Free Member
Aug 3, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, nearly signed contract for an A-class, but having all sorts of doubts: is it really that difficult to find a garage for maintenance versus a coachbuilt? Is it so much more expensive?
Maybe just nervous about coughing up the money....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi, nearly signed contract for an A-class, but having all sorts of doubts: is it really that difficult to find a garage for maintenance versus a coachbuilt? Is it so much more expensive?

Engine access is a pain ( I am told) but I don’t think it makes it any more expensive.

For me the downside with an A class was the layout we had.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some jobs are harder to do but a good garage find work arounds, like removing engine mounts to lower the engine temporarily. More hours of labour equals extra cost

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many ancillary items such as the alternator, starter motor and upper exhaust parts are easier accessed from below even on a regular van.
Cam belt is accessed via removal of the road wheel and the inner wing plastic panel.
That really only leaves the front of the engine.... Radiator, AC radiator, intercooler etc.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I really cannot see the advantages of A class. Massive dash and massive screen just seems like an ego trip.
My thoughts too... But I suppose at a push you could sleep a couple of kids on the dash. :D

My American A class had an 18" dash, about the same as my car. But the engine and gearbox was between the seats under the floor so didn't need all that front end space.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I really cannot see the advantages of A class. Massive dash and massive screen just seems like an ego trip.
says the man that never owned one. The internal space and how the cab is part of the living space makes a huge difference. And no un-aerodynamic cab to body joints to leak either

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
says the man that never owned one. The internal space and how the cab is part of the living space makes a huge difference. And no un-aerodynamic cab to body joints to leak either

Well I agree with him. We had a Burstner Aviano and I often pondered on the waste of space the dash was. Completely wasted.

That wasn’t the reason I hated it though, that was about the layout.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
An a class imo is no ego trip it’s what we prefer for space and comfort . In ours we have seating for eight if needed but that also gives us stacks of room to stretch out on a wet and windy day.
When travelling we have a fantastic elevated view around and when it’s cold the domestic heating system is ducted into the cab area so no cold area coming from the cab as in a coachbuilt.
In ours there is not a massive dash wasted space.
If it costs a bit more for maintenance so be it, if I wanted to save money I wouldn’t have a motorhome in the first place.

Each to his own :D

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The seats are in the same place, they have to be because of the steering wheel and pedals attached to the bulkhead/firewall.
The front of the dash is in the same place, it has to be as its attached to the bulkhead/firewall.
So apart from a very large shelf and panoramic window where's the extra space, you can't walk about in it or sit in it.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The seats are in the same place, they have to be because of the steering wheel and pedals attached to the bulkhead/firewall.
The front of the dash is in the same place, it has to be as its attached to the bulkhead/firewall.
So apart from a very large shelf and panoramic window where's the extra space, you can't walk about in it or sit in it.

Much of the extra space comes from the full width cab area in an a class and the floor is level throughout and not all a class have a dash top larger than a coach built.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
:rofl::rofl::rofl: so funny. I must tell Colin that we are on an ego trip, because we have just bought our 4th A class motorhome.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Access for some things in an A-class is much more of a challenge IMO. I think this was highlighted recently when the allocated hourly rate for the fix of an EGR system on a coachbuilt was 4-hours and the same fix for an A-class was circa 8-hours.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not correct. Many of the iveco based motorhomes have the seats moved upwards and forwards.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

We love ours. A fantastic panoramic view. It works better for us as my husband is disabled and he can access the habitation area really easily.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Should have gone to specsavers then , others obviously can see it ,
and they are the ones paying for it :)
Engine accessibility on mine isn't affected its in the back (y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Much of the extra space comes from the full width cab area in an a class and the floor is level throughout and not all a class have a dash top larger than a coach built.
All my C class but one have had level floors front to rear and a couple or three inchs each side, well whoopee doo, you have a pair of seats in the way so that ain't going to help much.
As the steering Column and bulkhead can't be moved without massive alteration including moving the engine forwards I don't see how the distance from the dash face to windscreen can be reduced to incorporate a shallower dash.
The only way is to move the windscreen backwards but that reduces all this valuable 'extra' space.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Where exactly is that internal space? Just above the dash board? Just what I need.
That's a load of tosh Alex. Had a low profile and now on our second A class wouldn't want any other type of van now.
Cab is more spacious, with the drop down bed down you can still use the lounge can't do that in a low profile. Better insulation better driving experience better view of the road easier to reverse and get through tight spaces due to parallel sides, quieter when driving.

A couple of weeks ago at our dealers while killing time went in every van in their showroom, I hated the standard cabs, felt like you were going to bash your head on the windscreen, they felt so claustrophobic and I hate the bit where the side bits intrude where can and body join.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The seats are in the same place,.
My last Hymer the passenger seat was offset 2 or 3 inches twoards the outside of the van giving a lot more space between the seats unfortunately they haven't continued that trend really miss the extra space between the seats in this van.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I've had both. Didn't notice any extra room in the A class Hymer... and the engine had to be dropped down to replace the turbo (3-litre), costing an extra £700 in labour, fortunately not at my expense.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Engine accessibility on mine isn't affected its in the back
Wasn't on mine either....
20% (injectors and plugs) through the floor hatch and 80% sat on a low stool underneath at either side.
Plenty of room around American truck engines and having a steering box you sit in front of the front wheels.....minimal wasted space.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My last Hymer the passenger seat was offset 2 or 3 inches twoards the outside of the van giving a lot more space between the seats
No, it gives you 2 or 3 inchs, that's not a lot of space.
2 or 3 FEET is a lot of space

It only gives an illusion of space.

Still, everyone to their own... I wouldn't thank you for a euro A class.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back