Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Asking because I don’t know! (No change there then😄)
Should the BritStops or any other like site, go App based what prevents me *borrowing* a friends account and getting the info foc? Agreed it can be done with a book, but nowhere as easily.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Jim as you say, people expect apps to be cheap. App is often free and then subscribe annually for data.
The price would have to be lower but at say £9.99 annual the take up could be more than three times the subscribers.
Your note Re older people is spot on. Look at National Trust, brilliant app but still the printed book

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What is the difference between an app and an ordinary web page?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I like Britstops, the team work hard to produce a very useful collection of stopovers, printed or digital I hope survives and thrives, with so many new motorhome owners we need every pitch we can get

Agreed it’s a brilliant concept, just needs to move along with the times 😊

I’m surprised how few of the older generation don’t have email or surf the net.

Im no tech wiz but find my way around 😊

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Should the BritStops or any other like site, go App based what prevents me *borrowing* a friends account and getting the info foc? Agreed it can be done with a book, but nowhere as easily.

Ahh yes you’ve just reminded me.

Can I have my book back please The Dotties 😂

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As I see it Britstops needs to be an app, and as they aren’t we have never used Britstops. So I’ve just paid and signed up for the first time, to support their cause, and hope that support also pushes them towards developing an app.

Good luck Britstops, and I wish you success in your business.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Agreed it’s a brilliant concept, just needs to move along with the times 😊

I’m surprised how few of the older generation don’t have email or surf the net.

Im no tech wiz but find my way around 😊
Not great for Steve but with all these newbie motorhomers part of me wants to keep it a secret because we really will be hunting for places to stay later this year!!! :LOL:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes it can be shared like that, Britstops don't know who owns the device so impossible to stop that. Readly limit it by only allowing 5 devices on each account.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
But will the newbies want to stay in a car park.

There’s many on here that still only use sites 😊
Car parks and Aires etc are ok for an overnight stop when you're on your way somewhere. A rest from driving, eat food, have a sleep and away again. We don't even leave the van on Aires.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Your conscience perhaps? I think if you did it once to see if you thought you’d like it then fine but if you kept doing it then I think it’s a bit fraudulent. My opinion only but you did ask.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Your conscience perhaps? I think if you did it once to see if you thought you’d like it then fine but if you kept doing it then I think it’s a bit fraudulent. My opinion only but you did ask.
Carolyn,
Being an honest, upright sort of chap, pillar of the community etc,😂
I was wondering from the BritStop viewpoint. Could the app be tied down to prevent unfair downloads

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Many apps are purchased and locked to a phone, or iPad, so only allowed on one device. My satnav app is one of them. It’s far easier to give someone else my book whilst they go away, photocopy various pages, or give/sell them last years book, which will mainly be correct. Can’t see why it’s any different to the acsi app.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No different than just asking the pub direct with no membership.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bought the book about 4 years ago only used one stop a pick your own farm & they weren't interested I was a member.
Not bothered since, I found the book awkward to use.
I would give it another try if it was an app or website.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Car parks and Aires etc are ok for an overnight stop when you're on your way somewhere. A rest from driving, eat food, have a sleep and away again. We don't even leave the van on Aires.
We have found many aires (obv not in the UK) that we have spent several nights on to visit nearby towns or villages, it's what 'touring' means to us rather than getting somewhere.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I feel I have to mention this again, it's link has been on twice but no one seems to take any notice.
This website does everything you all want it's not an app but a webpage wrote by a fun member and it lists all the pubs you can stay at complete with phone numbers and everything else you need to know just by clicking on the pub on the map you are interested in.
Does everything and more than britstops and it is free.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Carolyn,
Being an honest, upright sort of chap, pillar of the community etc,😂
I was wondering from the BritStop viewpoint. Could the app be tied down to prevent unfair downloads
You’re asking me about technology now so I’ve no idea!! I expect there will be if they bring out an app and why not if they are doing the work.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We bought the book, once, but didn't use it. In fact, we never use books now - only apps. They're so much easier and more convenient.

Britstops is a good idea, and we may subscribe again if they did a reasonably-priced app.- certainly not if they stick with a book. When we're looking for a pub stopover, we use Search for Sites or Facebook. We always phone ahead, eat in the pub, and we've never had a problem in finding somewhere.

The main problem with stop overs in the UK, though, is lack of emptying facilities. Particularly, in times of Covid, we don't use anything but our own facilities, and we can't go more than 2 days without emptying the cassette. This would prevent us from making extensive use of stop overs without frequently alternating with campsites.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't now use it but have done in the past, and have used France passion, what britstops is based on, for a few years, and they now have an app so don't see why britstops hasn't.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The main problem with stop overs in the UK, though, is lack of emptying facilities. Particularly, in times of Covid, we don't use anything but our own facilities, and we can't go more than 2 days without emptying the cassette. This would prevent us from making extensive use of stop overs without frequently alternating with campsites.
Why not carry a second cassette we do & can last at least 6 days. Our last van was even better as it had a bench loo with the spare we could do 8 days.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Why not carry a second cassette we do & can last at least 6 days. Our last van was even better as it had a bench loo with the spare we could do 8 days.
We have got a second cassette, but are loth to use it 😬.

We just don't fancy the consequences of having a shunt when we're driving around with a box full of poo in the garage 😨.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Yes it can be shared like that, Britstops don't know who owns the device so impossible to stop that. Readly limit it by only allowing 5 devices on each account.
one per van registration if the registered Van is not there ..................as for older people not using it Broken Link Removed I spend all my working day using technology, I really enjoy the pleasure of a book whether it be fact fiction or informative
and I'm NOT 60 yet :swear2:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I have never bought the book , I do like the idea of Britstops but I would prefer an App

If app development is a lot of work and money I wondered in the interim if BritStops had considered offering a kindle version of the paper book ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have got a second cassette, but are loth to use it 😬.

We just don't fancy the consequences of having a shunt when we're driving around with a box full of poo in the garage 😨.
If the rear end of my van was that badly smashed I think a bit of poo in the garage would be the least of my worries. Mines in a plastic box with a lid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back