DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm running out of ideas for titles of the "Two Go" trips we've made over the last few years but "Exploring" probably about sums up our aims for this one. The idea is to find some out of the way places away from the popular spots though we will be visiting civilisation from time to time, we don't plan to rough it all the time.

Yesterday we boarded the Pont Aven at Plymouth and set sail for Santander on the north coast of Spain. The boarding was a shock as we encountered queues at Plymouth for the first time ever. This was going to be a busy ship on its first sailing to Spain from Plymouth in 2023.

PXL_20230329_130819824 (1).jpg

The Pont Aven used to be regarded as Brittany Ferries' flag ship but I don't think that's the case anymore, although I could be wrong. :) She has had a bit of a refit recently but not much has changed internally, new carpets in the Piano Bar and Flora restaurant but otherwise she's the same old vessel - and we like her! :)

The weather was not encouraging, the shipping forecast for Plymouth and Biscay where we were heading was sea state rough to very rough and winds rising to Force 8. :(

It was bumpy at times but not too much. The worst was the rain in the evening - walking Charlie on the dog exercise deck in rain and gusty wind was not pleasant. Fortunately, Charlie wasn't enjoying it either and did what was required fairly promptly.

We had booked a table in the Flora restaurant but the latest we could eat was 18:30, the last sitting was full but that was only 18:45. I'm not sure if these timing are always like that or this was a one off because afterwards two groups of disabled young people were called in, one after the other after all the rest of us had finished. Perhaps they do have later bookings but they had been pre-booked somehow?

But it matters not and eating early by our standards reduced the pre-dinner alcohol intake, and probably for the better, a glass of a Cóte de Provence was €8. :oops:

The restaurant has also suffered a bit of price inflation and the menu is now €42. :oops::oops:

But it wasn't a bad meal and after the Club Voyage discount the cost for two of us including a modest bottle of wine was about €75. Extravagant perhaps but we take the trip as a one day cruise and enjoy ourselves. :)

The first course is a help yourself cold buffet.

PXL_20230329_173959078.jpg

Very easy to pile too much on your plate - I think I showed great restraint!

I had the Dish of the Day, some very well cooked pork, tender and not at all dry with potatoes and artichoke quarters, pea shoots and some unidentifiable fragments.

PXL_20230329_180848768.jpg

Mrs DBK went for mushroom stuffed pasta. It was nice but far too much for her.

PXL_20230329_180855009.jpg

I had cheese afterwards. There were five cheeses to begin with but I'd scoffed one before remembering to take a photo. Mrs DBK had a pudding of some sort (obviously not that full :) ) but I neglected to photograph it so you will just have to insert something yummy from your memory bank here.

PXL_20230329_182902301.jpg

This morning we awoke to....sunshine! What a difference being 300 miles or so south makes! The sea wasn't flat but it was better than it had been the previous evening.

Disembarking the ship was slow, it seemed to take ages before the ramp was lowered and we were also warned over the tannoy clearing the port would also be delayed. Being on the bottom vehicle deck has its advantages, you may be last to board but you are first off. And yes there was a long queue at the passport control as only two lanes were open but as we got there the number of lanes suddenly increased from two to at least six and we were soon through. But it was a false dawn as we then hit another queue where those with pets (mascotas) were shunted off to one side and in a tent Charlie was zapped for his microchip and his £200 Animal Health Certificate officially endorsed to allow his entry into Spain. I'm not sure he appreciated this kindness as a little later he left a large puddle on the first bit of Spanish soil he encountered. 🐶

Coming out of Santander port Google Maps would have had me turning in all directions but I ignored the noises off and just followed the signs for Torrelavega where there are more supermarkets than you can shake a stick at in a small area. It was vwalan who put me on to this place for which many thanks. It's easily reached now from Santander as they have finished the dual carriageway although the very end just as you reach Torrelavega is still a bit of "work in progress". It is dual carriageway but you must get in the left hand lane early.

We shopped at Aldi then switched to Carrefour to find a travel hairdryer which fortunately they had. Mrs DBK's previous model had blown up in the cabin this morning! :)

From Torrelavega we headed south and by numerous tunnels and viaducts climbed up to nearly 900m to the free parking at Corconte, CamperContact 73256. (blue blob lower centre)

Screenshot_20230330_163346_Maps.jpg

PXL_20230330_151619774 (1).jpg

The parking here is close to the Embalse del Ebro and the source of the Ebro, Spain's longest river (possibly) is close by. We saw a sign for the source, the Nacimiento del Río Ebro on the way and I'm putting that down as "close enough". Just consider it as a drive-by visit to the source of the Ebro. We probably should have put in a swerve to see it as it's a noted beauty spot but on the basis we are avoiding crowds where possible I'm happy with our Close Encounter.

And that's about it so far on this trip. Taking the ruinously expensive ferry has at least allowed us, despite our late start to get ahead of Lenny HB who is still stuck in France dodging Molatov cocktails. :)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a good trip John.
I know what you mean about thread titles I'm having the same problem.

After that meal did you go in hunt of some fish & chips to fill you up? :rofl:

Did well today 177 miles, in the Dordogne now.
Where are you heading for?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Where are you heading for?
Having stumbled across the Ebro we might as well follow it down to where it hits the coast at the Ebro Delta. I wasn't going that far east originally but it looks worth trying. Then the plan is to follow the coast down but keeping inland, Teruel and perhaps Ronda area But not Ronda itself which I visited twice before. We will probably end up around Tarifa then by ways unknown end up in Galicia. We've got until the end of May and determined not to rush things. Whether I can keep to that will be discovered.

Best wishes for your trip.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Crossing the Ebro down on the Mediterranean coast road we were almost blown over a few years ago. A curtain sided lorry at some time in front of us wasn’t so lucky. I learnt to always check the winds in future, as well as the sun & temperature 😜 It was very frightening crossing the bridge.

Albarracin, near Teruel, is on my bucket list of places still to visit.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Crossing the Ebro down on the Mediterranean coast road we were almost blown over a few years ago. A curtain sided lorry at some time in front of us wasn’t so lucky. I learnt to always check the winds in future, as well as the sun & temperature 😜 It was very frightening crossing the bridge.

Albarracin, near Teruel, is on my bucket list of places still to visit.
Albarracin is certainly worth a visit, we stayed at the campsite but I think there is parking for MHs although without facilities. Might be wrong again on that, I haven't checked. :)

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Have a lovely trip.
Joining as soon as possible. Still not decided whether to meander through France or just go direct to northern Spain.
Probably direct to Spain as it gets us to the warmth faster.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Have a great trip.

Our Murvi is doing The Italian Job in two weeks time - Straight from Roscoff to Sicily, and a couple of months to meander back north.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Probably direct to Spain as it gets us to the warmth faster.
It certainly does that, it's 14°C now at 21:45 local time and we are at nearly 900m. The vehicle thermometer showed 25°C this afternoon on the way here but that might have been a bit of a fib by the sensor. I suspect it wasn't that high but certainly low 20s was right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a great trip.

Our Murvi is doing The Italian Job in two weeks time - Straight from Roscoff to Sicily, and a couple of months to meander back north.
We loved Sicily, spent 4 weeks just to tour the coast and still have the interior to do. Hopefully we will return. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I didn't wake until eight o' clock this morning, not having set an alarm but Spain is an hour ahead of UK time so I guess my brain hasn't adapted to local time yet. :)

I wasn't sure if the service point had water as a visual check yesterday showed the LED screen at the paypoint was blank but I needed have worried, it was turned on and it was free! Sadly, this was the only plus as the black waste disposal point stank and the drive-over grey waste point was heavily overgrown but I'm not complaining and many thanks to the village for providing this aire.

Today was a gentle ninty minute drive through interesting country, which included a very long (several kilometers) descent in third gear with frequent use of brakes. It is early in the year and there were few flowers to be seen other than one patch of cowslips. This is a limestone area and should be good for orchids - in a couple of months. :(

The ground is very dry and we saw smoke from another fire during the journey. I say another because we saw a fire yesterday on the way to Corconte which I forgot to mention. In the evening a bright yellow and red twin-engined seaplane touched down on the embalse, obviously taking on water as it skimmed over the surface before rising again to dump the water on the fire.

But there was some interesting bird life to be seen this morning, storks and black kites were fairly common. A large bird was glimpsed fleetingly, almost certainly an eagle of some sort as it was too big to be a buzzard. Finally a harrier, probably a hen harrier from the markings on its upper wing but as I'm rubbish on birds of prey so I'll just record it as a harrier. :)

We have stopped for tonight at the aire below the town of Frías, the blue blob in the centre of the map below. You can see the Embalse del Ébro where we were last night in the top left and in the bottom right Logroño where we plan to stay tomorrow.

Screenshot_20230331_181848_Maps.jpg

The town is above the aire but it isn't too hard a climb to reach it. Just follow the cobbled streets and zig-zag up. :)

PXL_20230331_133754220.jpg

Some random shots of the streets when you do reach the top.

PXL_20230331_124148803.jpg

PXL_20230331_124418758.MP.jpg

The castle was supposed to be open according to the sign but it and the tourist office were firmly cerrado. Dogs aren't allowed in anyway so we just viewed it from outside.

PXL_20230331_125038869.jpg

PXL_20230331_124928158.jpg

There was a geocache near this church but we couldn't find it. I wasn't too bothered as geocaches have a "Difficulty" score of 1 to 5 and this one was a 5, the first one I've come across, most are 1 to 3.

PXL_20230331_125533354.jpg

There were wide reaching views from up here. The building in the middle is a convent, no longer in use I think.

PXL_20230331_125824255.jpg

On the right here is the medieval bridge which we will visit tomorrow when we leave.

PXL_20230331_125014332.jpg

The aire, seen as a white circle is in the middle of the image below.

PXL_20230331_125757303.jpg

On the walk we saw what looked at first to be brimstone butterflies but they had orange patches on their wings. A bit of research revealed they were Cleopatra butterflies. The males have the orange patches but the females, one of which I had a good view of when it settled on a flower, don't have the patches. It is normally only seen in summer except here is Spain where they hibernate and emerge earlier. It's not a species I recall seeing before but then it does look like a Brimstone at first glance.

This is a nice area which regretfully we have driven around and through on previous trips. It is worth stopping to explore. :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Hi DBK - a newbie here - I’m interested in your map display. I can’t get my google map to display as your screenshots. The ‘terrain’ or ‘satellite’ on my app are nearly there, but not as good as yours. What do you use? We are on our way to explore Spain, but need to keep an eye out for mountainy roads. I know there are a lot in Spain, but we’d like to manage how high (in altitude) we get.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi DBK - a newbie here - I’m interested in your map display. I can’t get my google map to display as your screenshots. The ‘terrain’ or ‘satellite’ on my app are nearly there, but not as good as yours. What do you use? We are on our way to explore Spain, but need to keep an eye out for mountainy roads. I know there are a lot in Spain, but we’d like to manage how high (in altitude) we get.
I'm using the terrain setting but it only looks like these screenshots if you zoom right out. It is useless if you zoom too close.

The best way to look for altitude is either the Michelin map or atlas. These don't show contour lines but you will get an idea of altitude looking at the heights of summits. For an accurate figure I have the Locus map app, which does show contour line.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I think our temperature sensor is pretty accurate and at 2100 now it is saying 28C in Aguilas. It was cooler a few hours ago but a vary warm wind sprung up. Enjoying the read DBK and loving the photos, thanks. Hope you get some tapas tomorrow, we once visited just for the pleasure and some rather special Rioja wine.

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
All thanks to one Generallismo Francisco Franco who decided in 1940 to align us with Berlin time, rather than staying on the nearest solar time. As a result the sun dial on our church is wrong.
Absolutely! the whole country is in the wrong time zone! I hope they put the clock back in October and stay there for the remainder! Let's see

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Below the aire in Frías and a bit hidden by trees is a small park where I discovered the old village laundry. It was impressively well made and the water gin clear as it was in the stream beside it.

PXL_20230401_075515015.jpg

PXL_20230401_075532573.jpg

We stopped off to see the medieval bridge over the Ebro just outside Frías as we were leaving this morning.

It dates back to the 13th century but with later additions, including the central tower.

PXL_20230401_082730445.jpg

PXL_20230401_083016401.jpg

We then followed the river downstream on an easily driven road. It was marked in white on the map but was much wider than I feared.

The river has a hydro-electric dam which creates a long lake in the valley. Impressive limestone cliffs above.

PXL_20230401_090158185.jpg

PXL_20230401_090229727.jpg

After stopping to do some shopping and buy diesel (€1.45) at a LeClerc supermarket we continued on to Camping la Playa at Logroño. There are a couple of aires in Logroño but they are a bit far from the centre so having escaped paying anything for the last two nights we elected for the campsite which is just a ten minute walk from the centre. It isn't cheap, two nights is costing us €66 but that includes electric and the dog, it would be about €25 a night if you didn't take these options. It's a non-ASCI site with no discounts.

This is where we are, top left blue blob. Far right is the bull ring which appears to have a roof - very posh! At the bottom middle is the cathedral.

Screenshot_20230401_180910_Maps.jpg

The walk to the city from the campsite goes over the Ebro on a footbridge from which we could see the enormous amount of timber, think whole trees, brought down by floods.

PXL_20230401_125121177.jpg

The exterior of the cathedral is very plain except for the entrance.

PXL_20230401_125936846.jpg

The figure on horseback at the top is supposed to be Santiago (St James). Logroño is on one of the main pilgrim routes to Santiago de Compostela. From what I can make out on the map it is the route which goes through St Jean Pied de Port in the Pyrenees.

The interior has old paintings and an altar where they went to town with the gold leaf.

PXL_20230401_130116973.jpg

There was a lot of graffiti about but some of it was quite good.

PXL_20230401_131135392.jpg

We crossed back over the river by another bridge and wandered back to the site through an interesting little park. These, as far as I could make out, are genuine dinosaur footprints on rock which must have been removed and brought here. We didn't tell Charlie it was probably a dog-eating dinosaur.

PXL_20230401_132106250.jpg

There was a "scientific" section with various things. In the distance are pipes and funnels you can speak into and be heard at another pipe. The dish in the foreground is facing another and shows how sound waves can be focused and transmitted.

PXL_20230401_132418879.jpg

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday and they have a big procession here with lots of folk in pointy hats. This is one of the reasons for coming here but I'm struggling to find when it all starts. I had guessed in the morning but then came across a video which showed the procession finishing at the cathedral in darkness so it might start late afternoon. If all else fails I may have to ask at reception - where they only speak Spanish. "¿cuando empieza la procesión? I can manage but will I understand the reply?

To be continued...

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Post deleted - Internet issues causing the post above to be repeated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We saw a couple of pilgrims today, hope they had booked accommodation as I understand the place gets full around Easter.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I'm running out of ideas for titles of the "Two Go" trips we've made over the last few years but "Exploring" probably about sums up our aims for this one. The idea is to find some out of the way places away from the popular spots though we will be visiting civilisation from time to time, we don't plan to rough it all the time.

Yesterday we boarded the Pont Aven at Plymouth and set sail for Santander on the north coast of Spain. The boarding was a shock as we encountered queues at Plymouth for the first time ever. This was going to be a busy ship on its first sailing to Spain from Plymouth in 2023.

View attachment 733459

The Pont Aven used to be regarded as Brittany Ferries' flag ship but I don't think that's the case anymore, although I could be wrong. :) She has had a bit of a refit recently but not much has changed internally, new carpets in the Piano Bar and Flora restaurant but otherwise she's the same old vessel - and we like her! :)

The weather was not encouraging, the shipping forecast for Plymouth and Biscay where we were heading was sea state rough to very rough and winds rising to Force 8. :(

It was bumpy at times but not too much. The worst was the rain in the evening - walking Charlie on the dog exercise deck in rain and gusty wind was not pleasant. Fortunately, Charlie wasn't enjoying it either and did what was required fairly promptly.

We had booked a table in the Flora restaurant but the latest we could eat was 18:30, the last sitting was full but that was only 18:45. I'm not sure if these timing are always like that or this was a one off because afterwards two groups of disabled young people were called in, one after the other after all the rest of us had finished. Perhaps they do have later bookings but they had been pre-booked somehow?

But it matters not and eating early by our standards reduced the pre-dinner alcohol intake, and probably for the better, a glass of a Cóte de Provence was €8. :oops:

The restaurant has also suffered a bit of price inflation and the menu is now €42. :oops::oops:

But it wasn't a bad meal and after the Club Voyage discount the cost for two of us including a modest bottle of wine was about €75. Extravagant perhaps but we take the trip as a one day cruise and enjoy ourselves. :)

The first course is a help yourself cold buffet.

View attachment 733425

Very easy to pile too much on your plate - I think I showed great restraint!

I had the Dish of the Day, some very well cooked pork, tender and not at all dry with potatoes and artichoke quarters, pea shoots and some unidentifiable fragments.

View attachment 733427

Mrs DBK went for mushroom stuffed pasta. It was nice but far too much for her.

View attachment 733432

I had cheese afterwards. There were five cheeses to begin with but I'd scoffed one before remembering to take a photo. Mrs DBK had a pudding of some sort (obviously not that full :) ) but I neglected to photograph it so you will just have to insert something yummy from your memory bank here.

View attachment 733433

This morning we awoke to....sunshine! What a difference being 300 miles or so south makes! The sea wasn't flat but it was better than it had been the previous evening.

Disembarking the ship was slow, it seemed to take ages before the ramp was lowered and we were also warned over the tannoy clearing the port would also be delayed. Being on the bottom vehicle deck has its advantages, you may be last to board but you are first off. And yes there was a long queue at the passport control as only two lanes were open but as we got there the number of lanes suddenly increased from two to at least six and we were soon through. But it was a false dawn as we then hit another queue where those with pets (mascotas) were shunted off to one side and in a tent Charlie was zapped for his microchip and his £200 Animal Health Certificate officially endorsed to allow his entry into Spain. I'm not sure he appreciated this kindness as a little later he left a large puddle on the first bit of Spanish soil he encountered. 🐶

Coming out of Santander port Google Maps would have had me turning in all directions but I ignored the noises off and just followed the signs for Torrelavega where there are more supermarkets than you can shake a stick at in a small area. It was vwalan who put me on to this place for which many thanks. It's easily reached now from Santander as they have finished the dual carriageway although the very end just as you reach Torrelavega is still a bit of "work in progress". It is dual carriageway but you must get in the left hand lane early.

We shopped at Aldi then switched to Carrefour to find a travel hairdryer which fortunately they had. Mrs DBK's previous model had blown up in the cabin this morning! :)

From Torrelavega we headed south and by numerous tunnels and viaducts climbed up to nearly 900m to the free parking at Corconte, CamperContact 73256. (blue blob lower centre)

View attachment 733448

View attachment 733449

The parking here is close to the Embalse del Ebro and the source of the Ebro, Spain's longest river (possibly) is close by. We saw a sign for the source, the Nacimiento del Río Ebro on the way and I'm putting that down as "close enough". Just consider it as a drive-by visit to the source of the Ebro. We probably should have put in a swerve to see it as it's a noted beauty spot but on the basis we are avoiding crowds where possible I'm happy with our Close Encounter.

And that's about it so far on this trip. Taking the ruinously expensive ferry has at least allowed us, despite our late start to get ahead of Lenny HB who is still stuck in France dodging Molatov cocktails. :)
Great to see your posts again. Really enjoyed your previous French posts and was lucky enough to meet you and Mrs DBK at St Flour last year. Looking forward to your Spanish adventures, always interesting and lovely photos.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Great story and you do find some very beautiful sites/scenes.

These, as far as I could make out, are genuine dinosaur footprints on rock which must have been removed and brought here.
There were some relocated to outside Brighton museum and when the guide pointed them out an American tourist exclaimed that she hadn't realised that they came so close to the shops.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
The €5 charge for a dog is a swizz. You would think at that price they would provide one, but no, you have to bring your own!
If they ask us now on site do we have a dog we just say yes.
As we have 2 Jacks I cannot see why we should pay the same for each one as someone who has like we see at Swiss Cottage some sort of mountain dog the size of a bear😁😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back