Portugal freecamping now illegal. (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What continues to amaze me is that most of the main causes of motorhome problem makers, ie....staying in one place for months on end are from citizens of countries that have very tight restrictions on motorhome parking/overnighting....so the simple answer to the situation is Ban those who come from these countries. I started a list of European countries where unauthorized overnighting is not allowed, I got as far as Austria....can anyone fill in the missing countries....
Im not sure thats correct ...from my experience most of the longterm stayers are german , dutch and French

All these countries are very motorhome friendly.

Ive to date only paid for an aire twice ....both times in Portugal lol
And in germany i never used aires but instead used wildspots

Only spent 2 nights in Austria but both on wildspots, wildspots again in belgium and Luxembourg and in italy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Im not sure thats correct ...from my experience most of the longterm stayers are german , dutch and French

Only spent 2 nights in Austria but both on wildspots, wildspots again in belgium and Luxembourg and in italy

I've spent quite a few years touring Portugal and stopping the occasional night at freecamping spots, never been cautioned or fined, doesn't mean to say that it was legal, possibly just lucky.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've spent quite a few years touring Portugal and stopping the occasional night at freecamping spots, never been cautioned or fined, doesn't mean to say that it was legal, possibly just lucky.
My point was in response to jumar who thought long stayers were from countries with lots of restrictions....i dont think it is

In fact i think its mostly from countries who have a lot more free motorhome parking places ...so they are used to it

Deleted User
My point was in response to jumar who thought long stayers were from countries with lots of restrictions....i dont think it is

In fact i think its mostly from countries who have a lot more free motorhome parking places ...so they are used to it

I think that you have maybe reinforced jumar's point, those countries definitely do have a lot more free motorhome parking places but is overnighting allowed elsewhere?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I posted on this subject in the Autumn as we had to abandon our plans to take the van to Spain and Portugal. In the end I took my own advice and flew to Faro in October and stayed until December, so we avoided the second lockdown completely. We are lucky as both my daughter and brother live in Portugal in different locations so for the most part we didn’t pay for our accommodation. We did go on a road trip in a hired car and used Air B an B for stops at very reasonable cost, we could have spent even less if we had used hostels, and believe me some of them are excellent.
Check this one out.

We had a brilliant trip and spent much less than taking the van.

For info we paid £40 for two of us to fly to Faro, and similar to return.
€80 pw to hire a Renault Captur, less if a Clio is big enough.
Air B and B €30-45 per night
Hostels will charge approximately €16- 20 per night
Both of the above will discount for longer stays my daughter tells me one hostel in Lisbon charges €150 per month for a bunk room bed, and you would probably get a Air B and B for less than €500.

I’m really not sure what we will do next year.
Can't add anything to that, it's just a no brainer ,can't think of a thing you could do in a motorhome any better. But quite a few that could be worse.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No, but since I do not know the system in Portugal I do not know whether the places are authorised by central, regional or municipal authorities and in each one what dpartment one has to approach. Do the tourist offices hold information on 'authorised' places and can one find the information centrally or in each region?

Is there an association of campsite owners and what is its name? Are farms and vineyards authorised like CL/CS and where does one find a list of authorised ones?

On another point, does the law consider parking on farmland with the owner's consent to be 'authorised'? If so I could see a lot of opportunities for landowners to make a few bob if they do not exceed permitted limits needing a campsite licence.

I was hoping some people who know the country might help with those starter clues.

Geoff
Start with the Campercontact app. That is usually quick to remove unauthorised sites, unlike Park4Night Look at the photos on Campercontact and also go onto Google Maps and use Street View. Look to see what the notices say if you can find them. By the way that applies to all the other countries as well.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Just having a look and Search For Sites shows lots of overnight stops, some with swimming pools too, didn't see many over 10 euros either.

Campercontact didn't appear to have as many though.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A little partisan arrogance there - in your pc world pray tell what is acceptable reading?

You decide.

The interactive Media Bias chart here
The Daily Mail for example is surprisingly classed as only slightly right of centre, but is in between the "Unfair interpretations of the news" and the the "Nonsense damaging to public discourse" sectors.
A more truthful version of the news with a right wing bias would be the Evening Standard.

1610381176005.png

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think that you have maybe reinforced jumar's point, those countries definitely do have a lot more free motorhome parking places but is overnighting allowed elsewhere?
Yes ...like i said i never used any aires in any of those countries except to use the services...always parked elsewhere and had no hassles.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Geoff,

The only one i know of that specifically lists Portugal 'areas' is this one but I don't think its a definitive or 'official' list and don't know how up to date it is nowadays.

CampingCar Portugal

Pete

Thanks Pete for that. How are you? Do not see you posting much anywhere recently. Have you been following Tam's tour of Greece. It is a pity for him that the tavernas and kaphenions are shut because he will miss some of the Greek life because of that.

Now I need to find out what Service Areas are. I presume not the roadside petrol station type I hope. I also need to know what 'County' to put in their search engine - will play around tomorrow.

Geoff

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Pete for that. How are you? Do not see you posting much anywhere recently. Have you been following Tam's tour of Greece. It is a pity for him that the tavernas and kaphenions are shut because he will miss some of the Greek life because of that.

Now I need to find out what Service Areas are. I presume not the roadside petrol station type I hope. I also need to know what 'County' to put in their search engine - will play around tomorrow.

Geoff
Are you struggling with the current crisis Geoff ?
Only asking like. :unsure:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A lot of intermarche shops/garages have service points--- I believe you can overnight also-- never done it ourselves
Is that what they describe as service areas? Does not sound like my sort of place.

If there are so many service points outside campsites where do the authorities think the MHs using them are parking?

I am getting confused.

Geoff.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Different argument altogether and I'm not getting mixed up in that one :doh: :Smile:
I've just told my lovely doggie 'Tazzy Monster' (named after the Tazmanian Devil) what you said and she said 'woof' ... which if I've understood her correctly means you are a wuss! :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is that what they describe as service areas? Does not sound like my sort of place.

If there are so many service points outside campsites where do the authorities think the MHs using them are parking?

I am getting confused.

Geoff.
Some of the service areas are at garages etc but they are meant for those travelling and getting fuel etc en route so do their services at the same time, there are a few which also have stopping places but not many in my experience.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

I am getting confused.

Geoff.
Exactly 😉

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Some of the service areas are at garages etc but they are meant for those travelling and getting fuel etc en route so do their services at the same time, there are a few which also have stopping places but not many in my experience.
Travelling from where though...i mean realistically Portugal isnt that big to require random service points between authorised park ups( that usually have service points) but like you i didn't see very many of them.
If in normal times all the vans that wildcamp in Portugal were to try and park on official spots they would be absolutely rammed same in any country.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Each to their own but I would find it difficult to justify wildcamping in Germany as there always seems to be a Stellplatz close to wherever we want to be, and usually with a good view.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Each to their own but I would find it difficult to justify wildcamping in Germany as there always seems to be a Stellplatz close to wherever we want to be, and usually with a good view.
But a lot of nice wildspots too with less vans.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
You decide.

The interactive Media Bias chart here
The Daily Mail for example is surprisingly classed as only slightly right of centre, but is in between the "Unfair interpretations of the news" and the the "Nonsense damaging to public discourse" sectors.
A more truthful version of the news with a right wing bias would be the Evening Standard.

View attachment 455535
Is the Morning Star off the chart?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Travelling from where though...i mean realistically Portugal isnt that big to require random service points between authorised park ups( that usually have service points) but like you i didn't see very many of them.
If in normal times all the vans that wildcamp in Portugal were to try and park on official spots they would be absolutely rammed same in any country.
From A to B, or A to D via C and B :giggle: ... with the amount of wild camping and other parking used by MHs not everyone stayed on 'official' sites and some enterprising garages obviously thought offering the MH services they would likely go and fill up with fuel too ... the services were sometimes charged for so they'd get payment for those as well. Of course this may also have been used for locals who didn't have the ability to do servicing at home, eg they lived in a flat.

I agree about the official ones becoming rammed, this was already the case so adding in all the ones who wild camp is gonna cause a lot of issues and not just in the summer months, hopefully they'll provide more official ones, if so then we might consider going again.

Dec

Jul 13, 2019
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Pössl 2WIN Style
Exp
Intermarche website has a list of supermarkets you can park overnight not sure if they charge for it though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back