buchos

Free Member
Jul 1, 2017
Bangor, N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 640SE
Exp
Hi.... Can any of you girls recommend a 12 volt hairdryer for the MH? It's not a vanity thing... I just look like a shaggy dog if I don't get my hair dried!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Forget it.
A 12v hair drier can't produce enough heat for long enough unless you have a crewcut or, God forbid, alopecia.
Much better buying a relatively low wattage (700 to 1000 watts) mains hair drier.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
For off grid use you really need to look at fitting an inverter to use a mains powered hair dryer.
Also to keep the battery charged you will need Solar as well.
More expense but IMV worth it for the convenience

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Try one of these.........

image.jpeg

Cheap to run and work when there's no leccy :getmecoat:

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We need somebody like Dyson to design an appliance that uses the heat from the Truma blown air heating combined with 12v for the blower!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We need somebody like Dyson to design an appliance that uses the heat from the Truma blown air heating combined with 12v for the blower!

Been done, a few years ago...
I made up a hose from an old vacumm cleaner that plugged into one of the blown air outlets.. more of a joke than anything, pity I deleted the photo.. :(

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I made up a hose from an old vacumm cleaner that plugged into one of the blown air outlets.. more of a joke than anything, pity I deleted the photo.. :(

Some people just use the outlet :D

image.jpeg

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My missus has a Bosch, gas powered heated curling tong/brush thingy, wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility to yoke the mechanism up to a small battery powered fan, maybe the market's not big enough ?

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My wife would kill me if I didn't provide a decent domestic hair dryer for her to use anywhere whilst we are away in the van.

We all have standards! Hers is the hair dryer, mine is a plentiful supply of ice cold Stella Artois.

Lyn "claims" that she needs a hairdryer to look good! I think that the Stella Artois does that, but not brave enough to tell her!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The original VW beetle cab heater drew heat from the zorst, and my boat heated domestic water in a tank containing a coiled tube which transferred heat from the zorst to the stored water. Didn't dry my hair though.
I don't see the problem; go for a drive and stick your head out of the window. (No surprise then that I've had several unsuccessful forays into the matrimonial condition :whistle: )

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Since my wife accepted my suggestion to stick her head out of the passenger window to dry her hair, I've found I can drive to within 12 inches of lamp-posts with very little effort :roflmto:

Upvote 0

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
I bought a 12v hair dryer at the Newbury show this year and it is a complete waste of money. :emo:

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
My wife would kill me if I didn't provide a decent domestic hair dryer for her to use anywhere whilst we are away in the van.

We all have standards! Hers is the hair dryer, mine is a plentiful supply of ice cold Stella Artois.

Lyn "claims" that she needs a hairdryer to look good! I think that the Stella Artois does that, but not brave enough to tell her![/QUOT
Eddie what size battery reserve would you need to run an inverter and hair dryer with say a b2b charger and running the engine please ?

Upvote 0

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I recently had to carefully steer my wife away from looking at the new Dyson hair dryers. £300!!!!!!!. Incredible.
I offered to buy one for the wife as a special thank you as she loves her hair. She turned it down saying it was two expensive! I was gobsmacked but secretly pleased. She later wished she had accepted
As a gesture of good will I will fit an inverter to the mh when I buy one but will make sure she knows how expensive it is

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Before Truma took over Carver, Carver used to sell one.:D

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Hi.... Can any of you girls recommend a 12 volt hairdryer for the MH? It's not a vanity thing... I just look like a shaggy dog if I don't get my hair dried!!!
Try some of those oils you can buy for calming hair, they are really good, I use them now though I never did before and find they work really well...no dryer required....12v hairdryers aren't up to much.

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I recently had to carefully steer my wife away from looking at the new Dyson hair dryers. £300!!!!!!!. Incredible.

I have the dyson - best hairdryer ever had. Expensive yes, but quicker than any other hairdryer without the frizz, lightweight and a surprising lowish voltage so doesn’t trip ehu. Obviously it’s not just for motor home use and use it in the house also. Just have to remember to pack it when we go away.

Upvote 0

Alcemi

Free Member
Jun 17, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since July 2016
I've found that a good microfibre towel gets an impressive amount of the moisture out, leaving it dry enough that it doesn't stick out all over the place once fully dry. I also bought a microfibre brush off Amazon, which helps a bit, but it's the vigorous towelling with a microfibre towel that's by far the most effective (followed up with anti-frizz hair product!).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back