Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, nearly signed contract for an A-class, but having all sorts of doubts: is it really that difficult to find a garage for maintenance versus a coachbuilt? Is it so much more expensive?
Maybe just nervous about coughing up the money....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not when you're sat in the captain seat's and the sun is blazing through the windscreen. There's not much insulation in glass
Just drop the blind till it looks like a letterbox or a coachbuilt/ice cream van:LOL:

images.jpg

Not an A class IMO

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Maybe but I bet it didtn increase your insurance. Ive had 2 go in 13 years, although both only craked and perfectly usable. Each cost £75 excess. FYI my insurance fully comp 10k mile £50K value is less than £300.
Nope - no effect on the following years premium. Hope this one's the same :). I've been using mine since it went - it's an outer layer crack only.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'd never use an over cab drop down bed
No point if you don't need it but I use mine all the time. My wife has the rear (laughingly called) double. If we close the intermediate doors we need mobiles to communicate :D. We both get a decent nights sleep although my over-athletic jumping dogs seem to find me at some point during the night. Don't wake me though.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
With a front roller blind you can choose at any time how big you want your front view to be.
True but it looks nasty & the sun is still heating all the part behind the lowered blind through the glass.Whereas my overcab acts as a complete sunblocker .
I did like the look of an older Flair which would have been ideal for me but there was no way I could accept the height of the windscreen.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We don't live in Spain so are usually thankful for any solar gain we can get through the windscreen, if it is too hot sat behind the big screen pulling the insulated blind down a bit does make a big difference.

Martin

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Not when you're sat in the captain seat's and the sun is blazing through the windscreen. There's not much insulation in glass
You are overlooking the fact that an A Class harbours a large and comfortable drop down bed which, if you put it lower in the vehicle it would increase the length of the vehicle by 6 feet or so. My son has a Dethleffs with the normal Fiat cab at the front and is always marvelling at the space in my Hymer. Had 4 motorhomes in total, one C class followed by 3 A classes - that tells you something, doesn’t it.;)

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
With regard to the sun... In an A class you can lower the front roller shutter blind - you can also lower the side blinds. In addition to this there is loads of air between the roof and the seats, unlike being in a cab. The side opening windows are huge too - plenty of breeze! :D

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
To answer the op's actual question, yes it can increase the cost of repairs and maintenance. Engine bay access varies wildly on A class motorhomes from fair (but awkward) to downright (almost) impossible. Also due to most A class only having one cab door access to the under dash areas is usually somewhere between uncomfortable and a week in hospital. Take doing front suspension on a Fiat Ducato for example, the top strut mounts are under the dash, from 2007 onwards the drivers side top strut mount is behind the fusebox as well. On a normal cab vehicle you remove the lower dash trim (knee trim I call it) and passengers glovebox section, then drill out the two sheer bolts that hold the fuse box in place to gain access. On an A class, the lower dash trim extensions often overlap the knee trim panels (on one I did recently the extension panels were screwed into the original panels from behind, i.e they were screwed in place before the body was fitted leaving them almost completely inaccessible). Some Hymers have the passengers side cupboard overlapping the knee trim meaning you have to remove it completely which is about two hours extra work. Add into all that the fact that as you're working on suspension components you're wearing dirty overalls and scrabbling around in the footwell of an A class with only one cab door and cream coloured fabric upholstery is a right royal pain the ass. Don't even bother with the likes of N&B which only have a hab door so you then have to squeeze between the cab seats in your dirty overalls.

So yes, an A class will often cost more for some maintenance and mechanical work due to awful access.

D.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
did you read about the gynaecologist who decorated his hallway through the letter box.. ?

same as working on an A class engine :LOL:

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
To answer the op's actual question, yes it can increase the cost of repairs and maintenance. Engine bay access varies wildly on A class motorhomes from fair (but awkward) to downright (almost) impossible. Also due to most A class only having one cab door access to the under dash areas is usually somewhere between uncomfortable and a week in hospital. Take doing front suspension on a Fiat Ducato for example, the top strut mounts are under the dash, from 2007 onwards the drivers side top strut mount is behind the fusebox as well. On a normal cab vehicle you remove the lower dash trim (knee trim I call it) and passengers glovebox section, then drill out the two sheer bolts that hold the fuse box in place to gain access. On an A class, the lower dash trim extensions often overlap the knee trim panels (on one I did recently the extension panels were screwed into the original panels from behind, i.e they were screwed in place before the body was fitted leaving them almost completely inaccessible). Some Hymers have the passengers side cupboard overlapping the knee trim meaning you have to remove it completely which is about two hours extra work. Add into all that the fact that as you're working on suspension components you're wearing dirty overalls and scrabbling around in the footwell of an A class with only one cab door and cream coloured fabric upholstery is a right royal pain the ass. Don't even bother with the likes of N&B which only have a hab door so you then have to squeeze between the cab seats in your dirty overalls.

So yes, an A class will often cost more for some maintenance and mechanical work due to awful access.

D.
Sorry Dave. Was the cream upholstery one mine? I have to say you did a fantastic job and I’ve found no sign of grease or blood anywhere yet!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

D.
So as suspected, they build them for looks and sales with no forethought and couldn't give a flying :swear2: for the poor mug who has to work on them or the sucker who has to pay for the extra unnecessary hours .

I guess they aren't the first or the last to build in misery.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

We have a nice big sun blind that we can pull down much better than the standard Fiat one that does not sit properly against the window if you have front blinds.

The front seats in our A Class are far better than the standard Ducato Seats and I can actually see the road ahead rather than having to stoop a bit as I did in the standard Fiat driving position. The seat swivel makes the seat to high for me.

As for insulation we have two sets of blinds for the front screen and the Aldi heating pipes also go across the dash making the front of our MH far warmer than a standard Fiat cab while sitting in the evening.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sorry Dave. Was the cream upholstery one mine? I have to say you did a fantastic job and I’ve found no sign of grease or blood anywhere yet!
A surprising number have pale upholstery and/or carpets which I find slightly ridiculous considering most campsites are grassy places that generally get muddy when it rains.

D.

Ps, I mopped the blood up before handing the motorhome back.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I really cannot see the advantages of A class. Massive dash and massive screen just seems like an ego trip.

Ego trip. We chose our A class, having previously had coach builds, for layout, overall sense of space and a very convenient comfortable drop down bed. Not to mention a panoramic view when driving or parked up. Ego has little or nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So as suspected, they build them for looks and sales with no forethought and couldn't give a flying :swear2: for the poor mug who has to work on them or the sucker who has to pay for the extra unnecessary hours .

I guess they aren't the first or the last to build in misery.
I guess you are not acknowledging the errors in your earlier statements then

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

D.

That's an incredibly informative post Dave - one of the best I've read on here for many moons (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anesta

Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
Thank you everybody. Signed paperwork for the a-class today!!! Just trying to get the best insurance quote on VIN from Folkestone (at least it will be fully comp. rather than 3rd party). Asked the German dealer and their temp. insurance covers all Europe and UK for 30 days

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anesta

Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
Can't find the dealers' review section: any help please? And thanks Dave for all the info. Got to hope not to have too many problems...

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you everybody. Signed paperwork for the a-class today!!! Just trying to get the best insurance quote on VIN from Folkestone (at least it will be fully comp. rather than 3rd party). Asked the German dealer and their temp. insurance covers all Europe and UK for 30 days

Lovely, what are you getting?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Worth asking if they will extend it , probably at your cost , to the 90 day maximum?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anesta

Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
hymer Exsis i588. Can try to ask about extension, but if I find UK insurer that will insure on VIN, I'd probably switch asap at least I get fully comp.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Which errors in which statements... Maybe I can correct you.
I think @jonegood is referring to your posts #13 and #22 where you erroneously suggest that the chassis parts steering column pedal box and dashboard can not be moved forward to give more space inside the vehicle and consequently of course a smaller dashboard so you sit closer to the windscreen, yes at one point you did say "As the steering Column and bulkhead can't be moved without massive alteration including moving the engine forwards" NO they don't need to move the engine but YES some A class manufacturers do go the extra mile and make these "massive alterations" to give the option of maximising space and drivability.

And yes you do pay for this additional work and no is is not all A class by a long way but it is wrong to generalise and lump all A class vans designs as being the same, possibly we should differentiate and call these vans A class "liners"

I am pleased the OP has made a decision as we are going seriously off topic now, and I hope they will be very happy with their choice.

Martin

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I can never understand why some find it necessary to denigrate the choices of others when it is of no relevance to themselves ?
This has been noticeable in a somewhat similar way to the views after the Brexit vote where some those that voted remain , in one breath say that Leavers didnt know what they were voting for and in the next say that they know why they voted leave :)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can never understand why some find it necessary to denigrate the choices of others when it is of no relevance to themselves ?
This has been noticeable in a somewhat similar way to the views after the Brexit vote where some those that voted remain , in one breath say that Leavers didnt know what they were voting for and in the next say that they know why they voted leave :)
We all make different choices which is not a problem, we also have a right to defend our choice and I don't mind a bit of criticism of my choice (I can take it;)) but what I don't like is when people back up their argument with incorrect "facts" OK we all make mistakes but hopefully I can admit mine and hold my hands up.

Martin

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I decided to have C class when looking for my first one after looking at some A class's with the typical letter box bonnet, the expense and maybe wait for a windscreen and mirrors and the non standard front light fittings then I then looked at what seemed to be a lot of unusable space in the cab area.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I really cannot see the advantages of A class. Massive dash and massive screen just seems like an ego trip.
The size is the same as a coach built as the base vehicle is the same, it just looks longer.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The size is the same as a coach built as the base vehicle is the same, it just looks longer.
The A class is wider (the cab is built to the same width as the rear body so it's normally at least a foot wider) and screens are often considerably taller. The dashboard on most A class vans extends forward to a position just behind the OEM vans bonnet latch rail so it is deeper by (at a guess) approaching two feet. It also extends outwards to the new cab sides. It isn't strictly the dashboard as such - that remains OEM in most A class vans - but is a manufactured extension both forwards and out to the sides.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back