s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Is that right? I've been under the impression that the overall number of pubs was decreasing............ :unsure:
Yes thatā€™s true, Spriddler.
However there are still 47,200 pubs in the UK, despite a decrease of approx 7,600 in the last ten years.
Given the historic problems theyā€™ve faced and now the disastrous effects of the pandemic, weā€™re hoping once the restrictions are relaxed, Britstoppers can help bring more trade their way.
Steve šŸ˜Š

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I love the concept of Britstops but it reminds me so much of Yellow Pages and Thompson Local

Bad for businesses as they must wait upto a year to appear in the latest version and get any benefits

Bad for consumers as once printed the info is inaccurate and thereā€™s no way of knowing if the operator is still in business or if theyā€™re any good as there is no review system

Bad for the environment as it must be wasteful to throw away and re print a heavy book every year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I love the concept of Britstops but it reminds me so much of Yellow Pages and Thompson Local

Bad for businesses as they must wait upto a year to appear in the latest version and get any benefits

Bad for consumers as once printed the info is inaccurate and thereā€™s now way of knowing if the operator is still in business or if theyā€™re any good as there is no review system

Bad for the environment as it must be wasteful to throw away and re print a heavy book every year
Once you are signed up there are monthly up-dates from Steve, very efficient and accurate, just needs a bit of work to print off and up-date the book for yourself.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
just needs a bit of work to print off and up-date the book for yourself.

Thatā€™s exactly the point Iā€™m making
Inaccurate and outdated info - bad for consumers
Just imagine if Yellow Pages sent out an update every month - bonkers

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thatā€™s exactly the point Iā€™m making
Inaccurate and outdated info - bad for consumers
Just imagine if Yellow Pages sent out an update every month - bonkers

Just phone in advance of setting off to the BritStop and ask. I always do this anyway, because I think it's polite and I want them to know to expect me. I also see if they (the pub) are fully booked for eating and drinking etc and I ask them where is best for me to park.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Not user friendly then ?

How do you know if the Britstop is any good of if the host is welcoming ?

If your idea of a two minute call, phoning prior to setting off, is not user friendly I give up. Quicker than reading reviews. When you stay on a camp site don't you ring up, check availability and pay as well?

If you have a negative experience contact BritStops. I did this when I was told a Stop wasn't taking any more BritStoppers during the pandemic.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Dont know why it would be bad for the consumer.

One reason itā€™s bad for the consumer is because itā€™s very expensive and wasteful to re print a big book every year.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When you stay on a camp site don't you ring up, check availability and pay as well?
How outdated
In the modern world you check availability and book online. Paying online is also safer than giving your card details to some stranger over the phone

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
One reason itā€™s bad for the consumer is because itā€™s very expensive and wasteful to re print a big book every year.
Totally agree it's a bit like CAMC updates cant be bothered too antiquated in this technology aged environment much prefer campercontact etc.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just imagine if Britstops evolved for the digital age

Businesses can add themselves online and are immediately available to visitors

You could quickly and easily find the sites closest to you and the best route there

You could sort sites to suit your requirements. Eg quiet, busy, pubs, not pubs

You could leave a review to help future visitors and the host

Just imagine how many tress could be saved by not re printing a big book every year

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Are those reviews grouped so you can see all the reviews for any site ?

Would that change your outlook?

But, to answer your question, I have no idea.
I use the hosts as a matter of convenience rather than a destination in themselves so have little interest in feedback from an individual who may have been having a bad day or who might think that having four lagers on the bar means itā€™s a great beer pub. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Ian

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Would that change your outlook?

But, to answer your question, I have no idea.
I use the hosts as a matter of convenience rather than a destination in themselves so have little interest in feedback from an individual who may have been having a bad day or who might think that having four lagers on the bar means itā€™s a great beer pub. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Ian
I might change my opinion if there was a pattern of good / bad reviews

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I wonder how much money Britstops loses every year when people re use last years book and dont buy a new one?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I might change my opinion if there was a pattern of good / bad reviews
Of an establishment, or of Britstops as an entity?

I wonder how much money Britstops loses every year when people re use last years book and dont buy a new one?
They may not gain revenue but they wonā€™t lose any money. If it wasnā€™t a viable business model, the business wouldnā€™t survive.

Ian

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
They may not gain revenue but they wonā€™t lose any money. If it wasnā€™t a viable business model, the business wouldnā€™t survive.

Ian

As I said in my first post Iā€™m a great fan on the concept of Britstops, however I believe that itā€™s method of delivery is somewhat outdated and is likely to suffer the same fate as Yellow Pages unless they or a competitor steps up and offers a more modern and sustainable version

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Three years ago we joined Britstops for 1 year only. Didnt use any of the entries and did not renew.Good idea though but needs to be app based now.We prefer to find our own way,more rewarding when you get it right!!!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I thoroughly enjoy sitting with the map and Britstops so that I have some idea of stop overs if I need/want to stay in an area longer than planned I have not had my own van very long in the scheme of things but did not buy it with the intention of being on campsites,
I had a great breakfast and EHU for Ā£6 which set me up for another few days(still no solar panels)
I have had some lovely stops meals and coffee at some and have not eaten/drunk beer at others. There is one that I have used regularly and is not far from home as my first long weekend away and not having a clue what I was doing called in on day out with my friend to check that the book worked. It did, I asked could I call on the bank holiday expecting a 'NO', but 'yes come on down and stay as long as you like', every time I have been as I love walking in the area I have had a wonderful welcome and met some lovely other campers and enjoyed the food that I have found although some people say is expensive a meal and a drink for about Ā£20 is good value to me.
I was told by the gardener that the carpark was under consideration for CCTV charging but vans will still be welcome. I hope so
Finally this thread has made me realise its February, must order my new book.
1612715401014.png

Just ordered and paid for mine

Last edited:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I don't see a problem that it is book based. There are monthly updates that takes a couple of minutes to scribble into the book. Downside for businesses is they can't be added for up to a year, but otherwise it's more accurate than many other apps that rely on people to add their reviews. Why does Search4sites, as an example still list places where MH parking was banned over a year ago?

Your book is your confirmation of membership, if the Britstop wants to check you. It will of course be recycleable when it is renewed so is it really that environmentally a problem?

Those who want to be able to book by some sort of app, remember the host sites are small. Are they really going to spend effort setting up websites for booking you in. Most CS / CL don't so why would Britstops. You'll add to costs and create a barrier for them offering the stopover.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Once you are signed up there are monthly up-dates from Steve, very efficient and accurate, just needs a bit of work to print off and up-date the book for yourself.
If Iā€™ve got to do half the updating and printing I want only to pay half

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Those who want to be able to book by some sort of app, remember the host sites are small. Are they really going to spend effort setting up websites for booking you in.

You donā€™t book via the app.

The app stoops you having to look through endless pages.

An app would know where you are and you can then look for Brit stops in that area or further afield.

You find where you want to stop and tap on the pubs icon.
That opens up and gives you all the details you need.

Simples šŸ˜Š

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I also think Britstops would be better being an app. Everyone carries their phones around with them so can check out a place to go at any time without having to remember where they left the book etc. The app could be updated by the owner easier and more often than sending out emails to everyone which then they have to scribble down or print off and tuck in the book. The app could have a link to google maps to show exactly where it is and access, directions etc. It would be available to a wider audience. And I think the cost of a app would be cheaper than the book so more peaple would buy it. I did buy the book when it first come out and used it on a couple of occasions and think the idea is great but would not buy it every year but if it was a app I would. Just my thoughts. :drinks:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Every one of us here has at least two things in common: a love of motorhomes and the ability to get online. However, you would be amazed at how many motorhome owners (of a certain age) who wouldn't know what an app is. An unbelievable 2 and sometimes 3 in 5 of the people who turn up at our tea tent at a showground and ask to join motorhomefun, use their son's or a friend's email address! "Our Kevin will deal with that for us" All these people would prefer a printed guide and probably yellow pages over google. To be honest, I love eBay, but not as much as I loved the Exchange and Mart :D

As these people die or embrace technology, I imagine Britstops, if they wish to continue will have to look at an app. But it's a massive investment, our magazine app was straightforward and cost thousands to develop. And the biggie, people don't expect to pay too much for apps. That said Progressive Web Apps are making great strides and can be cheap; and I'd be surprised if Britstops wern't looking at them, as they could control access to data for their subscribers just like we can on a forum.

I like Britstops, the team work hard to produce a very useful collection of stopovers, printed or digital I hope survives and thrives, with so many new motorhome owners we need every pitch we can get.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back