Portugal freecamping now illegal. (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
We went to Sagres for a couple of hours in November. It looked like a gypsy camp!

I am at a motorhome park in Silves... it too looks like a Gypsy camp but with slightly less gold jewellery on the men
Hi JJ,
Is that a cheap site or a reasonably priced one ?🤣🙄

Neither Dave (Ruth?)... it is a VERY well priced one... approximately €30...

JJ :cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
But the definition of a FLT is about MHs who put nothing into the system and as an excuse talk about freedom and the there right to roam and then complain about lack the shower block
What a total load of rubblsh...

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But the definition of a FLT is about MHs who put nothing into the system and as an excuse talk about freedom and the there right to roam and then complain about lack the shower block
I see you have only done 5 posts in 4 years perhaps that's why you don't understand the meaning.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I just looked up on Google Earth Maps Tomatoe Beach & Parking at Sagres to see where they were geographically.
The parking spots look OK, they must take the Ariel shots after a police clear out as they are pretty empty of MH's:giggle:
Its when you read the reviews for the parking area, that the main problem jumps out at you. I have copied and pasted the one below to give an example, this guy really is not doing us any favours with his length of stay mentality, infact fine the bugger for each night over a "sensible stay" touring period, like we discussed on another thread, i.e 72 hours as a maximum, he might learn something and give others a chance rather than blame the police for him & other setting up camp for long periods.
LES
Iñigo Ladislao Vidiella
Local Guide ・9 reviews

more_vert_black_18dp.png

ic_star_rate_14.png
ic_star_rate_empty_14.png
a month ago
(Translated by Google) I was parked for the night with the motorhome for 3 weeks. There is a very clear sign of not parking from 10 at night to 8 in the morning. Stop there because the Portuguese police (gnr) made me violently and hit my vehicle at 1 in the morning in the urban center of Sagres, where there was no prohibition sign, looking for a place to sleep after the police attack I found the parking lot from Sagres in the fortress with another 10 or 12 motorhomes, so I played it. The police passed by there several times a day for 21 days without saying anything or fining. After 22 days of being there about 30 policemen came and fined us and threw us all out of there ... very politely and correctly, I think because there were already more than 30 motorhomes there ... Total ... WE ARE SICK OF THE POLICE ARBITRARITY. WE ARE SICK OF MY MOTORHOMING BEATEN TO ME WITHOUT RESPECTING THE PRIVATE PROPERTY THAT IN OTHER CASES THEY DEFEND. WE ARE SICK OF BEING TREATED LIKE CRIMINALS, I have been living among vans, cars and now a motorhome for 30 years. No one ever came to do anything wrong to me. Only the police always bother me. I'M FILLED WITH THEM AND THE POLICE ONLY FEARS ME OF THEM. Any day of these I will take the solid stick that I always carry and hit my private property like they hit. And do not miss it, if you do not pay at the moment they will requisition your circulation permit. That is ILLEGAL .... GNR MAFIA

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I just looked up on Google Earth Maps Tomatoe Beach & Parking at Sagres to see where they were geographically.
The parking spots look OK, they must take the Ariel shots after a police clear out as they are pretty empty of MH's:giggle:
Its when you read the reviews for the parking area, that the main problem jumps out at you. I have copied and pasted the one below to give an example, this guy really is not doing us any favours with his length of stay mentality, infact fine the bugger for each night over a "sensible stay" touring period, like we discussed on another thread, i.e 72 hours as a maximum, he might learn something and give others a chance rather than blame the police for him & other setting up camp for long periods.
LES
Iñigo Ladislao Vidiella
Local Guide ・9 reviews

more_vert_black_18dp.png

ic_star_rate_14.png
a month ago
(Translated by Google) I was parked for the night with the motorhome for 3 weeks. There is a very clear sign of not parking from 10 at night to 8 in the morning. Stop there because the Portuguese police (gnr) made me violently and hit my vehicle at 1 in the morning in the urban center of Sagres, where there was no prohibition sign, looking for a place to sleep after the police attack I found the parking lot from Sagres in the fortress with another 10 or 12 motorhomes, so I played it. The police passed by there several times a day for 21 days without saying anything or fining. After 22 days of being there about 30 policemen came and fined us and threw us all out of there ... very politely and correctly, I think because there were already more than 30 motorhomes there ... Total ... WE ARE SICK OF THE POLICE ARBITRARITY. WE ARE SICK OF MY MOTORHOMING BEATEN TO ME WITHOUT RESPECTING THE PRIVATE PROPERTY THAT IN OTHER CASES THEY DEFEND. WE ARE SICK OF BEING TREATED LIKE CRIMINALS, I have been living among vans, cars and now a motorhome for 30 years. No one ever came to do anything wrong to me. Only the police always bother me. I'M FILLED WITH THEM AND THE POLICE ONLY FEARS ME OF THEM. Any day of these I will take the solid stick that I always carry and hit my private property like they hit. And do not miss it, if you do not pay at the moment they will requisition your circulation permit. That is ILLEGAL .... GNR MAFIA
Sounds like a total arse hole that gives us FLT a bad name.

Deleted User
LES
Iñigo Ladislao Vidiella
Local Guide ・9 reviews

more_vert_black_18dp.png

ic_star_rate_14.png
a month ago
Sagres is not Silves where JJ is at the moment.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
The bottom line is, it’s now the law in Portugal.
If you don’t like it, don’t visit, or stay on an aire or a site at night.

In my humble opinion, if you don’t obey the rules in the country you choose to visit, that’s kinda disrespectful and unacceptable and you deserve whatever comes your way. If you want to get a visit from the old bill at silly o’clock at night and face a fine, fill ya boots. In the end it’ll only make things worse.
No point in moaning about it 😘

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think you will find that if there are No signs indicating a Motorhome parking place for overnight, then you can assume that it’s Illegal, So it’s Aires or Camperstops only, seems fair enough, it’s been long overdue.

But I asked for sources of 'authorised' places because I would like to know information on how many places there are and where, before I decide to set off to drive approx. 1,500 miles from S. Poland to get there.

Geoff

Deleted User
But I asked for sources of 'authorised' places because I would like to know information on how many places there are and where, before I decide to set off to drive approx. 1,500 miles from S. Poland to get there.

Geoff

Camp sites and official camperstops are authorised.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
We only stay on sites, mainly because I don't want a knock on the door at silly o'clock after I've had a few beers! The vans more than capable for FLT, genny, equipped etc but couldn't be bothered with potential hassell......Some great sites in PT cheap too!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I believe from recent you tube viewing, that most touring in Portugal are aware of the recent ramp up on illegal parking especially near the coast & The Algarve in particular.
They seem to use apps like Camperstops & Search for sites, rather than Park4Nite as they are probably still showing sites that were OK before Jan, but now illegal.
You can check these authorised parking places/sites before you arrive, look at pictures, check facilities & get up to date reviews before you get there.
That should help nicholsong and anyone else that wants to tour Portugal when allowed, or in the future hopefully. (y)
Happy Safe Travels to all, But I reckon we may need to show proof of having the vaccine before entry in the coming months, which will hopefully alleviate the spread problem that all areas seem to be suffering from all over The UK & EU
LES

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Some more details, seems like daytime parking is about to become more complicated.

LATEST NEWS:

CONFIRMED CHANGES TO THE HIGHWAY CODE .... RELATING TO RV'S, MOTORHOMES AND CARAVANS... EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY FROM FRIDAY 8TH JAN 2021.

There are other changes to the Drink-Driving and use of Mobile Phones with increased Fines for each.

1- RV, Motorhome, Caravan, Campers are not allowed to be parked on Public Roads between the hours of 9pm - 7am: occupied or non-occupied.

2 - RV, Motorhome, Caravan, Campers MUST ONLY be parked in a parking bay that fits the size of the van including any over-hanging item such as the jockey-wheel (Caravan) or Bike Racks, tow-bars etc on the Leisure Vehicle.

3- FINES ON-THE-SPOT , or otherwise:

Parking on Public Roads outside of allowed hours and or Leisure vehicle's extending past the parking bay allocated:

€60-€300.00

Parking in a National Area or Protected Areas:

€120 - €600

source: RTP and CM pt:

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

OK those and Aires, but is that all? The government have not been helpful and providing information about the 'authorised' places.

Even in UK some authorities like Powys and Hereford have information on their websites about CPs which permit overnight MH parking.

Maybe we have to contact the tourist offices.

Geoff

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
OK those and Aires, but is that all? The government have not been helpful and providing information about the 'authorised' places.

Even in UK some authorities like Powys and Hereford have information on their websites about CPs which permit overnight MH parking.

Maybe we have to contact the tourist offices.

Geoff
What more do you want Geoff, it's quite plain what has been said. The party is over,don't know if you had visited Portugal but there were some great places to stop.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What more do you want Geoff, it's quite plain what has been said. The party is over,don't know if you had visited Portugal but there were some great places to stop.
Portugal is not hard to avoid so I'm going to be voting with my feet. My experiences with Portugese campsites haven't been great, and although there are a few nice aires they will probably all be full now and if I cant have the odd night on a dam or overlooking a nice view then I will go to the numerous other places where I can. Their toll system(s) are also a right pita IMO.

Edit to say I agree with all those who deplore the actions of the people who block up beauty spots for weeks.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I have not visited Portugal yet.

What there were in the past is irrelevant.

This thread so far has only listed campsites and camperstops, whatever that includes. There have been not one pointer to sources of information on those, nor on Aires and other 'authorised' MH overnight stops, sources for which is what I have been asking for.

If the end answer is that there are no Aires and other 'authorised' places other than campsites, which I doubt, then I shall probably not be driving the 1,500 miles to visit.

But without the information sources to read I am not in a position to decide.

Geoff

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The bottom line is, it’s now the law in Portugal.
If you don’t like it, don’t visit, or stay on an aire or a site at night.

In my humble opinion, if you don’t obey the rules in the country you choose to visit, that’s kinda disrespectful and unacceptable and you deserve whatever comes your way. If you want to get a visit from the old bill at silly o’clock at night and face a fine, fill ya boots. In the end it’ll only make things worse.
No point in moaning about it 😘
Exactly which is why i said on another thread ill possibly avoid Portugal.
If all the wildspots/unauthorized spots become impossible to stay it means the authorized ones become crowded and i dont like that . Lots of other countries to visit lots of other places to see.

Staying for weeks on end is the problem but i got tapped with the gnr in Portugal for staying one night on my own
If they decide to come down heavy then so be it ....they wont miss me im sure but then ill also not miss going there. .....its too far away from any non shengen zones anyway lol

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But don't come to greece because thats really really terrible.... honest its the worst place ive ever been ...no facilities terrible terrible people ...in fact i heard they are going to start shooting English people ....you have been warned

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My worry is that now that wild camping is banned in Portugal, more motorhomes will migrate back into Spain, compounding the problem already here in certain areas.

I'll be very sad if Spain goes down the same route of banning all overnight motorhome parking (except in official areas) as well 😥

Deleted User

This thread so far has only listed campsites and camperstops, whatever that includes. There have been not one pointer to sources of information on those, nor on Aires and other 'authorised' MH overnight stops, sources for which is what I have been asking for.

If the end answer is that there are no Aires and other 'authorised' places other than campsites, which I doubt, then I shall probably not be driving the 1,500 miles to visit.

Geoff
So you want other people to do the research for you?

I very much doubt that there is one authoritative source for this information covering the whole of Portugal, some of us know of a few, some of us may know of a lot but sites like Park4night do not specify.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Just consider for a moment those who live in Portugal who own motorhomes ! They must be furious that behaviour by visiting tourists has caused their government to make these new laws.
My brother has a property in the Algarve and also owns a motorhome, so weekend trips to the coast look to be a lost pleasure. He hopes that these new measures are aimed at giving the GNR the powers to issue on the spot fines to those that consistently cause problems, rather than those who act responsibly, but who knows.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Geoff
Loads of legal Camperstops,,,,Look on Campercontact,,BUSBY.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
But don't come to greece because thats really really terrible.... honest its the worst place ive ever been ...no facilities terrible terrible people ...in fact i heard they are going to start shooting English people ....you have been warned

And all of Wales is terrible as well, we don't want any if you dreadful motorhome types here either 🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back