Fuel tank empty warning light. (1 Viewer)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I have a Peugeot Boxer based van 2.2 , year 2010. Fuel gauge seems to be pretty accurate. My question is: How far would you feel comfortable driving once the "Near-empty" warning light comes on. I know i can do at least 10 miles once this light is on, but how much further? there is an ASDA 15 miles from my house and this warning light has just come on. I can save £10 on a full tank by making it to ASDA - it is on my route anyway so no silly deviating just to save a few bob. What would you do?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I have a Peugeot Boxer based van 2.2 , year 2010. Fuel gauge seems to be pretty accurate. My question is: How far would you feel comfortable driving once the "Near-empty" warning light comes on. I know i can do at least 10 miles once this light is on, but how much further? there is an ASDA 15 miles from my house and this warning light has just come on. I can save £10 on a full tank by making it to ASDA - it is on my route anyway so no silly deviating just to save a few bob. What would you do?
wouldn't risk it. it will cost you a lot more than £10 to unblock carb and fuel lines. always keep at least 1/4 tank full

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I had a 2015 Autotrail on a Fiat chassis, I drove for 40 miles after the yellow low fuel light came on, and when I refilled it there was still 10 litres in the tank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You've probably got a range remaining option on the dash? The light comes on at about 70 miles. And even when it gets to zero, there's still a further reserve.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
My range remaining option goes off once the warning light comes on, a sensible option.

I'd pull in as soon a practible and buy five litres to get me to a cheaper option.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I think it will do 50 miles with light on, but I’d never let the light come on as I like a full tank, but then, I also wouldn’t run Asda fuel.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All the Ducato's I've had once the fuel light comes you have at least 50 miles left, several times I've done 10 to 15 miles after the light has come on and when filling up there has been 10 - 15 Lt still in the tank.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Fuel warning lights are very pessimistic by design.
I used to work for Land Rover R&D, on Discovery 2 (the early independently sprung one) there was an 'apparent misfire' introduced by the ECU at about 70 miles or range to nudge drivers to refuel.
This is because on a diesel running out of fuel is a problem to rebleed the system and to avoid damaging cats etc.

Actual range was at least 50 miles from when when the lamp came on and probably more.

In my view 15 miles from the lamp illuminating would be quite safe (but a little stressful!)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
RTM :rofl:
That’ll say what the remaining capacity is when the light comes on.
Then use your worst typical MPG to gauge a trip to pump.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
In the old days we used to make it from chester service station on the m56 to morrisons in Bredbury Stockport when the red light came on. It was a work transit . Used to be chugging gasping for diesel when we arrived

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
That’ll say what the remaining capacity is when the light comes on
Our 56 plate boxer, the low fuel light comes on with 8lt diesel left 👍🏻
So, I can expect to get to a pump not much more than 44miles away at 25mpg. Where I chose a poor mpg for our MH

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My range remaining option goes off once the warning light comes on, a sensible option.

I'd pull in as soon a practible and buy five litres to get me to a cheaper option.
I carry 5 litres in a can after running low in the Pyrenees and having to slog up to Andorra for fuel - it was really cheap though

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Alernative view #2

Always use good qualiity fuel. It is worth paying for.

I always use Shell V-Power. It really does give you more mpg and is cleaner for the engine.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
50 miles. Go to Asda,but if you come across any good quality diesel on the way,fill yer tank. :giggle:

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
A number of years ago I learnt the hard way not to ignore low reading on any fuel gauge. We were travelling to France on the Portsmouth LeHavre crossing. At that time fuel was significantly cheaper in France so I deliberately let the level be low so as to fill up in France. The car was a Mondeo diesel estate. What I had not planned for was where I would be parked on the ferry. I was at the front on an upper ramp at the front. At disembarkation the ramp was lowered at an angle and what little fuel I had flowed to one end of the tank. Consequently no start! We were pushed of by some ill tempered French Seamen. On level ground a squeeze of the priming pump got us going and off to the fuel station. Wife and 3 kids not happy.

I can laugh now but at the time things were a bit tense!

PS I apologise if any of you were stuck behind a white Mondeo

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
50 miles. Go to Asda,but if you come across any good quality diesel on the way,fill yer tank. :giggle:
Or do it the FUN way, pay many thousands for a van, add on loads of other fancy bits costing many more thousands then put the cheapest most low quality fuel in it you can find.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Not the clearest picture but you can make out where the diesel and water have separated. This came out of the fuel filter on my work van last year, Supermarket fuel... Nevet again.
IMG_1938.JPG

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
A lot of people comment on "fuel quality" on here but how do you know exactly what is going into your tank (short of draining off a sample to inspect - not the most practical of ideas). At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your chance anywhere you fill up, surely?

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
A number of years ago I learnt the hard way not to ignore low reading on any fuel gauge. We were travelling to France on the Portsmouth LeHavre crossing. At that time fuel was significantly cheaper in France so I deliberately let the level be low so as to fill up in France. The car was a Mondeo diesel estate. What I had not planned for was where I would be parked on the ferry. I was at the front on an upper ramp at the front. At disembarkation the ramp was lowered at an angle and what little fuel I had flowed to one end of the tank. Consequently no start! We were pushed of by some ill tempered French Seamen. On level ground a squeeze of the priming pump got us going and off to the fuel station. Wife and 3 kids not happy.

I can laugh now but at the time things were a bit tense!

PS I apologise if any of you were stuck behind a white Mondeo

Pleased to see you spelt "seamen" correctly (i think😁)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back