Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, nearly signed contract for an A-class, but having all sorts of doubts: is it really that difficult to find a garage for maintenance versus a coachbuilt? Is it so much more expensive?
Maybe just nervous about coughing up the money....

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
The A class is wider (the cab is built to the same width as the rear body so it's normally at least a foot wider) and screens are often considerably taller. The dashboard on most A class vans extends forward to a position just behind the OEM vans bonnet latch rail so it is deeper by (at a guess) approaching two feet. It also extends outwards to the new cab sides. It isn't strictly the dashboard as such - that remains OEM in most A class vans - but is a manufactured extension both forwards and out to the sides.
Yes I was only talking about the depth not width.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
874D7156-0FE1-47B7-8D55-D3D4849F11E0.jpeg
I had a nightmare on my frankia

This is what Enza MERCEDES truck and bus did to mine to get to glowplug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
View attachment 258433 I had a nightmare on my frankia

They could probably have simply removed the dash top inside but if not then any professional outfit would have cut a neat access hole & made a simple aluminium cover plate. That mess smacks of someone losing their temper because they blame the converter for making their job a little harder. Is that how they left it?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think most A-class vans have two doors
Normally only one door the driver's door is an optional extra, we had a driver's door on our Hymer not sure if I would bother next time, only use it when I fill with fuel.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
View attachment 258433 I had a nightmare on my frankia

Looks like a hammer and screwdriver "Hole smasher method", not nice to see this sort of workmanship, I would not have been happy to pay them any money when presented with the bill.
Hope you had a good moan at them, they are taking the urine me thinks.
Les

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think @jonegood is referring to your posts #13 and #22 where you erroneously suggest that the chassis parts steering column pedal box and dashboard can not be moved forward to give more space inside the vehicle and consequently of course a smaller dashboard so you sit closer to the windscreen, yes at one point you did say "As the steering Column and bulkhead can't be moved without massive alteration including moving the engine forwards" NO they don't need to move the engine but YES some A class manufacturers do go the extra mile and make these "massive alterations" to give the option of maximising space and drivability.

And yes you do pay for this additional work and no is is not all A class by a long way but it is wrong to generalise and lump all A class vans designs as being the same, possibly we should differentiate and call these vans A class "liners"

I am pleased the OP has made a decision as we are going seriously off topic now, and I hope they will be very happy with their choice.

Martin
Yes, thank you Martin. Having linked a video which shows what they do within the first couple of minutes this was a bit exasperating. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Jon

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not when you're sat in the captain seat's and the sun is blazing through the windscreen. There's not much insulation in glass
We find the A Class cab cooler, certainly when driving as the screen is a lot further away. And when parked up if necessary drop the aluminium insulated blind a bit.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Take doing front suspension on a Fiat Ducato for example, the top strut mounts are under the dash, from 2007 onwards the drivers side top strut mount is behind the fusebox as well. On a normal cab vehicle you remove the lower dash trim (knee trim I call it) and passengers glovebox section, then drill out the two sheer bolts that hold the fuse box in place to gain access. On an A class, the lower dash trim extensions often overlap the knee trim panels (on one I did recently the extension panels were screwed into the original panels from behind, i.e they were screwed in place before the body was fitted leaving them almost completely inaccessible).
My van is in at SAP at the moment having air suspension fitted. I asked about access to the front stuts, they said it's easy they just remove the lower dash panels on each side but they have done hundreds of them and probably got it down to a fine art.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Final comment......

$_20.jpg

Thats not a transverse engine or rack and pinion steering system.
Relatively easy to move everything forwards on that.

Try it on a Fiat Ducato.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Final comment......

View attachment 258551

Try it on a Fiat Ducato.
Think I'd rather keep the steering rack TBH. Steering boxes, drag links, and idlers, give me the willies. But then I last played with them in the '60s. They didn't impress me at the time.

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Most A class vehicles have one door only - the habitation door. This means that the security is much better, there is more room in the cab, less chance of draughts and the vehicle looks far more streamlined.

You can get them with doors in the cab but I can't see why you'd want them there and they're usually an extra, so therefore cost more.
And an increased security risk.

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Maybe but I bet it didtn increase your insurance. Ive had 2 go in 13 years, although both only craked and perfectly usable. Each cost £75 excess. FYI my insurance fully comp 10k mile £50K value is less than £300.
Who’s your insurance company if you don’t mind me asking.?TIA

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Final comment......

View attachment 258551

Try it on a Fiat Ducato.
You are clearly not listening! They have moved the floor upwards so they only move the seating position forward. If they had the will it could also be done on a Ducato.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This one is IVECO daily and I believe uses a steering rack, but NOT front wheel drive thankfully, as Jon says if you raise the floor and dashboard it can then go forward over the engine, where there is a will(y)

csm_concorde_charisma_2019_cockpit_61ed9a5d80.jpg

Martin

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You are clearly not listening! They have moved the floor upwards so they only move the seating position forward. If they had the will it could also be done on a Ducato.

This one is IVECO daily and I believe uses a steering rack, but NOT front wheel drive thankfully, as Jon says if you raise the floor and dashboard it can then go forward over the engine, where there is a will(y)

View attachment 259119

Martin

OK, ill give you that......never considered raising the floor.
BUT, you CANNOT move a steering rack forwards or backwards.
It will drastically alter the steering geometry once the wheel is even partially turned.
To move the seat that far forward on a Ducato the rack would just about be under the seat.
Not a problem with a box, idler and drag link... The rods can all be lengthened/shortened to suit the box position.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It will drastically alter the steering geometry once the wheel is even partially turned.
To move the seat that far forward on a Ducato the rack would just about be under the seat.
Not a problem with a box, idler and drag link... The rods can all be lengthened/shortened to suit the box position.
They don't move the rack just the dashboard and the steering wheel goes forward and the steering column is a bit more vertical and the rack might rotate a bit to keep the joints straight.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I'm very aware that people hook up to this forum for information and try and only give assistance. I do try and check my facts, and sometimes I get it wrong. But to carry on like this in the face of the evidence is just nuts. Can I suggest that either you admit it or leave it?

If it helps go back to #17 #33 and#85 and have another look.
Jon

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just thought those that were involved in the previous discussion might like to see this photo from the Niesmann Bishoff open days this weekend, this shows what N&B do the Iveco Daily chassis prior to making it into a Flair moving the seating position upwards and sideways and pushing the dashboard forwards. Might be of particular interest to @pappajohn.
nb flair dash.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
My van is in at SAP at the moment having air suspension fitted. I asked about access to the front stuts, they said it's easy they just remove the lower dash panels on each side but they have done hundreds of them and probably got it down to a fine art.
What made you choose to have air suspension - thought the new Hymer's have a better suspension than the earlier models so was rather hoping I wouldn't need to on this one. Bet it was the ferry issue you had in Portugal!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What made you choose to have air suspension - thought the new Hymer's have a better suspension than the earlier models so was rather hoping I wouldn't need to on this one. Bet it was the ferry issue you had in Portugal!
Awful crashing ride the last Hymer on the light chassis was fine but this one on the 4500kg I found unbearable. Both vans had the Goldsmitt front springs & Al-Ko chassis.

The ferry problem was where the ramp joined the boat was just ridiculous like a huge speed bump with a flat top. Had it in off road mode so front was at least 3" higher than normal, as the front wheels came down the other side drivers step grounded. No way the tanks and floor box would have cleared.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I really cannot see the advantages of A class. Massive dash and massive screen just seems like an ego trip.
The A Class layout at the front makes the area a lot more usable. Nothing to do with egos at all. They tent to be a lot wider. I have a Burstner Elegance 821 and one of my mates has an Autotrail Chieftain. Both based on the 3.0 Fiat Ducato. The front end is so much more “ leisure friendly” on my Elegance. When you spin the seats round on both vans the Chieftain cab is sort of cut off from the rest of the van. My mate has given up trying to use his front seats and put up a curtain to separate it off. That’s a lot of lost space. Still a nice van though.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Where? - Behind you? - I still don't get it
You won't unless you have had one, once you have you will find it difficult to go back. Looked in some vans with standard cabs recently, they felt so claustrophobic from the habitation point of view hated them and in the drivers seat felt like you were going to knock yourself out on the windscreen every time you moved.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back