Motorhome owners lash out at Devon 'ban' proposal (2 Viewers)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't know what time of day this was videoed but this is what the signs say.

1615626843887.png

But a number of them (motorhomes \ campervans) had their blinds closed.
Saw something similar back in 2013 but not quite as bad.
And we wonder why some local communities get brassed off!:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Not condoning the wall to wall parking, but it only take a van to park up next to the sign and then other racking up will see it and most will not make the effort to look for parking signs, thinking ‘well everyone else is parked, we will be OK’ not goo.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
If we don't respect these signs in car parks we only have ourselves to blame,my big worry is the smaller vans with no facilities just emptying their waste and toilet wherever they want to , I challenged a couple of guys in a campervan just about to do that in Glencoe park up , I took a photo of van and registration told them I was calling the police , they moved on but would have done same thing at there new park up , please don't leave anything but tyre marks , or we won't have these park up places for much longer .

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would think most of them are Surfers and will just find somewhere else to park.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Overnight stays are prohibited on the Parade and on most parking places in that are that area.

What I do not understand, if the Council and the Parking Enforcement Officers are not keep the ticketing up to date, persuing non payers and then impounding vehicles, as is their right unde the By Laws, what is the point of a new law?

I suspect that it will move from a Civil Offence and the responsibility of the Council to enforce and make it a Police enforcement matter.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not condoning the wall to wall parking, but it only take a van to park up next to the sign and then other racking up will see it and most will not make the effort to look for parking signs, thinking ‘well everyone else is parked, we will be OK’ not goo.
More than one sign along the road.
There are also many many cars parked.
Residents from the other side of the road which has double yellow lines.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

View attachment 473136

Neither of those signs appear to ban anything between 9pm & 8 am?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What about Sleeping, Cooking, Camping and Personal ablutions which seem to be PROHIBITED at any time to me ;)
Think the question is around "likely to cause a breach of the peace":unsure:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
"Explaining why campsites are unsuitable for motorhomes, she said that they are usually made up of grass pitches, which are unsuitable to the weights of motorhomes, they are usually some way from the facilities needed by motorhomers - pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops etc which are usually closed between October and Easter - when the majority of motorhomers want to be on the road, motorhomers don’t want or need the facilities provided by campsites - toilet blocks, showers, entertainment, bars etc, and motorhomers don’t “camp”, since all activities take place within the vehicle, they park."

So do they or don't they want them?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
"Explaining why campsites are unsuitable for motorhomes, she said that they are usually made up of grass pitches, which are unsuitable to the weights of motorhomes, they are usually some way from the facilities needed by motorhomers - pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops etc which are usually closed between October and Easter - when the majority of motorhomers want to be on the road, motorhomers don’t want or need the facilities provided by campsites - toilet blocks, showers, entertainment, bars etc, and motorhomers don’t “camp”, since all activities take place within the vehicle, they park."

So do they or don't they want them?
I think she says we want to be near pubs, restaurants, cafes and shops etc
but don’t need campsite facilities like shower blocks and on site entertainment,bars etc.
must admit it is not very well put together🤔
but at least trying to make the point 😊

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp

View attachment 473136

They’ve got the signage, rather than be up in arms why aren’t they ticketing the offenders ie. those parked between 9 pm on & 8 am and enforcing whatever the fines are? If everyone knows they are doing it then they won’t park there. In St. Andrews they plaster your vans with notices telling you they’ll fine you before you even think about overnighting where you shouldn’t!!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

View attachment 473136

Doesn't that sign apply to the car park behind it not necessarily the road?

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
They’ve got the signage, rather than be up in arms why aren’t they ticketing the offenders ie. those parked between 9 pm on & 8 am and enforcing whatever the fines are? If everyone knows they are doing it then they won’t park there. In St. Andrews they plaster your vans with notices telling you they’ll fine you before you even think about overnighting where you shouldn’t!!

I agree, the councils should just crack on with throwing tickets on each and every one of them and ensuring they ruthlessly collect the substancial penalties due, even if that means impounding vehicles. Until the % of owners that think the rules do not apply to them feel some significant financial pain, they will just carry on their selfish behaviour.

I know not all will agree, but if the only place to park legally overnight in an area is on a campsite, then either pay the money and use the campsite, or start the engine and drive to a different area that provides legal parking of the type you desire.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Worked in Aberystwyth , yrs ago campers parked along esplanade for days on end , banned overnite , but for a nominal fee you can park overnite down near the lifeboat station no problem , it’s works .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back