Britstops (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I think it was France Passion that had their databse 'borrowed' rather than Britstops
Possibly both

1612461089465.png

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oh dear
Not an ethical way to run a business if correct
A pub is a pub whether it's a britstops or not is neither here nor there, if I had the inclination I could make a list of pubs that let you stop, as could anyone without charging for the privilege.
In fact we have an excellent website written by someone on here that lists 100s can't think what it is now maybe someone else can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I've been out in my camper (still building it now) four times. Each time I have stayed at a BritStops pub. Works out well for me because if I was at a campsite, after getting settled, I'd start thinking where's the pub and how do I get there. With BritStops I'm already there and free to enjoy a few pints of local ale without having to drive. I have eaten three of the four times. On the forth I was asked if I was going to eat but said I'd brought a curry to reheat but expressed my eagerness for a few pints. This was accepted and I stayed, spoke to the nice locals, enjoyed the local beers. It's great. And because it's updated every year the info is fairly accurate (unlike aps), although I always phone in advance to make sure.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Absolutely, I use every resource I can when finding somewhere to stay and travel, both online and paper. The advantage of books and maps is that you aren't peering at a small screen all the time, and no internet signal required. I dont mind paying as long as it has added value. The Britstops book and All the Aires are ones I buy most years

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all!

Just thought I'd pick up on a few points - apologies in advance if I don't namecheck everyone.

First, just in case anyone didn't know, we're motorhomers too, creating a scheme for other motorhomers (and ourselves too). We were inspired by using France Passion in 2009. We're on our fifth van now, trialling downsizing to a Globecar (still a bit nervous, tbh).

We fully update the book every year. Usually around 80-90 closures each year, but anywhere from 150-200 new hosts, and around 500-600 amendments made. We gather this info both during the year and by emailing and phoning our hosts personally, in the months leading up to putting the new book together. In addition, we send out monthly email newsletters containing important changes and mid-year closures as soon as we know about them. It's not reliant on others doing this work and uploading it. To be honest we see online lists where venues that we took out of Brit Stops more than a year ago are still listed, despite either being closed or no longer accepting stopovers.

It's nice to be supported, but please don't just buy the book to be nice to us! We stand by it as a useful piece of kit for any motorhomer in the UK and Ireland, and use it ourselves (even managed to get to a few this summer!) We think the scheme is good value for money, at pretty much the price of one night on a camp site. It hasn't been put up for four years now, despite getting bigger every year, and we only put up by 50p the last time anyway!

We start a new email mailing list every year from scratch, so we are not sending newsletters to those who have sold their van or moved to Spain, etc. And we never sell or gift our mailing list to anyone. Never have, never will.

As for an app, we haven't actually ruled it out. In fact we've been in talks about their apps with our friends in the European group (www.fefi.eu) we co-founded with France Passion and Landvergnügen, so you never know...

Finally, as we've said more than once before, Brit Stops may not be for everyone, and that's ok. We're not some kind of evangelical group! We want Brit Stops to be successful, of course, but it will only be so if it works for both Britstoppers and hosts. So far it seems to be working...

Stay safe everyone!

Steve 😊

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
We tried it for a couple of years, Like staying at pubs and have stayed at plenty since, but got fed up off all the updates and all the bits of paper that are involved.
I'm the same as you with the updates, this would be better if there was and online app updated by the owner every time there was a addition or a cancelation.
Best Wishes Tony

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I use search for sites it shows pub stopovers but shades britstops so then look up the pub and phone direct never been refused in 20 years.
Hi There
I'm the same as you; phone the pubs and never been refused; also having a rather large MH I check on google earth the size and enterance to their car park before phoning.
If Britsotps was an app I would purchace it.
I also believe that it's understood that you do not have to use the facilities of the pub in Britstops; but I would feel uncomfortabe if I stayed and did not use their facilities.
I assume that the pub is expecting you to use them for at least a few dirnks if not a meal as well.
Best Wishes Tony

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
This is very true, probably worse than parking in a secluded flt place, rival pubs or local householders might take offence about motorhomes being parked on a carpark, and you are probably uninsured and not legal.
Do not know where you have stayed at a Britstop listing chaser, but we have never once had an issue, and when stopping at a pub Britstop have often found neighbours interested in having a chat about Motorhoming, and why on earth do you make the statement "probably uninsured and not legal"

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
Where do we order it from? Have never used it. With so many MHs stuck in the uk at the moment probably as full timers I am embarrassed by the numbers parked for weeks around the area I live. On residential streets and preventing locals from parking near the beach. In Norway and Sweden where you can park anywhere, they ask that you are not within 100M (think) of a private home,or if you are in a public carpark they ask that you have moved by 8 or 9am but here it's a free for all at the moment on the South Coast thanks to Search4sites, so having enjoyed the sense of freedom in the past I now think I would prefer to use pubs etc that actually want you

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
BritStops Thanks for the update Steve, how is the 2021 update looking like ?
Hi orridge, pleased to report that we're on schedule to publish in a couple of weeks. We started the process of preparing for this year's book fearing the worst in terms of hosts ceasing trading, but were pleasantly surprised to find that we've had roughly the same number of "outs" and "ins" as in previous years. As always seems to be the case, we have a net gain, so the 2021 book will be the biggest yet.

We're also giving the website a bit of a refurb (for the first time since we began back in 2011!), which we're really hoping will be ready for the new book.

Steve 😊

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
, and why on earth do you make the statement "probably uninsured and not legal"

Maybe because it could be true, see GJH post way back.
I can't remember the exact discussion (certainly not the exact post) but, in essence, it's quite simple Clive Beeza.
The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 sets limits on use of land as a caravan site without having a site licence. A landowner breaching those limits breaks the law. The terms of the land owner's insurance may well mean that such an illegal act invalidates the policy, meaning that campers would not be covered by the landowner's insurance.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I suppose the question for law rests on at what point does a pub car park become a campsite.?
If you have one too many and sleep in the car( with the keys left behind the bar) is it now a campsite?

Is a recognised TruckStop a campsite?

Surely only an authority truly committed to wasting other peoples money would pursue that route

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Hi orridge, pleased to report that we're on schedule to publish in a couple of weeks. We started the process of preparing for this year's book fearing the worst in terms of hosts ceasing trading, but were pleasantly surprised to find that we've had roughly the same number of "outs" and "ins" as in previous years. As always seems to be the case, we have a net gain, so the 2021 book will be the biggest yet.

We're also giving the website a bit of a refurb (for the first time since we began back in 2011!), which we're really hoping will be ready for the new book.

Steve 😊
Out of interest, the pubs that opt out every year, do they give a reason why there opting out.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Out of interest, the pubs that opt out every year, do they give a reason why there opting out.
On this subject ish. I asked my local pub if they were interested in joining britstops. They declined as they thought it would limit them to only allowing britstops members to stay. They do occasionally have a motorhome or two staying. Well I say do, I mean did when we used to be able to.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Usually change of ownership or going out if business. There is a churn every year but the trend is an increase every year.
Also there are many other business other than pubs, farm shops, tourist attractions, retailers etc. Pubs account for about 80% of the listings.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Mikey RV, sadly for at least 90% of them it’s a case of having ceased trading. It’s been a very difficult time for pubs for a few years now.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I suppose the question for law rests on at what point does a pub car park become a campsite.?
If you have one too many and sleep in the car( with the keys left behind the bar) is it now a campsite?

Is a recognised TruckStop a campsite?
No, because the law applies to caravans not cars.
Depends. As pointed out several times many truckstops come under highways legislation.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
No, because the law applies to caravans not cars.
Depends. As pointed out several times many truckstops come under highways legislation.
Well Im really sorry if it has been “pointed out” several times, I must not have been paying attention or it may have been in one of the many other posts on here that I ignore

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Usually change of ownership or going out if business. There is a churn every year but the trend is an increase every year.
Is that right? I've been under the impression that the overall number of pubs was decreasing............ :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back