Some people don’t want the work ! (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I need my hotand cold pipes insulating under my van (PVC) and thought I could do it myself but the wheel ramps I have are too steep to get the van up, so I thought I would call CaravanAndy who I’ve seen around the town, he is a mobile caravan and Motorhome service engineer.
I rang Him and told him what the job was and he refused saying “I don’t do PVC,s my PL Cover will not let me”. Very odd it’s not gas piping so not much chance of blowing us up with faulty work, worst that could happen is I loose a load of water onto the ground.
What jobs do you need doing but cannot get anyone to do for you ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I need my hotand cold pipes insulating under my van (PVC) and thought I could do it myself but the wheel ramps I have are too steep to get the van up, so I thought I would call CaravanAndy who I’ve seen around the town, he is a mobile caravan and Motorhome service engineer.
I rang Him and told him what the job was and he refused saying “I don’t do PVC,s my PL Cover will not let me”. Very odd it’s not gas piping so not much chance of blowing us up with faulty work, worst that could happen is I loose a load of water onto the ground.
Couldn't you get some different ramps?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Or even find a garage with a pit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Doesn't want the work or PL won't let him?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Couldn't you get some different ramps?
Not seen any that will be suitable
Find a couple of three or four foot scaffolding planks and fasten them to your ramps and it will lessen the slope. I have to use them for my car as it’s so low.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
He obviously doesn't need the work .. if it were me I'd get all the bits and do it myself if you don't have the room just find a quiet carpark or similar..at least you know that's it's done right and if it ever gets snagged and comes off you can quickly repair yourself.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
He obviously doesn't need the work .. if it were me I'd get all the bits and do it myself if you don't have the room just find a quiet carpark or similar..at least you know that's it's done right and if it ever gets snagged and comes off you can quickly repair yourself.
To be honest I am not a DIY expert, I would be worried that things would fall off if I did it🥴 I can do little jobs.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
To be honest I am not a DIY expert, I would be worried that things would fall off if I did it🥴 I can do little jobs.
Lol...well if you were near me I'd give you a hand one weekend..

Must be other funsters near by who have a bit of time ?🤔

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
I had similar, our local mobile caravan engineer would not take the job of servicing my oven,and he was gas registered.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Actually it is a plague related to trades people and not only Motorhome related. Can we get somebody to fix a leak in our roof at home - no. Asked 8 different companies half of them made an appointment and then didn’t turn up. 4 have promised to give a quote nothing arrived.
Good for them if they are busy but they could have had the balls or courtesy to say they are too busy. This is not just related to the one project. When they train for their qualifications they should go through as part NBQ’s or whatever they have some basic interpersonal skills should be included as part of the course. Maybe that should have come from their parents anyhow. Rant over and sorry not solving your issue!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Actually it is a plague related to trades people and not only Motorhome related. Can we get somebody to fix a leak in our roof at home - no. Asked 8 different companies half of them made an appointment and then didn’t turn up. 4 have promised to give a quote nothing arrived.
Good for them if they are busy but they could have had the balls or courtesy to say they are too busy. This is not just related to the one project. When they train for their qualifications they should go through as part NBQ’s or whatever they have some basic interpersonal skills should be included as part of the course. Maybe that should have come from their parents anyhow. Rant over and sorry not solving your issue!
Have you tried ianthebuilder .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Actually it is a plague related to trades people and not only Motorhome related. Can we get somebody to fix a leak in our roof at home - no. Asked 8 different companies half of them made an appointment and then didn’t turn up. 4 have promised to give a quote nothing arrived
We have same problem only a small felt roof and like trying to find hens teeth to get someone to do it, I come from building trade background but don’t want to do it myself. The responses are to busy or a really high quote because they don’t want the work or they don’t even bother to reply.
I have now got someone interested so🤞🤞🤞

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Don’t bother with Check-A-Trade or whatever it’s called. My son used a company on that website for a new bathroom…..total rubbish job, then went bust after payment. 🤷‍♂️

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Isnt this the reason that Pimlico Plumbers became so successful - despite charging premium rates they get repeat business as they turn up at the appointed time (I'm only basing this on news items as they don't cover North Wales).

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I can understand the Tech not wanting to lay on the ground under a van getting all the road dirt etc falling on his face. Much cleaner jobs more appealing.
Had a few sessions under ours on back and don't relish doing more, However have now found a local company in Waterlooville who hire out hoist space by the hour height and weight not a problem.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I needed a welder .... gave up in the end.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The problem with this sort of job, for someone in business is comebacks if something goes wrong somewhere down the line, not worth the hassle or it has to be way over charged to allow for it.
Far better doing it yourself.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Far better doing it yourself.
Hi.
Cue.....Chaser will now come out with an old JCB and dig you a Pit........... at a GOOD price as well........... THEN..you can do it yourself. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;)
Tea Bag
PS. Go on Chaser,you know you want a run out to Lancashire,you and your lass could then take in a show at Blackpool before heading back. Win win !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back