wheel drive. We have never felt like swopping it for a big motorhome, and for us 6m would be big. For a start there is absolutely minimal housework, inside or out. There are 2 rear French RIB seats which are very comfortable and make up into a 2 long singles or a kingsize bed. I do understand that for some people that would be a total no, but it takes minutes. I wouldn't like a bed across the van width. We enjoy cooking in the van, we travel very light but have brought large amounts of stuff back when we wanted to. The worst road we ever did was to Raudisandur beach in the Western Isles of Iceland but I think even that is easier now so a big van might well manage. We were once holed up in utterly atrocious weather for four days but managed fine. We just love the travelling ease of a small camper, the 'living outside while you're living in', but if you want more ease when stationary then the bigger MH would suit better. As everyone is saying, different people like different things.

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We have a PVC and we are very happy with it but if we ever changed it one of the smaller A Class would be given serious consideration. Not for the storage space particularly, although room for a spare cassette or two would be nice. The only real disadvantage for us in our PVC are the small tanks. A MH where we could spend a few days without services would be an improvement over what we can manage at the moment, which is being restricted to only comfortably managing one night at a time. We've got used to this but sometimes when we have found a nice remote spot it would have been nice to have stayed more than one night. ?
Not all PVCs have small tanks, our Hymercar is only 5.4m long but has tanks of 100L/60L. I would like a 6m and looked at a few at the NEC in February (at the bathrooms primarily) but the current one is the right size for our drive.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Wildax Aurora XL has 100 litre fresh and grey water tanks, both heated which can do us for 4 days and a 30 litre LPG tank. We keep drinking water separate stored under the bed.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wildax Aurora XL has 100 litre fresh and grey water tanks, both heated which can do us for 4 days and a 30 litre LPG tank. We keep drinking water separate stored under the bed.

Heated by the 12v system though?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I find width more important than length. I also have a Carthago Compactline (see Minxy Girl post above) and I am not troubled by the width on narrower roads. On single track roads you have to give way whatever you are driving, where the 2.12m width becomes useful is on B roads.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Hi Sillious Sodus,
We did look at the Exsis at the Erwin Hymer place at Stafford. Unfortunately the headroom above the raised two single beds (we wanted this layout) and under the cab drop down bed was too low for me.

We have the Exsis and I can’t disagree that space is a bit tight with regards to headroom. What I can tell you however is you rob Peter to pay Paulin so much that the the lower the beds, the smaller the garage and storage beneath them.

Having come from caravanning, we were already aware you can’t have small outside with spacious inside.

The Exsis has everything in you will ever need, a good payload and can carry 4 easily. The payoff is the lack of space.

Have you thought of hiring a particular model to see if it suits?

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I have a Pilote 600l, width with mirrors 2.7 m or 8'11" old money, and I do like the width of it when we are parked up but it can be a little nerve wracking at times on B roads, the mirrors are elephant ear type sited high up on the body and hanging down, brilliant view but almost exactly the wrong height for artics etc.
I am steeled for the inevitable smack one day, never had this concern on my previous two A class Hymers where the mirrors were lower mounted.
Pluses and minuses to all things, whatever you choose enjoy (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back